sampras opponents

bob

Oct 25, 2010, 6:45:51 PM10/25/10
http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/busted_racquet/post/Federer-ties-Sampras-with-64-titles-Who-had-the;_ylt=AsYotdIC86s1NFvJ_6yvbOg4v7YF?urn=ten-279691

"But there are other things that go Pete's way. In his prime, Sampras
had to play a much deeper top 10. In his first 30 victories, Sampras
beat the likes of Jim Courier, Boris Becker, Ivan Lendl and Andre
Agassi in finals. Federer's toughest were Agassi, Andy Roddick,
Lleyton Hewitt and Marat Safin. Nadal was the toughest challenge of
all, but don't forget that he didn't come into his own off the clay
courts until 2008.
Let's say it'd be 1994 Pete Sampras vs. 2005 Roger Federer on Centre
Court at Wimbledon?
I'd give the slightest of edges to Sampras. Andre Agassi once said the
difference between Federer and Sampras is that Federer could dominate
the best players for an entire match, while Pete would sit back and
trade the first few service games of a set before unloading on a huge
return point to swing things in his favor. He meant that as a
compliment to both, but more so to Sampras. He knew when to turn it on
and was the best big-point player I've ever seen. In this theoretical
meeting, that would be the difference. Sampras would win his serve
more easily and would be able to score one or two key breaks of
Federer during the match."

Inglourious Basterd

Oct 25, 2010, 6:49:13 PM10/25/10
On Oct 25, 11:45 pm, bob <stein...@comcast.net> wrote:
> http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/busted_racquet/post/Federer-ties-...

> "But there are other things that go Pete's way. In his prime, Sampras
> had to play a much deeper top 10. In his first 30 victories, Sampras
> beat the likes of Jim Courier, Boris Becker, Ivan Lendl and Andre
> Agassi in finals. Federer's toughest were Agassi, Andy Roddick,
> Lleyton Hewitt and Marat Safin. Nadal was the toughest challenge of
> all, but don't forget that he didn't come into his own off the clay
> courts until 2008.
> Let's say it'd be 1994 Pete Sampras vs. 2005 Roger Federer on Centre
> Court at Wimbledon?
> I'd give the slightest of edges to Sampras. Andre Agassi once said the
> difference between Federer and Sampras is that Federer could dominate
> the best players for an entire match, while Pete would sit back and
> trade the first few service games of a set before unloading on a huge
> return point to swing things in his favor. He meant that as a
> compliment to both, but more so to Sampras. He knew when to turn it on
> and was the best big-point player I've ever seen. In this theoretical
> meeting, that would be the difference. Sampras would win his serve
> more easily and would be able to score one or two key breaks of
> Federer during the match."

I didn't think Whisper would reveal his true identity by writing a
sports article for Yahoo.

But there you have it....Chris Chase.

Sakari Lund

Oct 25, 2010, 7:05:16 PM10/25/10
On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 18:45:51 -0400, bob <stei...@comcast.net> wrote:

>http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/busted_racquet/post/Federer-ties-Sampras-with-64-titles-Who-had-the;_ylt=AsYotdIC86s1NFvJ_6yvbOg4v7YF?urn=ten-279691
>
>"But there are other things that go Pete's way. In his prime, Sampras
>had to play a much deeper top 10. In his first 30 victories, Sampras
>beat the likes of Jim Courier, Boris Becker, Ivan Lendl and Andre
>Agassi in finals.

Lendl is 11 years older. We might as well count Sampras as a Federer
opponent. He is only 10 years older, and they did play. Damn tough,
playing against both Sampras and Nadal...

>Federer's toughest were Agassi, Andy Roddick,
>Lleyton Hewitt and Marat Safin. Nadal was the toughest challenge of
>all, but don't forget that he didn't come into his own off the clay
>courts until 2008.
>Let's say it'd be 1994 Pete Sampras vs. 2005 Roger Federer on Centre
>Court at Wimbledon?

Interesting that he picked 2005 Federer, right bob? Not 2008 or 2009.

And he forgot to add the important thing. Would it be on 1994 or 2005
Wimbledon grass?

bob

Oct 25, 2010, 7:08:52 PM10/25/10

lmao. good.

bob

bob

Oct 25, 2010, 9:07:53 PM10/25/10

maybe 2005 federer was the absolute best federer. but 2008, 2009 might
lose 1%, where summer 2010 federer loses 10%. nothing inconsistent
there.

>And he forgot to add the important thing. Would it be on 1994 or 2005
>Wimbledon grass?

either way. there's more to grass play than just speed.

bob

felangey

Oct 25, 2010, 9:17:43 PM10/25/10
>either way. there's more to grass play than just speed<

Yeah...and Fed was just that bit better when it came to it vs Sampras. It
was close though.

Patrick Kehoe

Oct 26, 2010, 2:26:47 AM10/26/10

Fed was nextgen and even as a teen edged the defending champion...

Whisper

Oct 26, 2010, 3:38:37 AM10/26/10

Nextgen = clown era.

john

Oct 26, 2010, 5:05:36 AM10/26/10

"Whisper" <beav...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

That was prooven when Hewitt straight setted Sampras at USO final.

Iceberg

Oct 26, 2010, 5:29:40 AM10/26/10

lol :) I have to say though, this Chris Chase is a very good
journalist.

Iceberg

Oct 26, 2010, 5:30:51 AM10/26/10
On Oct 26, 10:05 am, "john" <jli...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> "Whisper" <beaver...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

that was on grass. Henman whooped teen Fed on grass, Henman was
therefore surely the best.

john

Oct 26, 2010, 5:45:47 AM10/26/10

"Iceberg" <iceber...@gmail.com> wrote in message

How many slam did Fed win at that time. He was a teen wasn't he ?

drew

Oct 26, 2010, 3:50:54 PM10/26/10
> "But there are other things that go Pete's way. In his prime, Sampras
> had to play a much deeper top 10. In his first 30 victories, Sampras
> beat the likes of Jim Courier, Boris Becker, Ivan Lendl and Andre
> Agassi in finals.

Lendl and Becker were the older generation.

Courier was a good player but not a great player.

Truth be told, Agassi made Sampras look better than he was by losing
to Sampras in
so many USO finals...and a quarter...and a Wimbledon final. It's
always a big advantage
when the guy you will probably meet in the final has a matchup problem
with you.

In this way Roddick made Federer too. Nobody gets big numbers without
owning somebody at the top.

CloudsRest

Oct 26, 2010, 4:08:34 PM10/26/10
On Oct 25, 6:07 pm, bob <stein...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 02:05:16 +0300, Sakari Lund
>

> <sakari.l...@welho.com> wrote:
> >On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 18:45:51 -0400, bob <stein...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >>http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/busted_racquet/post/Federer-ties-...

> >>"But there are other things that go Pete's way. In his prime, Sampras
> >>had to play a much deeper top 10. In his first 30 victories, Sampras
> >>beat the likes of Jim Courier, Boris Becker, Ivan Lendl and Andre
> >>Agassi in finals.
>
> >Lendl is 11 years older. We might as well count Sampras as a Federer
> >opponent. He is only 10 years older, and they did play. Damn tough,
> >playing against both Sampras and Nadal...
>
> >>Federer's toughest were Agassi, Andy Roddick,
> >>Lleyton Hewitt and Marat Safin. Nadal was the toughest challenge of
> >>all, but don't forget that he didn't come into his own off the clay
> >>courts until 2008.
> >>Let's say it'd be 1994 Pete Sampras vs. 2005 Roger Federer on Centre
> >>Court at Wimbledon?
>
> >Interesting that he picked 2005 Federer, right bob? Not 2008 or 2009.
>
> maybe 2005 federer was the absolute best federer. but 2008, 2009 might
> lose 1%, where summer 2010 federer loses 10%. nothing inconsistent
> there.

In 2008, Federer's abilities and career began its gradual decline. To
date, at most he's lost 5%, which doesn't sound like much but in
reality it is. For example, it's the difference between a .320 hitter
and a .270 hitter in baseball. Fed isn't equivalent of a .320 guy
becoming a .270 guy, but he's clearly lost something. It's definitely
not 10%, that's way too drastic. If a pitcher loses 10% of his 95 mph
fastball, he's finished.

> >And he forgot to add the important thing. Would it be on 1994 or 2005
> >Wimbledon grass?
>
> either way. there's more to grass play than just speed.
>
> bob

Surface speed, equipment, more attention paid to defense, improved
returning, nutrition, training: all are factors.

bob

Oct 26, 2010, 6:31:29 PM10/26/10

he definitely made all the relevant points.

bob

Ali Asoag

Oct 26, 2010, 10:34:23 PM10/26/10

Do you really expect something reasonable from Iceberg?

--
Say, how dumb are you, Whisper? Probably you are so dumb that you
can't realize that you are dumb.

Whisper

Oct 27, 2010, 6:25:54 AM10/27/10

This is another way of saying Sampras was better than Agassi & Fed
better than Roddick.

Thanks Captain Obvious.

drew

Oct 27, 2010, 12:25:18 PM10/27/10
> Thanks Captain Obvious.-

You're missing something here. Match up issues are important. If you
are
Federer you want guys like Roddick to be giving everybody else trouble
for
many years. The worst thing for a top player is lose his bitch.

An ideal bitch only rolls over for you and bites everybody else.

Inglourious Basterd

Oct 27, 2010, 8:13:13 PM10/27/10
On Oct 27, 5:25 pm, drew <d...@technologist.com> wrote:

> An ideal bitch only rolls over for you and bites everybody else.

This is why Nadal was so glad to face Fed so often in finals.

Patrick Kehoe

Oct 27, 2010, 8:24:57 PM10/27/10
On Oct 27, 5:13 pm, Inglourious Basterd

Since 2008, that's about it... Fed is on a 3 match losing streak in
majors against Rafa... 2008 FO, 2008 W, 2009 AO... is that an lock for
Rafa now, a fixed pattern of dominating or something Fed can flip or
fate will flip next time out? We will all be interested to see how it
goes in 2011... each year now the court tilts Rafa's way given their
age difference... Fed's playing up hill in this match up now... still,
it's thee challenge out there for him...

Shakes

Oct 27, 2010, 8:30:29 PM10/27/10
On Oct 27, 5:13 pm, Inglourious Basterd
<thetruetennisg...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

Sad, but true.

Ali Asoag

Oct 27, 2010, 10:29:04 PM10/27/10

After Fed started to decline ...

Before, he consistently avoided all the finals with Fed (except clay).
Once he dared, he got knocked down (see Wimby 2006, 2007).