What Wawrinka's first Slam teaches us.....

Garvin Yee

Jan 26, 2014, 2:40:25 PM1/26/14

1. There is a first time for everything, and anything is possible.

2. Don't listen when people tell you your odds of winning.

3. "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again.
Fail better," is a quote worthy to tattoo on your forearm!

4. Never, EVER...give up.

--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34735015@N03/sets/72157623566520134/show/
http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/garvin-yee.html

grif

Jan 26, 2014, 2:49:18 PM1/26/14
On 26/01/2014 19:40, Garvin Yee wrote:

> 1. There is a first time for everything, and anything is possible.
>
> 2. Don't listen when people tell you your odds of winning.
>
> 3. "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again.
> Fail better," is a quote worthy to tattoo on your forearm!
>
> 4. Never, EVER...give up.

5. Switzerland should be able to win the Davis Cup.

SliceAndDice

Jan 26, 2014, 3:14:07 PM1/26/14
Now that Fed's individual career is on the down-slide, maybe he should concentrate on winning Davis Cup? :)

Patrick Kehoe

Jan 26, 2014, 3:16:29 PM1/26/14
:))))))))

Whisper

Jan 27, 2014, 6:31:22 AM1/27/14
Are you saying Federer is selfish & puts his personal goals ahead of
Switzerland? Hello - we already knew that.

trr

Jan 27, 2014, 7:45:33 AM1/27/14
On Sunday, January 26, 2014 12:40:25 PM UTC-7, Garvin Yee wrote:
> 1. There is a first time for everything, and anything is possible.
>

> 2. Don't listen when people tell you your odds of winning.
>

> 3. "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again.
>
> Fail better," is a quote worthy to tattoo on your forearm!
>

> 4. Never, EVER...give up.

One should never ever give up whether or not
one wins. We give up in life, we die.

SliceAndDice

Jan 27, 2014, 8:25:40 AM1/27/14
Only that Davis Cup is an inconsequential tournament these days.

Patrick Kehoe

Jan 27, 2014, 12:57:28 PM1/27/14
Interestingly, Federer's actually played a lot more Davis Cup matches compared to Rafa, Nole and Murray, to take JUST 3 examples... and that's considering he's not played all that much in the last 6 or 7 years... so when he was young and into his early prime he played a TON of Davis Cup matches...

RAFA
Total nominations 16
Ties played 15
Singles (W/L) 21/1
Doubles (W/L) 3/4
Total (W/L) 24/5

NOVAK
Total nominations 21
Ties played 21
Singles (W/L) 26/7
Doubles (W/L) 2/2
Total (W/L) 28/9

MURRAY
Total nominations 14
Ties played 12
Singles (W/L) 16/1
Doubles (W/L) 3/5
Total (W/L) 19/6

FEDERER
Total nominations 22
Ties played 22
Singles (W/L) 32/7
Doubles (W/L) 11/8
Total (W/L) 43/15

TT

Jan 27, 2014, 1:16:00 PM1/27/14
Your qualification matches counting is like comparing ATP 250 and M1000.

--
"This is not about Federer, this is about how good Nadal is."
- Darren Cahill

Patrick Kehoe

Jan 27, 2014, 6:05:33 PM1/27/14
The usual RST torrent against Federer is about he's never supported DC for his country and IN FACT he's played more for his country than the other top players by double or more over his career...

That's my point, the numbers outline a clear refutation to all the talk about him NEVER supporting DC, etc...

TT

Jan 27, 2014, 6:17:26 PM1/27/14
But the point is that he's not supported his team in recent years when
they have actually qualified for the world group. Swiss team has been
jojoing between world group qualies and losing first round cause Fed
didn't play.

This is because Federer has cared more about his personal success at
other tournaments... and he has pretty much played only when he had to
in order to maintain his place in Olympic team.

What he played when he was younger is not really relevant since he
wasn't as successful at other tournaments - DC didn't tire him extra
since he wasn't in finals that much.

There's an argument to be made that skipping DC makes it easier to won
slams & masters.

Patrick Kehoe

Jan 27, 2014, 6:46:28 PM1/27/14
I agree with your post...

AND...

When people on this forum state he's never played or has played very little DC I refer them to the stats... that's all...

TT

Jan 27, 2014, 6:53:40 PM1/27/14
28.1.2014 1:46, Patrick Kehoe kirjoitti:
> I agree with your post...

I'm speechless.

ca1houn

Jan 30, 2014, 12:05:59 PM1/30/14
Can't we just put it on a shirt

ca1houn

Jan 30, 2014, 12:08:00 PM1/30/14
On Sunday, January 26, 2014 12:14:07 PM UTC-8, SliceAndDice wrote:
Fuck Davis cup i need a slam

ca1houn

Jan 30, 2014, 12:08:40 PM1/30/14
Yeah like Pete cheap ass

ca1houn

Jan 30, 2014, 12:15:13 PM1/30/14
On Monday, January 27, 2014 3:17:26 PM UTC-8, TT wrote:
FYI brainiac TT tennis is not a team sport, so it would logically make sense to think of your personal goals in this sport

ca1houn

Jan 30, 2014, 12:16:04 PM1/30/14
God is Good

kaennorsing

Jan 30, 2014, 1:47:28 PM1/30/14
Op dinsdag 28 januari 2014 00:17:26 UTC+1 schreef TT:

> But the point is that he's not supported his team in recent years when
>
> they have actually qualified for the world group. Swiss team has been
>
> jojoing between world group qualies and losing first round cause Fed
>
> didn't play.
>

> This is because Federer has cared more about his personal success at
>
> other tournaments... and he has pretty much played only when he had to
>
> in order to maintain his place in Olympic team.
>

> What he played when he was younger is not really relevant since he
>
> wasn't as successful at other tournaments - DC didn't tire him extra
>
> since he wasn't in finals that much.
>

> There's an argument to be made that skipping DC makes it easier to won
>
> slams & masters.

Absolutely correct. But don't forget it's not just a choice between his personal career and the Swiss DC interest but between that of his life as a whole and the Swiss DC interest. Remember he also has a family he likes to be around and that's dependant on him and as Patrick showed he's earned plenty of DC-credits in the past. Of course it's unfortunate for him and especially Stan that by the time he's started devaluing DC time the potential level of Swiss DC success has increased with Wawrinka. Who knows, Fed might reconsider and give DC one last ultimate effort.

TT

Jan 30, 2014, 2:42:02 PM1/30/14
30.1.2014 20:47, kaennorsing kirjoitti:
> Who knows, Fed might reconsider and give DC one last ultimate effort.

The latest news is that Fed is playing this weekend in Serbia. What's
controversial about it is that he confirmed his involvement only after
Djoke confirmed that he doesn't play.

Djoke commented about the news that Fed wants to help Switzerland to
take down mighty Lajovic. The probable cause is that Fed can't bare Stan
first winning a slam and then taking credit for beating Serbia. Also
Djoke not playing and Stan's form now opens the draw for Swiss team to
actually make it deep.

Also, Fed is a bit unfairly the swiss number one player for the DC, not
Stan... since rankings are based on time when the team was confirmed 10
days ago. But Federer confirmed only couple days ago...

I hope they don't win it, Fed doesn't deserve the cup... playing only
when draw looks good.

Pelle Svanslös

Jan 30, 2014, 3:33:30 PM1/30/14
On 30.1.2014 20:42, TT wrote:
> 30.1.2014 20:47, kaennorsing kirjoitti:
>> Who knows, Fed might reconsider and give DC one last ultimate effort.
>
> The latest news is that Fed is playing this weekend in Serbia. What's
> controversial about it is that he confirmed his involvement only after
> Djoke confirmed that he doesn't play.

The slimeball.

--
"Got no time for jibba jabba"

trr

Jan 30, 2014, 6:35:57 PM1/30/14
On Thursday, January 30, 2014 12:42:02 PM UTC-7, TT wrote:
> 30.1.2014 20:47, kaennorsing kirjoitti:
>
> > Who knows, Fed might reconsider and give DC one last ultimate effort.
>

> The latest news is that Fed is playing this weekend in Serbia. What's
>
> controversial about it is that he confirmed his involvement only after
>
> Djoke confirmed that he doesn't play.

Figures, he doesn't want to be shown up
yet again by the greats.

> Djoke commented about the news that Fed wants to help Switzerland to
>
> take down mighty Lajovic. The probable cause is that Fed can't bare Stan
>
> first winning a slam and then taking credit for beating Serbia. Also

Yup, also without Stan, Federer wouldn't have
a doubles OG.

Fednatic

Jan 30, 2014, 9:37:18 PM1/30/14
God is Great.

Fednatic

Jan 30, 2014, 9:38:08 PM1/30/14
On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 09:16:04 -0800 (PST), ca1houn
<vaget...@yahoo.com> wrote:

God is the real Goat.

Whisper

Jan 30, 2014, 10:05:50 PM1/30/14
On 27/01/2014 6:40 AM, Garvin Yee wrote:

> 1. There is a first time for everything, and anything is possible.
>
> 2. Don't listen when people tell you your odds of winning.
>
> 3. "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again.
> Fail better," is a quote worthy to tattoo on your forearm!
>
> 4. Never, EVER...give up.

You forgot;

5. "There is always a chance your opponent can get an injury."

kaennorsing

Jan 31, 2014, 8:46:28 AM1/31/14
Op vrijdag 31 januari 2014 04:05:50 UTC+1 schreef Whisper:
6. "Don't get distracted when your opponent dramatically plays the injury card just as you're beating them like drum (in case Rafa is your opponent)."

Shakes

Jan 31, 2014, 11:58:03 AM1/31/14
On 2014-01-31 13:46:28 +0000, kaennorsing said:

> 6. "Don't get distracted when your opponent dramatically plays the
> injury card just as you're beating them like drum (in case Rafa is your
> opponent)."

7. Also, don't forget to capitalize on your returns when your opponent
starts serving 23 mph slower than he was doing earlier in the match.

8. Make sure you don't succumb to pity and give the ball right back to
your opponent when he doesn't move as he usually does and is unable to
get to your shots.

9. During the change-over, tell your opponent that it's better to
retire mid-match because a) he might otherwise aggravate his injury, b)
the injury claim appears more genuine.
Of course, when your opponent does this, he will still be criticized
for denying you the joy of victory.

arahim

Jan 31, 2014, 12:13:47 PM1/31/14
On Monday, January 27, 2014 3:31:22 AM UTC-8, Whisper wrote:
Wouldn't it still be a personal goal if his goal was to play for Switzerland?

Booger

Jan 31, 2014, 6:59:14 PM1/31/14
On Thursday, January 30, 2014 12:42:02 PM UTC-7, TT wrote:
Of all the people to complain about playing only when the draw looks good, you should be the last one to bring this up as a Rafa fan. Check out when Nadal plays DC... it's more often than not at home in Spain and on clay. Nadal sits out the away matches. He has also never played in every rubber in the years that he "won" with Spain. He just lets the deep Spain team get him there and he jumps in. Federer can't skip a rubber. Without him, Switzerland is toast. Wawa can't win it on his own.

Pelle Svanslös

Feb 1, 2014, 2:31:23 AM2/1/14
It's normal for the top players to skip DC. Or play the ties that fit in
the schedule. Everybody does that.

What is unheard of is confirming your participation only after a chief
rival has confirmed dropping out. Now Rogi the Fearless has a weekend
practice with a team of ranks 102, 237, 268 and 1355.

How do you spell p-u-s-s-y.

drew

Feb 4, 2014, 11:35:08 AM2/4/14
On Friday, January 31, 2014 11:58:03 AM UTC-5, Shakes wrote:

> 9. During the change-over, tell your opponent that it's better to
>
> retire mid-match because a) he might otherwise aggravate his injury, b)
>
> the injury claim appears more genuine.
>
> Of course, when your opponent does this, he will still be criticized
>
> for denying you the joy of victory.

10. After each point you win by exploiting your opponents inability to move you should mock his expressions of pain and tell him, "It's only gonna get worse, I'm going to make you run and bend, run and bend."

Shakes

Feb 4, 2014, 6:29:26 PM2/4/14
Sometimes it helps if there is some bad blood between opponents.
I recall the 1998 USO SF between Sampras and Rafter. When Sampras got
injured during the 3rd set, it didn't faze Rafter one bit, given their
"feud" that yr.
Later, during Wim 2000 F, it was clearly different as they had sorted
out their feud by then.

Scott

Feb 8, 2014, 10:29:41 PM2/8/14
...and if Fed didn't play you'd call him a pussy for ducking the competition.