Vienna: Haider-Mauer d Muster 6-2 7-6(5)

TT

Oct 26, 2010, 1:32:29 PM10/26/10
Muster is the future of tennis. You heard it here first.

--
"I am no more a witch than you are a wizard, and if you take away my
life God will give you blood to drink"

Sakari Lund

Oct 26, 2010, 6:28:28 PM10/26/10
On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 20:32:29 +0300, TT <do...@email.me> wrote:

>Muster is the future of tennis. You heard it here first.

So what happened to Gulbis? Did Muster take my advice, and Gulbis is
lost in the Vienna nightlife? :-)

But a good result by Muster. Haider-Maurer is the guy who took
S�derling to 5 sets at USO.

John P

Oct 26, 2010, 10:35:43 PM10/26/10
so was this a one-time Austrian thing for Muster or is he planning on
playing more ATP Tour events?

uly...@mscomm.com

Oct 26, 2010, 10:44:09 PM10/26/10
He says he will enter 20 tournaments next year (No joke).

jdeluise

Oct 26, 2010, 10:44:20 PM10/26/10

On 26-Oct-2010, JT...@webtv.net (John P) wrote:

> so was this a one-time Austrian thing for Muster or is he planning on
> playing more ATP Tour events?

I think he's serious about this. He already played a challenger earlier in
the year.

Whisper

Oct 27, 2010, 5:40:58 AM10/27/10

I don't blame him. Must be frustrating for him watching these clowns
attempt to play tennis. I almost feel like entering some tune-ups myself.

Sakari Lund

Oct 27, 2010, 7:04:18 AM10/27/10
On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 02:44:20 GMT, "jdeluise" <jdel...@gmail.com>
wrote:

He has played a lot of challengers. I think it was something like one
win in seven matches. Of course he needs wild cards for challengers,
not to mention ATP events, so it depends how much the organizers are
willing to give wild cards for him.

PeteWasLucky

Oct 27, 2010, 7:31:08 AM10/27/10

He can be fit but he will take forever to be able to recover for his
next match.

Javier González

Oct 27, 2010, 8:54:22 AM10/27/10

Please do. And post clips.

undecided

Oct 27, 2010, 1:44:55 PM10/27/10

That's BS. I am 45 and I can play 2 consecutive days for 2-3 hrs each
day. A month ago I played 3 matches in 2 days. And this was on hard
courts. If you train well, eat well and rest well you can play.And, I
don't have the perks that pro players have like getting massages after
every match, etc. Only physical issue I am facing now is worsening
vision and tendinitis on both arms. I used to have rare short bouts
with tendinitis when i was younger but this last one has lasted more
than 1 month already.

jdeluise

Oct 27, 2010, 2:25:36 PM10/27/10

On 27-Oct-2010, undecided <cos...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And, I
> don't have the perks that pro players have like getting massages after
> every match, etc.

Or even during! :)

Iceberg

Oct 28, 2010, 8:05:00 AM10/28/10

that is good to hear! have to say it's very impressive that Muster
took the world number 157 to a tiebreak in pretty much his first
proper ATP match.

drew

Oct 28, 2010, 12:21:28 PM10/28/10
On Oct 27, 5:40 am, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

 I almost feel like entering some tune-ups myself.

I'd suggest our Men's B club tournament qualifying.

Court one is glassed on the observation side so you don't have to
worry about losing your errant serves in the bleachers.

drew

Oct 28, 2010, 12:26:07 PM10/28/10
On Oct 27, 1:44 pm, undecided <cost...@gmail.com> wrote:
.

. Only physical issue I am facing now is worsening
> vision and tendinitis on both arms.

I know. Difficulty seeing that you're not in your 20s anymore. It
affects
many middle-aged men, especially those who consider themselves virile
and athletic.

Time cures it. By the time you get to your mid-fifties you have to be
blind
not to see it.

undecided

Oct 29, 2010, 10:31:51 AM10/29/10

Think what you wish. I know my limitations. Truth is, I am leaner,
stronger and faster than i've ever been. I weigh the same as I did
when in college but I am far stronger and quicker.

I played a continuous 50 stroke drill on Sunday and my heart rate only
got up to 160.

I am training a lot better and eating a lot better than I ever have. I
am going to repeat myself that my only issues are joint pains and
slightly worsened vision. 20/25 in one eye and 20/40 in the other.
Used to have perfect vision in my 20s.

I am sure more issues will crop up as I get older but I will continue
to attempt to at least counter act the effects of aging by better
training and diet.

MBDunc

Oct 29, 2010, 10:45:31 AM10/29/10
On 29 loka, 17:31, undecided <cost...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am sure more issues will crop up as I get older but I will continue
> to attempt to at least counter act the effects of aging by better
> training and diet.

...something I miss. My previously great footwork have toileted badly
and one of my (relative) strenghts, running FH shots are now gone for
good...

I blame my poor fitness and extra 7-8kg I have to carry.... ;)

.mikko

drew

Oct 29, 2010, 11:21:42 AM10/29/10
On Oct 29, 10:31 am, undecided <cost...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 28, 12:26 pm, drew <d...@technologist.com> wrote:
>
> > On Oct 27, 1:44 pm, undecided <cost...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > .
>
> > . Only physical issue I am facing now is worsening
>
> > > vision and tendinitis on both arms.
>
> > I know.  Difficulty seeing that you're not in your 20s anymore.  It
> > affects
> > many middle-aged men, especially those who consider themselves virile
> > and athletic.
>
> > Time cures it.  By the time you get to your mid-fifties you have to be
> > blind
> > not to see it.
>
> Think what you wish. I know my limitations. Truth is, I am leaner,
> stronger and faster than i've ever been. I weigh the same as I did
> when in college but I am far stronger and quicker.

I don't mean to be a jerk but were you in good shape in college?
All things being equal a man of 45 is not going to be as fast as a man
of 25
It simply doesn't work that way. There are undeniable physiological
changes
that occur after 30.

> I am sure more issues will crop up as I get older but I will continue
> to attempt to at least counter act the effects of aging by better
> training and diet.

Sure. Good diet and exercise go a long way to mitigate the inevitable
decline but it is also true that even those of us who are in touch
with
our bodies....we tend to be less objective than others who see us.

I'm not trying to throw cold water on your fitness claims. I also
work quite
hard to stay fit and young. Improvements I have made are largely due
to the
fact that I didn't optimize certain aspects of my fitness when in my
youth.

Now had I been a world class athlete (as if...LOL) then the decline
in speed,
endurance and so on would be most undeniable.

And I think this is the point. Not that you cannot be in shape at 45
but
you cannot compete in tennis with the best in the world as you might
at 25.

At the club level you might still be the king at 45....even 50
depending on the club. :-)

drew

Oct 29, 2010, 11:23:34 AM10/29/10

I blame my scales for not recording the 5 kg I deserve to have lost
with
my calorie reduced diet.