Our relationship with Germany is 'very bad for U.S.'

Pelle Svanslös

May 30, 2017, 8:21:20 AM5/30/17
Fresh off his first international trip as president, one in which he
spent time at two meetings with German Chancellor Angela Merkel,
President Donald Trump wrote on Twitter Tuesday that the U.S.
relationship with Germany is “very bad for U.S.” and “will change.”

Both Trump and Merkel took part in meetings of NATO and G7 leaders held
last week in Brussels and Sicily, respectively. While in Brussels, Trump
reportedly told European Union leaders that “the Germans are bad, very
bad,” a comment that forced Gary Cohn, the director of the national
economic council to explain that the president was unhappy only with the
U.S-Germany trade relationship, not the longtime American ally itself.

Tuesday morning, Trump once again went after Germany in a post to
Twitter that appeared online before 7 a.m.

“We have a MASSIVE trade deficit with Germany, plus they pay FAR LESS
than they should on NATO & military. Very bad for U.S. This will
change,” he wrote, echoing a point he made in an address at NATO’s
headquarters where he called on members of the trans-Atlantic treaty to
spend more on defense.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/30/trump-germany-relationship-tweet-238930

Looks like The Tourist had a bad holiday in Europe. He did seem kind of
grumpy.

Brian W Lawrence

May 31, 2017, 6:30:10 AM5/31/17
I read somewhere, probably from a WH leak, that when Angela Merkel
visited the WH, the President asked her 10 times about the trade
deficit, and each time she replied that Germany doesn't negotiate trade
deals with anyone, you have to deal with the EU instead. It was claimed
that after 10 times getting the same answer he finally understood! Now
he seems to have forgotten again.

---
http://www.avg.com

*skriptis

May 31, 2017, 7:30:02 AM5/31/17
Brian W Lawrence <brian_w_...@msn.com> Wrote in message:
> On 30/05/2017 13:21, Pelle Svanslös wrote:
>
>> Fresh off his first international trip as president, one in which he
>> spent time at two meetings with German Chancellor Angela Merkel,
>> President Donald Trump wrote on Twitter Tuesday that the U.S.
>> relationship with Germany is ?very bad for U.S.? and ?will change.?
>>
>> Both Trump and Merkel took part in meetings of NATO and G7 leaders held
>> last week in Brussels and Sicily, respectively. While in Brussels, Trump
>> reportedly told European Union leaders that ?the Germans are bad, very
>> bad,? a comment that forced Gary Cohn, the director of the national
>> economic council to explain that the president was unhappy only with the
>> U.S-Germany trade relationship, not the longtime American ally itself.
>>
>> Tuesday morning, Trump once again went after Germany in a post to
>> Twitter that appeared online before 7 a.m.
>>
>> ?We have a MASSIVE trade deficit with Germany, plus they pay FAR LESS
>> than they should on NATO & military. Very bad for U.S. This will
>> change,? he wrote, echoing a point he made in an address at NATO?s
>> headquarters where he called on members of the trans-Atlantic treaty to
>> spend more on defense.
>>
>> http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/30/trump-germany-relationship-tweet-238930
>>

>> Looks like The Tourist had a bad holiday in Europe. He did seem kind of
>> grumpy.
>
> I read somewhere, probably from a WH leak, that when Angela Merkel
> visited the WH, the President asked her 10 times about the trade
> deficit, and each time she replied that Germany doesn't negotiate trade
> deals with anyone, you have to deal with the EU instead. It was claimed
> that after 10 times getting the same answer he finally understood! Now
> he seems to have forgotten again.

Do you think billionaire Trump is dumb, that he doesn't recognize
what's going on?
EU negotiates trade deals, with EU as a whole having e.g. balanced
exchange, but with Germany having huge surplus and other EU
countries getting big dick?
Otoh on other occasions, when they find it convenient, they'll act
as Germany, not EU.

Trump sees through that bullshit.

I don't blame the Germans, they want to dominate and rip everyone
off. That's what you do in economy, sports etc. Federer wants to
win 19th slam even though he has won lot of those already. That's
ok.

However, it's kinda annoying when they start saying how e.g. Nadal
or Djokovic or any other player is a bad person because he wants
to win it too, or like those situation where fedfans feel
offended with the other guy putting up a resistance.

That's freakish.

Pelle Svanslös

May 31, 2017, 7:41:10 AM5/31/17
On 31.5.2017 13:30, Brian W Lawrence wrote:
> On 30/05/2017 13:21, Pelle Svanslös wrote:
>
>> Fresh off his first international trip as president, one in which he
>> spent time at two meetings with German Chancellor Angela Merkel,
>> President Donald Trump wrote on Twitter Tuesday that the U.S.
>> relationship with Germany is “very bad for U.S.” and “will change.”
>>
>> Both Trump and Merkel took part in meetings of NATO and G7 leaders
>> held last week in Brussels and Sicily, respectively. While in
>> Brussels, Trump reportedly told European Union leaders that “the
>> Germans are bad, very bad,” a comment that forced Gary Cohn, the
>> director of the national economic council to explain that the
>> president was unhappy only with the U.S-Germany trade relationship,
>> not the longtime American ally itself.
>>
>> Tuesday morning, Trump once again went after Germany in a post to
>> Twitter that appeared online before 7 a.m.
>>
>> “We have a MASSIVE trade deficit with Germany, plus they pay FAR LESS
>> than they should on NATO & military. Very bad for U.S. This will
>> change,” he wrote, echoing a point he made in an address at NATO’s
>> headquarters where he called on members of the trans-Atlantic treaty
>> to spend more on defense.
>>
>> http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/30/trump-germany-relationship-tweet-238930
>>

>> Looks like The Tourist had a bad holiday in Europe. He did seem kind
>> of grumpy.
>
> I read somewhere, probably from a WH leak,

Or maybe RST? :)

> that when Angela Merkel
> visited the WH, the President asked her 10 times about the trade
> deficit, and each time she replied that Germany doesn't negotiate trade
> deals with anyone, you have to deal with the EU instead. It was claimed
> that after 10 times getting the same answer he finally understood! Now
> he seems to have forgotten again.

Trump seems not to be the only one:

"The EU leaders were also appalled at the Americans’ poor knowledge of
EU-US trade policy, both papers say. Chief economic adviser Gary Cohn,
the former president of Goldman Sachs, seemed to think that there were
different customs tariffs between the US and Germany than between the US
and Belgium, according to Der Spiegel".

https://qz.com/992271/trump-reportedly-called-germany-bad-very-bad-and-threatened-to-stop-americans-from-buying-bmws/

Brian W Lawrence

May 31, 2017, 7:49:02 AM5/31/17
Well all the evidence points to that.

> EU negotiates trade deals, with EU as a whole having e.g. balanced
> exchange, but with Germany having huge surplus and other EU
> countries getting big dick?

Yes, but there is no US-EU trade deal, neither is there a US-Germany
deal. German companies can export goods & services to the US and vice
versa - the only deals are inter-company deals, without controls
imposed by the US, the EU or Germany.

> Otoh on other occasions, when they find it convenient, they'll act
> as Germany, not EU.
>
> Trump sees through that bullshit.

He probably thinks he does, but ...

> I don't blame the Germans, they want to dominate and rip everyone
> off. That's what you do in economy, sports etc. Federer wants to
> win 19th slam even though he has won lot of those already. That's
> ok.
>
> However, it's kinda annoying when they start saying how e.g. Nadal
> or Djokovic or any other player is a bad person because he wants
> to win it too, or like those situation where fedfans feel
> offended with the other guy putting up a resistance.
>
> That's freakish.

Brian W Lawrence

May 31, 2017, 7:54:41 AM5/31/17
The BMW aspect of his complaints is interesting. Apparently BMW's
largest production plant in the world is in Spartanburg, South
Carolina, so most of the BMWs sold in the US are actually made
in the US, using US materials and US workers. Go figure.