Federer vs. Serena

TennisGuy

Jun 27, 2015, 2:12:44 PM6/27/15
The match of the century is all set up.

Two titans in the sport of tennis.

The 33-year-olds will battle it out on Center Court at Wimbledon.

To be gentlemanly, Federer has decided to give Serena an advantage in
the format.

It will be best of three if Serena can win with that, or best of five if
she finds she's down 0-2 or 1-2 and needs more time.

What will the score be folks?

I say Federer wins 6-0, 6-1, 6-0 (he will likely get bored and lose
concentration somewhere in the second set).

Guypers

Jun 27, 2015, 2:32:11 PM6/27/15
If Sampy played Serena she would win 6-4,6-3!!!!!

Ulysses

Jun 27, 2015, 4:01:20 PM6/27/15
I can't believe people still think any woman player would beat a male professional. Fed would destroy Serena love and love and he wouldn't even have to be in first gear.

McEnroe at age 56 would beat her 6-1, 6-2, and that's being charitable. I just was watching a Mac-Sampras exo last night on TV. Mac still can return Pete's 135 MPH bombs down the T. So let no one suggest Mac couldn't get back Serena's serve.

In addition, Serena couldn't return any of the men's serves. Don't you remember years ago when that journeyman Karsten Braasch played both Williams sisters and I think they both got 3 games between themselves.

As for current Sampras, he would DESTROY Serena. She couldn't get her racket on most of his second serves... that score would be 6-1, 6-0.

Gracchus

Jun 27, 2015, 4:19:55 PM6/27/15
On Saturday, June 27, 2015 at 1:01:20 PM UTC-7, Ulysses wrote:

> I can't believe people still think any woman player would beat a male professional. Fed would destroy Serena love and love and he wouldn't even have to be in first gear.

> McEnroe at age 56 would beat her 6-1, 6-2, and that's being charitable. I just was watching a Mac-Sampras exo last night on TV. Mac still can return Pete's 135 MPH bombs down the T. So let no one suggest Mac couldn't get back Serena's serve.
>
> In addition, Serena couldn't return any of the men's serves. Don't you remember years ago when that journeyman Karsten Braasch played both Williams sisters and I think they both got 3 games between themselves.

And remember what Braasch said afterward...that most of the time he was taking a lot off his serve to keep things fun. When asked what he thought the Williams' chances were against male pros, he said something like, "Anyone in the top 500, no way...because I was playing like number 600 today." Serena in typical style said that in a year, she'd beat him. But notice no rematch was ever requested.

Years before that, Gerulaitis took some heat for saying that the top 100 men players would beat Navratilova. Chris Evert was asked about it and said she thought the top 1000 could do it. She noted that her own brother, a college player, could beat her with no problem.

So yes, even a fossilized McEnroe would take Serena apart with little effort. Sampras could probably do it blindfolded.

TennisGuy

Jun 27, 2015, 4:20:41 PM6/27/15
On 6/27/2015 4:01 PM, Ulysses wrote:

>>> What will the score be folks?
>>>
>>> I say Federer wins 6-0, 6-1, 6-0 (he will likely get bored and lose
>>> concentration somewhere in the second set).
>>
>> If Sampy played Serena she would win 6-4,6-3!!!!!
>
> I can't believe people still think any woman player would beat a male professional. Fed would destroy Serena love and love and he wouldn't even have to be in first gear.
>
> McEnroe at age 56 would beat her 6-1, 6-2, and that's being charitable. I just was watching a Mac-Sampras exo last night on TV. Mac still can return Pete's 135 MPH bombs down the T. So let no one suggest Mac couldn't get back Serena's serve.
>
> In addition, Serena couldn't return any of the men's serves. Don't you remember years ago when that journeyman Karsten Braasch played both Williams sisters and I think they both got 3 games between themselves.
>
> As for current Sampras, he would DESTROY Serena. She couldn't get her racket on most of his second serves... that score would be 6-1, 6-0.

One reason for the post was because Serena is often described as being
gorilla-like, kind of like it's unfair for her to be competing against
the rest of the women on the WTA.

So I thought, OK let's pair her up with the big boy on the mens' side
and see how great she really is.

I agree about what would happen if even Sampras played her today.

Sampras/Fed whoever, would exploit her relative slowness side-to-side
and jerk her back and forth her until she wouldn't know if she was
coming or going. :)

Truthfully, I don't think she would even allow Federer the satisfaction
of beating her. She would most likely retire after a few games due to
some 'injury' that would come up out of nowhere. :)

heyg...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2015, 6:28:22 PM6/27/15
On Saturday, June 27, 2015 at 4:19:55 PM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:
> On Saturday, June 27, 2015 at 1:01:20 PM UTC-7, Ulysses wrote:
>
> > I can't believe people still think any woman player would beat a male professional. Fed would destroy Serena love and love and he wouldn't even have to be in first gear.
>
> > McEnroe at age 56 would beat her 6-1, 6-2, and that's being charitable. I just was watching a Mac-Sampras exo last night on TV. Mac still can return Pete's 135 MPH bombs down the T. So let no one suggest Mac couldn't get back Serena's serve.
> >
> > In addition, Serena couldn't return any of the men's serves. Don't you remember years ago when that journeyman Karsten Braasch played both Williams sisters and I think they both got 3 games between themselves.
> >

> And remember what Braasch said afterward...that most of the time he was taking a lot off his serve to keep things fun. When asked what he thought the Williams' chances were against male pros, he said something like, "Anyone in the top 500, no way...because I was playing like number 600 today." Serena in typical style said that in a year, she'd beat him. But notice no rematch was ever requested.

I say props to Serena that she even thought it was possible and had the brashness to do it. Blind confidence can be a big plus in sports. You figure if she thinks she can hang with a male pro at 17 she's going to have no fear of anyone on the WTA tour. If Evert had more of that attitude she might have won more slam finals against Martina.

Gracchus

Jun 27, 2015, 8:04:28 PM6/27/15
I agree that there's a lot to be said for thinking positive and setting ever-higher standards for yourself. It's certainly gotten Serena far. Just the same, it has to be balanced with realism, which I think she realizes herself now. When someone suggested a match against Murray last year, she said he'd probably beat her 6-0, 6-0. There's nothing to be gained by going out there and getting flattened by an male pro, and definite loss of face if a retired one does it.

Whisper

Jun 27, 2015, 9:48:16 PM6/27/15
Not if he gets Henin to coach him up.

Whisper

Jun 27, 2015, 9:54:55 PM6/27/15
Yes, this is the average quality of tennis analyst we have in rst.

Whisper

Jun 27, 2015, 9:58:04 PM6/27/15
True, but this doesn't always mean women's tennis/sport is inferior to
men's. I often prefer women's tennis/golf to men, depending who's playing.

Whisper

Jun 27, 2015, 10:00:23 PM6/27/15
The women aren't that dumb. They would never entertain playing any of
these guys up to age 60. You'd probably need a former top 20 pro who's
about 60 today & 20 kg overweight to make it kinda interesting v peak
Serena.

Gracchus

Jun 27, 2015, 11:18:59 PM6/27/15
I don't believe it's inferior either. Women's matches can be more interesting stylistically and strategically to watching a couple of unimaginative male bashers trying to outbludgeon each other. Only saying that people who talk about female players having a realistic chance against men at a professional level are dreaming.

Gracchus

Jun 27, 2015, 11:30:42 PM6/27/15
On Saturday, June 27, 2015 at 7:00:23 PM UTC-7, Whisper wrote:

> The women aren't that dumb. They would never entertain playing any of
> these guys up to age 60. You'd probably need a former top 20 pro who's
> about 60 today & 20 kg overweight to make it kinda interesting v peak
> Serena.

Somebody like Steve Denton maybe. :)

Rodjk #613

Jun 27, 2015, 11:40:39 PM6/27/15
After she won Wimbledon, Sharapova went back to Florida and lost to a 17 yr old boy on her high school team.

Rodjk #613

heyg...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2015, 12:48:00 AM6/28/15
How about we take the weight of Serena's boobs and butt and put the equivalent in ankle weights on Sampras or Mac. Seems like a fair equalizer. How would she do then? :-)

Whisper

Jun 28, 2015, 4:55:15 AM6/28/15
True.

Whisper

Jun 28, 2015, 4:56:26 AM6/28/15
Sure. those kind of matches would be interesting to watch, & Serena may
well pummel some fat, past it 60 yr old 62 62. It would be worth watching.

The Iceberg

Jun 29, 2015, 5:38:51 AM6/29/15
The Karsten match is a pretty rubbish measure, as the Williams' were only teenagers at the time, not seasoned pros. Serena'd have no chance vs any guy in the top 300, Fed/Sampras would be pointless, but would be fun to see how she'd fair against someone below that. In mixed doubles a lot of the guys don't deal with her serve well.

The Iceberg

Jun 29, 2015, 5:39:33 AM6/29/15
yeah when she was 17, hardly a seasoned Serena.

Rodjk #613

Jun 29, 2015, 5:51:32 AM6/29/15
What does Serena have to do with this?

The point is, I was talking about the (then) recent Wimbledon champion.

Lets face it, any woman pro would have a tough time with a decent male NCAA player.

Rodjk #613

bob

Jun 30, 2015, 10:42:17 AM6/30/15
On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 11:58:03 +1000, Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com>
wrote:
both women's and men's golf are very interesting atm.

bob

bob

Jun 30, 2015, 10:44:29 AM6/30/15
in HS i played our girls #1 singles player left handed, kind of a
promotional match that other students came out and watched as tennis
was new to our school.

i believe she won, and i believe i let her win - if you saw her you'd
see why. ivanovic had nuthin on her.

bob

bob

Jun 30, 2015, 10:46:18 AM6/30/15
On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 14:13:38 -0400, TennisGuy <Goog...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>The match of the century is all set up.
>Two titans in the sport of tennis.
>The 33-year-olds will battle it out on Center Court at Wimbledon.
>To be gentlemanly, Federer has decided to give Serena an advantage in
>the format.
>It will be best of three if Serena can win with that, or best of five if
>she finds she's down 0-2 or 1-2 and needs more time.
>What will the score be folks?

lopsided for fed, but her biceps and quads are perhaps 2x feds...throw
them in the octogon and i might differ..

bob

Guypers

Jun 30, 2015, 11:31:06 AM6/30/15
http://youtu.be/Wlz6mTyiMZc

Bob - Jeannie song for you

jdeluise

Jun 30, 2015, 11:52:09 AM6/30/15
bob <b...@nospam.net> writes:

> throw them in the octogon and i might differ..

How about Mac in the octagon with Serena?

John Slade

Jun 30, 2015, 1:07:34 PM6/30/15
I don't think McEnroe would have a chance. He's too old
and slow.

John

Ulysses

Jun 30, 2015, 1:28:37 PM6/30/15
"I don't think McEnroe would have a chance. He's too old
and slow."

ROTFL. Have you seen him play recently? He's in great shape and doesn't NEED to be fast to beat Serena. She's not returning his serve and he would effortlessly return her serve. Once more with emphasis: Mac would destroy her. Anyone who thinks differently either doesn't play tennis or watch tennis.

Does Serena have any experience dealing with arguably the greatest volleyer ever to play the game? He would chip and charge everything, blanket the net and he still has exquisite hands and touch up there. Serena would get 2 games, tops.

It's incomprehensible anybody thinks Serena would beat ANY current male or McEnroe. Hell, someone like Joachim Nystrom would annihilate her. She couldn't beat any current guy in the top 500!

heyg...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2015, 1:51:14 PM6/30/15
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 1:28:37 PM UTC-4, Ulysses wrote:
> "On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 8:52:09 AM UTC-7, jdeluise wrote:
> > bob <b...@nospam.net> writes:
> >
> > > throw them in the octogon and i might differ..
> > >

> > How about Mac in the octagon with Serena?
>
> "I don't think McEnroe would have a chance. He's too old
> and slow."
>
> ROTFL. Have you seen him play recently? He's in great shape and doesn't NEED to be fast to beat Serena. She's not returning his serve and he would effortlessly return her serve.

You really sure he would *effortlessly* return her serve? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NACXLBczcS0

Patrick Kehoe

Jun 30, 2015, 7:43:35 PM6/30/15
On Saturday, June 27, 2015 at 9:48:00 PM UTC-7, heyg...@gmail.com wrote:
> How about we take the weight of Serena's boobs and butt and put the equivalent in ankle weights on Sampras or Mac. Seems like a fair equalizer. How would she do then? :-)

Trying for the "Ben Wright" award this year, are we Drew?

:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Ulysses

Jun 30, 2015, 9:09:25 PM6/30/15
Have you seen McEnroe play recently? Either in person or on TV. An effortless refutation to your theory is this: John McEnroe routinely returns the serves of Sampras and Flipper in exo's. Care to compare their deliveries to Serena?

What is your projected scoreline in a Serena-Mac match? I don't care what service you choose, it's 1 and 1 for Mac.

Ulysses

Jun 30, 2015, 9:10:27 PM6/30/15
Oops.. meant "surface," not "service."

heyg...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2015, 11:00:50 PM6/30/15
Oh sure Mac would win. But if Serena can ace Djokovic twice in a row she can do the same to Mac.
Message has been deleted

Darkfalz

Jul 2, 2015, 10:33:54 AM7/2/15
On Sunday, June 28, 2015 at 1:18:59 PM UTC+10, Gracchus wrote:
> On Saturday, June 27, 2015 at 6:58:04 PM UTC-7, Whisper wrote:
> > On 28/06/2015 6:19 AM, Gracchus wrote:
>
> > > So yes, even a fossilized McEnroe would take Serena apart with little effort. Sampras could probably do it blindfolded.
>
> > True, but this doesn't always mean women's tennis/sport is inferior to
> > men's. I often prefer women's tennis/golf to men, depending who's playing.
>
> I don't believe it's inferior either. Women's matches can be more interesting stylistically and strategically to watching a couple of unimaginative male bashers trying to outbludgeon each other.

That was true before the Williams era. Now the women's game is just the men's at 75% speed and less variety.

newguy...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2015, 11:22:29 AM7/2/15
I agree.

Ulysses

Jul 2, 2015, 1:07:59 PM7/2/15
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 8:00:50 PM UTC-7, heyg...@gmail.com wrote:
> Oh sure Mac would win. But if Serena can ace Djokovic twice in a row she can do the same to Mac.

I never argued Serena couldn't get an occasional ace against Mac. So what? Obviously you could take Bartoli out of retirement and she could probably ace Fed or Rafa twice a match (when they're blinking, looking away or just sheer luck).

But Serena is not winning any match against John McEnroe. McEnroe routinely plays Flipper, Pete and Roddick on the senior tour and acquits himself very well against far younger guys than him. Obviously Roddick is going second gear in their matches, but if Mac plays Roddick 3-6 in matches, the scoreline with Serena would be breadstick followed by breadstick.

heyg...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2015, 1:22:12 PM7/2/15
I was disputing that he would "effortlessly" return her serve. That's just silly.

Gracchus

Jul 2, 2015, 1:35:49 PM7/2/15
On Thursday, July 2, 2015 at 10:22:12 AM UTC-7, heyg...@gmail.com wrote:
> I was disputing that he would "effortlessly" return her serve. That's just silly.

If he routinely handles serves from hard-serving male pros, then returning a hard-serving female pro's serve would be *relatively* effortless. I don't think anyone is saying he'd tee off on them for winners, but he wouldn't be troubled like a WTA opponent would. And her second serve he probably would gobble up like Jello.