Sampras rattled

1 view

SliceAndDice

Mar 13, 2010, 12:36:39 AM3/13/10
Wow. Things got a little serious after Agassi mentioned the tipping
thing, after Sampras imitated his walk.

Patrick Kehoe

Mar 13, 2010, 1:15:52 AM3/13/10
On Mar 12, 9:36 pm, SliceAndDice <visha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow. Things got a little serious after Agassi mentioned the tipping
> thing, after Sampras imitated his walk.

++ Andre loves to dish out the jokes and verbal jabs but doesn't
always take them as well as he gives 'em... showed again tonight...

Sao Paulo Swallow

Mar 13, 2010, 1:16:43 AM3/13/10

What happened?

SliceAndDice

Mar 13, 2010, 1:18:23 AM3/13/10
On Mar 13, 1:16 am, Sao Paulo Swallow <Sao_Paulo_Swal...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Sampras made fun of Agassi's walk. Agassi called him a tightwad.
Sampras was upset and directed a serve at Andre.

SliceAndDice

Mar 13, 2010, 1:20:50 AM3/13/10
On Mar 13, 1:16 am, Sao Paulo Swallow <Sao_Paulo_Swal...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

OK, here's a better summary. Found this on a tennis forum:
I was just posting this too. But found these threads 1st. Anyone
watching this streaming live? Watching it now. Caught Pete saying he'd
mess around & imitate Agassi & he walked around pigeon toed. Agassi
seemed to act like it didn't bother him but then he said he'd do his
Pete impresonation & he emptied out his pockets & said he had no
money. Crowd cringed & then it got awkward. Pete's next serve was
aimed at Agassi but missed. Agassi then said he's glad he's not a
valet attendant. Pete mentioned that it seems to be getting personal &
then Agassi counters with that everyone already knows about. Courtside
commentators then interview roger on the changeover all mic'd up &
mentions to Roger that he & roger never seem to pull punches below the
belt. Did anyone catch this? I thought it rather unclassy & tasteles
of Agassi. Pete was doing it in all good fun but Agassi seems to have
thin skin. Any thoughts on this?

Sao Paulo Swallow

Mar 13, 2010, 1:21:46 AM3/13/10

Truth hurts apparently.

Patrick Kehoe

Mar 13, 2010, 1:22:51 AM3/13/10
On Mar 12, 10:18 pm, SliceAndDice <visha...@gmail.com> wrote:

++ Sampras made fun of Agassi's walk after being bated by Agassi... I
loved Rafa and Roger looking at one another, while this was going on,
shaking their heads and almost laughing...

TT

Mar 13, 2010, 1:25:41 AM3/13/10

The same scene will be repeated 10 years from now...between Federer
and....Roddick :-P

Patrick Kehoe

Mar 13, 2010, 1:27:38 AM3/13/10
> P- Hide quoted text -

++ I also though showed real class after the match saying that he and
Agassi were friends (despite what Agassi said during his book tour)
and reach his arm out (around Gimble-boob) to put it briefly on
Agassi's shoulder... to which Agassi only smiled but didn't really
have a comeback for that...

ahonkan

Mar 13, 2010, 4:37:29 AM3/13/10

That was terrible of Agassi. Pete imitate Andre in good fun
but Andre hit Pete below the belt by calling him a tightwad.
Andre didn't even say sorry after Pete served an ace that
unfortunately missed its mark (Andre's body). In fact, he
took another swipe at Pete that was in poor taste.
Andre showed that he can't take it as good as he gives.
Roger and Andre had good fun with each other. Pete is not
good at joking around and Rafa's not comfortable cracking
jokes in English, so he stayed quiet.
Gimelstob tried to smooth things out between Andre and
Pete after the match and again, Pete came out classy.
Shame on Andre.
In stark contrast, all the 4 women were classy and had a
lot of fun.

Iceberg

Mar 13, 2010, 4:46:26 AM3/13/10

yeah that's exactly pretty much what happened. Though, Andre was being
quite negative to Sampras right from the start of the match. Also this
incident started when he said 'yeah Pete's always serious, always
gotta be serious, Pete' in a derogatory manner, I thought maybe cos
Sampras was slamming down the serves and not messing around as much as
Agassi, then when Sampras does mess around, Andre gets as you say
unclassy. I dunno why Agassi behaved like this, he really didn't need
to be.

Iceberg

Mar 13, 2010, 4:48:28 AM3/13/10

cool were you there too then?! can't believe work let me go.

Administrator

Mar 13, 2010, 5:57:38 AM3/13/10
On 13/03/10 06:20, SliceAndDice wrote:
> On Mar 13, 1:16 am, Sao Paulo Swallow<Sao_Paulo_Swal...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:

>>> ++ Andre loves to dish out the jokes and verbal jabs but doesn't
>>> always take them as well as he gives 'em... showed again tonight...

>> What happened?
>
> OK, here's a better summary. Found this on a tennis forum:
> I was just posting this too. But found these threads 1st. Anyone
> watching this streaming live? Watching it now. Caught Pete saying he'd
> mess around& imitate Agassi& he walked around pigeon toed. Agassi

> seemed to act like it didn't bother him but then he said he'd do his
> Pete impresonation& he emptied out his pockets& said he had no
> money. Crowd cringed& then it got awkward. Pete's next serve was

> aimed at Agassi but missed. Agassi then said he's glad he's not a
> valet attendant. Pete mentioned that it seems to be getting personal&
> then Agassi counters with that everyone already knows about. Courtside
> commentators then interview roger on the changeover all mic'd up&
> mentions to Roger that he& roger never seem to pull punches below the
> belt. Did anyone catch this? I thought it rather unclassy& tasteles

> of Agassi. Pete was doing it in all good fun but Agassi seems to have
> thin skin. Any thoughts on this?

Despite what they say there is clearly no love lost between Pete and Andre.

Superdave

Mar 13, 2010, 6:07:19 AM3/13/10
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 10:57:38 +0000, Administrator <Admini...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Well without Pete. Dre would have been the goat at least for a while.

Without Dre, Roger may still be chasing Pete.

But mostly I think Dre is pissed that Pete has not done more for the game and I
wholeheartedly agree with him on that.

Pete disappeared, played golf and basically said fuck you to the sport that made
him rich. And, it is only recently that he has tried to change that image a
"little bit". I suspect that was at Rogers urging too. Roger didn't look too
happy about todays incident either. I think he feels it may be a setback and
Pete will return to hide in his shell. If so, Agassi is to be blamed.

Whisper

Mar 13, 2010, 7:07:50 AM3/13/10

Agassi has always had an obnoxious personality though - can't change
spots.

ahonkan

Mar 13, 2010, 7:10:55 AM3/13/10
On Mar 13, 4:07 pm, Superdave <the.big.rst.kah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 10:57:38 +0000, Administrator <Administra...@gmail.com>

Isn't that precisely what Mrs Dre did? Graf is not liked
(by the ex-players) because she didn't do a thing for
the sport that gave her everything. You couldn't fault
either Pete or Graf for their on-court behaviour (neither
would win a popularity contest like Roger or Kim), but
they gave the impression that they were in it for the money.

What Andre did was shameful. He clealy has issues with
Pete. He could have stuck his tongue out or done some
funny impression of Pete. But no, he got mean & nasty.

Whisper

Mar 13, 2010, 7:14:52 AM3/13/10

Look, it's no secret Agassi has a personality disorder & is very
child-like in his thinking. This has been a constant theme since age 16
when I 1st saw him.

I saw him on Ellen recently trying to flog his banal book, & I felt
bad/cringed watching it. At the end he sat there like a complete dork &
told Ellen he loved her. Not in the way most people would say it - ie
joking/smiling, but staring at her like a retard & then repeating he
loved her. Ellen couldn't work out what the hell he was on about & it
was very awkward.

I can't believe he has any sophisticated fans out there - I'm not
joking, I really don't believe it.

Whisper

Mar 13, 2010, 7:17:19 AM3/13/10

Sampras is a normal human being & never cared for the fame bs. Agassi
sadly has some kind of chromosomal disorder as far as I can tell.

Superdave

Mar 13, 2010, 7:23:47 AM3/13/10

Not sure what you are saying becuse your english is so fucked up
but I agree that Graf may belong in the same category as Sampras if that
is what you are complaining about.

HOWEVER since Graf married Agassi she may consider herself part of
his giving which is probably very well true and her only "sin" is giving
up her identity as part of it. This, would be a very noble act.

Whisper

Mar 13, 2010, 7:25:44 AM3/13/10

Why is everyone surprised? Andre has always been a cunt with a huge
ego. Remember he spat at umpires etc

Superdave

Mar 13, 2010, 7:35:18 AM3/13/10

Agassi has his faults but he is also a generous philanthropic person.

Pete has his faults but he is also not a generous philanthropic person.

That sums it up really.

greg...@hotmail.com

Mar 13, 2010, 7:49:31 AM3/13/10

Wasn't that McEnroe?

Superdave

Mar 13, 2010, 7:54:53 AM3/13/10

ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

whisper has both a "short" and "selective" memory!

Gracchus

Mar 13, 2010, 8:48:06 AM3/13/10
On Mar 13, 1:15 pm, Patrick Kehoe <pke...@telus.net> wrote:

> ++ Andre loves to dish out the jokes and verbal jabs but doesn't
> always take them as well as he gives 'em... showed again tonight...

I never liked Agassi from the time I first saw him and never bought
the image makeover he did later on.

I did read his book though. It was very entertaining, but revealing
too in exposing his--shall we say--personality deficiencies. He
recalls incidents that I remember watching and thinking what a jerk he
was. But in his view, he is always the good guy being unfairly
victimized. One could attribute it to his screwed-up childhood, as he
continually does in the book.

felangey

Mar 13, 2010, 9:51:11 AM3/13/10
> Pete has his faults but he is also not a generous philanthropic person.

How can you possibly know this? Truly altruistic philanthropy is done in
private...not in front of the world's media.

Rodjk #613

Mar 13, 2010, 10:03:19 AM3/13/10

arnab.z@gmail

Mar 13, 2010, 11:51:04 AM3/13/10
On Mar 13, 12:21 pm, Sao Paulo Swallow <Sao_Paulo_Swal...@yahoo.com>

wrote:
> On Mar 12, 10:18 pm, SliceAndDice <visha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 13, 1:16 am, Sao Paulo Swallow <Sao_Paulo_Swal...@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:

> > > What happened?
>
> > Sampras made fun of Agassi's walk. Agassi called him a tightwad.
> > Sampras was upset and directed a serve at Andre.
>
> Truth hurts apparently.

Agassi carried the entire show by himself. Making funny comments all
the time. The other 3 players barely spoke.

SliceAndDice

Mar 13, 2010, 11:53:34 AM3/13/10

I thought Agassi was a hoot until things got uncomfortable. But you
are wrong, Roger was pretty loquacious as well. He and Andre had a
nice banter going.

SliceAndDice

Mar 13, 2010, 11:56:14 AM3/13/10

Rafa is obviously not comfortable conversing in English and was
silent. Sampras just seemed plain uncomfortable throughout. Maybe it
has got to do with him losing his top dog status to Fed, and his cold
vibes with Agassi after the book.

arnab.z@gmail

Mar 13, 2010, 12:38:55 PM3/13/10

I think it got about 15 minutes to get Roger warmed up and get talking
a little. :) Agassi was directing the show from the get go.

Manco

Mar 13, 2010, 12:47:26 PM3/13/10
No excuse there as Roger is Swiss, yet his English is almost as good
as native speakers. Whereas Rafa can't be arsed to get to even basic
English. Or is that Engrish, no?

arnab.z@gmail

Mar 13, 2010, 12:47:32 PM3/13/10

IMO Agassi is the only guy in there with some kind of personality, a
great personality actually. He had a funny line coming out every
thirty second.

Federer may be good at doing multilingual interviews, but spontaneous,
exciting conversational banter in English is probably not his forte.
Rafa has the language barrier thing going, but I doubt if he is even
half as spontaneous and funny in Spanish as Agassi is in English. Pete
lived up to his reputation quite well.

TT

Mar 13, 2010, 12:56:05 PM3/13/10

You have a point there.

RahimAsif

Mar 13, 2010, 1:22:16 PM3/13/10
On Mar 12, 11:36 pm, SliceAndDice <visha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow. Things got a little serious after Agassi mentioned the tipping
> thing, after Sampras imitated his walk.

Agassi was way out of line bringing that up here. He could have
imitated the tongue or sometihng. And Sampras, the serve aimed at
Agassi - childish...

Whisper

Mar 13, 2010, 3:26:58 PM3/13/10

Yeah, well at some point we all grow up. The guy is just not too sharp
& has been pampered his whole life. There is nothing redeeming about
him, except maybe the contributions he makes to charity etc Can't
imagine why anyone would like the guy on a personal level.

Sao Paulo Swallow

Mar 13, 2010, 3:48:52 PM3/13/10

Enough about you. What do you think of Agassi?

greg...@hotmail.com

Mar 13, 2010, 4:03:18 PM3/13/10
> No, it was Agassi:http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1842&dat=19900901&id=SlEeAAAAIB...

> Sorry about the line wrap...
>
> Rodjk #613

McEnroe did spit at a linesman as far as I remember ... strangely I
don't remember Whisper describing his hero in the same language as he
used for Agassi ...

Calimero

Mar 13, 2010, 4:11:40 PM3/13/10

I trust Steffi more than you.

Max

CloudsRest

Mar 13, 2010, 5:29:47 PM3/13/10
On Mar 12, 9:36 pm, SliceAndDice <visha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow. Things got a little serious after Agassi mentioned the tipping
> thing, after Sampras imitated his walk.

Just watched it on DVR. Clearly there are issues and tensions between
the two. It's too bad they used a night like that to air some of
their dirty laundry in public.

bob

Mar 13, 2010, 7:22:17 PM3/13/10
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 23:17:19 +1100, Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

although sampras was a known "cheapskate" when it came to picking up
tabs, this apparently has taken a huge toll on agassi. he seems to
care about how much sampras tips a valet more than about any other
topic. guess agassi's bitterness (seems genuine bitternenss these
days) thats what happens to ya when a guy stomps on your career.

bob

bob

Mar 13, 2010, 7:27:50 PM3/13/10

if they end up divorced you're going to call agassi the dirtiest
liberal sonovab!tch you ever saw. and somehow blame all Americans for
it. :-)

bob

Raja, The Great

Mar 13, 2010, 7:29:54 PM3/13/10

It will be hilarious if Agassi cheats on her. Max's head might
explode.

Superdave

Mar 13, 2010, 7:51:37 PM3/13/10
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 07:26:58 +1100, Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>Gracchus wrote:
>> On Mar 13, 1:15 pm, Patrick Kehoe <pke...@telus.net> wrote:
>>
>>> ++ Andre loves to dish out the jokes and verbal jabs but doesn't
>>> always take them as well as he gives 'em... showed again tonight...
>>

>> I never liked Agassi from the time I first saw him and never bought
>> the image makeover he did later on.
>>
>> I did read his book though. It was very entertaining, but revealing
>> too in exposing his--shall we say--personality deficiencies. He
>> recalls incidents that I remember watching and thinking what a jerk he
>> was. But in his view, he is always the good guy being unfairly
>> victimized. One could attribute it to his screwed-up childhood, as he
>> continually does in the book.
>

>Yeah, well at some point we all grow up.

we do ?

Superdave

Mar 13, 2010, 8:05:10 PM3/13/10

Maybe he should consider pre-emptive "detonation" no ?

duaner

Mar 14, 2010, 11:36:57 AM3/14/10
On Mar 13, 1:36 am, SliceAndDice <visha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow. Things got a little serious after Agassi mentioned the tipping
> thing, after Sampras imitated his walk.

Hardly.

adam thirnis

Mar 14, 2010, 12:01:11 PM3/14/10

again?

Jack Newhouse

Mar 19, 2010, 2:27:02 PM3/19/10
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 21:36:39 -0800 (PST), SliceAndDice
<vish...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Wow. Things got a little serious after Agassi mentioned the tipping
>thing, after Sampras imitated his walk.

I was really amazed by that. I'm watching it right now for the first
time. The score is 5-5 right now.

As much as I like Andre, and he is a fine guy, I think he really went
below the belt bringing up something like that on a Tennis court where
millions of people are watching.

Those two have known each other since they were preteenise. So I guess
their history is way more than what we know.

I have to give Pete credit for being a gentleman and not firing back
at Andre like we would have.

I mean Andred admitted to taking steroids!? Yet nothing was done to
him.

Pete could have easily made mention of that, but it probably would
have escalated to fist fight level had he done that. I think he
certainly would have been in his rights to say something about that
though.

Come on Andred! I know you have more class than that.

Don't wait for the ecomony to turn around.

Don't avoid this because you don't agree with me.

Get aboard immediately and start living the good life!

http://heartland.buildlastingsuccess.com

Jack Newhouse

Mar 19, 2010, 2:45:37 PM3/19/10

How many top Tennis players have written books in the last 20 years?
It might be time to read a bunch of them. Which ones were the best?

Ted S.

Mar 19, 2010, 3:38:50 PM3/19/10
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:45:37 -0500, Jack Newhouse wrote:

> How many top Tennis players have written books in the last 20 years?

Andy Murray's written a few dozen.

--
Ted Schuerzinger
tedstennis at myrealbox dot com