Rafa has been "all business" since he arrived in Canada.

PeteWasLucky

Aug 11, 2017, 5:34:23 AM8/11/17
Rafa taking aim at Federer :)

Yes, he tanked to win the USO :)

Anyway, still believe this tournament is useless for Federer.

The Iceberg

Aug 11, 2017, 8:56:42 AM8/11/17
No you don't, you reckon he's going to win it.

Carey

Aug 11, 2017, 9:12:11 AM8/11/17
On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 2:34:23 AM UTC-7, PeteWasLucky wrote:

> Rafa taking aim at Federer :)

:)

SliceAndDice

Aug 11, 2017, 9:40:23 AM8/11/17
I don't think Roger is taking it too seriously either. Went to Coldplay concert two nights in a row. Yesterday against Ferrer, looked (and played) like he had just woken up.

Carey

Aug 11, 2017, 9:43:37 AM8/11/17
Agree. I think a pre-Major loss here is in order, a la Mac USO '84, and Nadal before this year's French.

RaspingDrive

Aug 11, 2017, 9:47:38 AM8/11/17
On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 5:34:23 AM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:
These narrow losses are good signs for Nadal, in fact. He will be ready, come USO.

RaspingDrive

Aug 11, 2017, 9:48:13 AM8/11/17
On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 8:56:42 AM UTC-4, The Iceberg wrote:
> No you don't, you reckon he's going to win it.

A significant hurdle is cleared for Federer.

Carey

Aug 11, 2017, 9:51:24 AM8/11/17
Absolutely. Same as Wimby.

SliceAndDice

Aug 11, 2017, 9:52:56 AM8/11/17
He called it his worst loss of the year yesterday, Doubt if he is drawing any positives from this one.

RaspingDrive

Aug 11, 2017, 9:56:05 AM8/11/17
There weren't narrow losses on grass before Wimby, were they?

PeteWasLucky

Aug 11, 2017, 9:56:53 AM8/11/17
> These narrow losses are good signs for Nadal, in fact. He will be ready, come USO.

Yes, these narrow losses against high ranked players in the finals are really good sign :)

RaspingDrive

Aug 11, 2017, 9:58:15 AM8/11/17
One doesn't dispense a 15-slam champ's chances away after a narrow loss against someone who had nothing to lose.

PeteWasLucky

Aug 11, 2017, 9:58:29 AM8/11/17
> These narrow losses are good signs for Nadal, in fact. He will be ready, come USO.

RaspingDrive

Aug 11, 2017, 10:01:30 AM8/11/17
On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 9:56:53 AM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> > These narrow losses are good signs for Nadal, in fact. He will be ready, come USO.
>
> Yes, these narrow losses against high ranked players in the finals are really good sign :)

??

SliceAndDice

Aug 11, 2017, 10:05:22 AM8/11/17
I am of course not discounting his chances. Just disputing your contention that this loss was somehow a good sign for him. Nadal is a confidence player. The more he bulldozes the opposition, the better his chances are.

PeteWasLucky

Aug 11, 2017, 10:05:26 AM8/11/17
> ??

lol, you are the one saying it's good sign, I don't know how you see such losses in Wimbledon, Canada as good sign.

RaspingDrive

Aug 11, 2017, 10:08:03 AM8/11/17
Loss happening at a tuneup is better than at a slam, right? He gets to analyze what caused this loss, which is good for him.

RaspingDrive

Aug 11, 2017, 10:09:59 AM8/11/17
On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 10:05:26 AM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> > ??
>
> lol, you are the one saying it's good sign, I don't know how you see such losses in Wimbledon, Canada as good sign.

What I meant is that he will try to improve.

PeteWasLucky

Aug 11, 2017, 10:11:33 AM8/11/17
> What I meant is that he will try to improve.

Absolutely, they all try to improve.

RaspingDrive

Aug 11, 2017, 10:27:09 AM8/11/17
On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 10:11:33 AM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> > What I meant is that he will try to improve.
>
> Absolutely, they all try to improve.

winning begets confidence, losing disposes off complacency. both are good in their own way.

Carey

Aug 11, 2017, 10:30:51 AM8/11/17
I don't think complacency was or is Nadal's issue.

RaspingDrive

Aug 11, 2017, 10:36:37 AM8/11/17
the chastened champ will try to do better, approach with greater circumspection. He has 15 slams, mind you. It is a tune up after all.

SliceAndDice

Aug 11, 2017, 10:42:00 AM8/11/17
+1. The guy has won 10 French Opens, barely lost there. Never once seen him being complacent.

Carey

Aug 11, 2017, 10:42:47 AM8/11/17
I think he could do with less circumspection, actually. ymmv

RaspingDrive

Aug 11, 2017, 10:45:26 AM8/11/17
Fair enough. What does ymmv mean?

PeteWasLucky

Aug 11, 2017, 10:47:09 AM8/11/17
> +1. The guy has won 10 French Opens, barely lost there. Never once seen him being complacent.

It's time to cave until FO 2018.

RaspingDrive

Aug 11, 2017, 10:47:38 AM8/11/17
not strictly complacent. indifference in terms of neglecting to iron out minor deficiencies ahead of a slam. now he will have to address such issues.

Carey

Aug 11, 2017, 10:48:49 AM8/11/17
Opinions (your mileage) may vary.

RaspingDrive

Aug 11, 2017, 10:49:49 AM8/11/17
On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 10:47:09 AM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> > +1. The guy has won 10 French Opens, barely lost there. Never once seen him being complacent.
>
> It's time to cave until FO 2018.

Didn't happen in 2010 and 2013, so watch out.

Court_1

Aug 11, 2017, 11:16:29 AM8/11/17
On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 10:08:03 AM UTC-4, RaspingDrive wrote:

> Loss happening at a tuneup is better than at a slam, right? He gets to analyze what caused this loss, which is good for him.

Ok, but the reality is that off clay he's vulnerable to a host of other players, players Federer simply isn't as vulnerable to. What caused his loss yesterday was a fairly weak ROS and not converting enough break points. He had many chances.

Patrick Kehoe

Aug 11, 2017, 11:29:16 AM8/11/17
...and... Jimmy Arias got it right, I believe, when he said Rafa trying to hit those uber spinning forehands that bounce up high were just crushed by Shap... the kid just pounded the high ball on the forehand and he counter hit those bouncing spinners of Rafa well enough on the backhand to keep Rafa from gaining immediate advantages... that dynamic was pivotal... didn't you think? And he's showing signs of being VERY nervous now - at vital moments - in ways he never did before, mainly while serving, but as you righty note, on RofS as well...

NOTE: Earlier in the day Federer [looking almost like a homeless dude with the facial scruff and scowl] was searching all over Jarry Park for his game, at times, as well... He appeared almost disinterested at times or, perhaps, sort of sleepwalking... then he got engaged and then he got TESTY and looked irritated when he was missing by 5'... :)

Both Rafa and Roger, in different ways, have looked disjointed and irritable throughout the Rogers Cup...

Whisper

Aug 11, 2017, 11:34:06 AM8/11/17
'You Make Me Vomit'

---
http://www.avg.com

stephenJ

Aug 11, 2017, 11:46:11 AM8/11/17
Yes, some seem to forget Fed lost at a grass W tuneup this year, then
swept through W without losing a set.

These events are called tuneups for a reason - better to lose while
working out kinks in your game than to win while glossing over problems
that will be exposed at USO.

---

PeteWasLucky

Aug 11, 2017, 12:19:55 PM8/11/17
> those uber spinning forehands that bounce up high

What's new?

PeteWasLucky

Aug 11, 2017, 12:20:47 PM8/11/17
> Yes, some seem to forget Fed lost at a grass W tuneup this year, then
swept through W without losing a set.

These events are called tuneups for a reason - better to lose while
working out kinks in your game than to win while glossing over problems
that will be exposed at USO.

lol

Court_1

Aug 11, 2017, 12:26:47 PM8/11/17
On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 11:29:16 AM UTC-4, Patrick Kehoe wrote:
> On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 8:16:29 AM UTC-7, Court_1 wrote:

> ...and... Jimmy Arias got it right, I believe, when he said Rafa trying to hit those uber spinning forehands that bounce up high were just crushed by Shap... the kid just pounded the high ball on the forehand and he counter hit those bouncing spinners of Rafa well enough on the backhand to keep Rafa from gaining immediate advantages... that dynamic was pivotal... didn't you think?

Yes.

>And he's showing signs of being VERY nervous now - at vital moments - in ways he never did before, mainly while serving, but as you righty note, on RofS as well...

Yes.

> NOTE: Earlier in the day Federer [looking almost like a homeless dude with the facial scruff and scowl] was searching all over Jarry Park for his game, at times, as well... He appeared almost disinterested at times or, perhaps, sort of sleepwalking... then he got engaged and then he got TESTY and looked irritated when he was missing by 5'... :)

I only saw highlights of the Fderer-Ferrer match and Federer did look out of sorts but I think he could play on one leg and still beat Ferrer.

Now I'm interested to see how far Shap can keep it going and if he'll have a letdown in his next match vs Mannarino. He said he was cramping at the end of his match vs Nadal and felt very tired. Go Shap!

RaspingDrive

Aug 11, 2017, 8:25:07 PM8/11/17
On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 10:48:49 AM UTC-4, Carey wrote:

> > Fair enough. What does ymmv mean?
>

> Opinions (your mileage) may vary.

Thanks.

RaspingDrive

Aug 11, 2017, 8:27:15 PM8/11/17
Clueless Whisper, shut the f up.

RaspingDrive

Aug 11, 2017, 8:29:14 PM8/11/17
Agreed. If he does one escapade he will probably go to the final.

Carey

Aug 11, 2017, 8:31:12 PM8/11/17
You're welcome. Shapovalov and Mannarino have split sets and are at 1-1 in the decider.

RaspingDrive

Aug 11, 2017, 8:32:07 PM8/11/17
Exactly. Hone your game to be battle ready for the real deal, USO.

RaspingDrive

Aug 11, 2017, 8:35:04 PM8/11/17
You disagree that these tune-ups help prepare for the main thing?

RaspingDrive

Aug 11, 2017, 8:38:40 PM8/11/17
Watching it on ESPN2 now. Don't know how long I will be allowed, having used up my TV time over the Fed vs April 14th born Spaniard match this afternoon (the names elude me at critical times) :)

RaspingDrive

Aug 11, 2017, 8:42:01 PM8/11/17
Got the name, Agut, it is. For some reason I was getting it as Mahut but he is not April 14th born :) Back on serve Mannarino.

Carey

Aug 11, 2017, 8:49:02 PM8/11/17
Can't watch it on effin' Sling right now. Go Shap!

Carey

Aug 11, 2017, 9:09:32 PM8/11/17
Looks like Shap is serving for it. Any thoughts out there?

SliceAndDice

Aug 11, 2017, 9:18:10 PM8/11/17
Hoping he makes the final. Shap is exactly what tennis needs. He is also a junior Wimbledon champion, so hoping this is not a flash in the pan.

Whisper

Aug 12, 2017, 11:06:08 AM8/12/17
Beat it clown.

RaspingDrive