Mini 7543 update

Whisper

Jul 16, 2017, 11:02:25 AM7/16/17

Federer 100
Sampras 80

---
http://www.avg.com

RaspingDrive

Jul 16, 2017, 11:34:10 AM7/16/17
No updates necessary. The number 19 tells it all.

hu...@whoever.com

Jul 16, 2017, 1:22:42 PM7/16/17
> No updates necessary. The number 19 tells it all. The number 14 with a career slam told it all. The 15 told it all. The 16 told it all...

Gives him something to do. Life is basically meaningless for him at any rate. He can hang on to some 7/7 vs 8/11 and start calculating percentages.

Or grow a new tail.

stephenJ

Jul 16, 2017, 1:40:02 PM7/16/17
On 7/16/2017 10:02 AM, Whisper wrote:

> Federer 100
> Sampras 80

Pretty Amazing. Think of everything Pete accomplished, and it was
incredible, and yet if he won two more W and another USO, he'd still be
behind Federer on 7/5/4/3.

---

ahonkan

Jul 16, 2017, 2:23:08 PM7/16/17
Given that Murray & Djoker may be out for some time and Rafa has not
done so well at USO, Fed should be the hottest favourite,

Manuel aka Xax

Jul 16, 2017, 5:42:19 PM7/16/17
+10, you made my evening !

Not an easy task, after having witnessed GS19 @SW19 !

Whisper

Jul 17, 2017, 7:58:00 AM7/17/17
On 17/07/2017 3:40 AM, stephenJ wrote:
> On 7/16/2017 10:02 AM, Whisper wrote:
>>

>> Federer 100
>> Sampras 80
>>

> Pretty Amazing. Think of everything Pete accomplished, and it was
> incredible, and yet if he won two more W and another USO, he'd still be
> behind Federer on 7/5/4/3.

Sure, but Pete wasn't chasing anything at the time. You do wonder how
he would have gone if he were chasing 19? Would he have retired at 31,
or played on another 5+ yrs like Roger?

That makes it interesting as 5 more yrs would have taken him to 2007,
right when Fed was at his physical peak.

Roddick won 2003 USO, & Sampras crushed Roddick 63 62 64 in 2002 USO Q/F.

Perhaps Fed & Sampras would have faced off in 2003-2007 Wimbledon?

Too bad there's no way of ever knowing.

---
http://www.avg.com

Whisper

Jul 17, 2017, 8:08:37 AM7/17/17
Fed is the best player in the world right now & most certainly will be
fave for USO. However you'd be foolish to discount Rafa.

stephenJ

Jul 17, 2017, 8:10:42 AM7/17/17
On 7/17/2017 6:57 AM, Whisper wrote:
> On 17/07/2017 3:40 AM, stephenJ wrote:
>> On 7/16/2017 10:02 AM, Whisper wrote:
>>>

>>> Federer 100
>>> Sampras 80
>>>

>> Pretty Amazing. Think of everything Pete accomplished, and it was
>> incredible, and yet if he won two more W and another USO, he'd still
>> be behind Federer on 7/5/4/3.

> Sure, but Pete wasn't chasing anything at the time. You do wonder how
> he would have gone if he were chasing 19? Would he have retired at 31,
> or played on another 5+ yrs like Roger?

Good question, and there is no answer. On one hand, surely Pete wouldn't
have wanted to retire without the most slams, and without the most
Wimbledons. On the other, as of age 31, he had just won his 14th slam.
Five slams was a LONG way away in terms of the trajectory of his career.

Even before he broke all the existing records, when he was in 'chase'
mode, Pete hadn't won multiple slams in a year since 1997. From
1998-2000, he won one. At that rate, as of 2003 he would have been five
years and age 36 away from matching 19 slams, and that's assuming he
could win a slam a year. Nobody else has at that age - Federer went 4.5
years in his 30s between winning 2012 W and 2017 AO.

So tempering his desire to be slam king would be the reality of the
situation, which is how human motivation always seems to work.

---

stephenJ

Jul 17, 2017, 8:20:56 AM7/17/17
Rafa almost beat Fed on HC this spring, and he is burning with desire to
make one big push to blast past Fed in legacy/GOAT standings. Losing to
Fed in AO final was a huge blow to him. Not in a demoralizing sense but
in a raise-the-hackles sense.

That's why this loss at W hurt so bad, and why Uncle T had his outburst
against W officials. Coming off of the clay, both thought Rafa was in
Fed-beating form going into this event, and with Murray and Joker
obviously slumping, this W was a huge chance for Rafa to close the gap
to just two slams. That's why Rafa has taken this loss about as hard as
any I've ever seen him take a loss. And then Fed winning the title
doubles the pain.

I agree Nadal will come out guns blazing for the US Open. But IMO he has
to plan for it, as HC is rough on his body and the USO is a tough grind
for everyone. He's in a tougher position than Fed because historically,
his game is less "hop off couch" than Fed's, he needs court time to get
his timing down on HC. It's a dilemma - play fewer tuneups and come to
USO fresher but maybe rusty, or play more and come to USO in the zone,
but with more wear/tear on the body.

---

RaspingDrive

Jul 17, 2017, 8:22:58 AM7/17/17
Now that the slam gap is again 4, I expect Rafa, still a GOAT contender, to perk up and be competitive at USO. He may even beat Federer there. Its going to be a great USO 2017.

RaspingDrive

Jul 17, 2017, 8:24:30 AM7/17/17
Good post.