Confused about Venus and her fatigue illness

The Iceberg

Jul 13, 2017, 10:09:43 AM7/13/17
Was all the stuff about Venus having some kind of fatigue mono like illness just more fake news last year? cos she doesn't seem to be having any problems this year, anyone know?

soccerfan777

Jul 13, 2017, 10:35:57 AM7/13/17
On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 9:09:43 AM UTC-5, The Iceberg wrote:
> Was all the stuff about Venus having some kind of fatigue mono like illness just more fake news last year? cos she doesn't seem to be having any problems this year, anyone know?

Venus is like three leagues above Konta. She could beat Konta while comatose.

The Iceberg

Jul 13, 2017, 10:46:17 AM7/13/17
hmm where'd the fatigue thing go?

The Iceberg

Jul 13, 2017, 10:57:41 AM7/13/17
On Thursday, 13 July 2017 15:35:57 UTC+1, soccerfan777 wrote:
LOL must be why Konta had 2 break points to go 5-4 up in the 1st set. Shame fake-fatigue Venus lucked out in the next game.

soccerfan777

Jul 13, 2017, 11:02:33 AM7/13/17
You just dont understand tennis. There is nothing in Konta's game to harm Venus. Venus has to be pretty poor to lose to a loser like Konta. Everything about Konta's game is measured. She is not free-flowing. When she does try to hit a free flowing shot it goes miles outside the baseline. She has like 0 natural talent. Her serve is decent though - Courier like.

RaspingDrive

Jul 13, 2017, 12:48:39 PM7/13/17
On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 10:09:43 AM UTC-4, The Iceberg wrote:
> Was all the stuff about Venus having some kind of fatigue mono like illness just more fake news last year? cos she doesn't seem to be having any problems this year, anyone know?

Wasn't that three or four years ago? Perhaps she has recovered from the ailment.

calim...@gmx.de

Jul 13, 2017, 1:10:02 PM7/13/17
Players like Konta wouldn't have been top 20 in the 90s.
It is as simple as that.

Max

The Iceberg

Jul 13, 2017, 3:57:11 PM7/13/17
if you'd watched it, you'd see Konta was using pretty good tactics to disarm Venus, but since you've NEVER played tennis yourself you wouldn't get this.
Venus got lucky when virtual set point down and then Konta got nervous closing out the set, that's what happened. Once that happened it allowed Venus to take charge.
Anyways, my question is about Venus' alleged fatigue thing - where has that gone? or was this just more dumb journos talking utter lies and fake news?

The Iceberg

Jul 13, 2017, 4:00:47 PM7/13/17
oh yes Anna Kournikova was top 10 in the 90's.

pltrgyst

Jul 13, 2017, 4:20:52 PM7/13/17
On 7/13/17 10:09 AM, The Iceberg wrote:
> Was all the stuff about Venus having some kind of fatigue mono like illness just more fake news last year? cos she doesn't seem to be having any problems this year, anyone know?

Venus has Sjögren's Syndrome. It doesn't go away, ever. She's managing
it exceptionally well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sj%C3%B6gren%27s_syndrome

We have a tennis-playing friend here in FL who has Sjogren's. It's a
miserable affliction. Anyone who can compete at a world level with
Sjogren's is amazing -- and I've only heard of one such person.

-- Larry

Brian W Lawrence

Jul 13, 2017, 4:34:30 PM7/13/17
What's their H2H score?

---

Brian W Lawrence

Jul 13, 2017, 4:46:53 PM7/13/17
Pain and fatigue are symptoms of SjS, but they are not permanent. Once
diagnosed, immunosuppressant drugs can prevent them recurring with any
frequency.

<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/02/sports/tennis/2011-us-open-venus-williams-describes-fights-with-fatigue.html?ref=tennis>

PeteWasLucky

Jul 13, 2017, 4:47:50 PM7/13/17
> , but since you've NEVER played tennis yourself you wouldn't get this.

Hahaha, icey plays tennis, lol

calim...@gmx.de

Jul 13, 2017, 4:49:04 PM7/13/17
So?

Max

The Iceberg

Jul 14, 2017, 4:56:21 AM7/14/17
well you said Konta wouldn't have been in the top 20 in the 90's, I was just pointing out Kournikova was top TEN in the 90's, you know, just a little side fact for you there. lol

Brian W Lawrence

Jul 14, 2017, 7:29:52 AM7/14/17
No she wasn't. She broke into the top 10 in Nov 2000, and was seeded #8
for Australia 2001 (QF). The following month (Feb 2001) she was
sidelined by a stress-fracture in her foot. By August she had
dropped out of the top 10, and ended the year at #74.

The Iceberg

Jul 14, 2017, 8:15:34 AM7/14/17
what was her highest ranking in the 90's?

The Iceberg

Jul 14, 2017, 8:16:42 AM7/14/17
she's managing it so well she's got to a Wimbledon final at the age of 37 and showed no signs whatsoever of it, in any of her matches.

Brian W Lawrence

Jul 14, 2017, 10:50:59 AM7/14/17
Not sure of actual WTA rankings, but she was seeded at several slams
in '98-99.

1998 FRA (13), WIM (12), USA (15)
1999 AUS (12), WIM (17)

Her YE ranking in 1998 was 13 and it was 12 in 1999. So probably 12,
which is not far from top 10.

Some newspapers mentioned Venus, Hingis & Kournikova as the new young
stars - the tennis Spice Girls!

calim...@gmx.de

Jul 14, 2017, 2:45:13 PM7/14/17
But what has that to do with the Hungaro-Australian chick?

Max

The Iceberg

Jul 15, 2017, 3:46:18 AM7/15/17
well there you go, hey Max! Anna Kournikova was top 15 in the 90's.

The Iceberg

Jul 15, 2017, 3:47:04 AM7/15/17
heheh they were on my wall! thanks for the stats too.

calim...@gmx.de

Jul 15, 2017, 6:39:50 AM7/15/17
Would be top 3 today.

Max