OT: Leonardo DiCaprio to play Teddy Roosevelt in Scorsese film

Gracchus

Sep 27, 2017, 12:22:39 PM9/27/17
If you thought the multifaceted DiCaprio couldn't top his performances as Howard Hughes and J. Edgar Hoover, this one might do it! Can't you just picture him leading the Rough Riders and Bull Moose Party? Give him a pair of glasses and some muttonchops, and Leo's unparalleled acting skills will do the rest. Can't wait!

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/leonardo-dicaprio-martin-scorsese-teddy-roosevelt-movie-1202573721/

Court_1

Sep 27, 2017, 12:23:56 PM9/27/17
On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 12:22:39 PM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:
> If you thought the multifaceted DiCaprio couldn't top his performances as Howard Hughes and J. Edgar Hoover, this one might do it! Can't you just picture him leading the Rough Riders and Bull Moose Party? Give him a pair of glasses and some muttonchops, and Leo's unparalleled acting skills will do the rest. Can't wait!
>

> http://variety.com/2017/film/news/leonardo-dicaprio-martin-scorsese-teddy-roosevelt-movie-1202573721/

I just posted about this pairing in the film thread.

Gracchus

Sep 27, 2017, 12:26:09 PM9/27/17
Oops, didn't see that. Great minds think alike. :) Still, news like this really deserves its own thread.

Court_1

Sep 27, 2017, 12:30:11 PM9/27/17
😭

Carey

Sep 27, 2017, 1:06:50 PM9/27/17
On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 9:22:39 AM UTC-7, Gracchus wrote:
> If you thought the multifaceted DiCaprio couldn't top his performances as Howard Hughes and J. Edgar Hoover, this one might do it! Can't you just picture him leading the Rough Riders and Bull Moose Party? Give him a pair of glasses and some muttonchops, and Leo's unparalleled acting skills will do the rest. Can't wait!
>

> http://variety.com/2017/film/news/leonardo-dicaprio-martin-scorsese-teddy-roosevelt-movie-1202573721/

Who casts this guy (Dicrapio) in these roles, and WTF are they thinking?
Is this their way of condescending to the audience, i.e. "This guy is horrible,
and you're gonna *like* it."?

Gracchus

Sep 27, 2017, 1:17:20 PM9/27/17
Apparently they found a saleable formula and keep using it. Certainly all the savvy people that watch Leo film his scenes and who view the footage before release know his "acting" is a joke but they don't care. He's like all the crap reboots they make. It's safer to use something reliable than something good.

And that's okay when the films themselves are shit. It's only sad when the film would otherwise have been good and contains capable supporting actors. Either way, it's hard to respect the taste of the general public.

calim...@gmx.de

Sep 27, 2017, 1:24:42 PM9/27/17
On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 6:22:39 PM UTC+2, Gracchus wrote:
> If you thought the multifaceted DiCaprio couldn't top his performances as Howard Hughes and J. Edgar Hoover, this one might do it! Can't you just picture him leading the Rough Riders and Bull Moose Party? Give him a pair of glasses and some muttonchops, and Leo's unparalleled acting skills will do the rest. Can't wait!
>

> http://variety.com/2017/film/news/leonardo-dicaprio-martin-scorsese-teddy-roosevelt-movie-1202573721/

Can wait, easily.

Dicarpio, is that this climate change hypocrite?
Preaching water and drinking wine?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3605779/Eco-warrior-hypocrite-Leonardo-DiCaprio-jets-world-partying-preaching-global-warming-Title-goes-here.html

Max

soccerfan777

Sep 27, 2017, 2:19:15 PM9/27/17
Lol with that baby face? It won't work. Why not cast Paul McCartney as Ghengis Khan or Hitler?

Gracchus

Sep 27, 2017, 2:26:19 PM9/27/17
On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 11:19:15 AM UTC-7, soccerfan777 wrote:

> Lol with that baby face? It won't work. Why not cast Paul McCartney as Ghengis Khan or Hitler?

But Leo can knit his brow and scowl with the best of them. Credit where credit is due. Plus his big Gouda head is roughly the same size as T.R.'s.

soccerfan777

Sep 27, 2017, 4:05:50 PM9/27/17
May be T.R was a softie? ;-)

bob

Sep 27, 2017, 5:17:26 PM9/27/17
lol. while i don't think leo is any great actor, i do find him
likeable most of the time. do you dislike him or just his modest
talent?

bob

bob

Sep 27, 2017, 5:17:59 PM9/27/17
On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 10:06:48 -0700 (PDT), Carey <carey...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 9:22:39 AM UTC-7, Gracchus wrote:
>> If you thought the multifaceted DiCaprio couldn't top his performances as Howard Hughes and J. Edgar Hoover, this one might do it! Can't you just picture him leading the Rough Riders and Bull Moose Party? Give him a pair of glasses and some muttonchops, and Leo's unparalleled acting skills will do the rest. Can't wait!
>>

>> http://variety.com/2017/film/news/leonardo-dicaprio-martin-scorsese-teddy-roosevelt-movie-1202573721/
>

>Who casts this guy (Dicrapio) in these roles, and WTF are they thinking?

they're thinking $$$, not quality filming.

>Is this their way of condescending to the audience, i.e. "This guy is horrible,
>and you're gonna *like* it."?

bob

Gracchus

Sep 27, 2017, 5:27:28 PM9/27/17
Mainly the latter, though I think you're being charitable with "modest." I've never heard or observed anything to make me dislike him as a person. IMO his acting is utter crap but for some reason the industry loves him, overrates his abilities, and continues to cast him in A-list material he can't handle. Alongside genuinely skilled actors, he always comes off looking like a flyweight talent.

bob

Sep 27, 2017, 5:35:04 PM9/27/17
On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 14:27:25 -0700 (PDT), Gracchus
for starters, his appearance is just not leading man material. leading
*child* maybe.

bob

Gracchus

Sep 27, 2017, 5:42:55 PM9/27/17
This is part of the problem, yes. He started out as a kid actor and never stopped acting like an adolescent on-screen. Whenever he tries to be a tough guy or even "the man in charge" I can't help but laugh. He'll never have more than a Mickey Mouse presence.

soccerfan777

Sep 27, 2017, 5:46:16 PM9/27/17
I am the king of the world!!!!

jdeluise

Sep 27, 2017, 8:52:36 PM9/27/17
On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 10:06:48 -0700, Carey wrote:

> Who casts this guy (Dicrapio) in these roles, and WTF are they thinking?
> Is this their way of condescending to the audience, i.e. "This guy is
> horrible,
> and you're gonna *like* it."?

He'll play Mickey Rourke in a biopic one day most likely.

TT

Sep 28, 2017, 8:47:11 AM9/28/17
Gracchus kirjoitti 27.9.2017 klo 19:22:
> If you thought the multifaceted DiCaprio couldn't top his performances as Howard Hughes and J. Edgar Hoover, this one might do it! Can't you just picture him leading the Rough Riders and Bull Moose Party? Give him a pair of glasses and some muttonchops, and Leo's unparalleled acting skills will do the rest. Can't wait!
>

> http://variety.com/2017/film/news/leonardo-dicaprio-martin-scorsese-teddy-roosevelt-movie-1202573721/

I'm not very excited on seeing a film on Roosewelt. Well, maybe it'll be
an educating biopic... don't know much about Roosewelt really.

-

Meanwhile, I made another film list yesterday, ex tempore...

http://www.listchallenges.com/50-most-memorable-film-endings-of-all-time

I'm a bit bummed that I forgot to include "The Last American Virgin
(1982)" though... pretty much a film only worth seeing for its memorable
and strong ending.

TT

Sep 28, 2017, 9:19:11 AM9/28/17
TT kirjoitti 28.9.2017 klo 15:47:
> Gracchus kirjoitti 27.9.2017 klo 19:22:
>> If you thought the multifaceted DiCaprio couldn't top his performances
>> as Howard Hughes and J. Edgar Hoover, this one might do it! Can't you
>> just picture him leading the Rough Riders and Bull Moose Party? Give
>> him a pair of glasses and some muttonchops, and Leo's unparalleled
>> acting skills will do the rest. Can't wait!
>>

>> http://variety.com/2017/film/news/leonardo-dicaprio-martin-scorsese-teddy-roosevelt-movie-1202573721/
>>

> I'm not very excited on seeing a film on Roosewelt. Well, maybe it'll be
> an educating biopic... don't know much about Roosewelt really.

Speaking of biopics, watched SELMA (2014)... and found it totally
tedious and unnecessary film about Martin Luther King & civil rights
movement. As if someone wanted to see another film on black
movement/white guilt. And all they damn do is march and get beat. Acting
was pretty passionless as well, even from the lead afro.

MILK (2008) does the similar plot much better, probably having Sean Penn
in the lead helped.

Gave Selma a 4, Milk a 7.

Oh yes and also watched QUEEN OF KATWE (2016), which was a nice film and
gave it a 7 probably because of the authentic African atmosphere and
Lupita Nyongo.

Court_1

Sep 28, 2017, 9:56:57 AM9/28/17
On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 12:22:39 PM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:
> If you thought the multifaceted DiCaprio couldn't top his performances as Howard Hughes and J. Edgar Hoover, this one might do it! Can't you just picture him leading the Rough Riders and Bull Moose Party? Give him a pair of glasses and some muttonchops, and Leo's unparalleled acting skills will do the rest. Can't wait!
>

> http://variety.com/2017/film/news/leonardo-dicaprio-martin-scorsese-teddy-roosevelt-movie-1202573721/

Gracchus, it seems you're out of luck. Look at all of the projects DiCaprio has lined up including a movie about Leonardo Da Vinci:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/09/leonardo-dicaprio-scorsese-upcoming-films

Court_1

Sep 28, 2017, 10:01:49 AM9/28/17
You're missing so many movies with memorable endings IMO:

The Usual Suspects
Primal Fear
Seven
Psycho
Dial M for Murder
The Departed
Gone Girl
Gone Baby Gone
The Others
Saw
Jacob's Ladder
Carnival of Souls
Les Diaboliques
Dead Calm
Secret Window
Orphan
American Beauty
The Gift--the one with Jason Bateman
Side Effects
Body Heat
Incendies
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
The Silence of the Lambs
Changeling
Twelve Monkeys
The Secret in Their Eyes.

Court_1

Sep 28, 2017, 10:04:50 AM9/28/17
On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 9:19:11 AM UTC-4, TT wrote:

> Speaking of biopics, watched SELMA (2014)... and found it totally
> tedious and unnecessary film about Martin Luther King & civil rights
> movement. As if someone wanted to see another film on black
> movement/white guilt. And all they damn do is march and get beat. Acting
> was pretty passionless as well, even from the lead afro.
>
> MILK (2008) does the similar plot much better, probably having Sean Penn
> in the lead helped.
>
> Gave Selma a 4, Milk a 7.

I didn't care much for Selma either. I did like Milk.

> Oh yes and also watched QUEEN OF KATWE (2016), which was a nice film and
> gave it a 7 probably because of the authentic African atmosphere and
> Lupita Nyongo.

I want to see Queen of Katwe.

Gracchus

Sep 28, 2017, 10:47:42 AM9/28/17
On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 7:04:50 AM UTC-7, Court_1 wrote:
> On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 9:19:11 AM UTC-4, TT wrote:
>

> > Speaking of biopics, watched SELMA (2014)... and found it totally
> > tedious and unnecessary film about Martin Luther King & civil rights
> > movement. As if someone wanted to see another film on black
> > movement/white guilt. And all they damn do is march and get beat. Acting
> > was pretty passionless as well, even from the lead afro.
> >
> > MILK (2008) does the similar plot much better, probably having Sean Penn
> > in the lead helped.
> >
> > Gave Selma a 4, Milk a 7.
>
> I didn't care much for Selma either. I did like Milk.

Didn't see "Selma." The overblown performance of its song at the Oscars was quite enough for me. "Milk" was decent, but IMO Penn's performance was uneven. Sometimes he acted like a fairy, and sometimes he was the usual Sean Penn. Josh Brolin was much more convincing in his role.

You'll probably disagree here since you liked Penn's laughable take on a retarded guy in "I Am Sam." Not that I'm anti-Penn in general. I've liked him in other things ("Carlito's Way," etc.).

TT

Sep 28, 2017, 10:52:15 AM9/28/17
Court_1 kirjoitti 28.9.2017 klo 17:01:
> On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 8:47:11 AM UTC-4, TT wrote:
>> Gracchus kirjoitti 27.9.2017 klo 19:22:
>>> If you thought the multifaceted DiCaprio couldn't top his performances as Howard Hughes and J. Edgar Hoover, this one might do it! Can't you just picture him leading the Rough Riders and Bull Moose Party? Give him a pair of glasses and some muttonchops, and Leo's unparalleled acting skills will do the rest. Can't wait!
>>>

>>> http://variety.com/2017/film/news/leonardo-dicaprio-martin-scorsese-teddy-roosevelt-movie-1202573721/
>>>

>> I'm not very excited on seeing a film on Roosewelt. Well, maybe it'll be
>> an educating biopic... don't know much about Roosewelt really.
>>
>> -
>>
>> Meanwhile, I made another film list yesterday, ex tempore...
>>
>> http://www.listchallenges.com/50-most-memorable-film-endings-of-all-time
>>
>> I'm a bit bummed that I forgot to include "The Last American Virgin
>> (1982)" though... pretty much a film only worth seeing for its memorable
>> and strong ending.
>
> You're missing so many movies with memorable endings IMO:
>
> The Usual Suspects

Don't remember. Some crap about Keiser Soze probably.

> Primal Fear

Don't remember.

> Seven

Don't remember.

> Psycho

Memorable FILM but the very end at the hospital probably not so much. I
didn't remember the hospital scene before revisiting the film lately.

> Dial M for Murder

Ummm... it's a good ending but I think there are more memorable ones.
The film is a bit complex and remembering the end probably requires
recalling the entire plot. Seeing it 10 times probably helps...

> The Departed

I actually checked on YT how the film ended... I only remembered the
ridiculous elevator slaughter scene but not what happened afterwards...

> Gone Girl

Yeah, could have made the list. Then again I don't think it really
separates itself from a many similar endings.

> Gone Baby Gone

Haven't seen it yet.

> The Others

Yes, very good ending and could have made the list.
I have a bit hazy recollection what happens after the reveal though, I
think not much.

At least the list had Sixth Sense, which is similar idea.

> Saw

Don't remember.

> Jacob's Ladder

Hahaha... forgot already.

> Carnival of Souls

Again great reveal ending. Not sure if THAT memorable though.
I remember what was revealed but had to think for a second to remember
HOW it was revealed.

> Les Diaboliques

Forgot already.

> Dead Calm

Great film etc but I don't have flashbulb in my head saying 'wow - what
an ending!'...

> Secret Window

Forgot already. Well, probably saw it 10+ years ago so...

> Orphan

Not seen I think.

> American Beauty

How did it end again... all is well and he didn't her virginity etc?

> The Gift--the one with Jason Bateman

Not seen. You realize that this is all-time list?

> Side Effects

Forgot already.

> Body Heat

Great film overall and very good ending as well. Not sure if one
remembers that for decades though.

> Incendies

How did it end?

> Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Haven't seen. I guess having a memorable ending explains its popularity.

> The Silence of the Lambs

How did it end?

> Changeling

Ummm... I remember the plot but not the ending really, at least instantly.

> Twelve Monkeys

Saw it back when and remember fuck all.

> The Secret in Their Eyes.

Very strong final chapter but I didn't remember the very very end. I
guess could have made the list.

TT

Sep 28, 2017, 10:54:17 AM9/28/17
Don't set up your hopes too high. It hardly dashes with originality of
the journey... but delivers it in engaging manner enough, sort of like
Hidden Figures...

Gracchus

Sep 28, 2017, 11:12:40 AM9/28/17
On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 7:52:15 AM UTC-7, TT wrote:
> Court_1 kirjoitti 28.9.2017 klo 17:01:

> > The Usual Suspects
>
> Don't remember. Some crap about Keiser Soze probably.

Very good, you got it! But it really was a great ending sequence.

> > Primal Fear

> Don't remember.

Nice ending in that one, yeah.

> > The Departed

> I actually checked on YT how the film ended... I only remembered the
> ridiculous elevator slaughter scene but not what happened afterwards...

I'm not even going to say it.

> > Gone Baby Gone

> Haven't seen it yet.

I saw it, and all I remember is that some guy actually said, "She's gone, baby...gone." So an inspired title at least.

> > Jacob's Ladder
>
> Hahaha... forgot already.

Refer to "Carnival of Souls" and add Vietnam.

> > Carnival of Souls

> Again great reveal ending. Not sure if THAT memorable though.
> I remember what was revealed but had to think for a second to remember
> HOW it was revealed.

> > Orphan

> Not seen I think.

Isn't that the one with the stunted Russian psycho?

> > American Beauty

> How did it end again... all is well and he didn't her virginity etc?

Yeah, William Goldman said that aspect pissed him off royally. He was screaming at the screen, "This is such Hollywood horseshit!"

> > Body Heat

> Great film overall and very good ending as well. Not sure if one
> remembers that for decades though.

One of the better neo-noirs for sure. But you know C1 only likes the ending because she was rooting for the ball-cutter femme fatale as always. ;)

> > The Silence of the Lambs

> How did it end?

Who cares? It's wildly overrated.

> > Twelve Monkeys

> Saw it back when and remember fuck all.

Good film but better television show.

TT

Sep 28, 2017, 11:40:46 AM9/28/17
Gracchus kirjoitti 28.9.2017 klo 18:11:
>>> Jacob's Ladder
>> Hahaha... forgot already.
> Refer to "Carnival of Souls" and add Vietnam.

Ahhh, now I remember...
:)

Great complex twist ending.

-

P.S. for C1... I guess I left out some films with good twist-endings...
BUT I think one often remembers the twist rather than the ending itself.
For example on Planet of the Apes you remember the twist AND how it was
revealed (statue of liberty).
Also, it was only a top 50 - can't include 50 films from this millennium
alone. :)

Any comments on films/endings I *did* include?

I got the idea for the list on clicking through a list at List
Challenges when I stumbled across 'Sexmission 1984' and read its plot...
this was a film a title name which I had completely forgotten and had
been trying to find recently by googling about the main idea of the film
and the ending... Probably saw the film around -85 and never forgot the
ending, I think impossible to forget.

TT

Sep 28, 2017, 1:06:38 PM9/28/17
Gracchus kirjoitti 28.9.2017 klo 18:11:
>>> American Beauty
>> How did it end again... all is well and he didn't her virginity etc?
> Yeah, William Goldman said that aspect pissed him off royally. He was screaming at the screen, "This is such Hollywood horseshit!"

Does this mean that Goldman would have corked the beauty himself?

Court_1

Sep 28, 2017, 1:07:10 PM9/28/17
On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 10:47:42 AM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:

> You'll probably disagree here since you liked Penn's laughable take on a retarded guy in "I Am Sam." Not that I'm anti-Penn in general. I've liked him in other things ("Carlito's Way," etc.)

Are you talking to me? I didn't see "I am Sam" but I know TT raves about it.

TT

Sep 28, 2017, 1:13:58 PM9/28/17
Nobody plays a retarded guy like Penn, he's born for the role!
(Practising my backhanded compliments)

I think Gracs has a point on Penn being half fruit half vegetable on
Milk. The male kissing scenes sure were cringe inducing.

Court_1

Sep 28, 2017, 2:15:37 PM9/28/17
On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 10:52:15 AM UTC-4, TT wrote:

> > The Usual Suspects
>
> Don't remember. Some crap about Keiser Soze probably.

Oh come on! On one of the best twist endings of all time! It's on every "best twist ending" movie list.

> > Primal Fear
>
> Don't remember.

Again, it's renowned for its twist ending. Ed Norton's character reveals at the end to his defense lawyer(played by Gere) that the split personality stuttering "innocent" Aaron was all an act for the benefit of the trial. It was Norton's best performance ever IMO.

> > Seven
>
> Don't remember.

??? How about Gwyneth Paltrow's severed head in that box?

> > Psycho
>
> Memorable FILM but the very end at the hospital probably not so much. I
> didn't remember the hospital scene before revisiting the film lately.

Um, the shock ending is the fact that Bates is a cross-dressing loony with Mommy issues!

> > Dial M for Murder
>
> Ummm... it's a good ending but I think there are more memorable ones.
> The film is a bit complex and remembering the end probably requires
> recalling the entire plot. Seeing it 10 times probably helps...

What's complicated? The hubby set up dear wife's murder!

> > The Departed
>
> I actually checked on YT how the film ended... I only remembered the
> ridiculous elevator slaughter scene but not what happened afterwards...

Matt Damon thought he carried out the perfect crime but instead gets a bullet in the head. Great ending.

> > Gone Girl
>
> Yeah, could have made the list. Then again I don't think it really
> separates itself from a many similar endings.

It separates itself--the sociopath wife masterminded her own disappearance and her husband's framing and gets away with it all.

> > Gone Baby Gone
>
> Haven't seen it yet.

SPOILER AHEAD--for Gracchus--the kid's uncle conspired with the police captain to take the kid away from the mother. The kid's death was staged!

> > The Others
>
> Yes, very good ending and could have made the list.
> I have a bit hazy recollection what happens after the reveal though, I
> think not much.

The reveal is what happens and it's awesome!

> At least the list had Sixth Sense, which is similar idea.
>
> > Saw
>
> Don't remember.

The corpse in the middle of the room is really alive and is the psycho Jigsaw.

> > Jacob's Ladder
>
> Hahaha... forgot already.
>
> > Carnival of Souls
>
> Again great reveal ending. Not sure if THAT memorable though.
> I remember what was revealed but had to think for a second to remember
> HOW it was revealed.

Both JL and C of Souls were similar and stellar endings.

> > Les Diaboliques
>
> Forgot already.

It's probably one of my favorite psychological thrillers of all time. Brilliant movie and ending IMO.

> > Dead Calm
>
> Great film etc but I don't have flashbulb in my head saying 'wow - what
> an ending!'...

Zane's character killed everybody aboard that other boat, returned from the dead and was shot by a flare.

> > Secret Window
>
> Forgot already. Well, probably saw it 10+ years ago so...

Main character with split personality did it.

> > Orphan
>
> Not seen I think.

It's a good horror/psycho thriller. Watch it.

> > American Beauty
>
> How did it end again... all is well and he didn't her virginity etc?

Chris Cooper's character has pansy issues and shoots Lester after Lester rejects his advances. I love the movie American Beauty.

> > The Gift--the one with Jason Bateman
>
> Not seen. You realize that this is all-time list?

The Gift (with Jason Bateman and Rebecca Hall_is a good movie.

> > Side Effects
>
> Forgot already.

The two women masterminded everything.

> > Body Heat
>
> Great film overall and very good ending as well. Not sure if one
> remembers that for decades though.

For sure the ending is remembered decades later. It's a classic.

> > Incendies
>
> How did it end?

The twins' father (and their mother's torturer in prison), turns out to be the child she gave up as a teenager, making him both their father AND their brother

> > Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
>
> Haven't seen. I guess having a memorable ending explains its popularity.

Watch it. It's good.

> > The Silence of the Lambs
>
> How did it end?

Lecter is alive and calls Clarice from the tropics and tells her he has to go because he's having a friend for dinner (Dr.Chilton.)

> > Changeling
>
> Ummm... I remember the plot but not the ending really, at least instantly.

The boy returned isn't Jolie's son.

> > Twelve Monkeys
>
> Saw it back when and remember fuck all.

It wasn't the Army of 12 Monkeys that released the virus.

> > The Secret in Their Eyes.
> >

> Very strong final chapter but I didn't remember the very very end. I
> guess could have made the list.

Huh? The guy whose wife was killed kept the killer imprisoned at his farm for 24 years so he could make him suffer.

Gracchus

Sep 28, 2017, 3:55:52 PM9/28/17
I suspect so. :) I thought his point was valid in any case. Spacey's character was supposed to be lusting after her through the whole film, and then he holds back not because she's jailbait, his daughter's friend, etc., but because he couldn't "corrupt" a virgin. Presumably his late-onset moral principles wouldn't allow that. The most likely *real* reason is that even for an arty Hollywood film, the studio felt the audience could forgive Spacey's lust for the girl but not him actually bedding her. Thus, "Hollywood horseshit."

Gracchus

Sep 28, 2017, 3:57:24 PM9/28/17
Oops. Well if you haven't seen it yet, don't. :)

TT

Sep 28, 2017, 4:52:17 PM9/28/17
Court_1 kirjoitti 28.9.2017 klo 21:15:
> On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 10:52:15 AM UTC-4, TT wrote:
>
>>> The Usual Suspects
>>
>> Don't remember. Some crap about Keiser Soze probably.
>
> Oh come on! On one of the best twist endings of all time! It's on every "best twist ending" movie list.
>
>>> Primal Fear
>>
>> Don't remember.
>
> Again, it's renowned for its twist ending. Ed Norton's character reveals at the end to his defense lawyer(played by Gere) that the split personality stuttering "innocent" Aaron was all an act for the benefit of the trial. It was Norton's best performance ever IMO.

Aren't there lots of similar endings though, where the guilty is set
free and then revealed (or left hanging) the guilt... the best example
would probably be "Witness for Prosecution" with Marlene Dietrich

Or how about that typewriter thingy with Bridges and Close... Jagged Edge.

The most memorable courtroom ending is probably Nicholson's rant in 'A
Few Good Men'... which I probably should have included. I didn't because
I thought it didn't quite end there, silly of me.

>>> Seven
>>
>> Don't remember.
>
> ??? How about Gwyneth Paltrow's severed head in that box?

Sounds good. Is it wearing that famous Gwyneth grin too? Now THAT would
be terrifying.

>>> Psycho
>>
>> Memorable FILM but the very end at the hospital probably not so much. I
>> didn't remember the hospital scene before revisiting the film lately.
>
> Um, the shock ending is the fact that Bates is a cross-dressing loony with Mommy issues!

Yeah, but there's a hospital scene afterwards. Maybe I was taking
'ending' a bit too literally.

>>> Dial M for Murder
>>
>> Ummm... it's a good ending but I think there are more memorable ones.
>> The film is a bit complex and remembering the end probably requires
>> recalling the entire plot. Seeing it 10 times probably helps...
>
> What's complicated? The hubby set up dear wife's murder!

Wasn't that obvious earlier... I thought the ending was more about
proving the guilt and key-scheme thingy.

>>> The Departed
>>
>> I actually checked on YT how the film ended... I only remembered the
>> ridiculous elevator slaughter scene but not what happened afterwards...
>
> Matt Damon thought he carried out the perfect crime but instead gets a bullet in the head. Great ending.

I disagree on greatness of it. At least the elevator scene was absurd...
who shot whom and why...

Still I didn't remember Damon got shot too. Do we even know by whom and why?

The Hong Kong original (Infernal Affairs) didn't make too much sense
either. Departed had some strengths but logical and credible script was
not one of them.

>>> Gone Girl
>>
>> Yeah, could have made the list. Then again I don't think it really
>> separates itself from a many similar endings.
>
> It separates itself--the sociopath wife masterminded her own disappearance and her husband's framing and gets away with it all.

Yeah, nicely twisty ending but the list was not about good endings but
memorable ones.

Plus, Gracs & I didn't find the ending very realistic. (or the entire
film for that matter)

>>> Gone Baby Gone
>>
>> Haven't seen it yet.
>
> SPOILER AHEAD--for Gracchus--the kid's uncle conspired with the police captain to take the kid away from the mother. The kid's death was staged!
>

>>> The Others
>>
>> Yes, very good ending and could have made the list.
>> I have a bit hazy recollection what happens after the reveal though, I
>> think not much.
>
> The reveal is what happens and it's awesome!

So it ends there. Maybe should have included it.

>> At least the list had Sixth Sense, which is similar idea.
>>
>>> Saw
>>
>> Don't remember.
>
> The corpse in the middle of the room is really alive and is the psycho Jigsaw.

Yeah, now that you say it I *faintly* recall something like that. I
wasn't too impressed with the film.

>>> Jacob's Ladder
>>
>> Hahaha... forgot already.
>>
>>> Carnival of Souls
>>
>> Again great reveal ending. Not sure if THAT memorable though.
>> I remember what was revealed but had to think for a second to remember
>> HOW it was revealed.
>
> Both JL and C of Souls were similar and stellar endings.
>

>>> Les Diaboliques
>>
>> Forgot already.
>
> It's probably one of my favorite psychological thrillers of all time. Brilliant movie and ending IMO.
>

>>> Dead Calm
>>
>> Great film etc but I don't have flashbulb in my head saying 'wow - what
>> an ending!'...
>
> Zane's character killed everybody aboard that other boat, returned from the dead and was shot by a flare.

Should have remembered that. Then again shooting with a flare is
memorable only when aimed at crotch.

Somehow I remembered the film ending with Zane swimming towards the boat
holding pressurized scuba diving tank between his teeth and Sam Neil
shooting the tank, exploding the tank and Zane with it. Maybe I was
thinking of some other movie?

>>> Secret Window
>>
>> Forgot already. Well, probably saw it 10+ years ago so...
>
> Main character with split personality did it.
>
>>> Orphan
>>
>> Not seen I think.
>
> It's a good horror/psycho thriller. Watch it.
>

>>> American Beauty
>>
>> How did it end again... all is well and he didn't her virginity etc?
>
> Chris Cooper's character has pansy issues and shoots Lester after Lester rejects his advances. I love the movie American Beauty.

It's a very well made and acted film yes.

I still didn't remember the ending after reading your post. Had to watch
it on youtube and now it's coming back...

>>> The Gift--the one with Jason Bateman
>>
>> Not seen. You realize that this is all-time list?
>
> The Gift (with Jason Bateman and Rebecca Hall_is a good movie.
>
>>> Side Effects
>>
>> Forgot already.
>
> The two women masterminded everything.
>>
>>> Body Heat
>>
>> Great film overall and very good ending as well. Not sure if one
>> remembers that for decades though.
>
> For sure the ending is remembered decades later. It's a classic.
>
>>> Incendies
>>
>> How did it end?
>
> The twins' father (and their mother's torturer in prison), turns out to be the child she gave up as a teenager, making him both their father AND their brother
>

>>> Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
>>
>> Haven't seen. I guess having a memorable ending explains its popularity.
>
> Watch it. It's good.
>
>>> The Silence of the Lambs
>>
>> How did it end?
>
> Lecter is alive and calls Clarice from the tropics and tells her he has to go because he's having a friend for dinner (Dr.Chilton.)

hahaha, 'for dinner'... I bet with some fava beans and nice chianti too.

>>> Changeling
>>
>> Ummm... I remember the plot but not the ending really, at least instantly.
>
> The boy returned isn't Jolie's son.

Hardly a super memorable shock when almost the whole film is Jolie
claiming it's not her son. I agree it's a great film though and Jolie
can actually act.

>>> Twelve Monkeys
>>
>> Saw it back when and remember fuck all.
>
> It wasn't the Army of 12 Monkeys that released the virus.

It wasn't? I'm shocked!!!

...really don't remember much of it, saw it over 20 years ago. I've
rated it a 7.

>>> The Secret in Their Eyes.
>>>

>> Very strong final chapter but I didn't remember the very very end. I
>> guess could have made the list.
>
> Huh? The guy whose wife was killed kept the killer imprisoned at his farm for 24 years so he could make him suffer.

Yeah, that's certainly memorable. But when I checked wikipedia before
deciding whether to include it... the wiki told it was not quite the
last scene. Yeah, maybe I was taking 'ending' too literally there.

TT

Sep 28, 2017, 5:01:02 PM9/28/17
C1 would probably like it. Good human story & Pfeiffer.

I see I have it at 8. :)

Gracchus

Sep 28, 2017, 5:45:51 PM9/28/17
What don't you have at an 8 these days?

TT

Sep 28, 2017, 5:49:40 PM9/28/17
Hombre?

Gracchus

Sep 28, 2017, 6:06:09 PM9/28/17
On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 1:52:17 PM UTC-7, TT wrote:

> >> Don't remember.
> >
> > Again, it's renowned for its twist ending. Ed Norton's character reveals at the end to his defense lawyer(played by Gere) that the split personality stuttering "innocent" Aaron was all an act for the benefit of the trial. It was Norton's best performance ever IMO.
> >

> Aren't there lots of similar endings though, where the guilty is set
> free and then revealed (or left hanging) the guilt... the best example
> would probably be "Witness for Prosecution" with Marlene Dietrich
>
> Or how about that typewriter thingy with Bridges and Close... Jagged Edge.

Yes, but this one was different because the multiple personality act was so convincing. Also a nice touch that even when the lawyer thought he had it figured out, he still thought the stuttering guy was the genuine personality when it was really the alternate "bad guy."

> >> Don't remember.
> >
> > ??? How about Gwyneth Paltrow's severed head in that box?

> Sounds good. Is it wearing that famous Gwyneth grin too? Now THAT would
> be terrifying.

Maybe with the head severed, her expression actually changed. That would be a first for Paltrow.

No severed Leo head in this one. Probably too labor-intensive.

> >> How did it end again... all is well and he didn't her virginity etc?

> > Chris Cooper's character has pansy issues and shoots Lester after Lester rejects his advances. I love the movie American Beauty.

> It's a very well made and acted film yes.

That was another part that was implausible. Cooper caves into his gay impulses by suddenly walking in Spacey's garage and kissing him. I suppose one could make the argument that Cooper believed Spacey (or Lester) was trying to seduce him via bodybuilding. Still a stupid scene IMO. Alan Ball is a fine writer, but he manages to slip homo propaganda into all his works. Have to watch out for that.

> >> How did it end?
> >
> > The twins' father (and their mother's torturer in prison), turns out to be the child she gave up as a teenager, making him both their father AND their brother

A flawed but still very good film. It was made by Villaneuve after all.

Gracchus

Sep 28, 2017, 6:07:14 PM9/28/17
A wise choice there. It's more like a 9.

Court_1

Sep 28, 2017, 10:03:23 PM9/28/17
On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 11:40:46 AM UTC-4, TT wrote:

> P.S. for C1... I guess I left out some films with good twist-endings...
> BUT I think one often remembers the twist rather than the ending itself.
> For example on Planet of the Apes you remember the twist AND how it was
> revealed (statue of liberty).

I don't think I've ever seen the entire Planet of the Apes movie. I have to try to watch the entire original and the sequels.

> Any comments on films/endings I *did* include?

I agree with you that King Kong was a memorable ending. Same with Rosemary's Baby--that entire film was memorable and one of my favorite movies ever.

Thelma & Louise? Blech. Both of those lead actresses make me puke and that movie was mostly sudsy and annoying from what I recall.

The Birds--do the birds attack at the very end? Great movie.

Nothing about Duel impressed me.

The Graduate is a very memorable ending.

I agree with Vertigo and Casablanca.

How did Some Like it Hot end--with Curtis and Monroe hooking up? What's so incredible about that ending?

I agree with The Wicker Man.

Terminator 2? OY! *rolls eyes*

The Matrix? I honestly can't remember the ending.

In Basic Instinct, is the end the ice pick scene?

The Breakfast Club? LOL. Don't get me started on that overrated dreck. What's memorable about the ending in that movie? You would have The Breakfast Club on ANY positive list. You're obsessed with that movie!

I liked Spartacus but don't remember the ending.

The Shining? I can't remember the ending.

I don't remember Raiders of the Lost Arc ending. I don't remember No Way Out's ending either. What happened at the end of Groundhog Day?--I don't recall.

The ending of Bonnie and Clyde was good.

The Sixth Sense--yes, I guess the ending is memorable but I much prefer the entire movie and the ending of The Others.

I haven't seen the rest of the films you've listed.

Court_1

Sep 28, 2017, 10:20:54 PM9/28/17
On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 4:52:17 PM UTC-4, TT wrote:

> > Again, it's renowned for its twist ending. Ed Norton's character reveals at the end to his defense lawyer(played by Gere) that the split personality stuttering "innocent" Aaron was all an act for the benefit of the trial. It was Norton's best performance ever IMO.
> >

> Aren't there lots of similar endings though, where the guilty is set
> free and then revealed (or left hanging) the guilt... the best example
> would probably be "Witness for Prosecution" with Marlene Dietrich

But Norton's stuttering persona never actually existed. It was all made up for the benefit of his trial and defense lawyer.

> Or how about that typewriter thingy with Bridges and Close... Jagged Edge.

Yes, Jagged Edge had a good/memorable ending.

> The most memorable courtroom ending is probably Nicholson's rant in 'A
> Few Good Men'... which I probably should have included. I didn't because
> I thought it didn't quite end there, silly of me.

I don't remember A Few Good Men's ending at all. Wasn't that entire movie over the top Hollywood blockbuster stuff?

> Yeah, but there's a hospital scene afterwards. Maybe I was taking

Yes, I think you're taking "ending" too literally with many of these films.

> >> Ummm... it's a good ending but I think there are more memorable ones.
> >> The film is a bit complex and remembering the end probably requires
> >> recalling the entire plot. Seeing it 10 times probably helps...
> >
> > What's complicated? The hubby set up dear wife's murder!
> >

> Wasn't that obvious earlier...

I guess so.

> >> I actually checked on YT how the film ended... I only remembered the
> >> ridiculous elevator slaughter scene but not what happened afterwards...
> >
> > Matt Damon thought he carried out the perfect crime but instead gets a bullet in the head. Great ending.
> >

> I disagree on greatness of it. At least the elevator scene was absurd...
> who shot whom and why...
>
> Still I didn't remember Damon got shot too. Do we even know by whom and why?

Yes! Damon was set up.

> The Hong Kong original (Infernal Affairs) didn't make too much sense
> either. Departed had some strengths but logical and credible script was
> not one of them.

I liked The Departed.

> >> Yeah, could have made the list. Then again I don't think it really
> >> separates itself from a many similar endings.
> >
> > It separates itself--the sociopath wife masterminded her own disappearance and her husband's framing and gets away with it all.
> >

> Yeah, nicely twisty ending but the list was not about good endings but
> memorable ones.

It was both IMO.

> Plus, Gracs & I didn't find the ending very realistic. (or the entire
> film for that matter)

It was a good movie. The wife was a real sociopath.

> >> Don't remember.
> >
> > The corpse in the middle of the room is really alive and is the psycho Jigsaw.
> >

> Yeah, now that you say it I *faintly* recall something like that. I
> wasn't too impressed with the film.

I liked Saw.

Court_1

Sep 28, 2017, 10:28:49 PM9/28/17
On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 6:06:09 PM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:

> > > Chris Cooper's character has pansy issues and shoots Lester after Lester rejects his advances. I love the movie American Beauty.
>
> > It's a very well made and acted film yes.
>
> That was another part that was implausible. Cooper caves into his gay impulses by suddenly walking in Spacey's garage and kissing him. I suppose one could make the argument that Cooper believed Spacey (or Lester) was trying to seduce him via bodybuilding. Still a stupid scene IMO. Alan Ball is a fine writer, but he manages to slip homo propaganda into all his works. Have to watch out for that.

What was implausible/stupid about it? Cooper's character was a troubled/insecure closet case and the clues were there from the beginning.

Gracchus

Sep 29, 2017, 12:37:26 AM9/29/17
The premise that Cooper's homo-hating military character is gay isn't especially implausible nor that he would finally give into his impulses and act on it. What I think is stupid is (1) even though he's watching Lester and fantasizing about him, making a move on his next door neighbor is idiotic. Even if Lester were also gay *and* receptive to his advances, there's no way it would ever stay hidden, and besides the community learning of it, Cooper has a teenage son (2) even if we accept that he wouldn't seek a different "outlet" because he's solely fixated on his neighbor--much as Lester is fixated on his daughter's friend--making such a sudden, clumsy move on him is the stupidest thing he could do.

You'll probably argue that he was already out of his mind by then, but even if so I think the scene was done poorly because there was no closeness at all between their characters prior to that point. Had they formed some kind of friendship first and Cooper then thought he got a "green light," that would have been much more believable.

Court_1

Sep 29, 2017, 1:58:57 AM9/29/17
I disagree that Frank making a spontaneous move on Lester was stupid. Frank thought his son and Lester were involved in some type of homosexual relationship after he saw his son videotaping the half-nude Lester working out in his garage. This brought out the competitive father-son dynamic that was going on between Frank and his son for the entire movie. Frank thought his son was "free" to engage in his homosexual desires, something Frank was not able to do and wished he could do as he repressed his homosexuality. Sons are extensions of their fathers after all. So there was that dynamic going on.

In addition, Frank thought he had the upper hand over Lester because he mistakenly assumed Lester was involved in an inappropriate relationship with his minor son so what was Lester going to do? Tell somebody about Frank's sexual advances? When Frank made the advance and realized he had interpreted the situation incorrectly, he decided to kill Lester because he wouldn't be able to deal with the shame of Lester knowing about Frank's real sexual orientation.

As for the stupidity of the actual impulsive sexual advance itself, humans are emotional beings and do impulsive things all of the time. Also, Lester and Frank had talked a little bit prior to "the attempted kiss" and had established some sort of rapport. I think if I recall, Lester confided in Frank that he thought his wife was cheating on him?

I really enjoyed American Beauty and thought it was a beautiful piece of filmmaking from start to finish.

Gracchus

Sep 29, 2017, 4:21:15 AM9/29/17
OK, I'd forgotten some of the plot details such as the father believing his son and Lester were "involved." You could have just pointed those out and saved yourself the lame attempts at character psychoanalysis. ;)

However, I don't buy for a moment the "humans are emotional beings and do impulsive things" rationale. Though anyone is *capable* of impulsiveness, it's a character trait. People are impulsive--or not--to varying degrees, so the behavior may be in or out of character for them. In the case of a fictional character, believable behavior depends largely on how the writer establishes his/her creation. A behavior then becomes either consistent or inconsistent. If inconsistent, then reasons or possible reasons should in some form be in the script. Otherwise, any writer or critic could always claim that things don't need to make sense because "people do impulsive things sometimes."

> I really enjoyed American Beauty and thought it was a beautiful piece of filmmaking from start to finish.

Yes, you make that clear on a regular basis. At least twice in this thread alone.

The Iceberg

Sep 29, 2017, 10:11:56 AM9/29/17
You reckon he was out of his depth in the Wolf of Wall St??!!! lol Dicaprio is big time Hollywood A-list, his films are always entertaining and generally is a very good actor. I say that growing up despising him!

TT

Sep 29, 2017, 10:35:51 AM9/29/17
On Friday, September 29, 2017 at 5:03:23 AM UTC+3, Court_1 wrote:
> On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 11:40:46 AM UTC-4, TT wrote:
>
> > P.S. for C1... I guess I left out some films with good twist-endings...
> > BUT I think one often remembers the twist rather than the ending itself.
> > For example on Planet of the Apes you remember the twist AND how it was
> > revealed (statue of liberty).
>
> I don't think I've ever seen the entire Planet of the Apes movie. I have to try to watch the entire original and the sequels.

Just watch the first one, it goes downhill pretty fast after that. I liked the 2nd one (Beneath...) as well but might not be your cup of tea.

> > Any comments on films/endings I *did* include?
>
> I agree with you that King Kong was a memorable ending. Same with Rosemary's Baby--that entire film was memorable and one of my favorite movies ever.
>
> Thelma & Louise? Blech. Both of those lead actresses make me puke and that movie was mostly sudsy and annoying from what I recall.

Sarandon is always good. I agree it's overrated.

The ending is pretty memorable though...
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/66CP-pq7Cx0/maxresdefault.jpg

> The Birds--do the birds attack at the very end? Great movie.

They do, but at the very end they just watch while the protagonists make their way very carefully to the car... they drive away and sun shines between the clouds. Eerie and brilliant.

> Nothing about Duel impressed me.

One of the best thrillers.

> The Graduate is a very memorable ending.

Helped by good acting and one of the best songs ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14pdNYXY3Zo

They got each other but how about the future? Perfect ending if there ever was one.

> I agree with Vertigo and Casablanca.
>
> How did Some Like it Hot end--with Curtis and Monroe hooking up? What's so incredible about that ending?

Jack Lemmon in desperation: "I'm a man!"
The old Romeo in love: "Well, nobody's perfect."

> I agree with The Wicker Man.
>
> Terminator 2? OY! *rolls eyes*

Arnie descends to molten steel holding his thumb up.

> The Matrix? I honestly can't remember the ending.

Neo is "the one" and does shit... while in the very end flies up like a Superman with rock music on the background. Whoa.

> In Basic Instinct, is the end the ice pick scene?

Camera shows ice pick under the bed. I'd be careful if I were him.

> The Breakfast Club? LOL. Don't get me started on that overrated dreck. What's memorable about the ending in that movie? You would have The Breakfast Club on ANY positive list. You're obsessed with that movie!

Football field, fist up, freeze frame, Don't You Forget About Me. Legendary. The image of the 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv1I4q6lOpo

> I liked Spartacus but don't remember the ending.

Sad ending. Varinia (Jean Simmons) with their baby must leave Spartacus crucified on side of the road. Final image is a road with Spartacus and his slave army hanging on crosses along the road. The cruelty of man.

> The Shining? I can't remember the ending.

They show a picture taken in the hotel in 1920 (some 60 years earlier), Jack is in the middle. Wtf?

> I don't remember Raiders of the Lost Arc ending. I don't remember No Way Out's ending either. What happened at the end of Groundhog Day?--I don't recall.

Raiders: Ark is forgotten on gigantic storage hall. Just another box.

No Way Out: The viewer has been lead to believe that Costner was victim of circumstance and not guilty. He was chased for a murder someone else committed. In the end it is revealed that he is Yury after all, the Russian mole. May seem tame with modern standards when president is the mole.

Groundhog Day: Murray, a changed man, finally manages to bed Andie... and then wakes to a new day with Andie next to him, it's not Groundhog day any more. They decide to stay/live in the town.

> The ending of Bonnie and Clyde was good.
>
> The Sixth Sense--yes, I guess the ending is memorable but I much prefer the entire movie and the ending of The Others.
>
> I haven't seen the rest of the films you've listed.

Then you gotta see 2001, The Good..., City Lights and Gone With the Wind at least. Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978 is one of the best horror films, the ending is especially creepy.

-

Meanwhile my list has made the List Challenges Facebook page and is trending big time, having already 3500 users and 14000 views.

Gracchus

Sep 29, 2017, 11:10:26 AM9/29/17
On Friday, September 29, 2017 at 7:35:51 AM UTC-7, TT wrote:
> On Friday, September 29, 2017 at 5:03:23 AM UTC+3, Court_1 wrote:

> > Thelma & Louise? Blech. Both of those lead actresses make me puke and that movie was mostly sudsy and annoying from what I recall.

> Sarandon is always good. I agree it's overrated.

Sarandon's a very solid actress. C1 detests her only for political reasons. But I agree about "Thelma & Louise." It was simplistic and cartoonish

> > Nothing about Duel impressed me.

> One of the best thrillers.

Yeah, that was a memorable TV movie. That was early Spielberg doing a lot with a little.

> > The Matrix? I honestly can't remember the ending.

> Neo is "the one" and does shit... while in the very end flies up like a Superman with rock music on the background. Whoa.

If only they had stopped with one "Matrix."

> > In Basic Instinct, is the end the ice pick scene?

> Camera shows ice pick under the bed. I'd be careful if I were him.

I just hope she let him climax first.

> > The Breakfast Club? LOL. Don't get me started on that overrated dreck. What's memorable about the ending in that movie? You would have The Breakfast Club on ANY positive list. You're obsessed with that movie!

> Football field, fist up, freeze frame, Don't You Forget About Me. Legendary. The image of the 80s.

Must agree with C1 here. Nothing special about "The Breakfast Club" even compared with other John Hughes movies.

> Sad ending. Varinia (Jean Simmons) with their baby must leave Spartacus crucified on side of the road. Final image is a road with Spartacus and his slave army hanging on crosses along the road. The cruelty of man.

How can anyone forget the ending to "Spartacus"??!

> > The Shining? I can't remember the ending.

> They show a picture taken in the hotel in 1920 (some 60 years earlier), Jack is in the middle. Wtf?

> Then you gotta see 2001, The Good..., City Lights and Gone With the Wind at least. Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978 is one of the best horror films, the ending is especially creepy.

Casting Sutherland helps a lot. He was born creepy.

She'll never watch "The Good..." Count on it.

TT

Sep 29, 2017, 11:56:48 AM9/29/17
Gracchus kirjoitti 29.9.2017 klo 18:10:
> On Friday, September 29, 2017 at 7:35:51 AM UTC-7, TT wrote:
>> On Friday, September 29, 2017 at 5:03:23 AM UTC+3, Court_1 wrote:
>
>>> Thelma & Louise? Blech. Both of those lead actresses make me puke and that movie was mostly sudsy and annoying from what I recall.
>
>> Sarandon is always good. I agree it's overrated.
>
> Sarandon's a very solid actress. C1 detests her only for political reasons. But I agree about "Thelma & Louise." It was simplistic and cartoonish

May I introduce... (voice breaks) BERNIE SANDERS!

>>> Nothing about Duel impressed me.
>
>> One of the best thrillers.
>
> Yeah, that was a memorable TV movie. That was early Spielberg doing a lot with a little.
>
>>> The Matrix? I honestly can't remember the ending.
>
>> Neo is "the one" and does shit... while in the very end flies up like a Superman with rock music on the background. Whoa.
>
> If only they had stopped with one "Matrix."

Yeah, well I liked the others as well but the first one was in different
league altogether. Really innovative great scifi action flick with
ground breaking effects (slo-mo "bullet time")

Ummmm... this reminds that maybe I should check what they say about
Blade Runner...

Tomatometer: 97% - average of 8,9! 34 critics.
Metacritic: 85/100, 23 reviews.

Gotta go see it then.

>>> In Basic Instinct, is the end the ice pick scene?
>
>> Camera shows ice pick under the bed. I'd be careful if I were him.
>
> I just hope she let him climax first.

I bet many guys bitd would have taken the risk.

> Casting Sutherland helps a lot. He was born creepy.

Yes, and the script is good too since the original is great film as
well. Then there's a -93 reremake which was ok as was the 2007
rereremake with Kidman. (I'm showing off)

> She'll never watch "The Good..." Count on it.

I've not lost hope yet.

Gracchus

Sep 29, 2017, 12:31:23 PM9/29/17

Yep, a true blue supporter and woman of fine character unlike that Clintonite #*$@ Sarah Silverman. But we digress...

> > If only they had stopped with one "Matrix."

> Yeah, well I liked the others as well but the first one was in different
> league altogether. Really innovative great scifi action flick with
> ground breaking effects (slo-mo "bullet time")

Only good thing about the others was one of the great OVERactors of all time--Ah-thony Zerbe!

> Ummmm... this reminds that maybe I should check what they say about
> Blade Runner...

> Tomatometer: 97% - average of 8,9! 34 critics.
> Metacritic: 85/100, 23 reviews.

> Gotta go see it then.

Best of all, you'll be able to tell people you saw it "in the theater." I guess it will take a few days to gauge whether initial reviews are an accurate bead on what fans of the original (and sci-fi fans in general) think of it. If the great Villeneuve has really pulled it off, he'll have completed his long, well-deserved ascent to the ranks of elite directors. Hope he won't turn into a sellout ala Scorsese.

> > She'll never watch "The Good..." Count on it.

> I've not lost hope yet.

I can imagine the review if she does: "What's all the fuss about this film? A bunch of hicks shooting each other for three hours?"

TT

Sep 29, 2017, 12:55:27 PM9/29/17
Gracchus kirjoitti 29.9.2017 klo 19:31:
>>> She'll never watch "The Good..." Count on it.
>> I've not lost hope yet.
> I can imagine the review if she does: "What's all the fuss about this film? A bunch of hicks shooting each other for three hours?"

Yeah, that could be gruesome. But probably amusing as well.

grif

Sep 29, 2017, 3:47:10 PM9/29/17
On 28/09/2017 14:19, TT wrote:

> Oh yes and also watched QUEEN OF KATWE (2016), which was a nice film and gave it a 7 probably because of the authentic African atmosphere and Lupita Nyongo.

Sometimes the place you are used to... is not the place where you belong. You belong where you believe you belong. Where is that for you ?
https://www.chess.com/forum/view/daily-puzzles/9-26-2017-letting-go-of-materialistic-ways
https://www.chess.com/forum/view/daily-puzzles/9-29-2017-deep-visualization

>> Meanwhile, I made another film list yesterday, ex tempore...
>>
>> http://www.listchallenges.com/50-most-memorable-film-endings-of-all-time

Where's "Citizen Kane" on your list ? Do you have a problem with that film ? 🙃

Guypers

Sep 29, 2017, 4:09:52 PM9/29/17
CK is there, no Godfather, Cool Hand Luke? Good list!

grif

Sep 29, 2017, 4:22:28 PM9/29/17
My bad, completely missed it, probably due to my impression that he didn't seem to like the film whenever he talked about it.

TT

Sep 29, 2017, 4:56:47 PM9/29/17
grif kirjoitti 29.9.2017 klo 22:47:
> On 28/09/2017 14:19, TT wrote:
>>
>> Oh yes and also watched QUEEN OF KATWE (2016), which was a nice film
>> and gave it a 7 probably because of the authentic African atmosphere
>> and Lupita Nyongo.
>>

> Sometimes the place you are used to... is not the place where you
> belong. You belong where you believe you belong. Where is that for you ?
> https://www.chess.com/forum/view/daily-puzzles/9-26-2017-letting-go-of-materialistic-ways

Nice forced back rank mate, mate. Saw the whole combo in one minute or so.

> https://www.chess.com/forum/view/daily-puzzles/9-29-2017-deep-visualization

This took a while, but got it right on 1st try.

Thought a bit on 1st move, considered check with the queen.
(can't really do it because black's king can run, queen interfere etc)

2nd move took some time as well, then saw that queen sacrifice was the
only way to go.

Then solved rest of the puzzle mentally after 5th move (first knight
move), saw how the mate is done... neat puzzle!

TT

Sep 29, 2017, 5:01:22 PM9/29/17
Thanks.

I don't remember how GF ends! :)

I considered Luke but thought that it might be a bit biased pick cause I
love that film. The end is really memorable (Luke & glasses) and after
that there's 'that Luke smile' montage which is not as shocking &
memorable...

TT

Sep 29, 2017, 5:04:37 PM9/29/17
I don't like it much, but the end is still unforgettable... for some
because 'wow - what a brilliantly deep ending"... for me because "wow -
so that's what all the fuss was about... geez!"

grif

Sep 29, 2017, 5:27:20 PM9/29/17
👏🏻

Where is "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" on your list ? 😮

What happens at the end of "The Entity" ? I've seen it but can't remember the ending.

"The Cincinnati Kid" is an interesting entry. The version I saw had The Kid run into his girlfriend, Christian, again. I didn't like this ending as I felt it diluted what happened before. The following ending where they just cut that part out is the better one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI6pSkIs_tc

TT

Sep 29, 2017, 5:49:04 PM9/29/17
grif kirjoitti 30.9.2017 klo 0:27:
> On 29/09/2017 21:56, TT wrote:
>> grif kirjoitti 29.9.2017 klo 22:47:

>>> Sometimes the place you are used to... is not the place where you
>>> belong. You belong where you believe you belong. Where is that for you ?
>>> https://www.chess.com/forum/view/daily-puzzles/9-26-2017-letting-go-of-materialistic-ways
>>>

>> Nice forced back rank mate, mate. Saw the whole combo in one minute or
>> so.
>>
>>> https://www.chess.com/forum/view/daily-puzzles/9-29-2017-deep-visualization
>>>

>> This took a while, but got it right on 1st try.
>>
>> Thought a bit on 1st move, considered check with the queen.
>> (can't really do it because black's king can run, queen interfere etc)
>>
>> 2nd move took some time as well, then saw that queen sacrifice was the
>> only way to go.
>>
>> Then solved rest of the puzzle mentally after 5th move (first knight
>> move), saw how the mate is done... neat puzzle!
>
> 👏🏻
>
> Where is "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" on your list ? 😮

:)

Saving it for the next list... it's going to be #1 on 2016, 2015,
2014... it's that good! Had really hard time keeping it off my 80s films
list as well.

> What happens at the end of "The Entity" ? I've seen it but can't
> remember the ending.

"THE ENTITY 1982" SPOILER - do not fucking read further

The ending is pure legend... the viewer thinks that Barbara Hershey
might have gotten rid of the entity... she comes home, door slams shut
and creepy deep voice of the entity says "Welcome home, cunt!".

> "The Cincinnati Kid" is an interesting entry. The version I saw had The
> Kid run into his girlfriend, Christian, again. I didn't like this ending
> as I felt it diluted what happened before. The following ending where
> they just cut that part out is the better one.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI6pSkIs_tc

I don't think I saw that ending. The version I've seen Kid loses in
cards, goes out and then loses to little black kid on coin tossing as well.
...yeah, that's the one. "You just ain't ready for me yet".

bob

Sep 29, 2017, 6:09:45 PM9/29/17
On Fri, 29 Sep 2017 09:31:12 -0700 (PDT), Gracchus
<grac...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, September 29, 2017 at 8:56:48 AM UTC-7, TT wrote:
>> Gracchus kirjoitti 29.9.2017 klo 18:10:

>> > Sarandon's a very solid actress. C1 detests her only for political reasons. But I agree about "Thelma & Louise." It was simplistic and cartoonish
>
>> May I introduce... (voice breaks) BERNIE SANDERS!
>
>Yep, a true blue supporter and woman of fine character unlike that Clintonite #*$@ Sarah Silverman. But we digress...

sarandon knew what happened to bernie, and was upset about it, and was
poked at by all hollywood for it. they told her "get over it" - then
DJT became #45. can't help but laugh.

bob

Court_1

Sep 29, 2017, 9:09:50 PM9/29/17
On Friday, September 29, 2017 at 4:21:15 AM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:

> OK, I'd forgotten some of the plot details such as the father believing his son and Lester were "involved." You could have just pointed those out and saved yourself the lame attempts at character psychoanalysis. ;)

Is that your indirect way of acknowledging I'm right? ;)

Whether you want to call it psychobabble or not, the father-son dynamic is a big part of the film and one of the main reasons Frank decided to act impulsively on his repressed feelings with Lester. Frank thinking his son was a homosexual (and hence a "true and free" extension of himself) pushed him over the edge. It's basic psych 101.

> However, I don't buy for a moment the "humans are emotional beings and do impulsive things" rationale. Though anyone is *capable* of impulsiveness, it's a character trait. People are impulsive--or not--to varying degrees, so the behavior may be in or out of character for them.

That's incorrect IMO. Everybody is capable of impulsive behavior where emotionally charged personal relationships are involved and circumstances dictate that situation. Look at all of the crimes of passion committed by otherwise "normal" individuals for example.

>In the case of a fictional character it depends largely on how the writer establishes his/her creation. A behavior then becomes either consistent or inconsistent. If inconsistent, then reasons or possible reasons should in some form be in the script. Otherwise, any writer or critic could always claim that things don't need to make sense because "people do impulsive things sometimes."

In this movie, the Frank character was written as a walking time bomb, a person uncomfortable in his own skin and a person who was not true to himself due to masking his core self and sexual desires. It wouldn't take much for a character like that to engage in impulsive behavior if he found himself in an emotionally charged situation which Frank did, i.e. he just saw his flesh and blood son involved with Lester in what he thought was a homosexual encounter. That triggered his impulsive behavior towards Lester(both the attempted kiss and the killing.) There is absolutely nothing odd about that particular character doing what he did. One could see and feel it coming IMO. You wouldn't make a very good shrink! *rolls eyes*

> > I really enjoyed American Beauty and thought it was a beautiful piece of filmmaking from start to finish.
>
> Yes, you make that clear on a regular basis. At least twice in this thread alone.

Just like you also make it clear how much certain parts annoyed you or didn't sit well with you on a regular basis and at least a few times in this thread you mean? *rolls eyes*

jdeluise

Sep 29, 2017, 9:19:44 PM9/29/17
On Fri, 29 Sep 2017 18:09:48 -0700, Court_1 wrote:

> There is absolutely nothing odd about that particular character doing
> what he did.

BS

Court_1

Sep 29, 2017, 9:36:17 PM9/29/17
On Friday, September 29, 2017 at 10:35:51 AM UTC-4, TT wrote:

> > I don't think I've ever seen the entire Planet of the Apes movie. I have to try to watch the entire original and the sequels.
> >

> Just watch the first one, it goes downhill pretty fast after that. I liked the 2nd one (Beneath...) as well but might not be your cup of tea.

I've seen parts of the first one but not the entire thing. I liked what I did see.

> > Thelma & Louise? Blech. Both of those lead actresses make me puke and that movie was mostly sudsy and annoying from what I recall.
> >

> Sarandon is always good. I agree it's overrated.

I agree that Sarandon is an adequate actress but that movie and the combo of those actresses in those roles annoyed me including the ending of the movie. I found the whole thing hokey.

> > The Birds--do the birds attack at the very end? Great movie.
> >

> They do, but at the very end they just watch while the protagonists make their way very carefully to the car... they drive away and sun shines between the clouds. Eerie and brilliant.

I agree.

> > Nothing about Duel impressed me.
> >

> One of the best thrillers.

I found it average in every way. I saw it long after all of the hype and was expecting much more.

> > The Graduate is a very memorable ending.
> >

> Helped by good acting and one of the best songs ever.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14pdNYXY3Zo
>
> They got each other but how about the future? Perfect ending if there ever was one.

Yeah, I can watch that film over and over and never get tired of it. The music in that film adds so much. It's fantastic.

> > How did Some Like it Hot end--with Curtis and Monroe hooking up? What's so incredible about that ending?
> >

> Jack Lemmon in desperation: "I'm a man!"
> The old Romeo in love: "Well, nobody's perfect."

It's a good movie and ending but I'm not sure it should go on a most memorable ending list? What are other commenters saying?

> > I liked Spartacus but don't remember the ending.
> >

> Sad ending. Varinia (Jean Simmons) with their baby must leave Spartacus crucified on side of the road. Final image is a road with Spartacus and his slave army hanging on crosses along the road. The cruelty of man.

Oh yes. Good movie and ending. But does it deserve a spot on a most memorable list? ???? I don't know if I've ever seen that movie on any of those lists?

> > The Shining? I can't remember the ending.
> >

> They show a picture taken in the hotel in 1920 (some 60 years earlier), Jack is in the middle. Wtf?

Ok, it deserves a place on this list IMO.

> Raiders: Ark is forgotten on gigantic storage hall. Just another box.

I don't remember the entire movie. It's been SO long since I saw it in the cinema.

> No Way Out: The viewer has been lead to believe that Costner was victim of circumstance and not guilty. He was chased for a murder someone else committed. In the end it is revealed that he is Yury after all, the Russian mole. May seem tame with modern standards when president is the mole.

LOL at the Trump remark! It's also been so long since I saw No Way Out in the cinema and I think it's the only movie I saw in the cinema where I fell asleep in parts because I remember I wasn't feeling well on that day.

> > I haven't seen the rest of the films you've listed.
>
> Then you gotta see 2001, The Good..., City Lights and Gone With the Wind at least. Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978 is one of the best horror films, the ending is especially creepy.

Yes, there are many on your list I need to make my way through.

> Meanwhile my list has made the List Challenges Facebook page and is trending big time, having already 3500 users and 14000 views.

Good job! Can people comment on List Challenges? If so what have people commented about your list or what are they saying on FB about it?

Court_1

Sep 29, 2017, 9:43:17 PM9/29/17
On Friday, September 29, 2017 at 11:10:26 AM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:

> > Sarandon is always good. I agree it's overrated.
>
> Sarandon's a very solid actress. C1 detests her only for political reasons.

That's untrue. She's always annoyed me, long before we were subjected to her insane political rants. But I do agree that she's a decent actor. I've liked her in many roles but Thelma & Louise is not one of them.

> > Sad ending. Varinia (Jean Simmons) with their baby must leave Spartacus crucified on side of the road. Final image is a road with Spartacus and his slave army hanging on crosses along the road. The cruelty of man.
>
> How can anyone forget the ending to "Spartacus"??!

It's a good ending but does it appear on many of the most memorable ending lists? I don't know if I've seen it on those lists.

> She'll never watch "The Good..." Count on it.

That's inaccurate. I've watched a lot of Westerns in the past year and a half. I'm looking for my Western nirvana. Hopefully, I'll get to it.

Court_1

Sep 29, 2017, 9:45:44 PM9/29/17
That's your full comment? BS? You come out of the darkness and shadows to say that? *rolls eyes*

It's not BS and I've detailed why I thought so.

Court_1

Sep 29, 2017, 9:49:10 PM9/29/17
On Friday, September 29, 2017 at 12:31:23 PM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:
> On Friday, September 29, 2017 at 8:56:48 AM UTC-7, TT wrote:
> > Gracchus kirjoitti 29.9.2017 klo 18:10:

> > > Sarandon's a very solid actress. C1 detests her only for political reasons. But I agree about "Thelma & Louise." It was simplistic and cartoonish
>
> > May I introduce... (voice breaks) BERNIE SANDERS!
>
> Yep, a true blue supporter and woman of fine character unlike that Clintonite #*$@ Sarah Silverman. But we digress...

Silverman can be annoying at times too but I'll take her and her political views over Looney Tunes Sarandon's any day.

Court_1

Sep 29, 2017, 9:49:28 PM9/29/17
Oh yes, it's really funny that a psycho is in charge! *rolls eyes* What a sense of humor you have.

Gracchus

Sep 29, 2017, 9:49:31 PM9/29/17
On Friday, September 29, 2017 at 6:09:50 PM UTC-7, Court_1 wrote:
> On Friday, September 29, 2017 at 4:21:15 AM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:

> > OK, I'd forgotten some of the plot details such as the father believing his son and Lester were "involved." You could have just pointed those out and saved yourself the lame attempts at character psychoanalysis. ;)

> Is that your indirect way of acknowledging I'm right? ;)

> Whether you want to call it psychobabble or not, the father-son dynamic is a big part of the film and one of the main reasons Frank decided to act impulsively on his repressed feelings with Lester. Frank thinking his son was a homosexual (and hence a "true and free" extension of himself) pushed him over the edge. It's basic psych 101.

No, it really isn't. It's Freudian psychology, which most modern psychologists regard with a very cynical eye. Stick to Canadian law.

> > However, I don't buy for a moment the "humans are emotional beings and do impulsive things" rationale. Though anyone is *capable* of impulsiveness, it's a character trait. People are impulsive--or not--to varying degrees, so the behavior may be in or out of character for them.

> That's incorrect IMO. Everybody is capable of impulsive behavior where emotionally charged personal relationships are involved and circumstances dictate that situation. Look at all of the crimes of passion committed by otherwise "normal" individuals for example.

Agreed. I already acknowledged above that anyone is capable of impulsive behavior. Or for that matter, that anyone is capable of murder.

> >In the case of a fictional character it depends largely on how the writer establishes his/her creation. A behavior then becomes either consistent or inconsistent. If inconsistent, then reasons or possible reasons should in some form be in the script. Otherwise, any writer or critic could always claim that things don't need to make sense because "people do impulsive things sometimes."

> In this movie, the Frank character was written as a walking time bomb, a person uncomfortable in his own skin and a person who was not true to himself due to masking his core self and sexual desires. It wouldn't take much for a character like that to engage in impulsive behavior if he found himself in an emotionally charged situation which Frank did, i.e. he just saw his flesh and blood son involved with Lester in what he thought was a homosexual encounter. That triggered his impulsive behavior towards Lester(both the attempted kiss and the killing.) There is absolutely nothing odd about that particular character doing what he did. One could see and feel it coming IMO. You wouldn't make a very good shrink! *rolls eyes*

So now you fancy yourself a psychologist. Are you an astronaut too? How about an opera singer? I told you at the beginning of my last post that I'd forgotten about the father believing his son and Lester were involved, did I not? So berating me over that very thing makes no sense.

> > > I really enjoyed American Beauty and thought it was a beautiful piece of filmmaking from start to finish.

> > Yes, you make that clear on a regular basis. At least twice in this thread alone.

> Just like you also make it clear how much certain parts annoyed you or didn't sit well with you on a regular basis and at least a few times in this thread you mean? *rolls eyes*

Three or more times, hmm? I'm pretty sure not. In any case, you're overstating things. For the most part I like the film and think it deserved the Oscar it received that year. These are relatively small issues.

Gracchus

Sep 29, 2017, 9:56:44 PM9/29/17
If JD says it's BS, he knows what he's talking about. He isn't someone who speaks frivolously.

Court_1

Sep 29, 2017, 10:01:56 PM9/29/17
On Friday, September 29, 2017 at 9:49:31 PM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:

> > Whether you want to call it psychobabble or not, the father-son dynamic is a big part of the film and one of the main reasons Frank decided to act impulsively on his repressed feelings with Lester. Frank thinking his son was a homosexual (and hence a "true and free" extension of himself) pushed him over the edge. It's basic psych 101.
>
> No, it really isn't.

Oh yes, it is!

> It's Freudian psychology, which most modern psychologists regard with a very cynical eye. Stick to Canadian law.

No, they don't. What I've said is basic psychology. The father and son dynamic was a big part of that movie. Do I really have to explain that to you? It's obvious.

I majored in psychology before I got into law school. I have an Honors B.A. in psych.

> So now you fancy yourself a psychologist. Are you an astronaut too? How about an opera singer? I told you at the beginning of my last post that I'd forgotten about the father believing his son and Lester were involved, did I not? So berating me over that very thing makes no sense.

I'm not berating you over it. I'm saying that Frank doing what he did was not strange IMO given how his character was written and set up throughout the movie. He was a walking time bomb.

> > Just like you also make it clear how much certain parts annoyed you or didn't sit well with you on a regular basis and at least a few times in this thread you mean? *rolls eyes*
>
> Three or more times, hmm? I'm pretty sure not.

Yes, three times at least in this thread so get off your high horse.

>In any case, you're overstating things. For the most part I like the film and think it deserved the Oscar it received that year. These are relatively small issues.

Ok, that's good.

Court_1

Sep 29, 2017, 10:04:49 PM9/29/17
Oh yes, that convinces me! *rolls eyes*

He doesn't speak frivolously unless he's antagonizing you about your meat-eating habits and right to talk about the harming of animals. LOL.

Gracchus

Sep 29, 2017, 11:59:36 PM9/29/17
He was just having a bad day. :)

TT

Sep 30, 2017, 8:22:49 AM9/30/17
Court_1 kirjoitti 30.9.2017 klo 4:36:
>> Sad ending. Varinia (Jean Simmons) with their baby must leave Spartacus crucified on side of the road. Final image is a road with Spartacus and his slave army hanging on crosses along the road. The cruelty of man.
> Oh yes. Good movie and ending. But does it deserve a spot on a most memorable list? ???? I don't know if I've ever seen that movie on any of those lists?

That's a problem with those lists then, not the ending really. The
ending of Spartacus is strong.

Have you seen 'The Robe' on those lists? I think super impressive ending
in many aspects, yet a film which rarely would get on such a list simply
because modern film fans don't know the film.

Here's the ending for The Robe:

(SPOILER: .. they are walking to their death; they chose being crucified
over abandoning their faith.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLwIc7us9mQ
(Notice similarity with The Graduate ending...)

> Good job! Can people comment on List Challenges? If so what have people commented about your list or what are they saying on FB about it?

Yes they can but it's not working well/used much. Would need some kind
of forum I think. Then again I can always post the list on film forum
and discuss it there... oops, I mean tennis forum of course. :)

Now at 5400 users. I guess the topic of endings is just something which
gets people interested. The amount of users often doesn't reflect
quality of the list... one of the most popular lists is about Korean
drama (read: Korean soap for teens, with really pretty actors). I
haven't seen a single film on that list, or even heard of one. Full
0/100 seen and proud of it.

http://www.listchallenges.com/top-korean-dramas-must-watch

bob

Sep 30, 2017, 8:54:46 AM9/30/17
your idol silverman is absolutely freaked out over it all. her
convention speech was so smug, so belittling - then bam - hit by a
runaway train!

bob

Gracchus

Sep 30, 2017, 10:52:55 AM9/30/17
Remember C1's reactions on election night? Disbelief followed by outrage and then something like, "This actually could be good for me and my family." Now we're back to outrage.

Regarding Silverman, her behavior at the 2016 convention is now her legacy. That's just as well since she won't have any other legacy.

TT

Sep 30, 2017, 11:20:52 AM9/30/17
Gracchus kirjoitti 30.9.2017 klo 17:52:
> Regarding Silverman, her behavior at the 2016 convention is now her legacy.

Behaviour? What behaviour...

She was completely correct on what she said and behaved like the only
adult in the room. In retrospect even more so...

Gracchus

Sep 30, 2017, 11:49:11 AM9/30/17
If she wanted to turn on a dime and become a despicable Clintonite, that's her personal choice. But presuming she had status that entitled her to dictate the same to Sanders' supporters is entirely another thing. Silverman isn't any form of political or social leader and never was. She's just an annoying, piss-poor, unfunny comedian who should have kept her mouth shut and cast her own vote.

Employing her in this way is also symptomatic of the Clinton campaign's (and DNC's) arrogance. They could have swept up many more Sanders supporters with any number of gestures that had political weight to them. Instead, as with so many other times they banked on celebrity power. Must have been listening to the Russians.

bob

Sep 30, 2017, 12:43:16 PM9/30/17
On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 07:52:53 -0700 (PDT), Gracchus
<grac...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 5:54:46 AM UTC-7, bob wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Sep 2017 18:49:26 -0700 (PDT), Court_1
>> <olymp...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> >Oh yes, it's really funny that a psycho is in charge! *rolls eyes* What a sense of humor you have.
>>
>> your idol silverman is absolutely freaked out over it all. her
>> convention speech was so smug, so belittling - then bam - hit by a
>> runaway train!
>
>Remember C1's reactions on election night? Disbelief followed by outrage and then something like, "This actually could be good for me and my family." Now we're back to outrage.

C1 is following the stages of a traumatic event. acceptance may be
next. :-)

>Regarding Silverman, her behavior at the 2016 convention is now her legacy. That's just as well since she won't have any other legacy.

bob

bob

Sep 30, 2017, 12:46:54 PM9/30/17
On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 08:49:09 -0700 (PDT), Gracchus
<grac...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 8:20:52 AM UTC-7, TT wrote:
>> Gracchus kirjoitti 30.9.2017 klo 17:52:
>> > Regarding Silverman, her behavior at the 2016 convention is now her legacy.
>>
>> Behaviour? What behaviour...
>>
>> She was completely correct on what she said and behaved like the only
>> adult in the room. In retrospect even more so...
>
>If she wanted to turn on a dime and become a despicable Clintonite, that's her personal choice. But presuming she had status that entitled her to dictate the same to Sanders' supporters is entirely another thing.

spot on! and they chastized sarandon who dared to keep her
convictions.

> Silverman isn't any form of political or social leader and never was. She's just an annoying, piss-poor, unfunny comedian who should have kept her mouth shut and cast her own vote.
>Employing her in this way is also symptomatic of the Clinton campaign's (and DNC's) arrogance. They could have swept up many more Sanders supporters with any number of gestures that had political weight to them. Instead, as with so many other times they banked on celebrity power. Must have been listening to the Russians.

hillary's book pretty much sums up why the clintons/DNC wouldn't even
throw bernie a crumb: they hate his guts and blame him partly for the
defeat.

go bernie!

bob

bob

Sep 30, 2017, 12:47:30 PM9/30/17
On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 18:21:00 +0300, TT <as...@dprk.kp> wrote:

>Gracchus kirjoitti 30.9.2017 klo 17:52:
>> Regarding Silverman, her behavior at the 2016 convention is now her legacy.
>
>Behaviour? What behaviour...

you've got a short memory.

bob

Gracchus

Sep 30, 2017, 1:17:24 PM9/30/17
They cut off their their nose to spite their face because they never understood that it was never about Bernie Sanders. Bernie resonated with millions of disenfranchised Democrats and Independents sick to death of what the party had become and the candidates it was (pre)selecting. So instead of being inclusive at the convention, the Clintons/DNC kept treating any non-Clintonite as an unneeded adversary. After all, they had the luxury of rejecting the "disloyal" because there would be more than enough votes to ensure election without these impudent upstarts--so they thought anyway.

Anyway, I'm feeling bad that this thread is turning into a political one. That's disrespectful to Leo.

Court_1

Sep 30, 2017, 1:53:36 PM9/30/17
On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 10:52:55 AM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:

> Remember C1's reactions on election night? Disbelief followed by outrage and then something like, "This actually could be good for me and my family." Now we're back to outrage.
>
> Regarding Silverman, her behavior at the 2016 convention is now her legacy. That's just as well since she won't have any other legacy.

It may be good for me economically but I can't stand Trump's character. Never could and never will. I can't stand Mike Pence either for other reasons.

As for Silverman, she did nothing wrong. She was a Sanders supporter and when she knew Sanders definitely had no chance she went with Clinton and told the Bernie or bust supporters they were being ridiculous with their continued Bernie fervor. It's not her fault many of the US citizens were ignoramuses who believed Trump would come to their rescue. He doesn't give two shits about working class people.

If anybody dares to criticize Bernie or his supporters, you become deranged.

Court_1

Sep 30, 2017, 1:59:14 PM9/30/17
On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 11:20:52 AM UTC-4, TT wrote:

> and behaved like the only
> adult in the room.

Exactly. Unlike some of these RST posters throwing their toys out of their prams if somebody dares admit the obvious that the Bernie supporters were acting like petulant children once Bernie was officially out. Move the fark on and stop ranting like that fool Susan Sarandon! She's definitely missing a full deck.

Court_1

Sep 30, 2017, 2:24:46 PM9/30/17
Ok, I have a project for you. Give me a list of 10 very good films(in your opinion) that most people probably haven't seen or don't know about.

Guypers

Sep 30, 2017, 2:34:45 PM9/30/17
Bernie, LOL, whi would leave NY to go to Vermont?

TT

Sep 30, 2017, 2:39:26 PM9/30/17
Gracchus kirjoitti 30.9.2017 klo 18:49:
> On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 8:20:52 AM UTC-7, TT wrote:
>> Gracchus kirjoitti 30.9.2017 klo 17:52:
>>> Regarding Silverman, her behavior at the 2016 convention is now her legacy.
>>
>> Behaviour? What behaviour...
>>
>> She was completely correct on what she said and behaved like the only
>> adult in the room. In retrospect even more so...
>
> If she wanted to turn on a dime and become a despicable Clintonite, that's her personal choice. But presuming she had status that entitled her to dictate the same to Sanders' supporters is entirely another thing. Silverman isn't any form of political or social leader and never was. She's just an annoying, piss-poor, unfunny comedian who should have kept her mouth shut and cast her own vote.
>
> Employing her in this way is also symptomatic of the Clinton campaign's (and DNC's) arrogance. They could have swept up many more Sanders supporters

"Sanders supporters" lol

...you mean those tree hugging hippies demonstrating at the event due to
Russian DNC hack. Well that Kremlin plan worked well.

TT

Sep 30, 2017, 3:08:39 PM9/30/17
Exactly sir... ma'am.

Gracchus

Sep 30, 2017, 4:08:32 PM9/30/17
Anyone at odds with your politics automatically is crazy. You don't seem to notice this pattern somehow. Sarandon, Richard Gere, etc. I don't agree with Sarandon on everything myself, such as her anti-death penalty stance. But it doesn't matter because she's true to her principles instead of going this way and that depending on the political climate or others' reactions. IMO that alone is something worthy of respect.

Your "move on" comment is ironic considering what those candidates are doing now. What's the name of Hillary's book--"Look What Happened to Poor Little Me"?

Gracchus

Sep 30, 2017, 4:12:15 PM9/30/17
You and the Russians. Talk about "crazy." Next you'll be telling us Putin is lurking under your floorboards.

grif

Sep 30, 2017, 4:46:15 PM9/30/17
On 29/09/2017 22:49, TT wrote:
> grif kirjoitti 30.9.2017 klo 0:27:

>>> Nice forced back rank mate, mate. Saw the whole combo in one minute or so.

>>> This took a while, but got it right on 1st try.
>>>
>>> Thought a bit on 1st move, considered check with the queen.
>>> (can't really do it because black's king can run, queen interfere etc)
>>>
>>> 2nd move took some time as well, then saw that queen sacrifice was the only way to go.
>>>
>>> Then solved rest of the puzzle mentally after 5th move (first knight move), saw how the mate is done... neat puzzle!
>>
>> 👏🏻
>>
>> Where is "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" on your list ? 😮
>>

> :)
>
> Saving it for the next list... it's going to be #1 on 2016, 2015, 2014... it's that good! Had really hard time keeping it off my 80s films list as well.
>

>> What happens at the end of "The Entity" ? I've seen it but can't remember the ending.
>>

> "THE ENTITY 1982" SPOILER - do not fucking read further
>
> The ending is pure legend... the viewer thinks that Barbara Hershey might have gotten rid of the entity... she comes home, door slams shut and creepy deep voice of the entity says "Welcome home, cunt!".
>
>> "The Cincinnati Kid" is an interesting entry. The version I saw had The Kid run into his girlfriend, Christian, again. I didn't like this ending as I felt it diluted what happened before. The following ending where they just cut that part out is the better one.
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI6pSkIs_tc
>
> I don't think I saw that ending. The version I've seen Kid loses in cards, goes out and then loses to little black kid on coin tossing as well.
> ...yeah, that's the one. "You just ain't ready for me yet".

Some other memorable film endings for me:

L'Atalante (it's a bit dated, but I'll always remember the ending of this one. The end of "L'Atalante" is as cathartic and joyful as the end of "Bicycle Thieves" is crushingly dispiriting)
Dead Poets Society (captain, my captain! Sit down, Mr Anderson!)
Spoorloos (confined spaces are not my thing)
Breakfast at Tiffany's (two drifters and a cat, off to see the world)
Enemy (WTF to the nth power)
The Mist (patience is a virtue)
The Wailing (supernatural wtfuckery)

TT

Sep 30, 2017, 4:58:44 PM9/30/17
Court_1 kirjoitti 30.9.2017 klo 21:24:
> Ok, I have a project for you. Give me a list of 10 very good films(in your opinion) that most people probably haven't seen or don't know about.

Good project. :)

I'd probably have to think it more, maybe make a list for 10 most
underrated/forgotten for each decade...

Some that come to mind:

Birds in Peru (1968)
...Sexy art film with Jean Seberg. I was able to find this only a month
ago or so, it was nowhere to be found and thought to be perhaps a lost
film. Now it's on youtube, although the picture quality is not that good
especially considering it's a visually beautiful film. To my surprise I
had seen it before. Also somewhat similar Italian Seberg picture 'Dead
of Summer (1970)'.

Cross of Love (1946)
...Finnish over the top drama film which I think beats visually best in
the world from that era.

Summer of '42 (1971)
...Thanks for the recommendation!

Little Fauss and Big Halsy (1970)
...Very good offbeat 70s gen Robet Redford film which I think last time
came from television in early 90s here. Under 1000 votes at IMDB!

Red Rover 2000
...Nice overlooked ghost story.

Victors (1963)

The Man in the Glass Booth (1975)

Queen of the Gypsies (1976)
...One of the best musicals ever. Decorated at the time but strangely
forgotten recently.

Elvira Madigan, Letter Never Sent etc...

-

Or maybe something like this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69dJcpCQgyg

TT

Sep 30, 2017, 5:09:23 PM9/30/17
Wasn't it exactly Russian hacks which made Sanders supporters angry at
DNC/Hillary...

So not only were these die hard Bernie supporters childish but they were
also pulled by the strings of Kremlin. What a bunch of damn morons.

TT

Sep 30, 2017, 5:15:43 PM9/30/17
I think pretty normal nice ending.

> this one. The end of "L'Atalante" is as cathartic and joyful as the end
> of "Bicycle Thieves" is crushingly dispiriting)
> Dead Poets Society (captain, my captain! Sit down, Mr Anderson!)
> Spoorloos (confined spaces are not my thing)

Yeah, it's good. I don't remember visually the exact ending though, only
the concept.

> Breakfast at Tiffany's (two drifters and a cat, off to see the world)

I've forgotten.

> Enemy (WTF to the nth power)

Yeah, that could/should've made the list.

Guypers

Sep 30, 2017, 5:39:06 PM9/30/17
On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 5:09:23 PM UTC-4, TT wrote:
> Gracchus kirjoitti 30.9.2017 klo 23:12:

> >> "Sanders supporters" lol
> >>
> >> ...you mean those tree hugging hippies demonstrating at the event due to
> >> Russian DNC hack. Well that Kremlin plan worked well.
> >
> > You and the Russians. Talk about "crazy." Next you'll be telling us Putin is lurking under your floorboards.
> >

> Wasn't it exactly Russian hacks which made Sanders supporters angry at
> DNC/Hillary...
>
> So not only were these die hard Bernie supporters childish but they were
> also pulled by the strings of Kremlin. What a bunch of damn morons.

Thanks to Bernie we have the crooked orange clown, swamp man, tax cheat, pussyy grabber, golfing in NJ when people are starving in PR! Trash can

TT

Sep 30, 2017, 6:06:43 PM9/30/17
:)

TT

Sep 30, 2017, 6:08:32 PM9/30/17
...I can feel your pain. Thank god he's not my president.

Gracchus

Sep 30, 2017, 6:32:46 PM9/30/17
On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 2:09:23 PM UTC-7, TT wrote:
> Gracchus kirjoitti 30.9.2017 klo 23:12:

> > You and the Russians. Talk about "crazy." Next you'll be telling us Putin is lurking under your floorboards.

> Wasn't it exactly Russian hacks which made Sanders supporters angry at
> DNC/Hillary...

You mean the hacks that exposed the DNC's corruption? The hilarious part there is that the Russians didn't need to fabricate anything. Their great evil was revealing the truth.

> So not only were these die hard Bernie supporters childish but they were
> also pulled by the strings of Kremlin. What a bunch of damn morons.

I can see you're still carrying a torch for Hillary. Maybe you can share your feelings if she brings her book tour to Finland. "Hillary, they were so unfair to you. I'm sure it's all because you're a woman!"

TT

Sep 30, 2017, 6:52:21 PM9/30/17
Gracchus kirjoitti 1.10.2017 klo 1:32:
> On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 2:09:23 PM UTC-7, TT wrote:
>> Gracchus kirjoitti 30.9.2017 klo 23:12:
>
>>> You and the Russians. Talk about "crazy." Next you'll be telling us Putin is lurking under your floorboards.
>
>> Wasn't it exactly Russian hacks which made Sanders supporters angry at
>> DNC/Hillary...
>
> You mean the hacks that exposed the DNC's corruption? The hilarious part there is that the Russians didn't need to fabricate anything. Their great evil was revealing the truth.

But only from one side.
You think there wasn't MUCH bigger skeletons in RNC/Trump's closet which
Russia knew about...

Gracchus

Sep 30, 2017, 7:47:14 PM9/30/17
Probably, but so what? The fact remains that they revealed facts and not an invention or distortion. Besides, the DNC were idiots to not conceal their dirty machinations better. They too no doubt had bigger skeletons the Russians never accessed.

Reminds me of a guy once who ran an Internet warez site and was crying foul to the world that some rival STOLE his pages for their own site. :)

After all, the USA is doing and has been doing the same kind of thing in foreign countries for ages. These days it's hacking, and before the computer age it was traditional espionage.

TT

Sep 30, 2017, 8:35:58 PM9/30/17
Gracchus kirjoitti 1.10.2017 klo 2:47:
> On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 3:52:21 PM UTC-7, TT wrote:
>> Gracchus kirjoitti 1.10.2017 klo 1:32:

>>> You mean the hacks that exposed the DNC's corruption? The hilarious part there is that the Russians didn't need to fabricate anything. Their great evil was revealing the truth.
>>>

>> But only from one side.
>> You think there wasn't MUCH bigger skeletons in RNC/Trump's closet which
>> Russia knew about...
>
> Probably, but so what? The fact remains that they revealed facts and not an invention or distortion.

Man walks down the street on his way to voting booth, he hasn't decided
yet which candidate to vote. Putin stands in street corner. They
exchange hellos and Putin shows the man a picture of other candidate
urinating on the street. Man says: "Disgusting! thanks Vladimir, now I
know who to vote!". Putin waves the man goodbye, smiling, holding in his
other hand a picture of the other candidate raping a groundhog.

The man gives his vote to a groundhog rapist.
It is loading more messages.