OT: Question for computer person

Carey

Jun 18, 2017, 11:33:01 AM6/18/17
I am looking for a laptop that's at least as small as my old Powerbook G4 12", which is under 11" wide.
Needs to have a dvd player, and I want to use a non- Windows, non-Mac OS, probably a form of
Ubuntu. Looking for a sturdy, non-disposable unit, with a nice screen.
Suggestions welcome. Thx.

soccerfan777

Jun 18, 2017, 11:40:06 AM6/18/17
Go to Bestbuy. Only a hardwire IT guy can guide you right. And there are not many here. I am definitely not the right person.

Guypers

Jun 18, 2017, 11:50:01 AM6/18/17

Carey

Jun 18, 2017, 11:50:31 AM6/18/17
On Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 8:40:06 AM UTC-7, soccerfan777 wrote:
> Go to Bestbuy. Only a hardwire IT guy can guide you right. And there are not many here. I am definitely not the right person.

Raja, thanks for the advice, but going into a place like that is my idea of Hell on Earth.

Carey

Jun 18, 2017, 11:55:24 AM6/18/17
Guypers, thanks for that link. Too big for me. I bought a Macbook recently of the same size recently
and hate it. I'd continue to use the PB 12 if I could. (Non-smartphone owning Neo-luddite here)

PeteWasLucky

Jun 18, 2017, 12:28:38 PM6/18/17
You can get a Windows system then virtualize the O/S you want or even install it and make it dual boot.

Carey

Jun 18, 2017, 12:37:24 PM6/18/17
Unless there is a good reason for it, I'd much prefer to have no Micro$oft or Apple stuff on it, at all.

Guypers

Jun 18, 2017, 12:47:07 PM6/18/17
You can install ubuntu 17.04 alone removing all other OSs on any laptop! Have done that accidentally working with partitions!

Carey

Jun 18, 2017, 12:52:05 PM6/18/17
Thanks Guypers! I may do that on this (horrid, crapified) Macbook I recently got.

PeteWasLucky

Jun 18, 2017, 12:52:40 PM6/18/17
They make Ubuntu laptops

https://system76.com/laptops

Javier González

Jun 18, 2017, 12:58:12 PM6/18/17
So you want a 11" laptop running Linux or ChromeOs that has a dvd player? Interesting challenge, the dvd player has gone the way of the dodo. How hard is your DVD requirement? If it's for occasional use, you could get by with an external USB unit and get a nice Dell or Lenovo to install linux on.

Carey

Jun 18, 2017, 1:06:14 PM6/18/17
I'm trying to minimize gear, but have quite a few DVDs. I do have a USB DVD drive, but want all-in-one.
No ChromeOs because of Goog's eternal survellance (AFAIK). Sounds like it will be a Linux variant, but
I'm no computer guy.

PeteWasLucky

Jun 18, 2017, 1:10:09 PM6/18/17
Check these nice ones, all Ubuntu

https://system76.com/laptops

soccerfan777

Jun 18, 2017, 1:29:45 PM6/18/17
Carey if you hate Bestbuy try Micro Center or any of those shops which specialize in computers.

calim...@gmx.de

Jun 18, 2017, 2:02:32 PM6/18/17
Don't forget the tin-foil hat!

Max

calim...@gmx.de

Jun 18, 2017, 2:03:34 PM6/18/17
On Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 6:52:40 PM UTC+2, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> They make Ubuntu laptops
>
> https://system76.com/laptops

But what about the jews? Don't they hack all those African laptops?

Max

jdeluise

Jun 18, 2017, 2:12:14 PM6/18/17
On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 08:50:28 -0700, Carey wrote:

> Raja, thanks for the advice, but going into a place like that is my idea
> of Hell on Earth.

Not to mention the people that work there don't know a thing. I'm
embarrassed for Raja for suggesting it.

jdeluise

Jun 18, 2017, 2:31:27 PM6/18/17
I won't try to recommend something to you, because I purchase gear only
every few years these days and only after a lot of research and
consideration. I will say to check a couple of things out though because
particularly in the lower end market there is a strong push to lock
things down... definitely need to check to see if it's using UEFI that
you can disable secure boot so that you can install an alternative OS for
instance. I'd also consider the native screen resolution, particularly
if you're running legacy applications... there is a trend of putting
overly high resolution displays on small devices which works well in most
cases (and you can always lower the resolution of course, although doing
so isn't always straightforward in linux) but might be a deal breaker for
you.

Carey

Jun 18, 2017, 2:47:44 PM6/18/17
Jdeluise, I appreciate your circumspection, and this list of things I need to think
about (amongst others) before getting a new machine.
This is the stuff I want to know but don't.
Thanks.

jdeluise

Jun 18, 2017, 3:08:45 PM6/18/17
On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 11:47:42 -0700, Carey wrote:

> Jdeluise, I appreciate your circumspection, and this list of things I
> need to think about (amongst others) before getting a new machine.
> This is the stuff I want to know but don't.
> Thanks.

I would probably second the recommendations to buy something with linux
pre-installed if only to know for sure that it's supported. I've been
using it as a primary OS since the late 90s and although it's vastly
improved it can still be a huge time sink with random hardware,
particularly WiFi, storage and firmware.

grif

Jun 18, 2017, 3:13:04 PM6/18/17
You might find some of the advice here useful:
http://picknotebook.com/blog/linux-laptop/

grif

Jun 18, 2017, 3:18:46 PM6/18/17
This link is more Ubuntu specific:
http://picknotebook.com/blog/best-ubuntu-laptop/

The Iceberg

Jun 18, 2017, 3:34:04 PM6/18/17
Why don't you just burn your DVD's to hard disk? Or buy an external USB hard disk and put them on that. That's what computer guy here says.

Guypers

Jun 18, 2017, 3:42:48 PM6/18/17
I have installed Ubuntu in a Dell, HP, Toshiba, and had no problems with display, wifi, or updates! Even my wife used it for 3 years with no problems!

jdeluise

Jun 18, 2017, 4:08:07 PM6/18/17
On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 12:42:47 -0700, Guypers wrote:

> I have installed Ubuntu in a Dell, HP, Toshiba, and had no problems with
> display, wifi, or updates! Even my wife used it for 3 years with no
> problems!

I don't doubt it, but due diligence is still a good idea, especially
since Carey has some specific requirements. I guarantee you there can
hardware issues when using linux... for example the intel-based wifi on
the system I'm writing this on has been problematic with the latest linux
kernels and I've had to work around it for months (running older kernels
or manually deleting the latest firmware).

The Iceberg

Jun 18, 2017, 4:51:49 PM6/18/17
Flippin heck jd! that all sound like you could work for NASA or something, didn't know you were a computer expert, funny ppl you meet on RST

TennisGuy

Jun 18, 2017, 5:04:05 PM6/18/17
On 6/18/2017 11:40 AM, soccerfan777 wrote:
> Go to Bestbuy. Only a hardwire IT guy can guide you right.

Correction. A hardwire TT guy here can guide you.
He's an expert on everything! :)

Guypers

Jun 18, 2017, 5:39:24 PM6/18/17
Absolutely!

Carey

Jun 18, 2017, 5:50:44 PM6/18/17
...and that's just the kind of stuff that would make my head explode. :)
not a techie or a gear guy in general (except for a few hand tools).

undecided

Jun 18, 2017, 6:30:35 PM6/18/17
On Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 11:33:01 AM UTC-4, Carey wrote:
> I am looking for a laptop that's at least as small as my old Powerbook G4 12", which is under 11" wide.
> Needs to have a dvd player, and I want to use a non- Windows, non-Mac OS, probably a form of
> Ubuntu. Looking for a sturdy, non-disposable unit, with a nice screen.
> Suggestions welcome. Thx.

I personally like the Dell XPS line...None of them have DVD anymore but a USB Slim DVD external drive works fine. I am pretty sure you can install Ubuntu on them.

Dell even has a page for this:
http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN151664/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-your-dell-pc?lang=EN

This is the XPS I am thinking of. Tiny, well made.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10220848-dell-xps-12-9250-detachable-12-5-quot-4k-ips-touch-m5-6y54-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-thunderbolt-3-wifi-ac-win10h-650-with-f-s?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

bob

Jun 18, 2017, 8:32:21 PM6/18/17
On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 08:40:05 -0700 (PDT), soccerfan777
<zepf...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Go to Bestbuy. Only a hardwire IT guy can guide you right. And there are not many here. I am definitely not the right person.

i doubt best buy will sell a non windows, non mac machine. try the
good guys or newegg.

bob

bob

Jun 18, 2017, 8:35:27 PM6/18/17
On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 09:37:24 -0700 (PDT), Carey <carey...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
technical reason or making a political statement?
i don't buy anything apple btw.

think there are lots of google chormebooks out there, perhaps some
others laptops using chrome or linux.

bob

bob

Jun 18, 2017, 8:36:45 PM6/18/17
On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 10:06:13 -0700 (PDT), Carey <carey...@yahoo.com>
IMO you're down to chrome or linux. and plug in an external dvd
player, just very hard to find a small notebook with dvd nowadays.

bob

Manuel aka Xax

Jun 19, 2017, 7:04:20 PM6/19/17
Le dimanche 18 juin 2017 17:33:01 UTC+2, Carey a écrit :
> I am looking for a laptop that's at least as small as my old Powerbook G4 12", which is under 11" wide.
> Needs to have a dvd player, and I want to use a non- Windows, non-Mac OS, probably a form of
> Ubuntu. Looking for a sturdy, non-disposable unit, with a nice screen.
> Suggestions welcome. Thx.

Depending on on good and/or not scared you are, a chromebook could be a good choice.
As Ubuntu, it's based upon Debian.
Recent models have excellent screens, formidable battery life, good to great keyboards/trackpads.
And some are even designed to be sturdy, Dell / Lenovo have (had?) models that will fit.

Plus, some of them can be turn quite easily turned into full distro Linuxes laptop (as the own I own for over two year, the great little Acer C720. Which I now dub as "Librebook" :-)

Screens used to be poor on early chromebook (I've owned one of the very first Samsung Model, superb battery life, yet not sturdy nor good screen), this is no longer the case for most models.

You should google about, to check how hard/easy it is to install a linux distro (alongside or instead of the ChromeOS) on the models that caught your attention.

Cold start and "real speed" boot sequences from my own C720:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgpB2WX0kQk (Fedora)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOj6NBYnhH8 (Ubuntu)

Manuel aka Xax

Jun 19, 2017, 7:05:44 PM6/19/17
Le dimanche 18 juin 2017 18:28:38 UTC+2, PeteWasLucky a écrit :
> > I am looking for a laptop that's at least as small as my old Powerbook G4 12", which is under 11" wide.
> Needs to have a dvd player, and I want to use a non- Windows, non-Mac OS, probably a form of
> Ubuntu. Looking for a sturdy, non-disposable unit, with a nice screen.
> Suggestions welcome. Thx.
>
> You can get a Windows system then virtualize the O/S you want or even install it and make it dual boot.

Pointless waste of ressource !
Windows is the worst suited OS one can pick to build a virtualization machine.

Manuel aka Xax

Jun 19, 2017, 7:07:38 PM6/19/17
Le dimanche 18 juin 2017 18:47:07 UTC+2, Guypers a écrit :
> > > Needs to have a dvd player, and I want to use a non- Windows, non-Mac OS, probably a form of
> > > Ubuntu. Looking for a sturdy, non-disposable unit, with a nice screen.
> > > Suggestions welcome. Thx.
> > >
> > > You can get a Windows system then virtualize the O/S you want or even install it and make it dual boot.
> >

> > Unless there is a good reason for it, I'd much prefer to have no Micro$oft or Apple stuff on it, at all.
>
> You can install ubuntu 17.04 alone removing all other OSs on any laptop! Have done that accidentally working with partitions!

Here, in France, you can ask for refund over the price of the windows version you've wiped from the machine you bought, since it was not possible to buy that machine without the M$ crap OS installed on it.

Guypers

Jun 19, 2017, 7:44:16 PM6/19/17
Acer c720

2GB) Discontinued by Manufacturer
16 GB Solid-State Drive (SSD); No CD or DVD drive
11.6-Inch Anti-Glare Screen, Intel HD Graphics
HDMI port, 8.5-hour battery life

PeteWasLucky

Jun 19, 2017, 9:29:27 PM6/19/17
> Acer c720

Shitty processor

bmo...@nyx.net

Jun 19, 2017, 10:31:33 PM6/19/17
For sure, just get an external DVD drive. Easy USB plug-in.

jdeluise

Jun 20, 2017, 1:05:49 AM6/20/17
On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 16:05:43 -0700, Manuel aka Xax wrote:

> Pointless waste of ressource !
> Windows is the worst suited OS one can pick to build a virtualization
> machine.

That depends on what you are trying to virtualize.

The Iceberg

Jun 20, 2017, 3:07:07 AM6/20/17
that's what I said, before you, thanks for copying what the guy at work told me to say.

bmo...@nyx.net

Jun 20, 2017, 1:14:11 PM6/20/17
A burger flipper told you to say that?

Carey

Jun 20, 2017, 1:27:00 PM6/20/17
Thanks to all who've replied. Lots of info that will be helpful.

bmo...@nyx.net

Jun 20, 2017, 3:21:43 PM6/20/17
On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 12:07:07 AM UTC-7, The Iceberg wrote:
And BTW, that's not what you said. You suggested getting an external hard drive, which is not the same thing and in fact does not help at all in this situation. I am *shocked* that you are wrong again.

Manuel aka Xax

Jun 20, 2017, 4:16:39 PM6/20/17
Yep, I wasn't suggesting this particular model, mostly saying that it's a really great little thing...
As most of the chromebook I've seen / used / owned.

It will be hard (if possible at all, nowadays) to find a laptop with optical drive under 15 inches.

Manuel aka Xax

Jun 20, 2017, 4:20:29 PM6/20/17
Le mardi 20 juin 2017 03:29:27 UTC+2, PeteWasLucky a écrit :
> > Acer c720
>
> Shitty processor

Not *that* bad, outdated now for sure, yet it runs Ubuntu / Fedora like a charm.
Laptop CPU are either energy OR raw computing power biased.

Never came across one that had both (MacBook Pro are best in class, yet they're not lasting when under heavy CPU usage, aka video editing).
You have to pick what's wise for the usage you're planning.

Manuel aka Xax

Jun 20, 2017, 4:21:56 PM6/20/17
?
I don't even think that virtualizing older version of windows might have better results on a windows host.

jdeluise

Jun 20, 2017, 7:55:26 PM6/20/17
On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 13:21:53 -0700, Manuel aka Xax wrote:

> ?
> I don't even think that virtualizing older version of windows might have
> better results on a windows host.

I've had lots of stability issues with VirtualBox when virtualizing
discrete video hardware (ie. 3D acceleration) under Linux. Sure, VMWare
Workstation is an option, if you want to have endless headaches every
time you upgrade your kernel or force yourself to use RHEL.

Carey

Jun 20, 2017, 8:30:19 PM6/20/17
Any ideas here for a free, easy to install usenet reader for Mac OS 10.9?

Federer Fanatic

Jun 22, 2017, 5:23:25 PM6/22/17
On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 17:30:17 -0700 (PDT), Carey <carey...@yahoo.com> wrote:
| Any ideas here for a free, easy to install usenet reader for Mac OS 10.9?

slrn, you'll need to get use to a few keys that will help. Type ? and it will
show with a menu.

FF

--
The measure of a man is what he does with power.
- Plato