Federer Still Winless v. Top 10 in 2011

GOYLE

Apr 15, 2011, 11:03:46 PM4/15/11
TENNIS-X

Federer Still Winless v. Top 10 in 2011

by Sean Randall 4/15/2011

Remember a few years ago when Roger Federer essentially tore through
an entire season without losing to a Top 10 play? I think he amassed
some ridiculous number like 23-0 against his top foes during the
streak. Well, times as we have seen, are a changing.

On a blustery afternoon at the Monte Carlo Tennis Masters, Federer
dropped to 0-5 this season vs. the creme de le creme of the men’s
tennis world courtesy of a 6-4, 6-4 setback to World No. 9 Jurgen
Melzer.

Federer has never lost to Melzer in his life in their previous three
meetings, nor had he lost a set that is until today.

“I don’t think I played terrible,” Federer said. “Obviously, it was
still the first week of clay, so I don’t expect myself to play my very
best. I think it’s been a solid tournament.

“I think I should have definitely gotten one of the sets. Every time I
had this slight opening, things didn’t go my way. I thought he did
well. He played aggressive, played the right way he was supposed to.”

The problem for Federer, who hasn’t won a title since Doha at the
start of the season, is that he’s just not beating the top players,
any of them. I can give him a pass or cut him slack for losing to
Novak Djokovic - everyone has - and even to Nadal, although the effort
was rather meek in Miami last month. However, a guy like Federer
cannot lose to Melzer. Not when he’s trying to make a statement that
he’s still a threat to win major titles.

“It’s always disappointing regardless against who you lose,” Federer
said. “As long as you keep trying, test all the things out there, you
feel like you gave it all the chances, that’s really what matters to
me. Look, I wish I could have gone further in the tournament. You
know, it was okay. I got three matches and I’m pretty happy.”

Happy to get three matches in? If you say so, Rog.

Not to be entirely overlooked, Melzer has had some big wins so let’s
give him credit. Remember he beat Djokovic and David Ferrer at the
French Open last year, and he beat Djokovic and Nadal last fall. But
still, even though he says otherwise, Roger cannot be feeling to
confident about where his game is right now.

Again, against Top 10 players this season he’s managed just ONE set!

In tennis, often you are only as good as who you beat. And through
four months of the season Federer hasn’t beaten anyone! (w/apologies
to Marin Cilic, Stan Wawrinka - twice, and JW Tsonga.)

TennisGuy

Apr 15, 2011, 11:53:10 PM4/15/11
On Apr 15, 11:03 pm, GOYLE <jameshollowa...@aol.com> wrote:
> TENNIS-X
>
> Federer Still Winless v. Top 10 in 2011
>
> by Sean Randall    4/15/2011

> Federer has never lost to Melzer in his life in their previous three
> meetings,...

Slightly over-the-top sentence, wouldn't you say? :)
Expect nothing less from Mr. Randall.
Actually this is the spot where I refused to read any more of his
drivel.

TT

Apr 16, 2011, 3:07:57 AM4/16/11
16.4.2011 6:03, GOYLE kirjoitti:
> TENNIS-X
>
> Federer Still Winless v. Top 10 in 2011
>
> by Sean Randall 4/15/2011
>
> Remember a few years ago when Roger Federer essentially tore through
> an entire season without losing to a Top 10 play? I think he amassed
> some ridiculous number like 23-0 against his top foes during the
> streak. Well, times as we have seen, are a changing.
>
> On a blustery afternoon at the Monte Carlo Tennis Masters, Federer
> dropped to 0-5 this season vs. the creme de le creme of the men’s
> tennis world courtesy of a 6-4, 6-4 setback to World No. 9 Jurgen
> Melzer.

I guess Melzer is creme de le creme...

Or as Vari would point out...Federer has not won a match against top 13
this year. Talk about easy draws!

GOYLE

Apr 16, 2011, 8:50:06 AM4/16/11

I was merely pointing out the historical significance of his losing
record. Federer holds so many records that this one seems to stand out
among them.