Quite a good Manic monday for me (contest wise, at least) :-)

Manuel aka Xax

Jul 10, 2017, 5:19:40 PM7/10/17
Muguruza beat Kerber (so glad, Angie has been mostly a disgrace this year), and gifted a chance to Halep to get #1, if she makes it one round further, Svitolina being out.

Ostpenko also won (without having to play Yet Another Decider).

Venus didn't use a great bunch of stamina to win (good news, given she'll be facing the quite young Ostapenko)

Kuznetsova is having a second youth (or near)

Federer was just too strong, even for a well rested & in form Dimitrov

These were the "good" news

---

Now for lesser "feel good" results:
Muller didn't fold, and quote logically won (in the decider he had Nadal 0/15 or better on many more games than he was challenged on his own serve)

Paire didn't play his best, yet he forced Murray to keep his focus during most of that match

Too bad, the tournament's board didn't choose to have the Djokovic / Mannarino started on the centre court after the Federer / Dimitrov match (will be the first match on that court, tomorrow, wich is a bit odd)

---

Finally, few disappointments:
Zverev lost a match despite having a 2 sets to 1 lead, and worse, it was to Raonic (I like more Sacha's game than Milos)

Garcia wasn't far from Konta

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 10, 2017, 11:44:11 PM7/10/17
+1

:)

Muller was a performance, literally, of a life time for him. Yes, he's having a career level year, but, to play with that composure over 5 sets and to out duel Rafa, that was some clear headed tactical tennis and razor sharp execution from Muller, especially on the wide out serving, his 1-2 off the serve (head high volleys to terminate points) and some decent down the line forehands, at timely intervals from Gilles. He rewrote the GMuller play book for coming up empty when it really matters at a major. So, well done to him.

Muguruza, my personal favourite on the women's side, will take some stopping; she's seriously dialled in at this point. All the ladies know this years Wimbledon might be the chance of a life time for many of them/all of them. And they are playing accordingly!

Feds certainly gave Dimi a serious life lesson out there. Feds was impressive. He looks to be trending up. Raonic next. I don't think Wed.'s match will look anything like their semi-final from last year... just a feeling.

Nole certainly got a bad break scheduling wise; that should inspire to mop up Mannarino with even more conviction. Though Mannarino can be more than funky, at times. Sometimes he can string together some impressive ball-striking; the problem for Mannarino has always been consistency (tactically and in terms of shot-making) during long and taxing matches, especially at the majors. He can internally 'pout' at times, being mercurial that feeds into both the positive side of his tennis nature (creativity) and the negative side (moodiness/concentration lapses).

I haven't seen much of Cilic this fortnight. How is his return of serve? That CAN BE an issue for him when it gets deep into majors, on all the surfaces.

I can see Ostapenko and Venus just blistering 85% of every shot tomorrow... I am hoping the kid does well and give Venus a real fight.

SliceAndDice

Jul 10, 2017, 11:52:10 PM7/10/17
Is Mannarino the flattest ballstriker on the men's side? Could be very effective on this surface if he executes.

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 10, 2017, 11:55:37 PM7/10/17
He's creative as well... but temperamental and quirky at times... his concentration can leave him at odd times in contested matches... so, it will be mainly about staying consistent for Nole and use a thousand cuts to take him apart...

PeteWasLucky

Jul 11, 2017, 12:14:19 AM7/11/17
> Muller was a performance, literally, of a life time for him. Yes, he's having a career level year, but, to play with that composure over 5 sets and to out duel Rafa, that was some clear headed tactical tennis and razor sharp execution from Muller, especially on the wide out serving, his 1-2 off the serve (head high volleys to terminate points) and some decent down the line forehands, at timely intervals from Gilles. He rewrote the GMuller play book for coming up empty when it really matters at a major. So, well done to him.

Muller wasn't a superman, he played a good match.
It's Nadal that doesn't know how to play big servers/hitters specially on grass.
He stands very far away to return serve and his return is to hit up setters for the opponent to finish.