China calls U.S. a hypocrite over human rights

Superdave

Mar 12, 2010, 7:06:12 PM3/12/10

China calls U.S. a hypocrite over human rights

Fri Mar 12, 5:51 am ET

BEIJING (Reuters) – China accused Washington of hypocrisy on Friday for its
criticism of Beijing's restrictions on the Internet and dissent, blaming the
United States for the financial crisis and saying its own rights record was
terrible.

In its annual survey of human rights in 194 countries issued on Thursday, the
U.S. State Department criticized China, along with Cuba, Myanmar, North Korea
and Russia.

China's State Council Information Office, or cabinet spokesman's office, issued
its own annual assessment of the United States' human rights record in response,
and this year it dwelt on America's economic woes.

"The United States not only has a terrible domestic human rights record, it is
also the main source of many human rights disasters worldwide," the Chinese
report said, according to the official Xinhua news agency.

"Especially a time when the world is suffering serious human rights disasters
caused by the global financial crisis sparked by the U.S. sub-prime crisis, the
U.S. government has ignored its own grave human rights problems and reveled in
accusing other countries."

Washington has long criticized of China on human rights, and the subject has
added to recent tensions with Beijing, which has also pushed back over arms
sales to Taiwan and President Barack Obama's meeting with the Dalai Lama, the
exiled Tibetan leader.

China has claimed sovereignty over Taiwan since their split in 1949 amid civil
war, and reviles the Dalai Lama as a "separatist" for seeking self-rule for his
Himalayan homeland.

PELOSI TIBET REMARKS CONDEMNED

China's Foreign Ministry, in a separate statement, also condemned U.S. House of
Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi for comments earlier this week honoring
"the many brave Tibetans who have sacrificed their lives fighting for freedom."

"We advise the relevant U.S. congresswoman to respect the facts, abandon her
prejudices and stop using the Tibet issue to interfere in China's internal
affairs," spokesman Qin Gang said in a statement on the ministry's website
(http://www.fmprc.gov.cn).

China's Internet controls have also thrust Beijing into a dispute with search
engine giant Google, which has said it may shut down its Chinese-language
Google.cn portal and draw back from the Chinese market out of concerns over
censorship and a hacking attack from within the country.

China has intensified restrictions on the Internet, imposed tight control over
people seen as threats to Communist Party rule, and increased repression of
Uighurs after ethnic violence and riots in Xinjiang, the country's restive
far-western region, said the State Department report.

China's Communist Party authorities have shown little patience with Western
criticisms of Beijing's punishment of political dissidents and protesters.

Late last year, U.S. officials decried the sentencing of prominent Chinese
dissident Liu Xiaobo to 11 years in jail on charges of "inciting subversion."

The latest Chinese counter-blast to U.S. criticisms said Washington should
concentrate on "improving its own human rights."

----------------------

If anyone's to blame for our economy, it's the US corporate bloodsuckers who
shipped all our jobs overseas so they can make a quick profit, and the Wall St
parasites who are bleeding this country dry. Those economic traitors should
HANG.

Calimero

Mar 12, 2010, 7:29:47 PM3/12/10
On 13 Mrz., 01:06, Superdave <the.big.rst.kah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> China calls U.S. a hypocrite over human rights
>
> Fri Mar 12, 5:51 am ET ...

Hazey and his comrades ...

Max

Gracchus

Mar 12, 2010, 8:39:42 PM3/12/10
On Mar 12, 7:29 pm, Calimero <calimero...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hazey and his comrades ...
>
> Max

Thank you, blanders-lite.

Message has been deleted

Fan

Mar 13, 2010, 3:26:07 AM3/13/10

China firing back with US human right violations does not make China’s
human rights violations acceptable. Two wrongs do not make a right.
The Chinese Communists are horrible on human rights and they should be
criticized and criticized without letting them hide behind US human
rights violations. Condemnation of China for the brutal treatment of
Tibetans and Uyg(h)ur people must never stop.
Reading the US human rights report being critical of minority issues
of European countries leaves one wondering if those people lost their
minds. In Europe, the minorities are the perpetrators, not the
victims. Gypsy crime in some European countries has reached
unmanageable proportions with daily brutal murder of elderly citizens.
US human rights reports should concentrate on human rights violations
by the US government and Israel. I say Israel because US supports
Israel no matter how brutal their treatment of Palestinian. The
cluster bombs and white phosphorus bombs Israel used in Gaza were
supplied by the US. We should clean our own house first and be an
example for respect for human rights, not a lot of hot air.
When governments use such terms as “human rights”, “terrorism” and
such, we should watch out for them for their violations of human
rights and for their acts of terrorism because their noble sounding
communiqués are a good indication that they are up to something evil.
However, we should not ignore human rights violations and condemn it
regardless of the perpetrator and the victim. These warning and
condemnations should not come from governments but from unbiased
private investigative organizations. We should listen to Amnesty
International and private American and Israeli human rights
organizations, not to any self-serving government using “human rights”
for political purposes.

Gracchus

Mar 13, 2010, 8:42:18 AM3/13/10
On Mar 13, 3:26 pm, Fan <Turnagain...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> China firing back with US human right violations does not make China’s
> human rights violations acceptable. Two wrongs do not make a right.
> The Chinese Communists are horrible on human rights and they should be
> criticized and criticized without letting them hide behind US human
> rights violations. Condemnation of China for the brutal treatment of
> Tibetans and Uyg(h)ur people must never stop.

All true. My only objection was to Calimero implying that Dave is a
communist for posting this.

> Reading the US human rights report being critical of minority issues
> of European countries leaves one wondering if those people lost their
> minds. In Europe, the minorities are the perpetrators, not the
> victims. Gypsy crime in some European countries has reached
> unmanageable proportions with daily brutal murder of elderly citizens.
> US human rights reports should concentrate on human rights violations
> by the US government and Israel. I say Israel because US supports
> Israel no matter how brutal their treatment of Palestinian. The
> cluster bombs and white phosphorus bombs Israel used in Gaza were
> supplied by the US. We should clean our own house first and be an
> example for respect for human rights, not a lot of hot air.

I agree.

Fan

Mar 13, 2010, 11:45:56 AM3/13/10
On Mar 13, 2:42 pm, Gracchus <cernunn...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 13, 3:26 pm, Fan <Turnagain...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > China firing back with US human right violations does not make China’s
> > human rights violations acceptable. Two wrongs do not make a right.
> > The Chinese Communists are horrible on human rights and they should be
> > criticized and criticized without letting them hide behind US human
> > rights violations. Condemnation of China for the brutal treatment of
> > Tibetans and Uyg(h)ur people must never stop.
>
> All true. My only objection was to Calimero implying that Dave is a
> communist for posting this.

I fault Dave for finding fault only with America. A far better way to
fight human rights abuses is to donate to independent human rights
organizations.
I am painfully aware of US human rights violations and make no excuses
for them but it would be a big mistake to give a pass to China or any
other country guilty of human rights violations. Dave’s one side
condemnation of America makes me think that he either does not know or
does not care about other human rights violations.
This is good source for getting a better balanced picture:
http://www.amnesty.org/
Human Rights Watch is another source:
http://www.hrw.org/
You do not have to agree with them on everything but they are still
better than countries taking shots at each other for political
purposes.

Superdave

Mar 13, 2010, 6:26:40 PM3/13/10

Only my condemnationof hypocrisy is one sided. It just pisses me off that the
USA is the only one that lectures the world on human rights while they are busy
themselves torturing, renditing, running gulags and slaughtering innocent people
around the globe. Who else does this? Only America "pretends" to be perfect
while it criticizes others.

Gracchus

Mar 13, 2010, 9:07:57 PM3/13/10
On Mar 13, 6:26 pm, Superdave <the.big.rst.kah...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Only my condemnationof hypocrisy is  one sided. It just pisses me off that the
> USA is the only one that lectures the world on human rights while they are busy
> themselves torturing, renditing, running gulags and slaughtering innocent people
> around the globe. Who else does this? Only America "pretends" to be perfect
> while it criticizes others.

Yes, the sanctimonious hypocrisy is hard to stomach, and even worse is
that so many Americans swallow it whole.

Sao Paulo Swallow

Mar 13, 2010, 9:20:43 PM3/13/10

Doesn't Dave advocate stoning gays?

Gracchus

Mar 13, 2010, 9:39:04 PM3/13/10
On Mar 13, 9:20 pm, Sao Paulo Swallow <Sao_Paulo_Swal...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Doesn't Dave advocate stoning gays?

Yes, and celebrating the deaths of drug-addicted models. I prefer to
believe that he is indulging in pitch-black humor on these issues,
though it exceeds my bad-taste threshold for humor.