Muguruza dominant

stephenJ

Jul 13, 2017, 8:48:49 AM7/13/17
She's wiping the floor with Rybariskova.

Well done Mugs, so far. At this rate she'll crush Venus or Konta. What
we expected after she won the FO last year.

---

SliceAndDice

Jul 13, 2017, 9:00:25 AM7/13/17
Yes, Muguruza is looking unbeatable. Her net game has improved by leaps and bounds. I think the Kerber match primed her up, Angie would have beaten most girls the way she was playing and still lost.

This was a golden opportunity for Venus in Serena's absence, but (provided she gets past Konta) it might take a peak Serena performance to beat Mugu this time.

ahonkan

Jul 13, 2017, 9:05:32 AM7/13/17
Did this girl Rybarikova actually qualify for Wimbledon, let alone win 5
matches and reach the Semi? I will have to think hard to remember a more
one-sided match. Apart from an upset win over Ka Pliskova, she beat a
bunch of unheralded players and sneaked into the semi.
She is being completely outclassed. Can't hit a single winner. Just giving
soft midcourt balls to Mugu to kill. Hardly any angles, just clueless.

heyg...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2017, 9:08:02 AM7/13/17
I have to think nerves have gotten to her. She can't hit two great shots in a row it seems.

Whisper

Jul 13, 2017, 10:55:10 AM7/13/17
Just watching Venus leading Konta 6-4 4-1 - sorry but Venus will beat
Muguruza in this form.

---
http://www.avg.com

Whisper

Jul 13, 2017, 10:56:20 AM7/13/17
It's not so much the score that bothers me, but her not playing this
match like it's for her life. It's a Wimbledon semi ffs.

---
http://www.avg.com

soccerfan777

Jul 13, 2017, 10:59:25 AM7/13/17
Yep. Muguruza is better than Bollocks-Konta for sure but still would not be able to handle Venus at this level.

The Iceberg

Jul 13, 2017, 11:09:10 AM7/13/17
amazing that Mugu couldn't take a 37 year old Venus!

soccerfan777

Jul 13, 2017, 11:10:06 AM7/13/17
She never displays emotions. She was just nervous there.

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 13, 2017, 1:58:20 PM7/13/17
Muguruza beat down Serena in a major final and that's a rare achievement; she'll be a rough day at the office for Venus.

The Iceberg

Jul 13, 2017, 4:02:39 PM7/13/17
the way Mugu's played the last 3 matches, Venus is toast.

Guypers

Jul 13, 2017, 4:20:07 PM7/13/17
Melba?

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 13, 2017, 9:46:26 PM7/13/17
We can only hope so!

:)

ahonkan

Jul 14, 2017, 1:09:32 AM7/14/17
On Thursday, 13 July 2017 20:26:20 UTC+5:30, Whisper wrote:

> It's not so much the score that bothers me, but her not playing this
> match like it's for her life. It's a Wimbledon semi ffs.

Absolutely. I was surprised that Rybarikova
1. didn't seem to approach the match with a game plan or seriousness,
2. didn't seem to care that she was being embarrassed and
3. didn't change her game plan mid-match when she was getting a hiding.

Whisper

Jul 14, 2017, 6:53:40 AM7/14/17
On clay, sista's weakest surface no?

---
http://www.avg.com

The Iceberg

Jul 14, 2017, 7:01:11 AM7/14/17
she seemed to be playing club social tennis half the time, she was obs very nervous and Mugu was v professional.

kaennorsing

Jul 14, 2017, 2:21:51 PM7/14/17
Op vrijdag 14 juli 2017 12:53:40 UTC+2 schreef Whisper:
> On 14/07/2017 3:58 AM, Patrick Kehoe wrote:

> > Muguruza beat down Serena in a major final and that's a rare achievement; she'll be a rough day at the office for Venus.

> On clay, sista's weakest surface no?

FO clay is a great indicator for Wimbledon grass though, no? :)))

SliceAndDice

Jul 14, 2017, 2:23:28 PM7/14/17
LOL

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 14, 2017, 5:16:18 PM7/14/17
On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 3:53:40 AM UTC-7, Whisper wrote:
> On 14/07/2017 3:58 AM, Patrick Kehoe wrote:

> >> She never displays emotions. She was just nervous there.
> >
> > Muguruza beat down Serena in a major final and that's a rare achievement; she'll be a rough day at the office for Venus.

> On clay, sista's weakest surface no?

Yes, but just as you and I agree on Rafa's beat-downs (victories) over Feds on clay are perfectly valid and meaningful, so too with Muguruza's drubbing of Serena in their FO final. Shows Muguzura's top level can be daunting, literally, for any of the women.

OW

Jul 14, 2017, 10:01:23 PM7/14/17

> the way Mugu's played the last 3 matches, Venus is toast.

I agree Venus is toast if it goes three. But I think Venus will finish her off in two.

Court_1

Jul 15, 2017, 8:18:46 AM7/15/17
On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 9:46:26 PM UTC-4, Patrick Kehoe wrote:

> > the way Mugu's played the last 3 matches, Venus is toast.
>
> We can only hope so!

I'm not a Venus fan but there's no question her winning this title would make the better story given her Sjogren's syndrome and her latest problem with the car accident. I also detest Muguruza's attitude a lot of the time. All of a sudden she's come to life again since her FO win but she's mostly had a miserable attitude at most tournaments for the past year. She'll also have more opportunities to win slams but for Venus, this could be her last chance.

soccerfan777

Jul 15, 2017, 9:06:13 AM7/15/17
So you want Venus to win just out of pity. Not because she will be the better player?

Whatever happened to "may the best person win"?

Whisper

Jul 15, 2017, 9:46:13 AM7/15/17
Agreed, but beating sistas at FO is always going to be easier than the
other slams, statistically speaking.

Gracchus

Jul 15, 2017, 10:31:22 AM7/15/17
On Saturday, July 15, 2017 at 6:06:13 AM UTC-7, soccerfan777 wrote:

> So you want Venus to win just out of pity. Not because she will be the better player?

> Whatever happened to "may the best person win"?

Half the people here pretending to root for Venus didn't really want her to win. They were bowing to peer pressure.

soccerfan777

Jul 15, 2017, 10:38:15 AM7/15/17
Yeah white guilt. I am no white so I don't have any;)

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 15, 2017, 10:42:10 AM7/15/17
Well, I like Muguzuza, jezz, even her name is cool... Love her tennis and the fight she's put up this fortnight was that of a champion... and so it came to be...

Whisper

Jul 15, 2017, 10:44:47 AM7/15/17
Yes, she was great all tournament. Big turn around from her crap
efforts since winning FO, so hopefully she can maintain a good solid
effort going forward & not revert back to mediocrity.

---
http://www.avg.com

Gracchus

Jul 15, 2017, 10:48:07 AM7/15/17
I know, Patrick. You were one of the very few yesterday saying give Muguruza a little love. Everyone else was like, "Awww, wouldn't it be the greatest feel-good story if Venus won?" No, actually it wouldn't and I'm glad she didn't. I'm sick of the damn Williamses and their never-ending drama.

kaennorsing

Jul 15, 2017, 6:43:52 PM7/15/17
Op zaterdag 15 juli 2017 16:31:22 UTC+2 schreef Gracchus:
I sure wasn't. Garbine has everything Venus lacks: looks, charm, elegance and the will and motivation to fight for every point... Why root for Venus?

kaennorsing

Jul 15, 2017, 6:44:43 PM7/15/17
Op zaterdag 15 juli 2017 16:48:07 UTC+2 schreef Gracchus:
Amen!

soccerfan777

Jul 15, 2017, 8:29:53 PM7/15/17
Gracchus, did you see how Venus was taking a walk with her small cup and making an ass of herself. She thought the crowd will think it is cute. She was basically stealing Muguruzas thunder

Gracchus

Jul 15, 2017, 9:05:50 PM7/15/17
On Saturday, July 15, 2017 at 5:29:53 PM UTC-7, soccerfan777 wrote:

> Gracchus, did you see how Venus was taking a walk with her small cup and making an ass of herself. She thought the crowd will think it is cute. She was basically stealing Muguruzas thunder

That's how daddy taught his daughters to be. Sometimes it seems like Venus is less that way than Serena, but it will always be part of them both.

SliceAndDice

Jul 15, 2017, 10:40:37 PM7/15/17
Seems a bit harsh. Venus especially has been through a lot, and that she is still making finals, showing love for the game is very admirable. She could have easily hung up her racquet once Serena completely outshone her or when she was diagnosed with a debilitating autoimmune disorder. But she has continued to fight through it all with grace. And Muguruza has a VERY long way to go to match her. And you do not have to root for her (and Serena) to see that. I certainly do not.

calim...@gmx.de

Jul 16, 2017, 12:50:45 AM7/16/17
Amen.

Max

Gracchus

Jul 16, 2017, 12:56:44 AM7/16/17
It's not harsh at all. Put things in proper perspective.