Greatest WTA slam finals in the last 25 years without Graf

Calimero

Mar 4, 2010, 2:09:15 PM3/4/10
Graf participated in the Wimbledon 88, FO 92, Wimbledon 93, Wimbledon
95, USO 95, FO 96 and FO 99 finals - all of them most certainly among
the 10 greatest WTA finals of the last 25 years.

But which non-Graf slam finals are up there among those great slam
finals?
FO 85 (Evert-Navratilova) for sure.
But after that??

Max

SliceAndDice

Mar 4, 2010, 2:21:07 PM3/4/10

Wimbledon 2005 (Venus-Davenport)
Wimbledon 2006 (Mauresmo-Henin)

vfer...@hotmail.com

Mar 4, 2010, 3:05:04 PM3/4/10
On Mar 4, 2:09 pm, Calimero <calimero...@gmx.de> wrote:

AO 1993 Seles-Graf

FO 2001 Capriati -Clijsters

AO 2002 Capriati -Hingis

Calimero

Mar 4, 2010, 3:57:29 PM3/4/10
On 4 Mrz., 21:05, vferr...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 4, 2:09 pm, Calimero <calimero...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Graf participated in the Wimbledon 88, FO 92, Wimbledon 93, Wimbledon
> > 95, USO 95, FO 96 and FO 99 finals - all of them most certainly among
> > the 10 greatest WTA finals of the last 25 years.
>
> > But which non-Graf slam finals are up there among those great slam
> > finals?
> > FO 85 (Evert-Navratilova) for sure.
> > But after that??
>
> > Max
>
> AO 1993 Seles-Graf

What was "great" about that?
Oh, I forgot, Seles's greatest achievement. At the least prestigious
slams of them all. Against Graf on her worst surface.

> FO 2001 Capriati -Clijsters

I don't think you watched that match. Probably the slam final with the
most unforced errors in the open era. Just terrible.

> AO 2002 Capriati -Hingis

High drama. But very average quality-wise.

Max

Raja, The Great

Mar 4, 2010, 4:28:04 PM3/4/10
On Mar 4, 1:09 pm, Calimero <calimero...@gmx.de> wrote:

> But which non-Graf slam finals are up there among those great slam
> finals?
> FO 85 (Evert-Navratilova) for sure.
> But after that??

The best important finals that I have seen, in terms of high quality
both sides.

1982 AO (Evert vs Navi) -- on tape
1987 FO (Graf vs Navi) -- on tape
1988 Wim (Graf vs Navi) --- live
1989 Wim (Graf vs Navi) --- live
1988 USO (Graf vs Navi) --- tape
1989 YEC (Graf vs Navi) -- tape
1993 AO (Graf vs Seles) --- live
1993 FO (Graf vs Fernandez) --- live
1993 Wim (Graf vs Novotna) --- live
1995 FO (Graf vs Sanchez) --- live
1995 Wim (Graf vs Sanchez) --- live
1995 USO (Graf vs Seles) --- live
1996 FO (Graf vs Sanchez) --- live
1996 Wim (Graf vs Sanchez) --- live
1996 USO (Graf vs Seles) --- live
2007 YEC (Sharapova vs Henn) --- live

Raja, The Great

Mar 4, 2010, 4:28:50 PM3/4/10
On Mar 4, 2:57 pm, Calimero <calimero...@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 4 Mrz., 21:05, vferr...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > On Mar 4, 2:09 pm, Calimero <calimero...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > > Graf participated in the Wimbledon 88, FO 92, Wimbledon 93, Wimbledon
> > > 95, USO 95, FO 96 and FO 99 finals - all of them most certainly among
> > > the 10 greatest WTA finals of the last 25 years.
>
> > > But which non-Graf slam finals are up there among those great slam
> > > finals?
> > > FO 85 (Evert-Navratilova) for sure.
> > > But after that??
>
> > > Max
>
> > AO 1993 Seles-Graf
>
> What was "great" about that?
> Oh, I forgot, Seles's greatest achievement. At the least prestigious
> slams of them all. Against Graf on her worst surface.

But Graf played a good quality. It was their best final pre stabbing.

vfer...@hotmail.com

Mar 4, 2010, 4:54:14 PM3/4/10
On Mar 4, 3:57 pm, Calimero <calimero...@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 4 Mrz., 21:05, vferr...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > On Mar 4, 2:09 pm, Calimero <calimero...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > > Graf participated in the Wimbledon 88, FO 92, Wimbledon 93, Wimbledon
> > > 95, USO 95, FO 96 and FO 99 finals - all of them most certainly among
> > > the 10 greatest WTA finals of the last 25 years.
>
> > > But which non-Graf slam finals are up there among those great slam
> > > finals?
> > > FO 85 (Evert-Navratilova) for sure.
> > > But after that??
>
> > > Max
>
> > AO 1993 Seles-Graf
>
> What was "great" about that?
> Oh, I forgot, Seles's greatest achievement. At the least prestigious
> slams of them all. Against Graf on her worst surface.

It was a great match and high quality by both players - Just because
Graf lost doesn't alter that fact- except to you.

> > FO 2001 Capriati -Clijsters
>
> I don't think you watched that match. Probably the slam final with the
> most unforced errors in the open era. Just terrible.

Of course I watched it - 2 players I happen to like - what's wrong
with that?

> > AO 2002 Capriati -Hingis
>
> High drama. But very average quality-wise.

Great drama and awesome comeback from 6-4, 4-0 down. I was more than
impressed.

Do you allow anyone to have an opinion that doesn't completely agree
with your own? Get over yourself already.

Raja, The Great

Mar 4, 2010, 4:58:49 PM3/4/10
On Mar 4, 3:54 pm, vferr...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 4, 3:57 pm, Calimero <calimero...@gmx.de> wrote:

> > > AO 1993 Seles-Graf
>
> > What was "great" about that?
> > Oh, I forgot, Seles's greatest achievement. At the least prestigious
> > slams of them all. Against Graf on her worst surface.
>
> It was a great match and high quality by both players - Just because
> Graf lost doesn't alter that fact- except to you.
>
> > > FO 2001 Capriati -Clijsters
>
> > I don't think you watched that match. Probably the slam final with the
> > most unforced errors in the open era. Just terrible.
>
> Of course I watched it - 2 players I happen to like - what's wrong
> with that?

I doubt a Clijsters final would be high quality, I never watched this
match.

> > > AO 2002 Capriati -Hingis
>
> > High drama. But very average quality-wise.
>
> Great drama and awesome comeback from 6-4, 4-0 down.  I was more than
> impressed.
>
> Do you allow anyone to have an opinion that doesn't completely agree
> with your own?  Get over yourself already.

I think it was the worst choke job ever by Hingis. I was so pissed. I
wouldnt call it a classic. Also the heat got to Hingis in that file.
Max is a one-dimensional Graf lover. Ignore him. He can't like
anything which does not involve Graf.

Calimero

Mar 4, 2010, 5:19:10 PM3/4/10
> with your own? ...

No, I don't.

Max

Bink B

Mar 5, 2010, 1:21:12 AM3/5/10
Calimero wrote:

>> AO 2002 Capriati -Hingis
>
> High drama. But very average quality-wise.
> Max

But you asked for greatest slam final not highest quality. The drama in
that match was fantastic! One of my favorites too.

Calimero

Mar 5, 2010, 1:30:19 PM3/5/10
On 5 Mrz., 07:21, Bink B <dung...@disney.com> wrote:
> Calimero wrote:
> >> AO 2002 Capriati -Hingis
>
> > High drama. But very average quality-wise.
> > Max
>
> But you asked for greatest slam final not highest quality.

That's true. Although quality is a part of greatness.

> The drama in that match was fantastic! ...

That is also true. Very dramatic and average quality-wise qualifies
for great, yes.
The FO 99 final Graf/Hingis wasn't top-quality either but nevertheless
one of the greatest matches, many say THE greatest match, in the open
era.

Max

Quincy

Mar 5, 2010, 5:50:07 PM3/5/10

I wonder if there is any discussion on RST where the word "stabbing"
and "knife" are missing.

wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Mar 7, 2010, 3:29:45 PM3/7/10
In article <hmq7si$2jji$2...@zook.lafn.org>, dun...@disney.com (Bink B)
wrote:

It was, I agree, dramatic. But I hated that match so much I wanted to
throw things. In the first set, Capriati couldn't get the ball into court.
In the third set, Hingis could barely play from heat exhaustion.

wg

DavidW

Mar 7, 2010, 4:31:48 PM3/7/10

Yes, one of mine too.