Djoker's chase: is it for GOAT?

Scott

Jan 31, 2016, 7:35:40 PM1/31/16
Is Djoker chasing Fed's slam count to be GOAT? Or is it possible to call Fed GOAT even after Djoker has more slams?

Shakes

Jan 31, 2016, 8:14:14 PM1/31/16
On Sunday, January 31, 2016 at 4:35:40 PM UTC-8, Scott wrote:
> Is Djoker chasing Fed's slam count to be GOAT? Or is it possible to call Fed GOAT even after Djoker has more slams?

I don't think Djok is chasing GOAT as of now. It would be foolish to think that far ahead, and it's pretty obvious he realizes that. He's taking it tournament by tournament, season by season, as he should.

John Liang

Jan 31, 2016, 8:45:56 PM1/31/16
On Monday, February 1, 2016 at 11:35:40 AM UTC+11, Scott wrote:
> Is Djoker chasing Fed's slam count to be GOAT? Or is it possible to call Fed GOAT even after Djoker has more slams?

First Djoker needs to get the slam count greater than 17. And it is impossible to call Fed GOAT if Djoker has more slams. It is quite likely when reaching No. 18 Djoker would have the same number of FO, 1 fewer USO or 2 fewer Wimbledon but superior AO. I would still give him the nod as GOAT. As winning more than 4 slams at 3 different venue is quite a feat. Outside Federer Djoker would be the only 1 to have done it in the past 30 years.

PeteWasLucky

Jan 31, 2016, 9:00:10 PM1/31/16
John Liang <jlia...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> On Monday, February 1, 2016 at 11:35:40 AM UTC+11, Scott wrote:
>> Is Djoker chasing Fed's slam count to be GOAT? Or is it possible to call Fed GOAT even after Djoker has more slams?
>
> First Djoker needs to get the slam count greater than 17. And it is impossible to call Fed GOAT if Djoker has more slams. It is quite likely when reaching No. 18 Djoker would have the same number of FO, 1 fewer USO or 2 fewer Wimbledon but superior AO. I would still give him the nod as GOAT. As winning more than 4 slams at 3 different venue is quite a feat. Outside Federer Djoker would be the only 1 to have done it in the past 30 years.

It's funny, Federer had 15 slams before he turned 29 and won two
after turning 29.
But it's true that he had nadal and Djokovic that were younger and
dangerous stopping him after he turned 29, but who is there to
stop djokovic?

Also Nadal didn't just stop winning slams after reaching 28 he
stopped even winning slam matches in most of the
slams.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

TennisGuy

Jan 31, 2016, 10:12:01 PM1/31/16
On 1/31/2016 7:35 PM, Scott wrote:
> Is Djoker chasing Fed's slam count to be GOAT? Or is it possible to
> call Fed GOAT even after Djoker has more slams?

Why don't you send him a tweet and ask him personally instead of
relying on rst speculation?

--
7543 - the greatest GOAT formula of all time

TennisGuy

Jan 31, 2016, 10:20:07 PM1/31/16
On 1/31/2016 7:35 PM, Scott wrote:
> Is Djoker chasing Fed's slam count to be GOAT? Or is it possible to
> call Fed GOAT even after Djoker has more slams?

Nadal was doing very well thank you very much in 2014 (3 slams in just
over a year) when he simply fell off the ATP map entirely.
He was 27 at the time. There were no warning signs.

Djoker is now 28, anything can happen at the drop of a hat in the coming
months to put and end to his current fortunes.

Tennis can be a very fickle game, especially when pushing 29.

Shakes

Jan 31, 2016, 10:24:16 PM1/31/16
On Sunday, January 31, 2016 at 7:20:07 PM UTC-8, TennisGuy wrote:

> Nadal was doing very well thank you very much in 2014 (3 slams in just
> over a year) when he simply fell off the ATP map entirely.
> He was 27 at the time. There were no warning signs.
>
> Djoker is now 28, anything can happen at the drop of a hat in the coming
> months to put and end to his current fortunes.
>
> Tennis can be a very fickle game, especially when pushing 29.

Correct. And these guys know it only too well.

ahonkan

Feb 1, 2016, 4:27:52 AM2/1/16
For those wondering who is going to challenge Djoker since it is
unlikely to be Fed/ Rafa/ Murray, I think Raonic is Candidate #1. Had
an untimely injury not hurt him in the SF vs Murray, it is possible
we would have seen a new AO champion on Sunday.
Kyrgios with a head screwed on correctly is not a bad candidate. I'd
like to think Wawrinka and Murray have 1-2 slams left in them too.
Even Fed may sneak 1 if Wawrinka/ Murray take Djoker out.

All big guys have had stunning falls from grace within just 1 year -
Borg, Mac, Lendl, Fed, Rafa. It's not inconceivable Djoker could go
the same way.

RzR

Feb 1, 2016, 4:31:07 AM2/1/16
On 1.2.2016. 1:35, Scott wrote:
> Is Djoker chasing Fed's slam count to be GOAT? Or is it possible to call Fed GOAT even after Djoker has more slams?

if he gets to 18 slams, and Federer stays at 17, then Nole is GOAT/

simple math really...

funniest thing is that those who were saying that Fed won his slams in
clown era, they are being super quiet now :)))))))

TennisGuy

Feb 1, 2016, 3:43:12 PM2/1/16
It obviously was a clown era and thus Djoker has won his slams in a
clown era too!

Thus......

Court_1

Feb 1, 2016, 7:18:10 PM2/1/16
On Monday, February 1, 2016 at 4:27:52 AM UTC-5, ahonkan wrote:

> For those wondering who is going to challenge Djoker since it is
> unlikely to be Fed/ Rafa/ Murray, I think Raonic is Candidate #1. Had
> an untimely injury not hurt him in the SF vs Murray, it is possible
> we would have seen a new AO champion on Sunday.
> Kyrgios with a head screwed on correctly is not a bad candidate.

+1.

> All big guys have had stunning falls from grace within just 1 year -
> Borg, Mac, Lendl, Fed, Rafa. It's not inconceivable Djoker could go
> the same way.

Djokovic could go that way and eventually will but the difference with Djokovic is his insane flexibility. That's a gift many tennis greats don't have and it keeps him nimble.

Scott

Feb 1, 2016, 8:40:10 PM2/1/16
I don't do Twitter. However, do you think Fed would respond to a question that so obviously works against his interests? I don't.

Scott

Feb 1, 2016, 9:23:10 PM2/1/16
I don't know if GOAT today can be described as a simple slam count. Watching Fed taking on Nadal and Djoker confirmed Fed's era was really tough. Peak Nadal showed how an oversized racquet could be used to generate more topspin than anyone had ever seen before. What Fed was up against was far more than Pete's competition.

bob

Feb 2, 2016, 3:26:51 PM2/2/16
On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 16:35:39 -0800 (PST), Scott <scot...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Is Djoker chasing Fed's slam count to be GOAT? Or is it possible to call Fed GOAT even after Djoker has more slams?

if either djoker or nadal gets to 15, and has OLY gold and fed doesn't
get the OLY gold this yr, an argument could be made. provided sneaky
fed doesn't take home this yr's wimbledon.

bob

Gracchus

Feb 2, 2016, 3:41:27 PM2/2/16
On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 12:26:51 PM UTC-8, bob wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 16:35:39 -0800 (PST), Scott <scot...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:

> >Is Djoker chasing Fed's slam count to be GOAT? Or is it possible to call Fed GOAT even after Djoker has more slams?

> if either djoker or nadal gets to 15, and has OLY gold and fed doesn't
> get the OLY gold this yr, an argument could be made.

Yes, a losing argument. An Olympic gold in tennis is worth less than a single slam.

> provided sneaky fed doesn't take home this yr's wimbledon.

Toast can't win Wimbledon.

TennisGuy

Feb 2, 2016, 6:19:19 PM2/2/16
On 2/1/2016 8:40 PM, Scott wrote:
> I don't do Twitter. However, do you think Fed would respond to a
> question that so obviously works against his interests? I don't.

"Is Djoker chasing Fed's slam count to be GOAT? Or is it possible to
call Fed GOAT even after Djoker has more slams?"

If you want to know if Djoker is chasing Fed's slam count, then it would
make the most sense to ask Djoker rather than Fed, no? Hmmmph.

TennisGuy

Feb 2, 2016, 6:24:10 PM2/2/16
You mentioned a very important ability that Djoker has (flexibility).
However that single ability won't necessarily translate into staying
power when so many other factors are at play for that.

The other greats mentioned above didn't fade away quickly because they
lacked flexibility.

Let's think about this logically.

Court_1

Feb 2, 2016, 6:34:56 PM2/2/16
Djokovic's flexibility may translate into staying power. The yoga he does to help maintain his flexibility helps him with his balance and whole mindset. What other great can you think of had Djokovic's Gumby-like flexibility? He will decline in other areas and slow down but the flexibility "may" help him stay at peak a little longer. He's already 28, almost 29 when most players are NOT peaking.

We'll see. Anything can happen and there are so many factors involved. What we need is a younger power player to come along and blow him off the court and he will start to doubt himself.

TennisGuy

Feb 2, 2016, 7:30:55 PM2/2/16
On 2/2/2016 6:34 PM, Court_1 wrote:

> We'll see.

"Anything can happen and there are so many factors
involved."

Exactly.

" What we need is a younger power player to come along and
blow him off the court and he will start to doubt himself."

Yes but it is quite unlikely to happen in the next six or so months.
Usually when there is a new young kid on the block rumors start to
circulate, there is a buzz etc. We haven't heard any of this yet.

Translation: what you saw at the 2016 A.O. (players-wise) will likely
carry over to the F.O. and Wimbledon.

bob

Feb 3, 2016, 8:45:45 AM2/3/16
On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 17:14:11 -0800 (PST), Shakes <kvcs...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sunday, January 31, 2016 at 4:35:40 PM UTC-8, Scott wrote:
>> Is Djoker chasing Fed's slam count to be GOAT? Or is it possible to call Fed GOAT even after Djoker has more slams?
>
>I don't think Djok is chasing GOAT as of now. It would be foolish to think that far ahead, and it's pretty obvious he realizes that. He's taking it tournament by tournament, season by season, as he should.

maybe, but seeing clips of djok as a little kid he seemed to be
thinking "greatness" at age 7 or so...

that said, i think for djok to be GOAT by the overall community he'll
need something like:

15 or 16 slams, with 2 more wimbledons
oly gold
keep beating fed/nadal another year or two h2h
fed wins no more wimbledons

bob

bob

Feb 3, 2016, 8:47:34 AM2/3/16
On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 12:41:25 -0800 (PST), Gracchus
<grac...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 12:26:51 PM UTC-8, bob wrote:
>> On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 16:35:39 -0800 (PST), Scott <scot...@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>
>> >Is Djoker chasing Fed's slam count to be GOAT? Or is it possible to call Fed GOAT even after Djoker has more slams?
>
>> if either djoker or nadal gets to 15, and has OLY gold and fed doesn't
>> get the OLY gold this yr, an argument could be made.
>
>Yes, a losing argument. An Olympic gold in tennis is worth less than a single slam.

i used to say tennis shouldn't be an olympic sport, and i still say
so. but being that the top players themselves consider it a top
priority (ever since fed 2004), i can't argue against it - though i'd
like to agree with you.

>> provided sneaky fed doesn't take home this yr's wimbledon.
>
>Toast can't win Wimbledon.

burnt toast?

bob