Hillary Clinton joins the 'Trump resistance' by the BBC's Anthony Zurcher

lo yeeOn

May 3, 2017, 5:26:52 PM5/3/17
Hillary's Lament

Even as her supporters around these newsgroups have already vocally
admitted that Trump won the presidency - which may or may not be a
good thing and which is all up to him to get his hands soaked in
innocent blood - Hillary continues to brood:

It's the men, it's the misogynists. Russian men ... bad!

Xi is a phony... (though not necessarily in so many words).

And for me to break the glass ceiling, there are bound to be
misogynists running amok and are bent on ruining my chance.

And afterall, "I had to defend the president's policies and expand
on them!"

It's all good for the ears of Christiane Amanpour except that she
still doesn't have the hindsight to see that may be she lost because
many *did* vote for a woman in 2016, just not with the name of Hillary
Clinton!

How could any progressive-minded person not vote for a woman who would
denounce violence? Except Hillary is one of those who sowed violence
and felt no remorse about it. Would a rational person vote for a
certain person simply because it is a she and she would be the first
of a kind? Apparently not, which has become an emperical fact in the
annals of American history.

lo yeeOn

Hillary Clinton joins the 'Trump resistance'
Anthony Zurcher

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39788317

The election may be over, with Donald Trump's presidency more than 100
days old, but Hillary Clinton isn't ready to let go.

In a brief but frank interview with foreign affairs reporter
Christiane Amanpour at the Women for Women International event in New
York City on Tuesday, Mrs Clinton said that she has conducted an
"excruciating analysis" of her failed presidential campaign as part of
a book she is writing.

What has she learned? While admitting that she made mistakes and that
her campaign had "challenges", "problems" and "shortfalls", she
pointed the finger at two men - FBI Director James Comey and Russian
President Vladimir Putin - as the proximate cause of her defeat.

"I was on the way to winning until the combination of Jim Comey's
letter on October 28 and Russian Wikileaks raised doubts in the minds
of people who were inclined to vote for me but got scared off," she
said. "The evidence for that intervening event is, I think,
compelling."

Mrs Clinton also noted that as the first woman to run for president as
a major party candidate, misogyny may have also been a factor in her
loss.

"It is real," Mrs Clinton said of discrimination against women. "It is
very much a part of the landscape politically, socially and
economically."

She said her election would have been "a really big deal" for women's
rights, sending a message around the world.

At one point, Amanpour joked that the president would likely take to
social media to respond to the former candidate's remarks .

"If he wants to tweet about me then I am happy to be the diversion
because we have lot of things to worry about," Mrs Clinton said.

By that evening, Mr Trump indeed offered his Twitter response, again
saying the Russia allegations were a Democratic attempt to avoid blame
for their defeat.

Other opponents of the former secretary of state will be quick to
point out that explaining away her campaign missteps as mere
challenges, problems and shortfalls gives short shrift to strategic
lapses that left her vulnerable to Mr Trump's economic populism,
allowing him to prevail in the decisive Rust Belt states of
Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan.

Mrs Clinton's apparent response, however, is that she had to defend Mr
Obama's presidential accomplishments and sell her pragmatic approach
as the way to improve American lives.

"That was not as exciting as saying throw it all out and start over
again, but it's how you make change in America - and lasting change
that would improve people's lives," she said.

When it came to foreign policy, Mrs Clinton shared some thoughts on
the "wicked problems" currently confronting Mr Trump.

She said the effort to end North Korea's nuclear weapons and ballistic
missile programmes requires a regional effort, with US positions
presented in critical negotiations and "not just thrown off in a tweet
some morning".

She also said she supported the recent US missile strike to punish the
Syrian government for its use of chemical weapons, although she says
she is not convinced it has made much of a difference.

"If all it was was a one-off effort," she said, "it's not going to
have much of a lasting effect."

Instead, Mrs Clinton is left trying to find her footing as an
ex-candidate with no electoral prizes on the horizon for the first
time since she emerged from her husband's political shadow. As her
numerous swipes at the current president reveal, however, she may find
an identity in opposition.

"I'm now back to being an activist citizen and part of the
resistance," she said toward the end of her interview, referencing the
label many of Mr Trump's liberal opponents have adopted.

Playing backseat driver to the Trump presidency isn't where Mrs
Clinton wanted to be, of course. It's not where, 10 days before last
November's election, she thought she'd be. And dealing with it, she
said, has been a "painful process".

If Mrs Clinton's psychological wounds never truly heal, she will
hardly be the first to endure such lasting damage, as an anecdote
recounted by political reporter Roger Simon reveals.

Shortly after his presidential defeat in 1984, Democratic nominee
Walter Mondale called George McGovern, who was beaten by Republican
Richard Nixon in 1972.

When does the pain stop, he asked. When did you wake up in the morning
and not feel like throwing up?

"I'll tell you when I get there," McGovern replied.