OT: Jimmy Carter calls for Single-Payer Healthcare

Carey

Jul 31, 2017, 11:43:52 AM7/31/17

soccerfan777

Jul 31, 2017, 3:27:34 PM7/31/17
Carter is a good guy. The only politician I liked apart from Sanders. Rest are pure scum

calim...@gmx.de

Jul 31, 2017, 3:30:34 PM7/31/17
On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 9:27:34 PM UTC+2, soccerfan777 wrote:
> Carter is a good guy. The only politician I liked apart from Sanders. Rest are pure scum

Sanders?
The old guy who thought Venezuela is a role model for USA?
Are you nuts?

Max

StephenJ

Jul 31, 2017, 3:35:48 PM7/31/17
On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 2:27:34 PM UTC-5, soccerfan777 wrote:
> Carter is a good guy. The only politician I liked apart from Sanders. > >Rest are pure scum

Pretty good guy, though he does have a vindictive streak. Poor President.

jdeluise

Jul 31, 2017, 3:44:30 PM7/31/17
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 12:27:32 -0700, soccerfan777 wrote:

> Carter is a good guy. The only politician I liked apart from Sanders.
> Rest are pure scum

You liked him? Weren't you something like 4 when he left office?

calim...@gmx.de

Jul 31, 2017, 4:47:02 PM7/31/17
A four-year-old little Indian guy perhaps found Carter a good guy because he was weakening the USA and by this the western world. And now he makes his money there!

Max

TT

Jul 31, 2017, 5:44:19 PM7/31/17
News travel slow to India.

bob

Jul 31, 2017, 8:31:15 PM7/31/17
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 12:35:46 -0700 (PDT), StephenJ <sja...@cox.net>
wrote:

>On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 2:27:34 PM UTC-5, soccerfan777 wrote:
>> Carter is a good guy. The only politician I liked apart from Sanders. > >Rest are pure scum
>
>Pretty good guy, though he does have a vindictive streak. Poor President.

carter had good intentions, and IMO could've been a much better
president. he was a victim of a few unlucky (and bad) decisions and
very bad timing. but in the end, yes, the results were poor.

bob

soccerfan777

Jul 31, 2017, 11:51:49 PM7/31/17
He was President during the worst financial crisis in the world - the late 70s. He cannot be blamed. I saw documentaries of all the Presidents so far and Jimmy seemed the nicest guy by far.

read this...

http://www.newsweek.com/jimmy-carter-was-better-president-you-think-368843

"And despite his personal big government sympathies, Carter's most lasting legacy is as the Great Deregulator. Carter deregulated oil, trucking, railroads, airlines and beer"

soccerfan777

Jul 31, 2017, 11:56:04 PM7/31/17
And I was 4 when Borg retired. Does it mean I cannot appreciate his tennis by watching old tennis. He is my fourth favorite after Lendl, McEnroe and Federer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Libertarian/comments/51pmax/jimmy_carter_was_our_best_modern_president_and_is/?st=j5t1rkzy&sh=edf027a9

He was advised to invade Iran to secure his re-election, but he told his advisors he wouldn't start a war just to win an election. (When does this ever happen?)
He stood against the military industrial complex and denied the military excess funding.
He was the ONLY president since World War II to not bomb a single country.
He pardoned Vietnam draft dodgers (It was their right to not be conscripted)
He appointed Paul Volcker
He deregulated several industries
He didn't run the country trillions into debt (Looking at you Reagan, Bush and Obama)
He slowed down the incarceration rate before it quadrupled under Reagan, Bush, Clinton

soccerfan777

Jul 31, 2017, 11:56:50 PM7/31/17
Bwahahaha... good one. Yeah we still watch Remington Steele as Conan says.

soccerfan777

Aug 1, 2017, 12:05:43 AM8/1/17
https://nightly.net/topic/73947-in-retrospect-jimmy-carter-is-a-highly-underrated-president/

But I was thinking about it this morning, and I wondered if I had let the conventional wisdom bias my thinking. I realized, that in actuality, maybe Carter is just remembered as a "bad" president because he got owned in the 1980 debate with Reagan, and due to cirumstances largely outside his control, than anything he really did.

Here are some of the successes of Carter's presidency:

-Reduced capital gains tax from over 40% to 28%.
-Appointed Volcker as Fed chairman, possibly the best Fed chairman we had, and probably the true cause of the 80s boom (which is misattributed to Reagan). Though in fairness, Reagan re-appointed Volcker as well.
-Instrumental in the negotiation of the Camp David Accords. Arguably the only positive thing in the past 50 years to happen in the Middle East. People point to Clinton's Oslo Accords, but let's be honest here- they ain't done sh-t.
-Continued relations with China, including recognizing One China, which was key to establishing our trade network.
-SALT II, which was a success.
-Led a fiscally conservative and responsible presidency; implemented necessary austerity measures (though they were unpopular), which were important in curbing inflation.
-De-regulation of many industries (finance, railroads, etc), but most importantly airlines. This is the only reason why any of you people on this message board are able to fly today. While I personally kinda wish the skies were still exclusively for the rich, I will reluctantly confess that de-regulation of the airlines has been a huge win for the American consumer.

One item that is a "mixed bag," and that is the Carter Doctrine and our support of the Mujaheddin. I'm conflicted on this one, because while we succeeded in a short term goal of expelling the Soviets from any route to the Gulf, we ended up creating a monster, in Islamic radical theocracy, that has come back to haunt us. If we're gonna blame Carter for this though, I think we also have to blame Reagan, because he continued the same policy.

Now as far as the so-called Carter failures:

-Iran Hostage Crisis. I think this is unfairly attributed to Carter. First off, he didn't put the Shah there, that was Eisenhower. Second, it's not like he caused the '79 Iran Revolution either. All of these events were completely out of his control- he just happened to be in office when the climax of decades of US policy towards Iran came about. I understand he gets blamed for "inaction," but that is an outright falsehood. First off, there was Operation Eagle Claw. Yes, it was a catastrophic failure, but someone explain to me why that is Carter's fault. Second, what eventually led to the hostages release was due in large part to Carter's freezing of Iranian assets. That was the key to the negotiations at the Algiers Accords, which happened before Reagan was in office. The fact that the hostages were released a day into Reagan's presidency is irrelevant, because the negotiations for their release were actually conducted by Carter over the frozen bank assets. Reagan, I'm sorry to say, didn't do sh-t.

-'79 energy crisis. Again- unfairly attributed to Carter. The panic, sparked by the Iran Revolution and uneven OPEC production, was mainly fueled by people remembering the '73 energy crisis and freaking out, and that crisis was due to Nixon's support of Israel in the Yom Kippur War. I don't see how any of this has to do with Carter, if anything Carter helped the situation due to deregulating gas price controls.

-'70s stagflation. This was caused by the oil supply shock above, which was not Carter's doing. Carter actually deserves credit for ending stagflation, because the appointment of Volcker led to the necessary tight monetary policy and austerity measures, which admittedly caused a recession via high interest rates, but that was the only way to cure the problem. By the time credit was loosened again in 1980, inflation was under control and the recession came to a relatively quick end. However, Carter had already lost re-election by that point and so Reagan gets the credit for the recovery, even though Reagan had actually only been in office for a few months and didn't really do anything.

There is no denying that Carter is a Southern, Dixiecrat bible-thumping Baptist farmer redneck, which tends to be everything I depise. But a careful look at his presidency reveals that he actually didn't make any bad decisions. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don't think he is a great president, or even a good president, but he in no way deserves to be lumped in the same group as Pierce or Buchanan.

soccerfan777

Aug 1, 2017, 12:12:25 AM8/1/17
On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 2:44:30 PM UTC-5, jdeluise wrote:
Also I never saw Lendl or McEnroe win a single slam. I started watching tennis since 1986. And they used to show mostly Wimbledon back then. And never the AO.
They might have shown USO, but I dont remember watching it. USO was late night anyway. And I was too young back then to wake up that late. And 1989 FO was the first FO I remember... that bloody pygmy rat winning it. I never supported Edberg but I did for that final. I watched almost all the slams since 1990 FO though.

The Iceberg

Aug 1, 2017, 2:05:00 AM8/1/17
On Monday, 31 July 2017 20:27:34 UTC+1, soccerfan777 wrote:
> Carter is a good guy. The only politician I liked apart from Sanders. Rest are pure scum

yet you campaigned and voted for Hillary.

The Iceberg

Aug 1, 2017, 2:07:55 AM8/1/17
so he was the one that sold out to China and led to Obama being China's poodle.

Whisper

Aug 1, 2017, 6:22:24 AM8/1/17
Raja peaked at age 4. That's why he loves Zepfloyd/Lendl. They were
peak when he was a toddler.

---
http://www.avg.com

*skriptis

Aug 1, 2017, 6:24:56 AM8/1/17
soccerfan777 <zepf...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
Why did you come to live in the country of the people you despise?

So you're either very stupid and ignorant man, or an invader.
Which one?

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

soccerfan777

Aug 1, 2017, 10:53:57 AM8/1/17
I despise Hillary even more than Trump. And no I didnt vote. I took the Gracchus position - which is no vote.

soccerfan777

Aug 1, 2017, 10:53:57 AM8/1/17
On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 5:22:24 AM UTC-5, Whisper wrote:
> On 1/08/2017 5:44 AM, jdeluise wrote:
> > On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 12:27:32 -0700, soccerfan777 wrote:
> >
> >> Carter is a good guy. The only politician I liked apart from Sanders.
> >> Rest are pure scum
> >
> > You liked him? Weren't you something like 4 when he left office?
> >

> Raja peaked at age 4. That's why he loves Zepfloyd/Lendl. They were
> peak when he was a toddler.

Learn to insult better, idiot!

soccerfan777

Aug 1, 2017, 10:55:13 AM8/1/17
I dont. And what has this got to do with anything I posted. Are you on drugs?

> So you're either very stupid and ignorant man, or an invader.
> Which one?

Get skull fucked. You Croat subhuman. I hopes Trump bombs the village you come from.

*skriptis

Aug 1, 2017, 11:06:02 AM8/1/17
Weak

*skriptis

Aug 1, 2017, 11:07:55 AM8/1/17
soccerfan777 <zepf...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
Grachus voted
for Trump just kept it secret. It was obvious back
then and it still is.

stephenJ

Aug 1, 2017, 12:03:54 PM8/1/17
On 7/31/2017 10:51 PM, soccerfan777 wrote:
> On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 7:31:15 PM UTC-5, bob wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 12:35:46 -0700 (PDT), StephenJ <sja...@cox.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Pretty good guy, though he does have a vindictive streak. Poor President.
>>
>> carter had good intentions, and IMO could've been a much better
>> president. he was a victim of a few unlucky (and bad) decisions and
>> very bad timing. but in the end, yes, the results were poor.
>>
>> bob
>
> He was President during the worst financial crisis in the world - the late 70s. He >cannot be blamed.

US economic and global power fell considerably under Carter. People who
experienced him judged his presidency a failure. I remember.

---

Carey

Aug 1, 2017, 12:12:52 PM8/1/17
On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 9:03:54 AM UTC-7, StephenJ wrote:
> On 7/31/2017 10:51 PM, soccerfan777 wrote:
> > On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 7:31:15 PM UTC-5, bob wrote:

> >> carter had good intentions, and IMO could've been a much better
> >> president. he was a victim of a few unlucky (and bad) decisions and
> >> very bad timing. but in the end, yes, the results were poor.
> >>
> >> bob
> >
> > He was President during the worst financial crisis in the world - the late 70s. He >cannot be blamed.
>
> US economic and global power fell considerably under Carter. People who
> experienced him judged his presidency a failure. I remember.

I cannot prove it, but I think that was going to happen/ was happening anyway,
for two reasons:

Falling rate of corporate profit in USA post-1970

Arab Oil embargo 1973

It's worth remembering Gerald Ford's 'WIN' program, too.

stephenJ

Aug 1, 2017, 12:30:32 PM8/1/17
Fairly or unfairly, people expect their leaders to turn negative
situations around, not throw up their hands and say the bad outcomes are
inevitable.

soccerfan777

Aug 1, 2017, 6:23:23 PM8/1/17
On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 10:07:55 AM UTC-5, *skriptis wrote:
> soccerfan777 <zepf...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> >>
> >> yet you campaigned and voted for Hillary.
> >
> > I despise Hillary even more than Trump. And no I didnt vote. I took the Gracchus position - which is no vote.
> >

> Grachus voted
> for Trump just kept it secret. It was obvious back
> then and it still is.
> --
Its obvious you are a dickhead.

bob

Aug 1, 2017, 7:46:31 PM8/1/17
carter also did something that i think was good, but political
suicide. he told americans that they needed to tighten up the old belt
a little bit, that world events were going to cause a little shift in
the living standard.

bob

*skriptis

Aug 2, 2017, 2:39:13 AM8/2/17
soccerfan777 <zepf...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 10:07:55 AM UTC-5, *skriptis wrote:
>> soccerfan777 <zepf...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:

>> > I despise Hillary even more than Trump. And no I didnt vote. I took the Gracchus position - which is no vote.
>> >

>> Grachus voted
>> for Trump just kept it secret. It was obvious back
>> then and it still is.
>> --
> Its obvious you are a dickhead.

I just don't care about mean/irrelevant people calling me names,
and Grachus for some reason, feels that openly admitting his
preference *between the two options* would have ruined his
reputation. He's kinda old school.

I certainly don't claim he's a 100% Trump supporter. But he voted him.

jdeluise

Aug 2, 2017, 3:08:26 AM8/2/17
On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 08:39:12 +0200, *skriptis wrote:

> I certainly don't claim he's a 100% Trump supporter. But he voted him.

StephenJ voted for Hillary. yup

Carey

Sep 27, 2017, 9:45:11 PM9/27/17
"If DemocRats are not for single-payer, what are they good for?"

Answer: Donor$ !

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/59cac310e4b028e6bb0a6670

bob

Sep 27, 2017, 10:11:46 PM9/27/17
On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 18:45:09 -0700 (PDT), Carey <carey...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>"If DemocRats are not for single-payer, what are they good for?"
>Answer: Donor$ !
>http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/59cac310e4b028e6bb0a6670

"If Democrats aren’t with us on this issue, they’re against us."

i think this question has been answered. they're on the take like
everyone else in washington. the swamp creatures will not go
willingly.

bob