Federer-Youzhny

Carey

Aug 31, 2017, 1:14:17 PM8/31/17
Who knows? heh

Carey

Aug 31, 2017, 3:30:46 PM8/31/17
Youzhny's serving at 0-3 first set.

Court_1

Aug 31, 2017, 3:44:24 PM8/31/17
How anybody can watch Federer play these goons, I have no idea. If Federer was on a stretcher, he could beat guys like Youzhny, Lopez, etc. It won't get interesting in Federer's section until he has to play better players like Del Potro, Thiem, etc.

And Nadal's quarter? LOL. As if it wasn't a joke before even with Berdshit and Dimitrov. If he loses before the SF stage with those non-entities in his section, he needs to seriously consider packing it in.

FEDAL SF, here we come!

Carey

Aug 31, 2017, 3:47:20 PM8/31/17
Fed breadsticks Youzhny for the first set. Vamos!

TennisGuy

Aug 31, 2017, 3:54:51 PM8/31/17
On 8/31/2017 3:47 PM, Carey wrote:
> Fed breadsticks Youzhny for the first set. Vamos!

Youzhny needs to smash his racket into his face to wake up! :)

Carey

Aug 31, 2017, 3:55:18 PM8/31/17
I'd rather watch Fed do a masterclass on a punching bag than watch a Murrovic
Major Final. there.

PeteWasLucky

Aug 31, 2017, 3:57:20 PM8/31/17
> Youzhny needs to smash his racket into his face to wake up! :

Fed got bored and got himself broken

Carey

Aug 31, 2017, 4:07:11 PM8/31/17
Fed hits a *dropshot ROS winner*.

[shakes head]

SliceAndDice

Aug 31, 2017, 4:34:58 PM8/31/17
Fed is hurting it looks like..playing very lackluster at the moment. Retirement coming up?

SliceAndDice

Aug 31, 2017, 4:41:32 PM8/31/17
What's going on with Roger really? Barely moving to balls, butnot even calling for a trainer.

TennisGuy

Aug 31, 2017, 4:41:51 PM8/31/17
On 8/31/2017 4:34 PM, SliceAndDice wrote:
> Fed is hurting it looks like..playing very lackluster at the moment.
> Retirement coming up?

Yes it looks like his back injury is flaring up. :)
Right Court_1 ?

Lesson for all tennis players (including Federer).

The scoring system for tennis is quite brilliant.

You can blitz an opponent in one set, but at the start of the next set
you don't hold a lead in that new set.
You might feel good psychologically, having just won the previous
set, but that's the extent of it.

You can't take your foot off the pedal and expect your opponent to
collapse.
And you shouldn't start experimenting with your strokes until
you have built up a *sizeable lead* in the new set!

Once you have a sizeable lead, by all means
play around and experiment, but not before then.
Otherwise you will make your work that much harder for you.
And you may even find yourself at 1-1 in sets.

Guypers

Aug 31, 2017, 4:55:05 PM8/31/17
Youzhny broke in 3rd set, Fed is toast!

Carey

Aug 31, 2017, 4:57:44 PM8/31/17
36 unforced errors so far from the Great Man. Bummer.

SliceAndDice

Aug 31, 2017, 4:58:10 PM8/31/17
Why isn't fed calling for a trainer? Don't get it!

TennisGuy

Aug 31, 2017, 4:59:29 PM8/31/17
Federer making things unnecessarily difficult for himself.

Anybody telling you the scoreline now after watching the first
set would say you must be insane.

Federer obviously in pain.
Mental pain!

rec.sport.tennis

Aug 31, 2017, 4:59:36 PM8/31/17
On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 13:34:56 -0700, SliceAndDice wrote:

> Fed is hurting it looks like..playing very lackluster at the moment.
> Retirement coming up?

Roger Federer NEVER retires

Gracchus

Aug 31, 2017, 5:01:04 PM8/31/17
Yeah, not looking good. Seems Federer's public comments about feeling fine were all smoke. He started the tournament compromised.

Court_1

Aug 31, 2017, 5:05:48 PM8/31/17
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 4:41:51 PM UTC-4, TennisGuy wrote:

> Yes it looks like his back injury is flaring up. :)
> Right Court_1 ?

Federer is definitely not 100% healthy/fit both physically and mentally. His mobility is impaired from the little I've seen of this match. You must be blind if you can't see that.

Even if he wins this match, I doubt he'll win this tournament. It's a combination of dealing with a back injury, not preparing well enough for this event(Fed said that himself), a mental letdown after winning the 8th Wimbledon, etc.

He looks like he's fighting himself out there but he's completely out of sorts.

Gracchus

Aug 31, 2017, 5:09:09 PM8/31/17
Don't let him beat you, Roger, he's a washed up Russian!

But right now it's looking like a happy day for the howler monkey (and his howler fans).

Court_1

Aug 31, 2017, 5:13:25 PM8/31/17
Even if Federer makes it to Nadal (assuming Nadal gets there himself), can you see this Federer beating Nadal? Federer has to be at 100% to beat Nadal. He can't do it if he's dealing with back issues or if he's mentally not there or both.

TennisGuy

Aug 31, 2017, 5:15:42 PM8/31/17
Nobody beats Youzhny 17 times in a row!

Gracchus

Aug 31, 2017, 5:17:12 PM8/31/17
Sad but true. And now he's just lost the third set, so now he's *burnt* toast. Hey, maybe Mr. Cap Strap will win the whole thing. :>

calim...@gmx.de

Aug 31, 2017, 5:18:10 PM8/31/17
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 9:44:24 PM UTC+2, Court_1 wrote:
> How anybody can watch Federer play these goons, I have no idea. If Federer was on a stretcher, he could beat guys like Youzhny, Lopez, etc. ...

Yeah, boring how Feddy dominates this goon today.

BTW, what's the slam count for Bouchard currently ... ?

Max

Gracchus

Aug 31, 2017, 5:21:08 PM8/31/17
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 2:15:42 PM UTC-7, TennisGuy wrote:

> Nobody beats Youzhny 17 times in a row!

Wow, you're right. Like Connors-Gerulaitis all over again. That breakthrough wasn't in a slam, but IIRC, Vitas later beat Connors at the FO.

Roger is hanging on gamely though. Always a chance Youzhny might still implode.

calim...@gmx.de

Aug 31, 2017, 5:21:26 PM8/31/17
Don't get worried!
A real tennis expert here in RST (retired paralegal from CDN) assured us that even on a stretcher Feddy would beat goons like Youzhny easily!

Max

Court_1

Aug 31, 2017, 5:26:19 PM8/31/17
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 5:17:12 PM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:

> Hey, maybe Mr. Cap Strap will win the whole thing. :>

I'd be ecstatic with that result! How fantastic would that fairy tale story be?

SliceAndDice

Aug 31, 2017, 5:27:41 PM8/31/17
Watch out for Rublev as well, he looked scary good today.

Guypers

Aug 31, 2017, 5:33:04 PM8/31/17
Fed looks very tired?

Carey

Aug 31, 2017, 5:34:20 PM8/31/17
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 2:27:41 PM UTC-7, SliceAndDice wrote:
> Watch out for Rublev as well, he looked scary good today.

I think Fed will win this in five, but...

TennisGuy

Aug 31, 2017, 5:37:04 PM8/31/17
If Fed tells us he felt fine physically after the match,
are you going to say he was lying Court_1?

Carey

Aug 31, 2017, 5:43:20 PM8/31/17
As was pointed out earlier, what else can he say, unless he retires from the
tourney? "I'm injured, come and get me?"

TennisGuy

Aug 31, 2017, 5:55:05 PM8/31/17
What a brilliant guy that Fed is. A genius.

The match was getting really boring for him, the crowd and Court_1,
So he decided to make it more interesting by throwing the next two sets
and make it look like a close match.

Absolutely brilliant!

RaspingDrive

Aug 31, 2017, 5:59:04 PM8/31/17
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 1:14:17 PM UTC-4, Carey wrote:
> Who knows? heh

wow, what happened? Fifth set now. Federer making two mistakes on Y's serve already.

RaspingDrive

Aug 31, 2017, 6:01:57 PM8/31/17
Hope so, but it is Fed-error who is there now.

TennisGuy

Aug 31, 2017, 6:18:20 PM8/31/17
Another painful to watch Fed classic.

Carey

Aug 31, 2017, 6:21:09 PM8/31/17
Fed breaks, serving now at 4-2 in the fifth.

TennisGuy

Aug 31, 2017, 6:24:21 PM8/31/17
Time for another face-smack?

Carey

Aug 31, 2017, 6:26:12 PM8/31/17
Raffi *definitely* licking his chops now.

Court_1

Aug 31, 2017, 6:29:19 PM8/31/17
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 5:21:26 PM UTC-4, calim...@gmx.de wrote:

> Don't get worried!
> A real tennis expert here in RST (retired paralegal from CDN) assured us that even on a stretcher Feddy would beat goons like Youzhny easily!

And what happened horse fetish boy? Federer was on his deathbed and Youzhny still wasn't able to get the job done yet again!

Carey

Aug 31, 2017, 6:29:52 PM8/31/17
Fed takes it. yeesh

Court_1

Aug 31, 2017, 6:31:08 PM8/31/17
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 5:37:04 PM UTC-4, TennisGuy wrote:

> If Fed tells us he felt fine physically after the match,
> are you going to say he was lying Court_1?

Yes. I'd say he's lying. He's clearly hampered by a physical issue. Are you seriously trying to argue successfully that Federer doesn't have a back issue? Go away with that silliness.

TennisGuy

Aug 31, 2017, 6:34:42 PM8/31/17
I will believe whatever Fed tells us.
I am sure he doesn't lie.

TennisGuy

Aug 31, 2017, 6:35:22 PM8/31/17
Nobody, except Roger Federer! LOL!

PeteWasLucky

Aug 31, 2017, 6:35:50 PM8/31/17
> What a brilliant guy that Fed is. A genius.

The match was getting really boring for him, the crowd and Court_1,
So he decided to make it more interesting by throwing the next two sets
and make it look like a close match.

Absolutely brilliant!

Yes he has himself to blame after getting bored after winning the first set.

Court_1

Aug 31, 2017, 6:36:22 PM8/31/17
LOL. *rolls eyes* Do or believe whatever you want. All you have to do is watch Federer for five minutes to see he's dealing with a physial issue.

RaspingDrive

Aug 31, 2017, 6:36:31 PM8/31/17
Yay! Bring on Deliciano!

RaspingDrive

Aug 31, 2017, 6:37:23 PM8/31/17
I was unable to watch the first three sets and most of fourth. This Federer is certainly on the decline.

Court_1

Aug 31, 2017, 6:37:29 PM8/31/17
He's not bored. He's carrying an injury!

Court_1

Aug 31, 2017, 6:39:13 PM8/31/17
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 6:36:22 PM UTC-4, Court_1 wrote:

> a physial issue.

*physical

RaspingDrive

Aug 31, 2017, 6:39:26 PM8/31/17
Federer is just warmed up (according to him). Bravado, I guess.

PeteWasLucky

Aug 31, 2017, 6:40:08 PM8/31/17
> LOL. *rolls eyes* Do or believe whatever you want. All you have to do is watch Federer for five minutes to see he's dealing with a physial issue.

I don't understand, is the tennisguy saying Federer is physically perfect?

Absolutly no, but I agree with him he got himself in trouble today after getting bored winning the first set 6-1.

Carey

Aug 31, 2017, 6:41:19 PM8/31/17
Does this mean he's playing Lopez next? Can't see him escaping that one.

RaspingDrive

Aug 31, 2017, 6:41:27 PM8/31/17
He is trying to get through the first week.

RaspingDrive

Aug 31, 2017, 6:43:07 PM8/31/17
That's what I understood from that post-match on-court interview with Cahill.

TennisGuy

Aug 31, 2017, 6:43:53 PM8/31/17
On 8/31/2017 6:31 PM, Court_1 wrote:
6:40 pm after match interview:

Fed: "Now that the back is in the past"

Did you hear that Court_1?

Court_1

Aug 31, 2017, 6:44:21 PM8/31/17
I'm not arguing with an obsessive and unreasonable Federer fan on this issue. Federer is dealing with a back injury! It's clear as day. The only question is, can he get to the point with physical therapy, injections, etc. where he can start to play many levels better? Because right now he's playing with his D game. He has to get to his A game to beat the better players.

Carey

Aug 31, 2017, 6:44:38 PM8/31/17
Could both things be simultaneously true? :)

RaspingDrive

Aug 31, 2017, 6:45:35 PM8/31/17
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 6:40:08 PM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:
Lack of practice due to the tweaked back, hence a somewhat out-of-focus Federer. Hope he gains in confidence and regains his touch (if not the movement) soon.

TennisGuy

Aug 31, 2017, 6:46:13 PM8/31/17
Yes he'll need a wheelchair if he makes it to the second week!

RaspingDrive

Aug 31, 2017, 6:48:01 PM8/31/17
Of course! I am not arguing otherwise. Certainly Federer's back is not in the best state and as a result he appears under-cooked and working to tide the first week crises.

TennisGuy

Aug 31, 2017, 6:48:03 PM8/31/17

Carey

Aug 31, 2017, 6:49:37 PM8/31/17
Expect Raffi to destroy tonight's chump.

Court_1

Aug 31, 2017, 6:49:58 PM8/31/17
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 6:43:53 PM UTC-4, TennisGuy wrote:

> 6:40 pm after match interview:
>
> Fed: "Now that the back is in the past"
>
> Did you hear that Court_1?

It's bullshit! Federer doesn't usually talk about his injuries until a while after a tournament is over. He's dealing with a back injury or the prospect and fear of doing more damage to his shaky back. How can anybody watch his last two matches and not say he's dealing with a physical problem? Seriously, go away.

He'll have to get injections/physical therapy and hope everything improves because he has to raise his game about three levels to beat the best players left in the draw. Hopefully, it will all fall into place but I'm not feeling peachy about it at the moment.

PeteWasLucky

Aug 31, 2017, 6:51:10 PM8/31/17
> I'm not arguing with an obsessive and unreasonable Federer fan on this issue. Federer is dealing with a back injury! It's clear as day. The only question is, can he get to the point with physical therapy, injections, etc. where he can start to play many levels better? Because right now he's playing with his D game. He has to get to his A game to beat the better players.

I don't think he is getting any injections or therapy. Also there is no way he is going to win this title playing five sets matches even if he is healthy.

It was a mistake when he decided to play in Canada.

TennisGuy

Aug 31, 2017, 6:51:39 PM8/31/17
Imagine if Fed wins this thing playing all 5-setters
(and a 'bad back') ? :)

Court_1

Aug 31, 2017, 6:53:50 PM8/31/17
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 6:51:10 PM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:

> It was a mistake when he decided to play in Canada.

Why Canada? Can't back problems flare up in Cinci? *rolls eyes*

PeteWasLucky

Aug 31, 2017, 6:58:16 PM8/31/17
> Why Canada? Can't back problems flare up in Cinci? *rolls eyes*

The weather and court speed.

He decided to play it and play Cinci as well, and this was a mistake.

He has done great in Cinci over the years, and the conditions there are good to prepare for the US open.

Court_1

Aug 31, 2017, 7:10:10 PM8/31/17
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 6:51:39 PM UTC-4, TennisGuy wrote:

> Imagine if Fed wins this thing playing all 5-setters
> (and a 'bad back') ? :)

All that would do is reiterate how poor the field is. I hope that doesn't happen. Either I hope Federer's back condition improves and he can play his A game to win the title or else I hope this infirm version of Federer loses soon and let a healthy player win the title.

SliceAndDice

Aug 31, 2017, 7:32:43 PM8/31/17
This is the most depleted field that I can remember in recent years. For just this reason, I am still hopeful that Roger can play his way back into form despite the horrible show put up by him in the last two rounds.

I do not understand this secrecy either. It is clear to everyone that he is suffering from something. Nadal would have been screaming about it from the rooftops. The least Fed should do is to take treatment during matches.

PeteWasLucky

Aug 31, 2017, 8:04:58 PM8/31/17
> this infirm version of Federer loses soon and let a healthy player win the title

So Federer needs to lose to let healthy players win instead of healthy players taking him down?

stephenJ

Aug 31, 2017, 8:08:24 PM8/31/17
On 8/31/2017 12:14 PM, Carey wrote:
> Who knows? heh

Funny how this thread starts with blase cocky dismissal of Fed's
opponent, to gleeful mocking of him, to slight concern, to major worry,
then to abject gloom and desperation ... before the sun finally emerges
from the clouds.

Remember, every one of these guys is a pro and the difference between #1
and #50 is a sliver. Never count on anything being easy.

---

Carey

Aug 31, 2017, 8:11:57 PM8/31/17
"who knows?" is cocky?

heh

Court_1

Aug 31, 2017, 8:24:55 PM8/31/17
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 8:04:58 PM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> > this infirm version of Federer loses soon and let a healthy player win the title
>
> So Federer needs to lose to let healthy players win instead of healthy players taking him down?

You want to see Federer win at any cost. I don't want to continue to see this infirm Federer struggle to win matches and have him somehow win the title in that form. That would be a joke and wouldn't speak well for the field or the sport would it? I want to see Federer playing his A game or close to it to win the title, not this invalid version.

Fed's victory at Wimbledon over limp biscuit Cilic suffering from blisters or whatever other malady he had was a hollow victory for me. I want to see the best players playing each other to their best abilities, not some one-sided romp.

So, do I want Federer to win the title? Of course but a physically healthy and mentally present Federer. In any case, in order for Federer to win the title, he'll have to improve a lot IMO.

PeteWasLucky

Aug 31, 2017, 8:41:13 PM8/31/17
> You want to see Federer win at any cost. I don't want to continue to see this infirm Federer struggle to win matches and have him somehow win the title in that form. That would be a joke and wouldn't speak well for the field or the sport would it? I want to see Federer playing his A game or close to it to win the title, not this invalid version.

I don't know what you are saying. He is no Kyrgios and he won't quit.

He won Wimbledon 2017 with a bad back as well.

TennisGuy

Aug 31, 2017, 8:51:51 PM8/31/17
Exactly. Fed hasn't been healthy for a very long time now.
Get used to it Courty. He's an ol' man. His bones are creakin'.
I'll take whatever wins he can manage.

I didn't mind his romp over Cilic at all.
In fact I was ecstatic.

John Liang

Aug 31, 2017, 9:05:32 PM8/31/17
I think court1 is going to hate me for saying the obvious. When Federer is in a situation like today, he is more likely to continue to play the match until he lost or win the last point. Nadal in the similar situation would retire or showing some sign of resignation. Despite his over the top celebration when he wins an important point, I never thought Nadal was mentally tougher than Federer against all comers.

Carey

Aug 31, 2017, 9:14:55 PM8/31/17
I agree. Fed will gamely continue on until someone actually stops him, even if
that means facing Raffi when Fed's hurt. Look at all the time the Great Man
showed up at FO Finals only to get hammered yet again. Now at thirty-six,
though, I think Lopez will shorten what may be his last run.

Court_1

Aug 31, 2017, 9:31:10 PM8/31/17
He's NOT in his Wimbledon 2017 form! He won Wimbledon without dropping a set. His play at Wimbledon vs his play here is day and night, at least so far. You truly can't see the difference?

Gracchus

Aug 31, 2017, 9:36:26 PM8/31/17
LOL. Yep, he beat everyone who was in his path to the title. Of course a competitive, closely-fought match is preferable because it's more exciting and memorable. But if a player like Cilic mentally crumbles after a few games, it's hardly Federer's fault to be made of better stuff. Nothing "hollow" about winning his 8th Wimbledon and 19th slam no matter how it comes.

Court_1

Aug 31, 2017, 9:50:51 PM8/31/17
I agree with you about everything you said above. I'm only voicing my opinion that the final sucked just like the FO final sucked this year(both one-sided thrashings.) But a slam win is a slam win and it's logged into the history books. Nobody cares how a title comes.

I don't think Federer is going to win this USO. I didn't think so at the beginning of the tournament when I saw the draw come out and I certainly don't think so now. I hope I'm completely wrong and that Federer will get it together as the tournament goes on and he can raise his level tremendously vs players like Del Potro/Thiem/Nadal, etc.

PeteWasLucky

Aug 31, 2017, 9:51:21 PM8/31/17
> He won Wimbledon 2017 with a bad back as well.

Meant 2012

Court_1

Aug 31, 2017, 9:56:55 PM8/31/17
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 9:51:21 PM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> > He won Wimbledon 2017 with a bad back as well.
>

> Meant 2012

He was five years younger.

PeteWasLucky

Aug 31, 2017, 10:19:02 PM8/31/17
> He was five years younger.

I see, so he needs to lose to allow healthy players to win, lol :)

Court_1

Aug 31, 2017, 10:41:53 PM8/31/17
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 10:19:02 PM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> > He was five years younger.
>
> I see, so he needs to lose to allow healthy players to win, lol :)

I didn't say that. I said I don't want to see an infirm Federer continue to struggle and then somehow pull off winning the tournament in his current form. That would be ridiculous for the state of the sport to have a 36-year-old player with a sore back win the title. I want to see Federer start to heal and find his groove and play his best. Got it?

TennisGuy

Aug 31, 2017, 10:48:20 PM8/31/17
So you honestly think a sore back heals overnight? :)

PeteWasLucky

Aug 31, 2017, 10:50:12 PM8/31/17
> I didn't say that. I said I don't want to see an infirm Federer continue to struggle and then somehow pull off winning the tournament in his current form. That would be ridiculous for the state of the sport to have a 36-year-old player with a sore back win the title. I want to see Federer start to heal and find his groove and play his best. Got it?

So what's wrong if he can beat with a bad back the same players he beat with healthy back?

Patrick Kehoe

Aug 31, 2017, 11:41:21 PM8/31/17
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 5:08:24 PM UTC-7, StephenJ wrote:
> On 8/31/2017 12:14 PM, Carey wrote:
> > Who knows? heh
> >

> Funny how this thread starts with blase cocky dismissal of Fed's
> opponent, to gleeful mocking of him, to slight concern, to major worry,
> then to abject gloom and desperation ... before the sun finally emerges
> from the clouds.
>
> Remember, every one of these guys is a pro and the difference between #1
> and #50 is a sliver. Never count on anything being easy.

1 and 25... totally agree... not much in it... top 5 are just unusually consistant compared to all others, typically...

ahonkan

Sep 1, 2017, 2:14:30 AM9/1/17
Didn't Serena win FO last year playing a bunch of 3-setters? Against
Bacszinsky, she looked so ill that I was afraid she would collapse on
the court. Great players gut it out and that's what Fed is doing.

Fed is a perfect 12-0 vs Feli. I think he's going to persist with the
bravado about everything being perfect. At that level, these are mind
games. At the same time, I think Feli also realizes this is his best
chance. In fact, the cheeky Steve G who maintains the H2H records of
all players, is quite confident Feli is going to win. Check this out:
http://www.stevegtennis.com/head-to-head/men/Roger_Federer/Feliciano_Lopez/

There you have it! A bold prediction that Fed's going to lose to Feli!

ahonkan

Sep 1, 2017, 2:19:14 AM9/1/17
On Friday, 1 September 2017 05:54:55 UTC+5:30, Court_1 wrote:

> Fed's victory at Wimbledon over limp biscuit Cilic suffering from blisters or whatever other malady he had was a hollow victory for me. I want to see the best players playing each other to their best abilities, not some one-sided romp.

Would you say the same about Rafa's wimbledon title over Berdych, Murray's
wimbledon title over Raonic, Djoker's AO win over Tsonga etc? S*it happens.
Why single Fed out? The guy was in sublime form reaching the final w/o
dropping a set and surely was the favourite to win, injury or not?

Tuan

Sep 1, 2017, 2:34:44 AM9/1/17
Battle of the walking wounded! Fed got through the 1st round 5-setter because a 19-year old choked in the final game. He got though the 2nd round 5-setter because a 35-year old got injured. He's not going to win this tournament.

ahonkan

Sep 1, 2017, 3:13:44 AM9/1/17
On Friday, 1 September 2017 12:04:44 UTC+5:30, Tuan wrote:
> Battle of the walking wounded! Fed got through the 1st round 5-setter because a 19-year old choked in the final game. He got though the 2nd round 5-setter because a 35-year old got injured. He's not going to win this tournament.

Vs Tiafoe, he had MP(s) serving at 5-3 in the 5th when he got broken. So isn't
it correct to say that Fed choked first?
Vs Youzhny, Fed had SP(s) in the 2nd set before he got broken and lost the
set in TB. So he choked there too.

Tuan

Sep 1, 2017, 5:30:04 AM9/1/17
Not sure if he choked or was bothered by his back. Noticed in the latter part of the Youzhny match he was receiving the SECOND serve from about 3 metres behind the baseline - unheard of!

PeteWasLucky

Sep 1, 2017, 6:35:49 AM9/1/17
> Not sure if he choked or was bothered by his back. Noticed in the latter part of the Youzhny match he was receiving the SECOND serve from about 3 metres behind the baseline - unheard of!

Oh, you didn't see nadal yesterday returning serve from Spain :)

Tuan

Sep 1, 2017, 7:23:31 AM9/1/17
On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 8:35:49 PM UTC+10, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> > Not sure if he choked or was bothered by his back. Noticed in the latter part of the Youzhny match he was receiving the SECOND serve from about 3 metres behind the baseline - unheard of!
>
> Oh, you didn't see nadal yesterday returning serve from Spain :)

Unheard of for Federer, of course. For Nadal it's like 5-10 metres.

Carey

Sep 1, 2017, 9:43:07 AM9/1/17
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 11:34:44 PM UTC-7, Tuan wrote:
> Battle of the walking wounded! Fed got through the 1st round 5-setter because a 19-year old choked in the final game. He got though the 2nd round 5-setter because a 35-year old got injured. He's not going to win this tournament.

+1

Court_1

Sep 1, 2017, 12:35:19 PM9/1/17
On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 2:19:14 AM UTC-4, ahonkan wrote:

> Would you say the same about Rafa's wimbledon title over Berdych, Murray's
> wimbledon title over Raonic, Djoker's AO win over Tsonga etc? S*it happens.
> Why single Fed out? The guy was in sublime form reaching the final w/o
> dropping a set and surely was the favourite to win, injury or not?

I DID say the same in my post above about Nadal and his one-sided FO 2017 final vs Pizza Face Wawrinka. Every time I mention anything slightly unflattering about Federer, you become a hysterical being and lose your marbles bringing up Nadal. I said that Federer's 8th Wimbledon win was fantastic but the final vs mental patient Cilic was a letdown after Federer's superb prior rounds in the exact same way Nadal's FO run and final were. Chill.

bob

Sep 1, 2017, 7:15:44 PM9/1/17
On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 14:09:07 -0700 (PDT), Gracchus
<grac...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 2:05:48 PM UTC-7, Court_1 wrote:
>> On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 4:41:51 PM UTC-4, TennisGuy wrote:
>>
>> > Yes it looks like his back injury is flaring up. :)
>> > Right Court_1 ?
>>
>> Federer is definitely not 100% healthy/fit both physically and mentally. His mobility is impaired from the little I've seen of this match. You must be blind if you can't see that.
>>
>> Even if he wins this match, I doubt he'll win this tournament. It's a combination of dealing with a back injury, not preparing well enough for this event(Fed said that himself), a mental letdown after winning the 8th Wimbledon, etc.
>>
>> He looks like he's fighting himself out there but he's completely out of sorts.
>
>Don't let him beat you, Roger, he's a washed up Russian!
>
>But right now it's looking like a happy day for the howler monkey (and his howler fans).

no - i want a rafa/fed SF. best against the best. no chickens way out
in my book! :-)

bob

Carey

Sep 1, 2017, 7:23:53 PM9/1/17
"...best against the best." Can you say a bit more about that, bob? :)

Court_1

Sep 1, 2017, 7:26:26 PM9/1/17
You're so full of shit. Of course you want a Fedal SF with Federer in this crappy form. Nadal will murder this Federer!

bob

Sep 1, 2017, 7:41:11 PM9/1/17
On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 16:23:52 -0700 (PDT), Carey <carey...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
how bout peak roger VS "out of sorts" rafa? :-))

bob
It is loading more messages.