OT: for movie buffs

Guypers

Jun 12, 2017, 4:45:57 PM6/12/17
What is the best death scene from your favorite movie?
Mine is the bloody death in Aliens!

grif

Jun 12, 2017, 4:58:07 PM6/12/17
On 12/06/2017 21:45, Guypers wrote:
> What is the best death scene from your favorite movie?
> Mine is the bloody death in Aliens!

Do you mean from the first film in the franchise, "Alien" ?

I read about the influence of HP Lovecraft in films like "Alien" and "The Thing". Pretty interesting.
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/18189/hp-lovecraft-and-his-lasting-impact-on-cinema

calim...@gmx.de

Jun 12, 2017, 4:58:20 PM6/12/17
On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 10:45:57 PM UTC+2, Guypers wrote:
> What is the best death scene from your favorite movie?
> Mine is the bloody death in Aliens!

My favorite movie has no death scenes.

Max

Gracchus

Jun 12, 2017, 5:37:12 PM6/12/17
:) He could have phrased the question better.

Guypers

Jun 12, 2017, 5:49:58 PM6/12/17
Yes, Alien, no I meant it, but can change to best death scene in any movie you have seen?

calim...@gmx.de

Jun 12, 2017, 6:09:40 PM6/12/17
The "best" death scene?
The most touching is the final scene of "United 93". Because it could have been us.

Max

TT

Jun 12, 2017, 6:29:01 PM6/12/17
Guypers kirjoitti 12.6.2017 klo 23:45:
> What is the best death scene from your favorite movie?
> Mine is the bloody death in Aliens!

That and one from Psycho are legendary.

But first one that came to mind was:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbX1ZIuD0ac

I especially like the final touch with a knife.

grif

Jun 12, 2017, 6:43:20 PM6/12/17
Don't really have a favourite, but there've been some memorable death scenes (spoilers):

Scanners
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy6I9ydBSWc

Enter the Dragon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpu_lTDyd88

Bonnie and Clyde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrmUpso_xT8

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhW0IO6Gk2Y

Blade Runner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QefqJ7YhbWQ

Gracchus

Jun 12, 2017, 6:50:07 PM6/12/17
On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 3:43:20 PM UTC-7, grif wrote:

> Bonnie and Clyde
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrmUpso_xT8

Which in turn inspired Sonny Corleone's death scene...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrv1roq_gBw

> Blade Runner
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QefqJ7YhbWQ

Yeah, good work by Hauer.

Shakes

Jun 12, 2017, 6:53:32 PM6/12/17
On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 3:43:20 PM UTC-7, grif wrote:
> On 12/06/2017 23:09, calim...@gmx.de wrote:

> >> Yes, Alien, no I meant it, but can change to best death scene in any movie you have seen?
> >

> > The "best" death scene?
> > The most touching is the final scene of "United 93". Because it could have been us.
> >
> > Max
> >

> Don't really have a favourite, but there've been some memorable death scenes (spoilers):

How about Bruce Lee vs. Chuck Norris in "Way of the Dragon" ?

Gracchus

Jun 12, 2017, 6:55:57 PM6/12/17
Yeah, I just watched that clip too. The fight itself is a martial arts classic. The death more of a footnote.

grif

Jun 12, 2017, 7:04:44 PM6/12/17
Yeah, I originally put that in as well as "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid". In the end, I took them out.

TT

Jun 12, 2017, 7:05:07 PM6/12/17
Gracchus kirjoitti 13.6.2017 klo 1:55:
> The death more of a footnote.

I assume no pun intended.

bob

Jun 12, 2017, 7:22:57 PM6/12/17
On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 23:43:17 +0100, grif <griff...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
one of my favorite and one of my favorite sci fi movies.

bob

Shakes

Jun 12, 2017, 7:23:55 PM6/12/17
Probably the only time Chuck Norris played the villain ?

Shakes

Jun 12, 2017, 7:51:33 PM6/12/17
Also, Bruce Lee had a fantastic physique. He was relatively small framed, but you always got the feeling that he was tough and was not to be messed with.

Shakes

Jun 12, 2017, 7:57:49 PM6/12/17
On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 3:29:01 PM UTC-7, TT wrote:

> But first one that came to mind was:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbX1ZIuD0ac
>
> I especially like the final touch with a knife.

Do you like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA7J0KkanzM&t=1m03s ? Or too cheesy ?

Court_1

Jun 12, 2017, 8:10:11 PM6/12/17
There are so many but a couple off the top of my head:

1) Frankenstein (1931) When the Monster picks up the little girl, throws her in the water and she drowns. Not gory in any way but chilling and memorable.

2) The Wizard of Oz (1939) The Wicked Witch melting after a bucket of water was thrown on her. Come on, was there anything more memorable in the history of cinema than that scene? If you are a kid watching that it will be etched in your mind forever.

3) Many Hitchcock films have good death scenes but two that stand out are obviously the shower scene in Psycho(1960) and although Torn Curtain(1966) is not one of Hitchcock`s best films, it has one of the most notable death scenes when Paul Newman`s character sticks the German agent`s head in an oven.

4) The Wicker Man (1973) The policeman being burned alive and consumed by flames in a ritualistic sacrifice ceremony.

5) Jaws (1975) Many of the shark attacks such as the opening scene when the woman is skinny dipping I think? Then the shark attack of Robert Shaw's character when he was on the boat and bitten in half by the Great White. Finally, the death scene of the shark itself where the shark exploded and shark parts were flying everywhere.

6) Bugsy (1991) When Bugsy was sitting in his home watching a movie reel of himself and he was shot violently multiple times in the back of the head.

7) The Fly (1986) When Jeff Goldblum's character was mutating into a human fly and he begged his girlfriend to shoot him.

Gracchus

Jun 12, 2017, 8:11:37 PM6/12/17
On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 5:10:11 PM UTC-7, Court_1 wrote:

> 4) The Wicker Man (1973) The policeman being burned alive and consumed by flames in a ritualistic sacrifice ceremony.

Memorable indeed.

Court_1

Jun 12, 2017, 8:12:13 PM6/12/17
On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 6:43:20 PM UTC-4, grif wrote:

> Bonnie and Clyde
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrmUpso_xT8

Yes, that's a vivid and great one.

bob

Jun 12, 2017, 8:20:52 PM6/12/17
On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 13:45:56 -0700 (PDT), Guypers <gap...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>What is the best death scene from your favorite movie?
>Mine is the bloody death in Aliens!

not a movie, but i loved the scene in breaking bad when walt white
called lydia to ask how she was "feeling" after meeting for tea.

bob

Guypers

Jun 12, 2017, 8:37:31 PM6/12/17

Court_1

Jun 12, 2017, 8:54:27 PM6/12/17
A jarring death scene I've recently seen was the massacre of Stan Wawrinka at the hands of Nadal in the AO 2017 final. Three easy sets which Bob said if occurred he would admit he read the situation wrong. Isn't that right Bob? Waiting for you to back up your own words and show us you have some decency.

bob

Jun 12, 2017, 10:45:08 PM6/12/17
On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 17:54:26 -0700 (PDT), Court_1
<olymp...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>A jarring death scene I've recently seen was the massacre of Stan Wawrinka at the hands of Nadal in the AO 2017 final. Three easy sets which Bob said if occurred he would admit he read the situation wrong. Isn't that right Bob? Waiting for you to back up your own words and show us you have some decency.

i already admitted 2-3 times i was wrong about the lopsided match. but
i never said stan was the fave, in said the opposite straight through.

bob

Manuel aka Xax

Jun 13, 2017, 8:29:28 AM6/13/17
Yep, quite possibly :-)
Remembering death scenes is far from how I "rank" movie !

Blade Runner is my favorite movie

As you all know (I guess, if not hope !) they are few killings.

All of them are either disturbing (shooting in the back, saved by someone else being shot in the head, doll "mercy" finish) and force you to consider death (not just witness it, and quickly switch to something else) ; or simply delicate and deeply human like Roy's demise after having saved Deckard. (and sublimely filmed, acted, soundtracked, etc)

Right now I can't think of anything else.

On the "scary" and/or "gore" part, The Thing introduced quite stunning scenes too (a very, very good movie, btw).
Not from a movie, yet I've downloaded the Fortitude serie, and it is quite something too.
I won't spoil, and only encourage you to watch this icy thriller, it is well worth it.

The Iceberg

Jun 13, 2017, 9:30:24 AM6/13/17
Goodfellas!!! Those death scenes were nuts!!

The Iceberg

Jun 13, 2017, 9:31:04 AM6/13/17
This is a good list, have to say, Raja should've written it!

The Iceberg

Jun 13, 2017, 9:32:10 AM6/13/17
Inglorious Basterds had that crazy death scene! Machine gunning Hitler and everyone else!

grif

Jun 13, 2017, 3:16:39 PM6/13/17
On 13/06/2017 01:10, Court_1 wrote:
> There are so many but a couple off the top of my head:
>
> 1) Frankenstein (1931) When the Monster picks up the little girl, throws her in the water and she drowns. Not gory in any way but chilling and memorable.
>
> 2) The Wizard of Oz (1939) The Wicked Witch melting after a bucket of water was thrown on her. Come on, was there anything more memorable in the history of cinema than that scene? If you are a kid watching that it will be etched in your mind forever.

What about the death of Bambi's mom ? Maybe this was when you discovered your lack of empathy for animals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sCqMEkgLIw

grif

Jun 13, 2017, 3:32:57 PM6/13/17
On 13/06/2017 13:29, Manuel aka Xax wrote:
> Le lundi 12 juin 2017 23:37:12 UTC+2, Gracchus a écrit :
>>>

>>> My favorite movie has no death scenes.
>>
>> :) He could have phrased the question better.
>
> Yep, quite possibly :-)
> Remembering death scenes is far from how I "rank" movie !
>

> Blade Runner is my favorite movie
>
> As you all know (I guess, if not hope !) they are few killings.
>
> All of them are either disturbing (shooting in the back, saved by someone else being shot in the head, doll "mercy" finish) and force you to consider death (not just witness it, and quickly switch to something else) ; or simply delicate and deeply human like Roy's demise after having saved Deckard. (and sublimely filmed, acted, soundtracked, etc)

Came across some of these amusing comments about "Blade Runner" (oddly enough, I was searching for Kong at the time):
Icey rubbishing another sci fi film:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.sport.tennis/CtygRilMlT8/uaQbSFs0EtwJ

TT stating that he was allergic to film noir:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.sport.tennis/CtygRilMlT8/vIlysWGZ2oYJ

"Game of Thrones" is of course notorious for many infamous death scenes. This one is probably the most well known:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q8usgQM4jg

TT

Jun 13, 2017, 5:19:12 PM6/13/17
grif kirjoitti 13.6.2017 klo 22:32:
> TT stating that he was allergic to film noir:
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.sport.tennis/CtygRilMlT8/vIlysWGZ2oYJ

The nurse placed a VHS tape of The Maltese Falcon on my forehead and
then pushed my arm downwards, there was no resistance.

But apparently the test result was wrong since currently film-noir is my
highest rated 'genre' at IMDB.

I found later that the VHS actually contained the director's cut of
Bringing up Baby. The extra material contains Hepburn giving a fellatio
to Grant's character while two cougars prowl in the vicinity.

TT

Jun 13, 2017, 5:24:15 PM6/13/17
Very good. Indy has lots of amusing death scenes.

TT

Jun 13, 2017, 5:25:08 PM6/13/17
Court_1 kirjoitti 13.6.2017 klo 3:54:
> A jarring death scene I've recently seen was the massacre of Stan Wawrinka at the hands of Nadal in the AO 2017 final.

Two thumbs up for the answer.

TT

Jun 13, 2017, 5:28:07 PM6/13/17
Court_1 kirjoitti 13.6.2017 klo 3:10:
> 4) The Wicker Man (1973)

Yeah, that's pretty damn good.

TT

Jun 13, 2017, 5:34:57 PM6/13/17
P.S. You have chosen wisely.

Court_1

Jun 13, 2017, 6:18:44 PM6/13/17
You know what? I don't think I've ever seen the whole Bambi movie(only parts of the movie.) I need to watch it.

grif

Jun 13, 2017, 6:19:25 PM6/13/17
Lol, yeah it's funny how people's tastes change over time.

Gracchus

Jun 13, 2017, 6:26:28 PM6/13/17
On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 5:29:28 AM UTC-7, Manuel aka Xax wrote:

> On the "scary" and/or "gore" part, The Thing introduced quite stunning scenes too (a very, very good movie, btw).
> Not from a movie, yet I've downloaded the Fortitude serie, and it is quite something too.
> I won't spoil, and only encourage you to watch this icy thriller, it is well worth it.

I watch a lot of Nordic Noir. "Fortitude" is similar in style, so I watched a couple of eps when it came on. The characters put me off, but maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. If you like that one, maybe give the Icelandic "Trapped" a look too.

grif

Jun 13, 2017, 7:12:54 PM6/13/17
Who are you kidding ? Watching animation is out of your comfort zone :p

Gracchus

Jun 13, 2017, 7:19:53 PM6/13/17
Myself, I love animation--but only in the theater! Otherwise you're not really seeing it.

Court_1

Jun 13, 2017, 7:26:42 PM6/13/17
On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 7:12:54 PM UTC-4, grif wrote:

> > You know what? I don't think I've ever seen the whole Bambi movie(only parts of the movie.) I need to watch it.
> >

> Who are you kidding ? Watching animation is out of your comfort zone :p

No not at all. I said I wasn't that keen about watching Japanese animation. I'm fine with watching Disney classic animations for example. I adored Snow White, Cinderella, Aladdin and I've watched many others like Dumbo, Lady and the Tramp, Pinocchio, Beauty and the Beast, etc.

grif

Jun 13, 2017, 7:27:30 PM6/13/17
;)

So, what shows have you been watching ?

StephenJ

Jun 13, 2017, 7:30:55 PM6/13/17
On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 3:45:57 PM UTC-5, Guypers wrote:
> What is the best death scene from your favorite movie?
> Mine is the bloody death in Aliens!

Great question!

My favorite is the three-way draw among Blondie, Tuco, and Angel Eyes near the end of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. The buildup and release is just off the charts.

Gracchus

Jun 13, 2017, 7:39:32 PM6/13/17
Among other things, "Dark Matter," as discussed with JD yesterday. Finished the 3rd season of "12 Monkeys," started the new (and last) season of "Orphan Black." I watched 45 minutes of the new "Twin Peaks" and couldn't take anymore. No patience for Lynch's games. Then various documentaries, like "The Keepers" and one on Ray Harryhausen yesterday. June is kind of a lull time for new stuff. How about you? Any recommendations?

Shakes

Jun 13, 2017, 8:00:11 PM6/13/17
That is probably my most watched scene/movie. Never get bored watching that movie.

grif

Jun 13, 2017, 8:19:17 PM6/13/17
Ah, that's interesting. I'd been thinking about watching the new "Twin Peaks", but wasn't sure if I should.
What was the Ray Harryhausen doc called ? I'm a big fan of his.

I'm a bit hesitant to recommend it, because it is meandering a bit even though it's visually lush, but I've been watching "American Gods" based on Neil Gaiman's novel. I love legends, mythology, folklore, stuff like that so it appeals to me in that sense. I'm curious enough about it that I bought the novel yesterday as the library copy was out and there was a waiting list for it (the show only covers 1/3 of the book apparently). Maybe just watch the first episode ? Mind you, the first episode does have quite possibly the most WTF moment of the year in either film or tv that I've seen, so it's worth it for that at least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN_VRv0wOYA

Gracchus

Jun 13, 2017, 9:15:20 PM6/13/17
On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 5:19:17 PM UTC-7, grif wrote:
> On 14/06/2017 00:39, Gracchus wrote:
> > On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 4:27:30 PM UTC-7, grif wrote:

> >> So, what shows have you been watching ?

> > Among other things, "Dark Matter," as discussed with JD yesterday. Finished the 3rd season of "12 Monkeys," started the new (and last) season of "Orphan Black." I watched 45 minutes of the new "Twin Peaks" and couldn't take anymore. No patience for Lynch's games. Then various documentaries, like "The Keepers" and one on Ray Harryhausen yesterday. June is kind of a lull time for new stuff. How about you? Any recommendations?

> Ah, that's interesting. I'd been thinking about watching the new "Twin Peaks", but wasn't sure if I should.

I might try to watch more of it. It's something I was really looking forward to since I liked the original "Twin Peaks" so much. But those first 45 minutes reminded me of Andy Kaufman's old standup act where he'd open up "The Great Gatsby" and read it to the audience until they were ready to storm the stage. Supposedly the ep contains "Easter eggs" and such for real "Twin Peaks" diehards. I just don't have the patience for that stuff these days.

> What was the Ray Harryhausen doc called ? I'm a big fan of his.

It's called "Ray Harryhausen: Special Effects Titan."

> I'm a bit hesitant to recommend it, because it is meandering a bit even though it's visually lush, but I've been watching "American Gods" based on Neil Gaiman's novel. I love legends, mythology, folklore, stuff like that so it appeals to me in that sense. I'm curious enough about it that I bought the novel yesterday as the library copy was out and there was a waiting list for it (the show only covers 1/3 of the book apparently). Maybe just watch the first episode ? Mind you, the first episode does have quite possibly the most WTF moment of the year in either film or tv that I've seen, so it's worth it for that at least.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN_VRv0wOYA

Actually, I did watch the first ep of "American Gods" and it didn't grab me. I figured if I had read the book, maybe I'd have felt otherwise. But maybe I'll give it another try anyway.

grif

Jun 14, 2017, 12:19:53 PM6/14/17
Yeah, not everyone I've spoken to about the "American Gods" show could get into it either. At least you would have seen the scene (involving the Queen of Sheba) from the first episode that I was referring to - now that's not something that you see every day :D

I'm still undecided about watching the new "Twin Peaks", but I'll definitely check out the Harryhausen documentary.