David Cup - Belgian Strategy against Spain

1 view

Vari L. Cinicke

Feb 28, 2011, 6:24:18 PM2/28/11
What do you do when your top player is a 30 year old ranked outside the
Top 50 and you 2nd singles player is ranked outside the Top 100 and is
losing 2 and 2 in Challenger level events?

Go and have fun!

Here is the transcript from a secret Nadal interview:

I am barely getting any sleep.

I gonna have a difficult match against Malisse or O. Rochus because they
playing at home, no? If they are in Davis Cup at home, is because they
are gonna play very well. And, you know, I don't want to think about the
win. Not yet.

--
Cheers,

vc

Superdave

Feb 28, 2011, 10:09:09 PM2/28/11

maybe he will get bit by a mosquito and develop sleeping sickness as his next excuse?

Iceberg

Mar 1, 2011, 4:50:01 AM3/1/11

heheh

Javier González

Mar 1, 2011, 7:58:42 AM3/1/11
On Feb 28, 8:24 pm, "Vari L. Cinicke" <variesn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What do you do when your top player is a 30 year old ranked outside the
> Top 50 and you 2nd singles player is ranked outside the Top 100 and is
> losing 2 and 2 in Challenger level events?
>
> Go and have fun!

Sounds suspiciously like the Chilean strategy for hosting the USA.

Vari L. Cinicke

Mar 1, 2011, 8:32:41 AM3/1/11

I guess so. But they can hope that the red clay will even things up a
bit in terms of potential clay only rankings. This might just be
Capped-devil's breakout party! :)

Unfortunately, even the allegedly very fast indoor HC is unlikely to do
anything for the Belgians. Didn't Spain beat Argentina at home on a fast
HC surface in a DC final not so long ago?

--
Cheers,

vc

Javier González

Mar 1, 2011, 10:28:09 AM3/1/11
On Mar 1, 10:32 am, "Vari L. Cinicke" <variesn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/1/2011 7:58 AM, Javier Gonz lez wrote:
>
> > On Feb 28, 8:24 pm, "Vari L. Cinicke"<variesn...@gmail.com>  wrote:
> >> What do you do when your top player is a 30 year old ranked outside the
> >> Top 50 and you 2nd singles player is ranked outside the Top 100 and is
> >> losing 2 and 2 in Challenger level events?
>
> >> Go and have fun!
>
> > Sounds suspiciously like the Chilean strategy for hosting the USA.
>
> I guess so. But they can hope that the red clay will even things up a
> bit in terms of potential clay only rankings. This might just be
> Capped-devil's breakout party! :)

Not holding my breath. Roddick has probably lost more matches this
year than the whole chilean team has played on a main ATP draw this
year.

> Unfortunately, even the allegedly very fast indoor HC is unlikely to do
> anything for the Belgians. Didn't Spain beat Argentina at home on a fast
> HC surface in a DC final not so long ago?

Belgium is toast. Verdasco, Ferrer and Lopez are perfectly capable of
wiping the floor with them on any surface on current forms. And that's
before adding Nadal to the mix.

GOYLE

Mar 1, 2011, 2:40:18 PM3/1/11

Don't be so sure. I'm not sure Nadal is ready to play yet. I would
take a guess Nadal doesn't play considering he hasn't recovered from
his injuries. It seems he may not be ready before the clay court
season.

TT

Mar 1, 2011, 6:14:29 PM3/1/11
What's a David Cup?

GOYLE

Mar 1, 2011, 7:33:12 PM3/1/11
On Mar 1, 5:14 pm, TT <d...@do.it> wrote:
> What's a David Cup?

A typing error

Superdave

Mar 1, 2011, 7:43:35 PM3/1/11

DavidW in drag.

ocean

Mar 1, 2011, 8:50:55 PM3/1/11
On 1 mar, 22:43, Superdave <the.big.rst.kah...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 16:33:12 -0800 (PST), GOYLE <jameshollowa...@aol.com> wrote:
> >On Mar 1, 5:14 pm, TT <d...@do.it> wrote:
> >> What's a David Cup?
>
> >A typing error
>
> DavidW in drag.

Why is Nadal playing DC?

ocean

Mar 1, 2011, 8:53:28 PM3/1/11
On 1 mar, 17:40, GOYLE <jameshollowa...@aol.com> wrote:

>It seems he may not be ready before the clay court season.

He never is. Except for the *strange 2009 season* when he peaked in
Jan-April! Those are not the months he usually peaks which are April-
July.

jdeluise

Mar 1, 2011, 8:55:08 PM3/1/11

Because it's far and away the most prestigious title in tennis per TT.

number_six

Mar 1, 2011, 9:50:36 PM3/1/11
On Mar 1, 3:14 pm, TT <d...@do.it> wrote:
> What's a David Cup?

In 2009, Israel was in the semis, so we nearly found out!

number_six

Mar 5, 2011, 1:25:41 PM3/5/11

It's hard to strategize when you are sending Bemelmans out there
against Nadal!

TT

Mar 6, 2011, 2:07:18 AM3/6/11

Yeah, it'd take at least Djoker to have a chance for a set.