Japan and EU say "Up yours"

Pelle Svanslos

Jul 7, 2017, 4:02:42 AM7/7/17
Leaders from Japan and the European Union on Thursday announced their
agreement on the broad strokes of a trade deal that will cover nearly 30
percent of the global economy, 10 percent of the world's population and
40 percent of global trade.

If the nations agree to the terms, the deal will create a trading bloc
roughly the same size as that established by the North American Free
Trade Agreement, a 1994 deal between the United States, Mexico and Canada.

Coming on the eve of the Group of 20 meeting of global leaders in
Hamburg, the announcement appeared to be a calculated rebuke of both the
United States, which has spurned global trade agreements in favor of
more protectionist policies under President Trump, and Britain, which
voted to leave the European Union last year.

“Japan and the European Union will hoist the flag of free trade high
amidst protectionist trends,” Abe said in a news conference Thursday.

The pact would be a heavy blow to American producers of these goods, by
making U.S.-made goods relatively more expensive and less competitive in
the major markets of Japan and Europe.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/07/06/europe-and-japan-announce-trade-deal-to-rival-nafta/?utm_term=.138b6abe17c2

Much better to let the racquet do the talking.

The Iceberg

Jul 7, 2017, 5:06:53 AM7/7/17
LOL how many years is that going to take to sort out? Canada's EU deal took over 7 years and then didn't even happen LOL

The Iceberg

Jul 7, 2017, 5:07:05 AM7/7/17
On Friday, 7 July 2017 09:02:42 UTC+1, Pelle Svanslos wrote:
Washington Post LOL

TT

Jul 7, 2017, 5:08:03 AM7/7/17
Make America great again.

TT

Jul 7, 2017, 5:24:39 AM7/7/17
You think the reporting was not accurate?

The Iceberg

Jul 7, 2017, 5:39:46 AM7/7/17
no I think it's biased by Remoaners and Hillary fans, most Washington Post stuff is.

TT

Jul 7, 2017, 6:07:18 AM7/7/17
How was that article biased?

The Iceberg

Jul 7, 2017, 9:39:30 AM7/7/17
it reports only from one side - the Remoan/pro-Hillary side - 'broad stokes' aka "if, woulda, could" stuff everyone knows won't happen in reality + says it "appeared" to (surprise surprise) diss Trump. No mention of any opposing/contradicting/balanced view. The real proof though is Pelle posted it, I mean, come on, we all know he's very anti-Trump and voted Remoan - he only ever posts anti-Brexit/anti-Trump stuff, which is fine, but it's means this is hardly likely a neutral piece.

Brian W Lawrence

Jul 7, 2017, 12:39:54 PM7/7/17
On 07/07/2017 10:06, The Iceberg wrote:

>> https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/07/06/europe-and-japan-announce-trade-deal-to-rival-nafta/?utm_term=.138b6abe17c2

> LOL how many years is that going to take to sort out? Canada's EU deal took over 7 years and then didn't even happen LOL

This deal has been discussed for 4 years already, the announcement
indicates it's in the final stages.

The Canada-EU deal was passed by the EU parliament in February, it
needs to be approved by all 28 national parliaments before it is
fully effective, but when any of the 28 agree to the terms they
can commence bilateral trade with Canada immediately.

http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/in-focus/ceta/

The EU & S Korea agreed a trade deal in 4 years - 2007-11.

---