Let this be a lesson to everyone...

TT

Jan 27, 2015, 12:43:08 AM1/27/15
...NOBODY beats Tomas Berdych 18 times in a row.

Well done Bird!

ahonkan

Jan 27, 2015, 1:01:50 AM1/27/15
On Tuesday, 27 January 2015 11:13:08 UTC+5:30, TT wrote:
> ...NOBODY beats Tomas Berdych 18 times in a row.
>
> Well done Bird!

So what injury was it this time?
Have you worked it out with his medical team? :-)

Gracchus

Jan 27, 2015, 1:03:27 AM1/27/15
A doctor's announcement is coming soon. Count on it. I'm guessing either another "tweaked" back or the old Wimbledon foot fracture flaring up again.

Court_1

Jan 27, 2015, 1:04:38 AM1/27/15
When I tuned it my commentators were talking about a possible hamstring problem?

LOL. It never ends.

ahonkan

Jan 27, 2015, 1:13:12 AM1/27/15
I blame the commentators. I predict that the media will keep goading
Rafa to talk about a non-existent injury in his presser and any answer
by Rafa will be spun into a full-fledged injury story.

Court_1

Jan 27, 2015, 1:16:47 AM1/27/15
He doesn't need to be goaded into it. Nadal and Toni will eventually talk about some "lingering injury." NID.

TT

Jan 27, 2015, 1:16:54 AM1/27/15
No, press won't make that up unless Rafa told he was injured. But I
don't think he was.

PeteWasLucky

Jan 27, 2015, 2:07:12 AM1/27/15
C'mon nadal has to be injured.
No way.

ahonkan

Jan 27, 2015, 4:56:49 AM1/27/15
This is why I blame the journos more than Rafa about inventing injuries
for Rafa. Here are the questions asked to Rafa after losing to Berdych:

Q. Were you feeling at all unwell or unfit today?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. I am feeling okay. Just was not my day. I didn't play with the right intensity, with the right rhythm, and the opponent played better than me. In sport, when you are going to play against an opponent, was a day that the opponent played better than me.

Q. The TV showed you taking a pill at some stage early in the third.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, happened nothing. I am feeling well. That's it. That's part of the things that happen sometimes during the matches, but nothing important to say.

Here Rafa is partly to blame for suggesting "nothing important to say"
to hint that there was something wrong with him upon being goaded.

Fednatic

Jan 27, 2015, 9:43:35 AM1/27/15
he has to be injured because he LOST !

horsen...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2015, 10:29:20 AM1/27/15
On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 4:56:49 AM UTC-5, ahonkan wrote:

> Here Rafa is partly to blame for suggesting "nothing important to say"
> to hint that there was something wrong with him upon being goaded.

He's almost 29. He's got a closet full of old injuries to draw upon when necessary.

But I think he's starting to feel the reality of approaching 30. You push on the gas and sometimes the body just stalls. I think Rafa's done amazingly well to get this far. I was surprised when he came back in 2013 to win 2 majors. But I think that was the last big push. He's hit the wall.

guypers

Jan 27, 2015, 11:45:35 AM1/27/15
If he loses at the FO, will skip W and US open and call it a day??

horsen...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2015, 12:06:33 PM1/27/15
A FO loss would destroy any confidence Rafa might have that he can bring his game back to where it was. We've all seen the way he misses more than he used to and how the focus seems to wander in matches, the intensity up and down and the consistency between matches varying widely. All of this happens as a player gets older. I don't think he's seeing it as any more than coming back off of injury but it's clearly more than this. Remember that none of the players have had much tennis other than practice since November so it isn't as if he arrived with so much less than everybody else. He should have come back with high energy at the very least. Even that was missing.

The great Rafa is getting old and he doesn't have a game that ages well.

Fednatic

Jan 27, 2015, 9:39:39 PM1/27/15
On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 08:45:33 -0800 (PST), guypers <gap...@gmail.com>
yup. that's what i think.

Gracchus

Jan 27, 2015, 9:44:26 PM1/27/15
On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 9:06:33 AM UTC-8, horsen...@gmail.com wrote:

> The great Rafa is getting old and he doesn't have a game that ages well.

Infusing his body with God-knows-what chemicals from age 16 doesn't help longevity either.