The most underrated player in rst..

PeteWasLucky

Aug 17, 2017, 7:10:14 AM8/17/17
https://youtu.be/yNJbfggF6AE

He was one of the quickest players that take the ball on the rise,
definitely gifted but lacked a great serve.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Manuel aka Xax

Aug 17, 2017, 3:14:32 PM8/17/17
Quite possibly.
One of the most underrated, if not the.
I enjoyed their FO SF from ???? (I can't remember the year), it was like HC tennis on clay.

The Iceberg

Aug 17, 2017, 4:12:53 PM8/17/17
problem was he had absolutely no interest in winning a slam whatsoever and despite clearly having the ability to beat Fed, he didn't ever bother turning up, he liked to hand the match over instead, except that time he was under pressure from the mafia at the O2 exo that time back in 2009.

*skriptis

Aug 17, 2017, 4:24:53 PM8/17/17
The Iceberg <iceber...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
Yes, russian mafia bet on him to win so he had to, had no choice.

TennisGuy

Aug 17, 2017, 4:56:20 PM8/17/17
On 8/17/2017 7:10 AM, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> https://youtu.be/yNJbfggF6AE
>
> He was one of the quickest players that take the ball on the rise,
> definitely gifted but lacked a great serve.

That would have to be Court_1.
I hear she's got a vicious FH.

Patrick Kehoe

Aug 17, 2017, 7:54:32 PM8/17/17
Nalbandian... could be incredible on his day... if he'd been half as fit at Denko, he'd have been 2tice as good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjFi5aS_zNo

Patrick Kehoe

Aug 17, 2017, 7:57:28 PM8/17/17
On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 4:10:14 AM UTC-7, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> https://youtu.be/yNJbfggF6AE
>
> He was one of the quickest players that take the ball on the rise,
> definitely gifted but lacked a great serve.

Nalbandian scalping Nadal and Federer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZMIrZQjjZI&spfreload=5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odkPtGvB6ck

Patrick Kehoe

Aug 17, 2017, 8:00:25 PM8/17/17
Fed in outrageous form against Nalbandian... BUT it shows the level needed to beat him when Nalbandian was fully engaged...

John Liang

Aug 17, 2017, 9:03:41 PM8/17/17
Nalbandian was a couple of points from winning his 2003 USO semi against Roddick. He was a crafty player, Denko is a bit more robotic with his game.

John Liang

Aug 17, 2017, 9:06:18 PM8/17/17
Fat Dave was probably the most talented player not to win a slam in the last decade, his game could reach greater height than Denko's

Carey

Aug 17, 2017, 9:52:38 PM8/17/17
On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 4:57:28 PM UTC-7, Patrick Kehoe wrote:
Some great depth on Nalby's groundies in those clips, particularly against
Federer.

John Liang

Aug 18, 2017, 5:56:26 AM8/18/17
If you use whisperian logic of woulda, coulda, and shoulda, Sampras on steroid was just one line call away from been the zero slam wonder as oppose to 1 ....

Manuel aka Xax

Aug 18, 2017, 3:32:13 PM8/18/17
+1

Quite similar legacy.
Nalby had better hand, Davy was a crazy early ball hitter.
Didn't both win the WTF / YEC ?

Manuel aka Xax

Aug 18, 2017, 3:35:01 PM8/18/17
+1 :-)

AZ

Aug 18, 2017, 4:02:54 PM8/18/17
Fantastic clips. Thanks! I almost forgot about these. Peak Nalbandian almost toyed with peak Fed in Paris 2007 there. What a performance! Great hands, great movement, strong penetrating strokes, great rallying with changing directions at extreme angles, good defense, smart and patient point construction, yo-yoing Fed from side to side, and ending the rally with a shot into the open court... man! He had everything. The commentators were in awe how he manhandled Fed there. They were fawning over his talent and skills. Definitely one of the biggest underachievers, if not THE underachiever of his generation.

MBDunc

Aug 19, 2017, 4:55:36 AM8/19/17
About similar non-slam achievements and actual play quality: All these names are in tier1 but if in a subjective order: Nalby > Rios > Denko > Mecir > Corretja.

.mikko

John Liang

Aug 19, 2017, 5:02:49 AM8/19/17
In my opinion I would rate Nalby, Mecir and Rios higher than Denko and Corretja.

Manuel aka Xax

Aug 19, 2017, 8:52:24 AM8/19/17
Denko and Corretja lower then the others, I too would favor Niko over Alex.

The other three are a lot harder to rank, let's try...

I'd say Rios comes on top (not related with his #1 ATP spot), such a exquisite hand, so much flair (Hingis is the only player that comes to my mind, for near same era, with as much tennis instinct in her blood).

Mecir would be my second, by a tiny margin : the way he was sometimes totally toying with any legend he faced, gosh... that was freaky and enjoyable (okay I hated it when it was Edberg on the other side !)
:-)

Nalby was also able to toy with giant, yet a "narrower range" (Nadal & Federer, as I recall. Even was one of the two early nemesis for Roger, along with Hewitt).

Carey

Aug 19, 2017, 10:02:44 AM8/19/17
On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 5:52:24 AM UTC-7, Manuel aka Xax wrote:

> Denko and Corretja lower then the others, I too would favor Niko over Alex.
>
> The other three are a lot harder to rank, let's try...
>
> I'd say Rios comes on top (not related with his #1 ATP spot), such a exquisite hand, so much flair (Hingis is the only player that comes to my mind, for near same era, with as much tennis instinct in her blood).
>
> Mecir would be my second, by a tiny margin : the way he was sometimes totally toying with any legend he faced, gosh... that was freaky and enjoyable (okay I hated it when it was Edberg on the other side !)
> :-)
>
> Nalby was also able to toy with giant, yet a "narrower range" (Nadal & Federer, as I recall. Even was one of the two early nemesis for Roger, along with Hewitt).

I agree with all of this. Mecir was my personal favorite of these three, but
I would put Rios at the top equally with him, then Nalby.
Don't see Davydenko and Corretja as really close to them.

Patrick Kehoe

Aug 19, 2017, 11:46:08 AM8/19/17
On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 5:52:24 AM UTC-7, Manuel aka Xax wrote:
Fascinating to do a quick scan of Rios and DN's careers:

Rios
World #1
18 ATP Titles
Singles Record: 391-192

Majors:
AO - Final
FO - Quarters(2)
W - 4thR
USO - Quarters

Tour Final: Round Robin
Olympics: 1st Round (2000)

Nalbandian
11 ATP Titles
Singles Record: 383-191

Majors:
AO - SF
FO - Semis(2)
W - Final
USO - Semis

World Tour Final: W (2005)
Olympics: 3rd Round (2008)
Davis Cup: 3 Finals

Didn't check on their respective Davis Cup records, but that would be interesting to see.

Very close careers, in most respects... amazingly close really... Nalby just a bit better at the majors in the second week than Marcello...