Watching the Kerber girl

calim...@gmx.de

May 28, 2017, 7:28:32 AM5/28/17
She is the current #1 ... ?

Lol

Max

Court_1

May 28, 2017, 7:32:29 AM5/28/17

Not everybody can win 10+ slams and be #1 for 300+ weeks! She's experiencing the same problem #1 Murray is.

calim...@gmx.de

May 28, 2017, 7:53:37 AM5/28/17
On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 1:32:29 PM UTC+2, Court_1 wrote:
> Not everybody can win 10+ slams and be #1 for 300+ weeks! She's experiencing the same problem #1 Murray is.

Kerber is proof how low the level of women's tennis had sunk in the last 10 years.

Max

soccerfan777

May 28, 2017, 10:02:12 AM5/28/17
Thought you were real proud of her when she won those majors last year

calim...@gmx.de

May 28, 2017, 10:19:40 AM5/28/17
On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 4:02:12 PM UTC+2, soccerfan777 wrote:
> Thought you were real proud of her when she won those majors last year

Proud of Kerber?
Me?
Why?

Max

soccerfan777

May 28, 2017, 10:42:18 AM5/28/17
Because she is a German

Gracchus

May 28, 2017, 10:52:10 AM5/28/17
On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 7:42:18 AM UTC-7, soccerfan777 wrote:

> Because she is a German

They love singing old German war songs in beer halls while watching their heroes. But Kerber has Polish blood, so Max might take no national pride in her.

The Iceberg

May 28, 2017, 11:10:12 AM5/28/17
Wonder if Stan gets the same kind of thing in Switzerland?

calim...@gmx.de

May 28, 2017, 12:43:53 PM5/28/17
Lol. I'm no Trumper, you joker!

And - how can I watch my heroes in a beer hall?

Max

calim...@gmx.de

May 28, 2017, 12:45:02 PM5/28/17
On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 5:10:12 PM UTC+2, The Iceberg wrote:
> Wonder if Stan gets the same kind of thing in Switzerland?

The Swiss and Germans don't have this nativist streaks (at least any more) many people in the UK and esp. in the USA have.

Max

Gracchus

May 28, 2017, 2:11:19 PM5/28/17
Don't any beer halls have television sets? Years ago I saw a boxing match where George Foreman fought some German guy. The network switched over occasionally to Germany during the fight and showed the other fighter's fans congregated in a beer hall to watch the match. They were all raising their steins and singing ancient Nazi songs the way you guys do. So there it is then.

calim...@gmx.de

May 28, 2017, 2:28:48 PM5/28/17
On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 8:11:19 PM UTC+2, Gracchus wrote:
> On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 9:43:53 AM UTC-7, calim...@gmx.de wrote:

> > > They love singing old German war songs in beer halls while watching their heroes. But Kerber has Polish blood, so Max might take no national pride in her.
> >

> > Lol. I'm no Trumper, you joker!
> >
> > And - how can I watch my heroes in a beer hall?
>
> Don't any beer halls have television sets?

Lol

> Years ago I saw a boxing match where George Foreman fought some German guy. The network switched over occasionally to Germany during the fight and showed the other fighter's fans congregated in a beer hall to watch the match.

Most probably was no beer hall.

> They were all raising their steins and singing ancient Nazi songs the way you guys do. So there it is then.

Ah, all those great Nazi songs!!!
Which ones did they sing?

Max

Gracchus

May 28, 2017, 4:07:05 PM5/28/17
On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 11:28:48 AM UTC-7, calim...@gmx.de wrote:
> On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 8:11:19 PM UTC+2, Gracchus wrote:

> > Years ago I saw a boxing match where George Foreman fought some German guy. The network switched over occasionally to Germany during the fight and showed the other fighter's fans congregated in a beer hall to watch the match.

> Most probably was no beer hall.

Maybe a Biergarten then.

> > They were all raising their steins and singing ancient Nazi songs the way you guys do. So there it is then.

> Ah, all those great Nazi songs!!!
> Which ones did they sing?

That one about Horst Wessel. They were all goosestepping in place while they drank and sang. After the fight, they shook their fists at Foreman's black image on the screen and cursed him for beating their great German hope.

TT

May 28, 2017, 4:20:41 PM5/28/17

*skriptis

May 28, 2017, 5:30:02 PM5/28/17
Gracchus <grac...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 11:28:48 AM UTC-7, calim...@gmx.de wrote:
>> On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 8:11:19 PM UTC+2, Gracchus wrote:
>
>> > Years ago I saw a boxing match where George Foreman fought some German guy. The network switched over occasionally to Germany during the fight and showed the other fighter's fans congregated in a beer hall to watch the match.
>
>> Most probably was no beer hall.
>
> Maybe a Biergarten then.

Just today

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-05-28/merkel-tell
s-beer-tent-rally-that-europe-must-plot-own-course

ha ha

>> > They were all raising their steins and singing ancient Nazi songs the way you guys do. So there it is then.
>
>> Ah, all those great Nazi songs!!!
>> Which ones did they sing?
>
> That one about Horst Wessel. They were all goosestepping in place while they drank and sang. After the fight, they shook their fists at Foreman's black image on the screen and cursed him for beating their great German hope.

Songs didn't kill anyone. Irrelevant. It's very hard to maintain
taboo indefinitely. Eventually someone will be rebellious and
start singing it.

You don't rebel by working in a bank.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

calim...@gmx.de

May 28, 2017, 6:07:25 PM5/28/17
I will try that.
Goosestepping while drinking and singing, lol!!

You Trumpers really have funny ideas!

Max

bob

May 28, 2017, 6:57:45 PM5/28/17
i will check out one of the famous beer halls in munich next month and
let you know as kerber will be at wimbledon around that timeframe. i
bet they sing their hearts out, and if max is lying i'll happily call
it out here.

bob

stephenJ

May 29, 2017, 9:00:03 AM5/29/17
>On 5/28/2017 6:28 AM, calim...@gmx.de wrote:
> She is the current #1 ... ?

Serena is the holder of two slam titles so should be #1. It's just one
of those glitches in the ranking system. Sad but that's the way it is. :(

---

stephenJ

May 29, 2017, 9:02:10 AM5/29/17
>On 5/28/2017 6:32 AM, Court_1 wrote:
>
> Not everybody can win 10+ slams and be #1 for 300+ weeks! She's experiencing the same problem #1 Murray is.

Kerber will win another slam within the next year, probably this year's
USO. Everyone loses but she's the real deal.

The Iceberg

May 29, 2017, 9:16:59 AM5/29/17
yes they do, they just lie and say they don't.

*skriptis

May 29, 2017, 9:30:03 AM5/29/17
bob <b...@nospam.net> Wrote in message:
You could learn in advance some of the "horst weasel lied" lyrics
so you can surprise them?

calim...@gmx.de

May 29, 2017, 11:37:40 AM5/29/17
Why, Germans and the Swiss aren't dumb Trumpers and Brexiteers who are afraid of the modern world!

Max

*skriptis

May 29, 2017, 1:30:03 PM5/29/17
calim...@gmx.de Wrote in message:
Importing jihadists into your country is considered "modern" for you?
Kinda sick, imo.

Nice, Paris, Brussels, Manchester, just to name the few most recent.

Does anyone wonder why no such events occur in Warsaw, Prague, or
Budapest?

https://youtu.be/o3VSKECLfqI

calim...@gmx.de

May 29, 2017, 4:22:08 PM5/29/17
On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 10:07:05 PM UTC+2, Gracchus wrote:
> On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 11:28:48 AM UTC-7, calim...@gmx.de wrote:
> > On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 8:11:19 PM UTC+2, Gracchus wrote:
>
> > > Years ago I saw a boxing match where George Foreman fought some German guy. The network switched over occasionally to Germany during the fight and showed the other fighter's fans congregated in a beer hall to watch the match.
>
> > Most probably was no beer hall.
>
> Maybe a Biergarten then.
>
> > > They were all raising their steins and singing ancient Nazi songs the way you guys do. So there it is then.
>
> > Ah, all those great Nazi songs!!!
> > Which ones did they sing?
>
> That one about Horst Wessel. ...

Lol, almost overlooked that gem!!!
Singing that song would be a criminal offense, you dimwit.
Paragraph 86a Penal Code.

Lying again?
Let me guess - you must be an American "liberal"?

Max

bob

May 29, 2017, 8:53:37 PM5/29/17
why...yes! good idea.

bob

Whisper

May 30, 2017, 6:36:11 AM5/30/17
On 29/05/2017 11:02 PM, stephenJ wrote:
> >On 5/28/2017 6:32 AM, Court_1 wrote:
>>
>> Not everybody can win 10+ slams and be #1 for 300+ weeks! She's
>> experiencing the same problem #1 Murray is.
>>

> Kerber will win another slam within the next year, probably this year's
> USO. Everyone loses but she's the real deal.

Disagree. What she did last yr falls into the 'colossal fluke' category
imo.

Look at her AO win for eg - she was down 2 match points in 1st rd to
lose in straight sets to a nobody, yet she wins those points & the
match, & goes on to beat Serena in the final. Had she lost 1st rd she
would have won 30k prizemoney. As champion she ended up with 3 mil.

---
http://www.avg.com

Court_1

May 30, 2017, 6:58:25 AM5/30/17
That's a ridiculous post. Who cares how she lost in the first round? Lots of players almost lose early round matches and go on to win slams, including some of the GOATS of the sport.

Secondly, Kerber won TWO slams last year and not only the AO. Winning two slams isn't a fluke. Like Murray, Kerber used up a lot of energy trying to get to #1 last year and she's slumping at the moment like Murray is. Whether she'll win another slam who knows but a two slam winner is no chump.

Whisper

May 30, 2017, 7:21:44 AM5/30/17
Ok 'fluke' is not really correct. What I meant is she's like 30 other
players - in theory capable of winning a slam, but just as likely to
lose to anybody in 1st rd. Stosur started the trend.

stephenJ

May 30, 2017, 8:13:38 AM5/30/17
That's one way to look at it. On the other hand, you could say it's the
mark of a champ that she battled back like that. Saving match points in
earlier rounds and then winning a GS title isn't all that rare -
Sampras, Becker, Joker, and Henin have all done it, and the only male
and female to have done it twice are Laver and Serena. Also, she did
then win the USO. One slam title can be called a fluke, it's harder to
do it with two.

---

stephenJ

May 30, 2017, 8:14:21 AM5/30/17
Well said. :)

---

ahonkan

May 30, 2017, 11:45:55 AM5/30/17
On Tuesday, 30 May 2017 16:06:11 UTC+5:30, Whisper wrote:

> Disagree. What she did last yr falls into the 'colossal fluke' category
> imo.

Not only did she *win* 2 GS titles but reached the final of another.
She lost one GS final to and won one GS final against Serena, the #1.
If that makes her a 'colossal fluke', I rest my case.

> Look at her AO win for eg - she was down 2 match points in 1st rd to
> lose in straight sets to a nobody, yet she wins those points & the
> match, & goes on to beat Serena in the final. Had she lost 1st rd she
> would have won 30k prizemoney. As champion she ended up with 3 mil.

Maybe she plays the early rounds half-a*sed like your hero Pete? :-)
Have you forgotten how Borg was also very dicey in the early rounds?
That didn't prevent him from racking up 6 FO's & 5 W's.

*skriptis

May 30, 2017, 12:01:03 PM5/30/17
ahonkan <aho...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> On Tuesday, 30 May 2017 16:06:11 UTC+5:30, Whisper wrote:
>
>> Disagree. What she did last yr falls into the 'colossal fluke' category
>> imo.
>
> Not only did she *win* 2 GS titles but reached the final of another.
> She lost one GS final to and won one GS final against Serena, the #1.
> If that makes her a 'colossal fluke', I rest my case.

So if she wasn't a fluke with 2 slams imagine the odds of Sampras
with 14 slams being a fluke?

Yet we hear that occasionally.

Whisper

May 31, 2017, 6:01:30 AM5/31/17
Yes, kinda difficult to say fluke when she won 2 slams, lost another
slam final & won silver at Olympics. Of the 5 biggest tournaments last
yr (slams + Olympics) she made 4 finals.

Still, I think it's a culmination of many yrs experience (she's old in
tennis terms), lack of top players aside from Serena, & a bit of luck.
Perhaps the biggest factor was the absence of Sharapova? Maria was
pretty much only losing to Serena eg 2015 & 2016 AO she lost to Serena.
Pretty sure Maria would have beaten Kerber most of the time.

I really can't see her factoring in any slams for the rest of her
career. It's a shame because I do like her, just calling it as I see it.

---
http://www.avg.com

Whisper

May 31, 2017, 6:33:23 AM5/31/17
Kerber is 30 yrs old, had 1 great yr on tour. Let's not compare her to
the gods of tennis just yet.

: )

stephenJ

May 31, 2017, 8:58:24 AM5/31/17
Fair enough. I guess we'll see. :)

---

Court_1

May 31, 2017, 11:39:42 PM5/31/17
On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 6:01:30 AM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:

> Still, I think it's a culmination of many yrs experience (she's old in
> tennis terms), lack of top players aside from Serena, & a bit of luck.
> Perhaps the biggest factor was the absence of Sharapova? Maria was
> pretty much only losing to Serena eg 2015 & 2016 AO she lost to Serena.
> Pretty sure Maria would have beaten Kerber most of the time.

Yes, but Kerber did what most people were saying Halep was going to do and failed to do, i.e. take advantage when Serena/Sharapova were off or absent AND Kerber was able to beat Serena in a slam, something Halep couldn't pull off.

It doesn't matter if Kerber never wins another match in her life. She's won two slams and has overachieved already. Her career is a success.

Whisper

Jun 1, 2017, 10:46:31 AM6/1/17
Agreed. I like Kerber - nice girl, great personality, & a gutsy game.
I would love to see her win more slams, but I think she's done.