John McEnroe v Ivan Lendl through 1984

Carey

May 3, 2017, 10:09:41 AM5/3/17

Their H2h through 1984, Mac's best year: 3-3.

*skriptis

May 3, 2017, 11:01:03 AM5/3/17
Carey <carey...@yahoo.com> Wrote in message:

> Their H2h through 1984, Mac's best year: 3-3.

Djokovic-Federer h2h in 2015.
4-3

Federer-Nadal in 2006
2-4

So it's true. Another proof Djokovic is boat. Unlike other greats
such as McEnroe or Federer who didn't dominate both tour and
their rivals in their peak year, djokovic has done it.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

RaspingDrive

May 3, 2017, 12:39:08 PM5/3/17
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 11:01:03 AM UTC-4, *skriptis wrote:
> Carey <carey...@yahoo.com> Wrote in message:
> >
> > Their H2h through 1984, Mac's best year: 3-3.
> >

> Djokovic-Federer h2h in 2015.
> 4-3

Reasonable. Djok was at peak and should have the upper hand.

> Federer-Nadal in 2006
> 2-4

Bad for Federer in his peak year. But we always knew that Nadal owned Federer until 2016.

> So it's true. Another proof Djokovic is boat. Unlike other greats
> such as McEnroe or Federer who didn't dominate both tour and
> their rivals in their peak year, djokovic has done it.

What rivals? Federer at 34 is a rival? He dominated a distracted Murray. Having said that Djok is a potential GOAT contender. Respect for his achievement.

Whisper

May 4, 2017, 6:06:50 AM5/4/17
On 4/05/2017 12:09 AM, Carey wrote:

> Their H2h through 1984, Mac's best year: 3-3.

Remarkable, given Mac lost 2 matches all yr.

Whisper

May 4, 2017, 6:09:12 AM5/4/17
On 4/05/2017 12:39 AM, *skriptis wrote:
> Carey <carey...@yahoo.com> Wrote in message:
>>
>> Their H2h through 1984, Mac's best year: 3-3.
>>

> Djokovic-Federer h2h in 2015.
> 4-3
>

> Federer-Nadal in 2006
> 2-4
>

> So it's true. Another proof Djokovic is boat. Unlike other greats
> such as McEnroe or Federer who didn't dominate both tour and
> their rivals in their peak year, djokovic has done it.

McEnroe completed dominated Lendl through 1984, winning 10 out of 12
matches. The 2 losses were fluky eg '84 FO final from 36 26 down. Don't
listen to trolls/fake news in rst.

*skriptis

May 4, 2017, 8:01:03 AM5/4/17
Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com> Wrote in message:
lol tnx.
Shame on me

John Liang

May 4, 2017, 8:23:01 AM5/4/17
So he dominated Lendl for just 1 year, other than that streak he was completely dominated by Lendl 19:5.

Patrick Kehoe

May 4, 2017, 11:28:54 AM5/4/17
Anyone who saw this decade of tennis knows that, career wise, Lendl just out lasted him; his physicality wore him down... He was next gen fitness level and began to dominate JM mentally... he started to bully him around the court which is part of the emotional resentment that McEnroe felt for decades afterwards...

soccerfan777

May 4, 2017, 11:40:38 AM5/4/17
I am just wondering if there is any possibility that someone likes both Lendl and McEnroe. I might be the only one it seems.

Lendl had McEnroe's number in 1981 and 1982. The reversal happened in 1983 and 1984. And then Lendl came back in 1985. McEnroe was no longer the same once he made the fatal mistake of semi-retitrment in 1986. He was a top player from 1979 to 1985 though. He was excellent in 1982 and 1985 even though he did not win slams.

Whisper

May 4, 2017, 1:07:31 PM5/4/17
Every tennis analyst I've read has McEnroe well above Lendl. Even Lendl
himself admitted he was way behind Mac, Borg & Connors.

Rst is a sheltered workshop.

--
"A GOAT who isn't BOAT can never become GOAT if he plays alongside BOAT"

Whisper

May 4, 2017, 1:08:46 PM5/4/17
On 5/05/2017 1:40 AM, soccerfan777 wrote:
> I am just wondering if there is any possibility that someone likes both Lendl and McEnroe. I might be the only one it seems.
>
> Lendl had McEnroe's number in 1981 and 1982. The reversal happened in 1983 and 1984. And then Lendl came back in 1985. McEnroe was no longer the same once he made the fatal mistake of semi-retitrment in 1986. He was a top player from 1979 to 1985 though. He was excellent in 1982 and 1985 even though he did not win slams.

McEnroe is my all time fave & the reason I got into tennis. I also like
Lendl, but he's well down the list.

soccerfan777

May 4, 2017, 1:11:49 PM5/4/17
No you dont.

soccerfan777

May 4, 2017, 1:14:24 PM5/4/17
On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 12:07:31 PM UTC-5, Whisper wrote:
> On 5/05/2017 1:28 AM, Patrick Kehoe wrote:

> >> So he dominated Lendl for just 1 year, other than that streak he was completely dominated by Lendl 19:5.
> >
> > Anyone who saw this decade of tennis knows that, career wise, Lendl just out lasted him; his physicality wore him down... He was next gen fitness level and began to dominate JM mentally... he started to bully him around the court which is part of the emotional resentment that McEnroe felt for decades afterwards...

> Every tennis analyst I've read has McEnroe well above Lendl.
Links?

> Even Lendl
> himself admitted he was way behind Mac, Borg & Connors.
>
> Rst is a sheltered workshop.

I have found one list where Lendl is higher.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/tennis/10-best-men-s-tennis-players-of-all-time-1.10786667

soccerfan777

May 4, 2017, 1:20:33 PM5/4/17
On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 12:07:31 PM UTC-5, Whisper wrote:
> On 5/05/2017 1:28 AM, Patrick Kehoe wrote:

> >> So he dominated Lendl for just 1 year, other than that streak he was completely dominated by Lendl 19:5.
> >
> > Anyone who saw this decade of tennis knows that, career wise, Lendl just out lasted him; his physicality wore him down... He was next gen fitness level and began to dominate JM mentally... he started to bully him around the court which is part of the emotional resentment that McEnroe felt for decades afterwards...

> Every tennis analyst I've read has McEnroe well above Lendl.

Another one.
http://www.amiannoying.com/(S(vmb1wlme3zaolzzjx42yc0nf))/collection.aspx?collection=6276

Carey

May 4, 2017, 2:56:17 PM5/4/17
John McEnroe and Ivan Lendl head to head, according to the ATP:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/players/fedex-head-2-head/ivan-lendl-vs-john-mcenroe/L018/M047

soccerfan777

May 4, 2017, 3:25:50 PM5/4/17
On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 5:09:12 AM UTC-5, Whisper wrote:
> On 4/05/2017 12:39 AM, *skriptis wrote:
> > Carey <carey...@yahoo.com> Wrote in message:
> >>
> >> Their H2h through 1984, Mac's best year: 3-3.
> >>

> > Djokovic-Federer h2h in 2015.
> > 4-3
> >

> > Federer-Nadal in 2006
> > 2-4
> >

> > So it's true. Another proof Djokovic is boat. Unlike other greats
> > such as McEnroe or Federer who didn't dominate both tour and
> > their rivals in their peak year, djokovic has done it.
> >

> McEnroe completed dominated Lendl through 1984, winning 10 out of 12
> matches.

Since when tune ups matter to you??? Lendl and McEnroe were 1-1 in slams in 1984.

> The 2 losses were fluky eg '84 FO final from 36 26 down.

LOL yeah... all his losses are fluky. So were Sampras'. He Sampras fluke all his slam losses to Edberg?

stephenJ

May 4, 2017, 4:54:23 PM5/4/17
On 5/4/2017 10:40 AM, soccerfan777 wrote:
> I am just wondering if there is any possibility that someone likes both Lendl and McEnroe. I might be the only one it seems.
>
> Lendl had McEnroe's number in 1981 and 1982. The reversal happened in 1983 and 1984. And then Lendl came back in 1985. McEnroe was no longer the same once he made the fatal mistake of semi-retitrment in 1986. He was a top player from 1979 to 1985 though. He was excellent in 1982 and 1985 even though he did not win slams.

That's actually a pretty accurate description of how things happened.

---

soccerfan777

May 4, 2017, 6:23:07 PM5/4/17
On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 3:54:23 PM UTC-5, StephenJ wrote:
> On 5/4/2017 10:40 AM, soccerfan777 wrote:
> > I am just wondering if there is any possibility that someone likes both Lendl and McEnroe. I might be the only one it seems.
> >
> > Lendl had McEnroe's number in 1981 and 1982. The reversal happened in 1983 and 1984. And then Lendl came back in 1985. McEnroe was no longer the same once he made the fatal mistake of semi-retitrment in 1986. He was a top player from 1979 to 1985 though. He was excellent in 1982 and 1985 even though he did not win slams.
> >

> That's actually a pretty accurate description of how things happened.

Thanks.

John Liang

May 4, 2017, 10:33:23 PM5/4/17
Then again Mac claim to have more talent in his little pinky than Lendl's whole body, that really did not reflect in their achievements on court. Lendl was way behind Borg but not far away from Mac and Connors.

TennisGuy

May 5, 2017, 12:37:14 AM5/5/17
On 5/4/2017 11:40 AM, soccerfan777 wrote:
> I am just wondering if there is any possibility that someone likes
> both Lendl and McEnroe. I might be the only one it seems.

I was quite the Lendl fan in his time.
I also liked McEnroe's game but HATED his personality.
What an obnoxious, boorish twit.

The Iceberg

May 5, 2017, 2:59:21 AM5/5/17
so he was behind them then. Everyone knows it's because of Mac's amazing year and because of Wimbledon - that's why Raja hates Pat Cash.

soccerfan777

May 5, 2017, 7:31:22 AM5/5/17
I hate Pat Cash because he is a well known cunt. He was a great player when on fire

Whisper

May 5, 2017, 10:14:43 AM5/5/17
On 5/05/2017 4:56 AM, Carey wrote:
> John McEnroe and Ivan Lendl head to head, according to the ATP:
>
> http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/players/fedex-head-2-head/ivan-lendl-vs-john-mcenroe/L018/M047

You didn't post Fed v Rafa stats?

The Iceberg

May 6, 2017, 6:23:03 AM5/6/17
it's cos anybody who watched Mac play can see the talent, there's been no one like him since.

stephenJ

May 6, 2017, 9:07:58 AM5/6/17
> On 5/6/2017 5:23 AM, The Iceberg wrote:

> it's cos anybody who watched Mac play can see the talent ...

Yes, I agree, even though personally as a player I identify far more
with Lendl. At my piddling level, like Lendl, I managed to win far more
matches than my natural talent would indicate. I have very little
natural tennis ability, but the last time I played a season of USTA
tennis, I won about 90% of my matches and the USTA tried to promote my
rating for the next year, which was laughable because probably 95% of
the guys I beat were clearly more talented and skilled. I just had
non-tennis attributes in my corner, namely a Connors/Hewitt bulldog
tenacity and desire to win, and at middle-age a still-fit 6'2", 215
pound body with broad shoulders and long arms that can generate a lot of
power on a shot when I want/need it, and an approximate 160 IQ that
allows me to usually outsmart the other guy.

But as far as natural tennis ability, I'm a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10. Mac
was an 11+.

Federer Fanatic

May 6, 2017, 12:44:38 PM5/6/17
So you should be banned from picking up a tennis racquet?;-)

FF