Bodo on Andre's induction in the Hall of Fame

Katya

Jul 8, 2011, 7:42:34 PM7/8/11

uly...@mscomm.com

Jul 8, 2011, 9:07:44 PM7/8/11
I read this earlier.... ironic that Bodo (all time Agassi hater and
Sampras jerk-off-over-er)... is that a word?---- says something
reasonably nice about Andre.

Bodo hates Agassi, always did, always will.

Scott

Jul 8, 2011, 9:14:11 PM7/8/11
On Jul 8, 7:42 pm, Katya <katya.fr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://blogs.tennis.com/tennisworld/2011/07/tk-4.html?utm_source=feed...

amazing how so little of the commentary is about Andre.

SliceAndDice

Jul 8, 2011, 9:28:29 PM7/8/11

Not so amazing if you have read Bodo before.

Scott

Jul 8, 2011, 10:00:01 PM7/8/11

even by Bodo's standards, that commentary is turgid.

Court_1

Jul 8, 2011, 9:56:03 PM7/8/11

I don't understand how people hate Agassi. Personally, I always liked
him or at least the persona that he chose to show to the world. I
found him a hell of a lot more interesting than his chief rival Pete
Sampras, but that is just me.

Agassi's whole story is intriguing and it is nice to see he came full
circle and is doing a lot of good with his charity work. Bodo's
comment about how tennis is an individual sport and there is really no
place to hide and one must work out his/her issues both on and off the
court is interesting. Agassi's dad just seems like a real son of a
bitch so it could not have been easy for Agassi when he was younger
being literally forced into tennis. At least he finally learned to
understand that through tennis he could acquire freedom and the means
to do whatever he wanted on his own terms and that he could do a lot
of good.

jdeluise

Jul 8, 2011, 10:04:17 PM7/8/11

On 8-Jul-2011, Court_1 <Olymp...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't understand how people hate Agassi. Personally, I always liked
> him or at least the persona that he chose to show to the world. I
> found him a hell of a lot more interesting than his chief rival Pete
> Sampras, but that is just me.

Agassi always came across as a complete phony and a showy jackass to me.
That being said, I completely respect his ability on the court.

Scott

Jul 8, 2011, 10:06:52 PM7/8/11

i remember being in Amsterdam around 1994 or so and reading a
brilliantly written piece written by an English writer that poked fun
at Agassi. back then he was a colossal underachiever who was maxing
out his commercial endorsements while his efforts in slams were
sometimes pitiful.

Agassi changed his ways but it was hard to like the early version of
him.

Court_1

Jul 8, 2011, 10:12:19 PM7/8/11
On Jul 8, 10:04 pm, "jdeluise" <jdelu...@gmail.com> wrote:

I know a lot of people feel that way about Agassi but aside from that
showiness aspect which was just a marketing thing to me, he always
had a good personality and at least he was able to string a sentence
together unlike some other tennis stars. He had that special "it"
quality, a quality that makes a person a star over and above his
tennis talent. I always found him to be open and frank.

Court_1

Jul 8, 2011, 10:15:05 PM7/8/11
> him.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, the earlier version of Agassi seemed troubled but it is no wonder
if what he says about his dad is true. It makes sense that he was
going to be rebellious to some degree. Luckily he figured a lot of
things out and seemingly improved himself.

Gracchus

Jul 9, 2011, 12:16:14 AM7/9/11
On Jul 9, 9:04 am, "jdeluise" <jdelu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Agassi always came across as a complete phony and a showy jackass to me.
> That being said, I completely respect his ability on the court.

I agree with that assessment. What I disliked most was the nasty
gamesmanship he used. He got better in his later years, but it never
went away completely.
Reading his book gave some insight into his personality. He remembers
other players slighting him but forgets the things he said about or
did to them.

You are right about him as a player, though, and his tennis commentary
is very insightful.

bob

Jul 9, 2011, 8:45:54 AM7/9/11
On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 19:12:19 -0700 (PDT), Court_1
<Olymp...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Jul 8, 10:04 pm, "jdeluise" <jdelu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On  8-Jul-2011, Court_1 <Olympia0...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I don't understand how people hate Agassi. Personally, I always liked
>> > him or at least the persona that he chose to show to the world. I
>> > found him a hell of a lot more interesting than his chief rival Pete
>> > Sampras, but that is just me.
>>
>> Agassi always came across as a complete phony and a showy jackass to me.
>> That being said, I completely respect his ability on the court.
>
>I know a lot of people feel that way about Agassi but aside from that
>showiness aspect which was just a marketing thing to me, he always
>had a good personality and at least he was able to string a sentence
>together unlike some other tennis stars. He had that special "it"
>quality,

the "it" quality was spelled N-I-K-E.

bob

Whisper

Jul 9, 2011, 9:12:13 AM7/9/11

LOL!

Thanks - funniest post in days.

: )

Whisper

Jul 9, 2011, 9:19:12 AM7/9/11
On 9/07/2011 11:56 AM, Court_1 wrote:
> On Jul 8, 9:07 pm, "ulys...@msomm.com"<ulys...@mscomm.com> wrote:
>> I read this earlier.... ironic that Bodo (all time Agassi hater and
>> Sampras jerk-off-over-er)... is that a word?---- says something
>> reasonably nice about Andre.
>>
>> Bodo hates Agassi, always did, always will.
>
> I don't understand how people hate Agassi. Personally, I always liked
> him or at least the persona that he chose to show to the world. I
> found him a hell of a lot more interesting than his chief rival Pete
> Sampras, but that is just me.

I found Agassi child-like & almost borderline retarded.

I saw him on Ellen last yr & was cringing all the way through the
interview. He stared at Ellen with wide eyes like he'd just been
lobotomized, & kept repeating "I love you Ellen". Fucking embarrassing
embassador for tennis.

Pelle Svanslös

Jul 9, 2011, 9:26:15 AM7/9/11
On 9.7.2011 4:12, Court_1 wrote:
> On Jul 8, 10:04 pm, "jdeluise"<jdelu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 8-Jul-2011, Court_1<Olympia0...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't understand how people hate Agassi. Personally, I always liked
>>> him or at least the persona that he chose to show to the world. I
>>> found him a hell of a lot more interesting than his chief rival Pete
>>> Sampras, but that is just me.
>>
>> Agassi always came across as a complete phony and a showy jackass to me.
>> That being said, I completely respect his ability on the court.
>
> I know a lot of people feel that way about Agassi but aside from that
> showiness aspect which was just a marketing thing to me, he always
> had a good personality and at least he was able to string a sentence
> together unlike some other tennis stars.

Yeah, like the famous "I lost the match, but the scoreboard doesn't tell
what I found" speech. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqLfan0R0b8

Can't trump that.

Katya

Jul 9, 2011, 10:00:04 AM7/9/11

uly...@mscomm.com

Jul 9, 2011, 11:42:57 AM7/9/11
People who don't understand how fans could hate Agassi obviously
didn't see him play from 1988-1990. He was ridiculous out there, and
I'm not referring to his clothing. He caught a serve in Davis Cup with
his hand in South America, eliciting the loathing of the crowd, his
teammaters and especially his poor opponent. Talk about showing up an
opponent needlessly.

Agassi also used to applaud almost every good shot his opponent would
make in this ostentacious way, which particularly irked Lendl (I don't
blame him).

But worst of all was Andre's blatant tanking. Talk about no fighting
spirit. If he ever went down just one break in any match (even slams),
he tanked the rest of the match. How about his 5 set win over Connors
at the USO when he announced to his box, picked up by on-court mikes,
that he was going to tank 2 sets just to prove he could win a 5-set
match?

Classless in the extreme.

He was a lazy, immature showboater for a long time.

I hated Agassi for a long time, but eventually warmed to him and
rooted for him in the past 7 years of his career. But his persona
initially was ridiculous and immature.

Message has been deleted

steve jaros

Jul 9, 2011, 6:38:12 PM7/9/11
> On 7/8/2011 6:42 PM, Katya wrote:
> http://blogs.tennis.com/tennisworld/2011/07/tk-4.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tennisworld-bodo+%28Peter+Bodo%27s+TennisWorld%29

a bit too much armchair psychoanalysis, but good article overall.

--
The most confident critics are generally those
who know the least about the matter critized.

- US Grant

steve jaros

Jul 9, 2011, 6:39:33 PM7/9/11

no, lots of guys were signed to nike and yet made no impression at all
on the culture (e.g., sampras).

agassi just had massive star quality. kept the sport afloat in the
public eye when lendl/sampras almost killed it.

"make better choices more of the time" - the Seleme mantra

Court_1

Jul 9, 2011, 6:41:58 PM7/9/11
> bob- Hide quoted text -

Nike helped but Nike does not create star quality. The person has to
have the goods him/herself. You could dress Sampras up in Nike and
parade him around and he could never cut it because his personality
was non-existent.

Regardless of how messed up Agassi was in his youth or how many
mistakes he made or how irresponsible he was, he had that star
quality. Big time companies such as Nike do not continually endorse a
player who fails to provide returns for the company.

Court_1

Jul 9, 2011, 6:43:14 PM7/9/11

That is because you idolize Sampras and hate Agassi. You are unable to
be objective. You are totally biased! That is ok, we all are to a
certain degree.

steve jaros

Jul 9, 2011, 6:48:07 PM7/9/11
On 7/9/2011 5:43 PM, Court_1 wrote:
> On Jul 9, 9:19 am, Whisper<beaver...@ozemail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't understand how people hate Agassi. Personally, I always liked
>>> him or at least the persona that he chose to show to the world. I
>>> found him a hell of a lot more interesting than his chief rival Pete
>>> Sampras, but that is just me.
>>
>> I found Agassi child-like& almost borderline retarded.
>>
>> I saw him on Ellen last yr& was cringing all the way through the

>> interview. He stared at Ellen with wide eyes like he'd just been
>> lobotomized,& kept repeating "I love you Ellen". Fucking embarrassing

>> embassador for tennis.
>
> That is because you idolize Sampras and hate Agassi.

whisper is completely unreliable when talking about agassi. it's like
when raja talks about anything.

--
"...until you have seen the Sistine Chapel, you can have no
adequate conception of what man is capable of accomplishing."

- Goethe

Court_1

Jul 9, 2011, 6:48:00 PM7/9/11
On Jul 9, 6:39 pm, steve jaros <sjar...@chill.com> wrote:
> On 7/9/2011 7:45 AM, bob wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 19:12:19 -0700 (PDT), Court_1
> > <Olympia0...@yahoo.com>  wrote:
> "make better choices more of the time" - the Seleme mantra- Hide quoted text -

Agree. Sampras and Lendl were very talented tennis players but had
zero charisma imo. Like dead wood! No amount of propping them up with
endorsements could change that.
Just did not have that "it" quality needed to be a successful
endorser. You either have it or you don't basically. Agassi with all
of his defects had "it."

Court_1

Jul 9, 2011, 6:51:47 PM7/9/11

I liked his speech. The guy was far from perfect and made some stupid
choices but he had a likeable quality and was usually very articulate
when interviewed etc.

Gracchus

Jul 9, 2011, 8:48:19 PM7/9/11
On Jul 9, 10:42 pm, "ulys...@msomm.com" <ulys...@mscomm.com> wrote:
> People who don't understand how fans could hate Agassi obviously
> didn't see him play from 1988-1990. He was ridiculous out there, and
> I'm not referring to his clothing. He caught a serve in Davis Cup with
> his hand in South America, eliciting the loathing of the crowd, his
> teammaters and especially his poor opponent. Talk about showing up an
> opponent needlessly.

A few other examples:

(1) When Agassi played Connors at the U.S. Open, he hit two aces in a
row, then missed the next serve and shouted out, "Awww, I wanted
another one!" After the match, Agassi tells the press that he'd
predicted to his "best buddy" he'd win "three, three, and three."

(2) Agassi easily beats Rafter at the Australian Open, and says
afterward that to be honest, the match was nothing more than "good
practice."

(3) Agassi is scheduled to play Jim Courier in the French Open final.
He says to the press that it's a good thing Courier works so hard,
because "he doesn't have much natural talent to fall back
on." (Courier won in straight sets).

(4) Playing Kucera at the U.S. Open in the 90's. Agassi is being
outplayed, so he starts moonballing Kucera, making a complete farce of
the match and losing anyway.

(5) Playing Todd Martin in a U.S. Open final. As a game ends in the
5th set, Agassi sprints off the court to show Martin just how much he
has left in the tank.

(6) After beating Becker in Miami, Agassi slams Becker's new coach
Bolletieri, saying how predictable his tactics were, and saying "If
you ever want to see just how much he knows about tennis, play him a
set."

(7) In his final U.S. Open, Agassi is playing Baghdatis. When
Baghdatis hits a shot beyond the baseline, Andre winds up and does a
deliberate "whiff" swing to make his opponent look foolish.

Of course in Agassi's book he sees such events in a different light
when he mentions them at all. He resents Connors snubbing him in the
locker room, Courier lacing on his shoes to go for a run after beating
Andre, etc.

Manco

Jul 9, 2011, 8:52:10 PM7/9/11
You have to admit it was courageous for Agassi to admit his meth use.

bob

Jul 9, 2011, 9:25:30 PM7/9/11
On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 17:48:07 -0500, steve jaros <sja...@chill.com>
wrote:

>On 7/9/2011 5:43 PM, Court_1 wrote:

>>> I found Agassi child-like& almost borderline retarded.
>>>
>>> I saw him on Ellen last yr& was cringing all the way through the
>>> interview. He stared at Ellen with wide eyes like he'd just been
>>> lobotomized,& kept repeating "I love you Ellen". Fucking embarrassing
>>> embassador for tennis.
>>
>> That is because you idolize Sampras and hate Agassi.
>
>whisper is completely unreliable when talking about agassi. it's like
>when raja talks about anything.

i was actually a lendl fan, but objective in his shortcomings.
i was never a huge agassi fan, but realized that the avg joe wanted to
see him and he could grow the popularity of the game. in fact many
times wanted him to beat pete to keep interest high with the common
joe who wasn't a huge tennis fan. kind of bad reasoning, i admit.

bob

bob

Jul 9, 2011, 9:28:52 PM7/9/11
On Sat, 9 Jul 2011 17:48:19 -0700 (PDT), Gracchus
<cernu...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Jul 9, 10:42 pm, "ulys...@msomm.com" <ulys...@mscomm.com> wrote:
>> People who don't understand how fans could hate Agassi obviously
>> didn't see him play from 1988-1990. He was ridiculous out there, and
>> I'm not referring to his clothing. He caught a serve in Davis Cup with
>> his hand in South America, eliciting the loathing of the crowd, his
>> teammaters and especially his poor opponent. Talk about showing up an
>> opponent needlessly.
>
>A few other examples:
>
>(1) When Agassi played Connors at the U.S. Open, he hit two aces in a
>row, then missed the next serve and shouted out, "Awww, I wanted
>another one!" After the match, Agassi tells the press that he'd
>predicted to his "best buddy" he'd win "three, three, and three."

that same interview, said, about connors, "i was surprised the old guy
had that much fight in him", thereby infuriating connors and making an
enemy for life. :-)

>(2) Agassi easily beats Rafter at the Australian Open, and says
>afterward that to be honest, the match was nothing more than "good
>practice."

>(3) Agassi is scheduled to play Jim Courier in the French Open final.
>He says to the press that it's a good thing Courier works so hard,
>because "he doesn't have much natural talent to fall back
>on." (Courier won in straight sets).

>(4) Playing Kucera at the U.S. Open in the 90's. Agassi is being
>outplayed, so he starts moonballing Kucera, making a complete farce of
>the match and losing anyway.

>(5) Playing Todd Martin in a U.S. Open final. As a game ends in the
>5th set, Agassi sprints off the court to show Martin just how much he
>has left in the tank.

>(6) After beating Becker in Miami, Agassi slams Becker's new coach
>Bolletieri, saying how predictable his tactics were, and saying "If
>you ever want to see just how much he knows about tennis, play him a
>set."

>(7) In his final U.S. Open, Agassi is playing Baghdatis. When
>Baghdatis hits a shot beyond the baseline, Andre winds up and does a
>deliberate "whiff" swing to make his opponent look foolish.

>Of course in Agassi's book he sees such events in a different light
>when he mentions them at all. He resents Connors snubbing him in the
>locker room, Courier lacing on his shoes to go for a run after beating
>Andre, etc.

nice post.

bob

Scott

Jul 9, 2011, 9:33:46 PM7/9/11
On Jul 9, 11:42 am, "ulys...@msomm.com" <ulys...@mscomm.com> wrote:
> People who don't understand how fans could hate Agassi obviously
> didn't see him play from 1988-1990. He was ridiculous out there, and
> I'm not referring to his clothing. He caught a serve in Davis Cup with
> his hand in South America, eliciting the loathing of the crowd, his
> teammaters and especially his poor opponent. Talk about showing up an
> opponent needlessly.
>
> Agassi also used to applaud almost every good shot his opponent would
> make in this ostentacious way, which particularly irked Lendl (I don't
> blame him).
>
> But worst of all was Andre's blatant tanking. Talk about no fighting
> spirit. If he ever went down just one break in any match (even slams),
> he tanked the rest of the match. How about his 5 set win over Connors
> at the USO when he announced to his box, picked up by on-court mikes,
> that he was going to tank 2 sets just to prove he could win a 5-set
> match?

he was pretty well known for tanking (very obviously) smaller
tournaments. however, i never heard he tanked in slams, that Connors
story notwithstanding.

Court_1

Jul 9, 2011, 10:06:24 PM7/9/11
On Jul 9, 8:52 pm, Manco <musefan2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You have to admit it was courageous for Agassi to admit his meth use.

I agree. If every athlete admitted his/her PED or other drug use,
there would not be enough publishers to publish all of the books that
could be written on this subject.

steve jaros

Jul 9, 2011, 10:29:33 PM7/9/11

yep. not their fault really, since their job was to win tennis matches
and they were super at that, but still, when you ask people to pay to
watch you play, there's an entertainment-quotient that is in play, and
those guys didn't have it.

fortunately, agassi did.

--
there is no doubt that the black-white
power struggle in south africa is but a

- Steve Biko

uly...@mscomm.com

Jul 9, 2011, 11:03:43 PM7/9/11
Scott, I said that Andre tanked SETS in slam matches when he would be
down a break in any set. If you doubt he tanked sets in slams, check
out his '88 match against Wilander at the French Open. Once he was
down a break, he tanked blatantly. I will exclude the fifth set which
he lost 6-1 (or maybe even a bagel, I forget), when he was shredded
with fatigue.

uly...@mscomm.com

Jul 9, 2011, 11:05:40 PM7/9/11
Andre also tanked two sets against Lendl in their USO '88 semi. Once
he went down a break, he literally didn't even go for many balls. It
was blatant and incredibly unprofessional.

Pelle Svanslös

Jul 10, 2011, 1:39:42 AM7/10/11
On 10.7.2011 0:51, Court_99 wrote:

> On Jul 9, 9:26 am, Pelle Svansl�s<pe...@svans.los> wrote:

>>> I know a lot of people feel that way about Agassi but aside from that
>>> showiness aspect which was just a marketing thing to me, he always
>>> had a good personality and at least he was able to string a sentence
>>> together unlike some other tennis stars.
>>
>> Yeah, like the famous "I lost the match, but the scoreboard doesn't tell
>> what I found" speech. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqLfan0R0b8
>>
>> Can't trump that.
>
> I liked his speech.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Nuff of this shit.

Whisper

Jul 10, 2011, 3:56:37 AM7/10/11
On 10/07/2011 7:55 AM, Court_1 wrote:

> On Jul 9, 8:45 am, bob<stein...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> the "it" quality was spelled N-I-K-E.
>>
>> bob- Hide quoted text -

> Nike helped but Nike does not create star quality. The person has to
> have the goods him/herself. You could dress Sampras up in Nike and
> parade him around and he could never cut it because his personality
> was non-existent.
>
> Regardless of how messed up Agassi was in his youth or how many
> mistakes he made or how irresponsible he was, he had that star
> quality. Big time companies such as Nike do not continually endorse a
> player who fails to provide returns for the company.

I know I keep repeating this, but I'm genuine when I say he had zero
star quality imo. Not 1 or 2 out of 10, but a genuine zero. I also
question the character/personality of people who did find him engaging
in any way. What kind of character would find someone like Agassi
interesting?

Take away his fame/money, & you're left with a pudgy, bald, nerdy guy
who sneers through his nose when he laughs. He has duck feet & zero
charisma.

I can only maybe visualize a few 12 yr old girls liking his mullet
look/clothes when he was a teen, but can't fathom anyone over 15 wasting
any time on him? It's a complete mystery to me.

Whisper

Jul 10, 2011, 3:57:30 AM7/10/11

The only top player who had less star quality than Agassi was Lendl.

Whisper

Jul 10, 2011, 3:59:22 AM7/10/11
On 10/07/2011 8:43 AM, Court_1 wrote:
> On Jul 9, 9:19 am, Whisper<beaver...@ozemail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't understand how people hate Agassi. Personally, I always liked
>>> him or at least the persona that he chose to show to the world. I
>>> found him a hell of a lot more interesting than his chief rival Pete
>>> Sampras, but that is just me.
>>
>> I found Agassi child-like& almost borderline retarded.
>>
>> I saw him on Ellen last yr& was cringing all the way through the

>> interview. He stared at Ellen with wide eyes like he'd just been
>> lobotomized,& kept repeating "I love you Ellen". Fucking embarrassing

>> embassador for tennis.
>
> That is because you idolize Sampras and hate Agassi. You are unable to
> be objective. You are totally biased! That is ok, we all are to a
> certain degree.

Not true. I actually talk Agassi up in relation to this current era of
players. But seriously if he wasn't a famous tennis player, who would
give him a 2nd look. He's the complete opposite of what a fan idol
should look like.

Whisper

Jul 10, 2011, 4:01:06 AM7/10/11

lol - this is really surreal to me.

Whisper

Jul 10, 2011, 4:02:05 AM7/10/11
On 10/07/2011 8:48 AM, steve jaros wrote:
> On 7/9/2011 5:43 PM, Court_1 wrote:

>>> I found Agassi child-like& almost borderline retarded.
>>>
>>> I saw him on Ellen last yr& was cringing all the way through the
>>> interview. He stared at Ellen with wide eyes like he'd just been
>>> lobotomized,& kept repeating "I love you Ellen". Fucking embarrassing
>>> embassador for tennis.
>>
>> That is because you idolize Sampras and hate Agassi.
>
> whisper is completely unreliable when talking about agassi. it's like
> when raja talks about anything.

Hey I try to be objective. I tried to pretend Agassi is really good
looking, interesting etc - just felt weird.

Whisper

Jul 10, 2011, 4:09:10 AM7/10/11

The only time I'd watch Agassi is when he played talented guys like
Sampras, Mac, Becker or Edberg. As a standalone talent Agassi had zero
pulling power for true tennis fans like myself.

He was always a try-hard & had no natural charisma at all. Sampras was
a little bland, but he had a natural cool factor you're born with.

Court_1

Jul 10, 2011, 5:04:22 AM7/10/11
On Jul 10, 3:56 am, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com> wrote:
> On 10/07/2011 7:55 AM, Court_1 wrote:
>

> > On Jul 9, 8:45 am, bob<stein...@comcast.net>  wrote:
> >> the "it" quality was spelled N-I-K-E.
>
> >> bob- Hide quoted text -

> > Nike helped but Nike does not create star quality. The person has to
> > have the goods him/herself. You could dress Sampras up in Nike and
> > parade him around and he could never cut it because his personality
> > was non-existent.
>
> > Regardless of how messed up Agassi was in his youth or how many
> > mistakes he made or how irresponsible he was, he had that star
> > quality. Big time companies such as Nike do not continually endorse a
> > player who fails to provide returns for the company.
>
> I know I keep repeating this, but I'm genuine when  I say he had zero
> star quality imo.  Not 1 or 2 out of 10, but a genuine zero.  I also
> question the character/personality of people who did find him engaging
> in any way.   What kind of character would find someone like Agassi
> interesting?

Zero star quality? Well explain then why Agassi made 3-4 times more in
endorsement money and appearance fees than Sampras did. Do you think
multi-billion dollar companies continue to endorse an athlete who does
not bring in any returns? How many endorsement contracts was Pete
offered? Ask yourself why Pete was not offered more endorsement
contracts. I mean he was a US player and the best in the game at the
time. You would think sponsors would be knocking his doors down.
Well, the answer is he had zero in the way of charisma or a
personality. The reality is Agassi brought much more popularity to the
sport than Sampras ever could. In terms of being interesting I can't
think of a tennis star less interesting than Pete Sampras. Talented
yes, but interesting, no way.

So your view of Agassi not having star quality is certainly not
corroborated by mega sponsors and fans around the world. It is ok that
you prefer Sampras as that is your choice but to say Agassi had no
star power and Sampras was more interesting, come on, who in their
right mind would ever conclude that. This is simply not borne out by
the money Agassi made in his career from endorsement contracts and
appearance fees plus the following Agassi received from fans.

Court_1

Jul 10, 2011, 5:09:28 AM7/10/11
> The only top player who had less star quality than Agassi was Lendl.- >

Nope. Sampras and Lendl=zero star quality. Two talented tennis players
no doubt but with zero star power. If all tennis players had the
charisma of Sampras or Lendl the game would have completely died out.
Thank goodness for players like Connors, Borg, Agassi, Federer and
even Nadal who at least brought some popularity to the sport in
addition to tennis talent.

Court_1

Jul 10, 2011, 5:20:29 AM7/10/11
> a little bland, but he had a natural cool factor you're born with.- Hide quoted text -

Sampras cool? Who would say that? His tennis abilities are cool but
Sampras himself cool? He is like a huge nerd. Sampras is no Bjorn Borg
with a natural coolness factor.

Obviously Nike and companies like that agree with me or they would not
have thrown millions upon millions of dollars Agassi's way. Just
sayin.' Again, I am not for one minute disrespecting Sampras' tennis
skills; I am only talking about personality or lack of it here.

Whisper

Jul 10, 2011, 5:21:51 AM7/10/11

I'm not going to comment on what type of fans are interested in Agassi,
but safe to say the big corps thought there was money in it.

But surely you have to see my desription of his physical appearance is
right on the money, even if you're the type who does find him 'charismatic'?

I wouldn't take any of Agassi's gear for free, let alone pay money for
something he endorses. Usually I'll buy something that has a connection
to something I want to be, not repulsed by.

Whisper

Jul 10, 2011, 5:23:40 AM7/10/11

Each to his own. I guess any kind of fan is good for tennis as a whole.
I just can't relate to Agassi worship in any way. He's about as cool
as Mr Bean.

Whisper

Jul 10, 2011, 5:25:43 AM7/10/11
>> He was always a try-hard& had no natural charisma at all. Sampras was

>> a little bland, but he had a natural cool factor you're born with.- Hide quoted text -

> Sampras cool? Who would say that? His tennis abilities are cool but
> Sampras himself cool? He is like a huge nerd. Sampras is no Bjorn Borg
> with a natural coolness factor.
>
> Obviously Nike and companies like that agree with me or they would not
> have thrown millions upon millions of dollars Agassi's way. Just
> sayin.' Again, I am not for one minute disrespecting Sampras' tennis
> skills; I am only talking about personality or lack of it here.

I find Sampras a lot more interesting than Agassi - not in same ballpark.

Sampras is like Clint Eastwood, Agassi like uncle Fester.

Court_1

Jul 10, 2011, 5:14:45 AM7/10/11
> should look like.- Hide quoted text -

Are you kidding me? Agassi is much better looking than Sampras.
Sampras was like a hairy monkey. I admit Agassi's bad hair of his
youth was awful but when he got rid of that ridiculous wig and you
could see his face, it is actually quite attractive.
He has great teeth and a nice smile. Also Agassi always dresses
elegantly now. Always wears a lot of black or neutral colors and
nothing garish. Just a cool elegance. He has a certain style about him.

Gracchus

Jul 10, 2011, 5:36:30 AM7/10/11
On Jul 10, 4:25 pm, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com> wrote:

> Sampras is like Clint Eastwood, Agassi like uncle Fester.

Sampras as a laconic bad-ass? Sorry Whisps, but Pete is a monobrow
geek. During the 1990 U.S. Open, Mary Carillo compared him to Hermie
from "Summer of '42." Definitely a much closer fit than than Clint
Eastwood.

Gracchus

Jul 10, 2011, 5:29:18 AM7/10/11
On Jul 10, 4:09 pm, Court_1 <Olympia0...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Nope. Sampras and Lendl=zero star quality. Two talented tennis players
> no doubt but with zero star power. If all tennis players had the
> charisma of Sampras or Lendl the game would have completely died out.

I was a fan of Sampras as a tennis player but agree with you. His
personality was uninteresting, and I doubt if anyone else sees the
"cool" factor that Whisper is talking about. Low-key, yes. Cool,
definitely not.

Court_1

Jul 10, 2011, 5:49:47 AM7/10/11

LOLLLLL! That is the funniest thing I have ever heard; Hermie from
Summer of 42! I have never heard that before but that is
priceless! :-)

Court_1

Jul 10, 2011, 5:52:47 AM7/10/11

Of course, anybody who loves tennis would have to say they were of fan
of watching Pete play tennis, but to say he is cool like Clint
Eastwood? Um, no!

The Hermie from Summer of 42 comparison is the funniest thing I have
ever heard! That cracked me up!

Court_1

Jul 10, 2011, 5:37:45 AM7/10/11
> Sampras is like Clint Eastwood, Agassi like uncle Fester.- Hide quoted text -

LMAO @ Uncle Fester!

What do you find so interesting about Sampras? Do tell. What in his
tennis story is so fascinating? Agassi had a roller coaster ride both
on the court and off. His whole story from his crazy father to his
current charity work is interesting. I don't know much about Sampras'
backround or childhood. Is there any kind of interesting story there?

Court_1

Jul 10, 2011, 5:46:48 AM7/10/11
> to something I want to be, not repulsed by.- Hide quoted text -

Well the big corporations were right, there was a lot of money to be
made by an association with Agassi. I like Sampras and liked watching
him play tennis but I am merely saying that Agassi had more star
quality and entertainment value than Sampras. For you to say you are
repulsed by anything Agassi is strange. Why are you so repelled by a
tennis player? It is just a game. I don't like Robin Soderling and if
he is not playing another player I like I would never watch him but I
am not repulsed by him. That is extreme. It is funny that you would
ask what kind of person would be interested in Agassi. He is not an
axe murderer to my knowledge. He is just a tennis player.

Gracchus

Jul 10, 2011, 6:32:29 AM7/10/11
On Jul 10, 4:37 pm, Court_1 <Olympia0...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What do you find so interesting about Sampras? Do tell. What in his
> tennis story is so fascinating? Agassi had a roller coaster ride both
> on the court and off. His whole story from his crazy father to his
> current charity work is interesting. I don't know much about Sampras'
> backround or childhood. Is there any kind of interesting story there?

Having read both their books, I have to say that Agassi's was a hell
of a lot more interesting to read than Sampras's. Pete skims over his
background. Either he is just extremely private, or there wasn't much
interesting to tell.

bob

Jul 10, 2011, 8:09:04 AM7/10/11

you seem to be, like many avg joe non-tennis fans, taken in by nike's
huge promotion of a guy with extra long hair and neon clothes. i
agree, financially it worked, as agassi became popular and
recognizable. in fact, i started to hope agassi would do well in the
sport because he was bringing in a curiosity factor of non-tennis fans
in usa and growing the sport which it badly needed.

that said, if you think that makes for an "interesting" or
"charismatic" person, you're easily fooled. nike loves you.

bob

bob

Jul 10, 2011, 8:13:54 AM7/10/11
On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:59:22 +1000, Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com>
wrote:

New!! The Addams Family, on Broadway! Starring Brooke Shields as
Morticia and Andre Agassi as Uncle Fester. lmao. that was good.

bob

Thomas R. Kettler

Jul 10, 2011, 8:47:56 AM7/10/11
In article <tc5j175j5hrholpki...@4ax.com>,
bob <stei...@comcast.net> wrote:

Athletic success has little to do with endorsement success,
unfortunately. How many years did Anna Kournikova earn the most money on
the WTA tour through endorsements despite never once winning a WTA
single's title?

Regarding Kournikova, look at the "Anna Kournikova" reference in
"Influences on Popular Culture" to Texas Hold 'em below.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Kournikova>
--
Remove blown from email address to reply.

bob

Jul 10, 2011, 9:10:07 AM7/10/11

no doubt, although she sold sex. i'm not sure what agassi was selling.
:-)

bob

Whisper

Jul 10, 2011, 9:21:43 AM7/10/11
On 10/07/2011 7:46 PM, Court_1 wrote:
> On Jul 10, 5:21 am, Whisper<beaver...@ozemail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not going to comment on what type of fans are interested in Agassi,
>> but safe to say the big corps thought there was money in it.
>>
>> But surely you have to see my desription of his physical appearance is
>> right on the money, even if you're the type who does find him 'charismatic'?
>>
>> I wouldn't take any of Agassi's gear for free, let alone pay money for
>> something he endorses. Usually I'll buy something that has a connection
>> to something I want to be, not repulsed by.- Hide quoted text -

> Well the big corporations were right, there was a lot of money to be
> made by an association with Agassi.

Not sure how exactly? What products associated with Agassi did well?

> I like Sampras and liked watching
> him play tennis but I am merely saying that Agassi had more star
> quality and entertainment value than Sampras. For you to say you are
> repulsed by anything Agassi is strange. Why are you so repelled by a
> tennis player? It is just a game. I don't like Robin Soderling and if
> he is not playing another player I like I would never watch him but I
> am not repulsed by him. That is extreme. It is funny that you would
> ask what kind of person would be interested in Agassi. He is not an
> axe murderer to my knowledge. He is just a tennis player.

I find his personality very fake, boring, try-hard, uninteresting,
indulgent. Maybe 'repulsed' is too heavy, but certainly he's a wanker
as we say in Aus.

Whisper

Jul 10, 2011, 9:28:57 AM7/10/11

Next to Agassi Sampras is very interesting, & has a mysterious cool
about him.

>Agassi had a roller coaster ride both
> on the court and off. His whole story from his crazy father to his
> current charity work is interesting.

Sorry don't see it. I don't find any part of his life interesting.

>I don't know much about Sampras'
> backround or childhood. Is there any kind of interesting story there?

It's kinda interesting how he was a throwback to the old days of tennis,
just when everyone thought that kind of tennis belonged to the past.
Here's a kid who came out with neat clothes & no gimmickry, & cared
little for the fame crap. Just wanted to play classical tennis & get
the job done in style.

I find individuals who buck the current trend very refreshing.

It would be the same if some player came along today who played nothing
like the current guys. It takes great character to not go with the flow.

Whisper

Jul 10, 2011, 9:33:13 AM7/10/11

I can't even bring myself to read Agassi's book. Maybe if he mostly
talked about more interesting players there'd be something there to make
it bearable, but if it's mostly about him then I'd struggle to get
through it.

I can honestly say I don't see him as a rebel in any way, or any of his
life achievements of interest. Seems like a lot of people are
influenced by the marketing machine? Can't you see through it & see him
for what he is?

Whisper

Jul 10, 2011, 9:34:11 AM7/10/11
>>> He was always a try-hard& had no natural charisma at all. Sampras was

>>> a little bland, but he had a natural cool factor you're born with.- Hide quoted text -

>> Sampras cool? Who would say that? His tennis abilities are cool but
>> Sampras himself cool? He is like a huge nerd. Sampras is no Bjorn Borg
>> with a natural coolness factor.
>>
>> Obviously Nike and companies like that agree with me or they would not
>> have thrown millions upon millions of dollars Agassi's way. Just
>> sayin.' Again, I am not for one minute disrespecting Sampras' tennis
>> skills; I am only talking about personality or lack of it here.
>
> you seem to be, like many avg joe non-tennis fans, taken in by nike's
> huge promotion of a guy with extra long hair and neon clothes. i
> agree, financially it worked, as agassi became popular and
> recognizable. in fact, i started to hope agassi would do well in the
> sport because he was bringing in a curiosity factor of non-tennis fans
> in usa and growing the sport which it badly needed.
>
> that said, if you think that makes for an "interesting" or
> "charismatic" person, you're easily fooled. nike loves you.
>
> bob

Yeah that's what it looks like.

Whisper

Jul 10, 2011, 9:36:41 AM7/10/11

Exactly. I mean George Clooney I can buy as a good looking guy women
are attracted to, but Agassi....? No comprehendo.

Whisper

Jul 10, 2011, 9:39:18 AM7/10/11

He could also pull off George Constanza.

Superdave

Jul 10, 2011, 9:40:02 AM7/10/11

Yes.

A threat to Sampras fuckers.

Superdave

Jul 10, 2011, 9:41:36 AM7/10/11

Sex to Bridget.

And, she bought it, for now anyway.

Gracchus

Jul 10, 2011, 9:56:27 AM7/10/11
On Jul 10, 8:33 pm, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com> wrote:

> I can't even bring myself to read Agassi's book.  Maybe if he mostly
> talked about more interesting players there'd be something there to make
> it bearable, but if it's mostly about him then I'd struggle to get
> through it.
>
> I can honestly say I don't see him as a rebel in any way, or any of his
> life achievements of interest.  Seems like a lot of people are
> influenced by the marketing machine?  Can't you see through it & see him
> for what he is?

Well it should be clear from my posts in this thread that I've always
disliked Agassi and still do. I read his book for much the same reason
that I read McEnroe's and Sampras's, which was mainly to get his take
on his own development as a tennis player, the workings of the pro
tennis world, and thoughts about the players he faced in his career.
As such, it was very entertaining.

It also gives insight into his character. I can sympathize with his
screwed-up family life, but he also reveals (unintentionally I'm sure)
just how much of a egocentric narcissist he is. But the book was a
good read regardless. I liked McEnroe's too, but got the idea that
Sampras was going out of his way not to offend anyone. That helped to
suck any sense of spontaneous thought from his his book.

steve jaros

Jul 10, 2011, 12:28:14 PM7/10/11
On 7/10/2011 3:09 AM, Whisper wrote:
> On 10/07/2011 12:29 PM, steve jaros wrote:

Unfortunately, 95% of the public thought differently. Agassi had loads
of star-power, sampras had barely more than lendl.

--
Happiness is the poetry of womanhood, as clothes are its disguise.

- H. de Balzac

steve jaros

Jul 10, 2011, 12:30:17 PM7/10/11
On 7/10/2011 2:57 AM, Whisper wrote:

> On 10/07/2011 8:39 AM, steve jaros wrote:
>> On 7/9/2011 7:45 AM, bob wrote:

>>> the "it" quality was spelled N-I-K-E.
>>
>> no, lots of guys were signed to nike and yet made no impression at all
>> on the culture (e.g., sampras).
>>
>> agassi just had massive star quality. kept the sport afloat in the
>> public eye when lendl/sampras almost killed it.

> The only top player who had less star quality than Agassi was Lendl.

agassi was paid $20 million a year by nike for his star quality. he was
hugely popular and a celebrity far beyond the tennis community. Sampras
had zero of any of that.

--
"when i visited Aden before collectivization,
all the markets were full of fish product. After

- Aleksandr Vassiliev, Soviet KGB official

bob

Jul 10, 2011, 12:59:18 PM7/10/11
On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 11:28:14 -0500, steve jaros <sja...@chill.com>
wrote:

instead of talking about andre's star power, can we agree that the
media machine can make a sta/personality out of just about anybody it
wants to? not talking tennis, but just about anybdy? i see it over and
over these days. pretty sad stuff IMO.

bob

bob

Jul 10, 2011, 1:00:22 PM7/10/11
On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 23:39:18 +1000, Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com>
wrote:

John Isner as Lurch!

bob

steve jaros

Jul 10, 2011, 1:00:36 PM7/10/11

nope, you have to have some inherent charisma for it to work. we've seen
huge media companies try to create stars many times and fail to achieve
lift-off.

bob

Jul 10, 2011, 1:42:27 PM7/10/11
On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 12:00:36 -0500, steve jaros <sja...@chill.com>
wrote:

so Kloe Kardashian really is "special" and has "special star quality"
that millions (or tens of millions) of other girls don't have? you
can't go to a local high school or univ and find a lot with as
much/more charisma/looks/star power as her?

or is she just pushed real hard by the media to prompt interest in a
TV show? i could make a *really* big list u know..

bob

Thomas R. Kettler

Jul 10, 2011, 1:42:34 PM7/10/11
In article <ivclrr$3co$3...@dont-email.me>,
steve jaros <sja...@chill.com> wrote:

Hey to the 80's fake group New Kids Are Schlock (New Kids on the Block).
It was a media creation and media creation only. Of course, most of the
90's guy bands were the same way.

Thomas R. Kettler

Jul 10, 2011, 1:56:59 PM7/10/11
In article <buoj171qlgm78amed...@4ax.com>,
bob <stei...@comcast.net> wrote:

Reality programs are phonier than the other stuff on TV. Consider the
balloon boy fraud when his father wanted to have a "reality" show.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balloon_boy_hoax>

Unfortunately, these days one gets rewarded, not punished, for their
brazenness and stupidity. Yesterday's actresses had far more talent than
Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan or Paris Hilton.

bob

Jul 10, 2011, 2:04:19 PM7/10/11

please don't use the word actress with names like spears/lohan/hilton.
please, it hurts the ears.

bob

Thomas R. Kettler

Jul 10, 2011, 2:18:28 PM7/10/11
In article <7cqj17tvrl50jht6r...@4ax.com>,
bob <stei...@comcast.net> wrote:

I didn't refer to them as actresses. However, I should made it more
obvious that the magpies with the last names of Spears, Lohan and Hilton
aren't actresses since none of them can act.

steve jaros

Jul 10, 2011, 2:51:20 PM7/10/11

come on bob, kloe got her measure of fame because of her sister.

bob

Jul 10, 2011, 3:06:24 PM7/10/11
On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 13:51:20 -0500, steve jaros <sja...@chill.com>
wrote:

replace "kloe" with "kim" and repeat...

bob

steve jaros

Jul 10, 2011, 4:57:17 PM7/10/11

not necessary, as there IS something special about kim that captured
some segment of the public's imagination. it's an idiot aspect for sure,
but that's beside the point.

but back to tennis: the bottom line is that nike signed a lot of guys,
like sampras and agassi, and only agassi captured the imagination of the
broader public, become a celebrity far beyond tennis.

he obviously had charisma that lendl/sampras types lacked.

--
In South Africa there is such an ill
distribution of wealth that any form of

- Steve Biko

Court_1

Jul 10, 2011, 6:11:39 PM7/10/11
On Jul 10, 8:13 am, bob <stein...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:59:22 +1000, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com>
> bob- Hide quoted text -

You guys are crazy. I have seen Brooke and Andre at tennis tournaments
when they were together and I saw them in LA at a restaurant called
Spago when I was on vacation there with my family. Brooke Shields is
very pretty and Agassi is a nice looking guy. Morticia and Uncle
Fester? You are way off the mark there.

Court_1

Jul 10, 2011, 6:12:48 PM7/10/11
On Jul 10, 8:47 am, "Thomas R. Kettler" <tkett...@blownfuse.net>
wrote:
> In article <tc5j175j5hrholpkicu87avptb6mt7n...@4ax.com>,
> Remove blown from email address to reply.- Hide quoted text -

Agassi was no Kournikova. He actually won 8 grand slams and had a lot
of natural tennis talent. Hello!!!!

Court_1

Jul 10, 2011, 6:08:18 PM7/10/11
On Jul 10, 8:09 am, bob <stein...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 02:20:29 -0700 (PDT), Court_1
>

> <Olympia0...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> The only time I'd watch Agassi is when he played talented guys like
> >> Sampras, Mac, Becker or Edberg.  As a standalone talent Agassi had zero
> >> pulling power for true tennis fans like myself.
>
> >> He was always a try-hard & had no natural charisma at all.  Sampras was
> >> a little bland, but he had a natural cool factor you're born with.- Hide quoted text -

> >Sampras cool? Who would say that? His tennis abilities are cool but
> >Sampras himself cool? He is like a huge nerd. Sampras is no Bjorn Borg
> >with a natural coolness factor.
>
> >Obviously Nike and companies like that agree with me or they would not
> >have thrown millions upon millions of dollars Agassi's way. Just
> >sayin.' Again, I am not for one minute disrespecting Sampras' tennis
> >skills; I am only talking about personality or lack of it here.
>
> you seem to be, like many avg joe non-tennis fans, taken in by nike's
> huge promotion of a guy with extra long hair and neon clothes. i
> agree, financially it worked, as agassi became popular and
> recognizable. in fact, i started to hope agassi would do well in the
> sport because he was bringing in a curiosity factor of non-tennis fans
> in usa and growing the sport which it badly needed.
>
> that said, if you think that makes for an "interesting" or
> "charismatic" person, you're easily fooled. nike loves you.
>
> bob- Hide quoted text -

Listen up, I am not an average Joe tennis fan and have been watching
and playing tennis since I was a child and I am the absolute last
person who is fooled by an image of any athlete. I know those images
are created and it tells us little about the real person. So telling
me I don't know what I am talking about with respect to any tennis
player is way off base. Just because you are a crazed Sampras fan does
not mean every other tennis fan has to feel the same way about him.

The fact is like him or not, Agassi had charisma hence the many
endorsements he had. Those big companies like Nike do not go with
tennis players who can't market their product and have personalities
of ants. You can say you don't like Agassi and that is fine but you
would have to be deaf dumb and blind if you did not at least concede
that Agassi was more popular than Sampras both with fans and sponsors.
Whether you think so or not, the reality is Sampras could NEVER
compete with Agassi in terms of being likeable, having charisma etc.
Sampras was a tennis great but he was not lucky enough to have been
born with or to have cultivated anything resembling a personality. He
is probably one of the least liked number one tennis players in
history in terms of personality.

Court_1

Jul 10, 2011, 6:20:10 PM7/10/11

Oh I suppose you really KNOW who Sampras is. Give me a break. Fans
don't know these athletes from Adam. Sampras could be a complete freak
for all we know. I am never taken in by marketing images and I would
be the last person to claim to know any athlete but Sampras had no
personality whatsoever; Agassi did.
Who cares if you don't agree. He did not earn a net worth of over 100
million by being unpopular or not likeable.

Court_1

Jul 10, 2011, 6:16:01 PM7/10/11
> like the current guys.  It takes great character to not go with the flow.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, he played tennis very well, nobody in his/her right mind would
ever question that. We are simply talking about personality and
marketing potential. Sampras had neither and was a terrible ambassodor
for the sport. He was no Federer or Agassi in that respect.

Court_1

Jul 10, 2011, 6:31:00 PM7/10/11
On Jul 10, 12:59 pm, bob <stein...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 11:28:14 -0500, steve jaros <sjar...@chill.com>
> bob- Hide quoted text -

NO, we can't agree. That comment is 100% not true. A star cannot be
made out of somebody who does not have star quality. You can't create
that. Sure you can try to package him/her in a certain way, but, there
has to be an innate quality that the person has for him/her to
resonate with the public.

Court_1

Jul 10, 2011, 6:25:56 PM7/10/11
On Jul 10, 9:36 am, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com> wrote:
> On 10/07/2011 11:10 PM, bob wrote:

> >> Athletic success has little to do with endorsement success,
> >> unfortunately. How many years did Anna Kournikova earn the most money on
> >> the WTA tour through endorsements despite never once winning a WTA
> >> single's title?
> >> Regarding Kournikova, look at the "Anna Kournikova" reference in
> >> "Influences on Popular Culture" to Texas Hold 'em below.
> >> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Kournikova>
>
> > no doubt, although she sold sex. i'm not sure what agassi was selling.
> > :-)
>
> > bob
>
> Exactly.  I mean George Clooney I can buy as a good looking guy women
> are attracted to, but Agassi....?  No comprehendo.- Hide quoted text -

You don't have to comprehend it. Agassi is attractive and has
charisma. Re George Clooney, he is the biggest closet case in
Hollywood. If you believe in the image Hollywood has projected for
him, you are the dummy. 100% fruit of the loom. Only the idiot masses
would believe Clooney is a straight heartthrob. He is Rock Hudson in
every way. My parents have really good friends who have a home in Lake
Como. Clooney also has a home there and apparently it is no secret
that Clooney is not the "man" he claims to be.

Court_1

Jul 10, 2011, 6:35:41 PM7/10/11
On Jul 10, 4:57 pm, steve jaros <sjar...@chill.com> wrote:
> On 7/10/2011 2:06 PM, bob wrote:
>

> > On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 13:51:20 -0500, steve jaros<sjar...@chill.com>

> > wrote:

> - Steve Biko- Hide quoted text -

100%. Kim, Paris, etc. are the biggest morons on the planet and for
the life of me I can't figure out how they became so popular with the
idiot masses but they did. We don't have to like them but obviously a
lot of people do, stupid people I am sure, but people nonetheless.

Agassi is no Paris Hilton. He has made a difference from taking what
he earned from tennis and giving back. He has that "it" quality. Lendl
and Sampras are two of the worst personalities in tennis. They could
not sell ice to Eskimos.

bob

Jul 10, 2011, 7:31:54 PM7/10/11

sampras was slightly arrogant, agassi not so;
sampras very cheap, expected others to pay his dinner bill, agassi
would pay for the whole table of strangers.

but who cares, and how relevant are things like these as to who is a
"better human" or who is "more interesting?" "rock and roll agassi"
was a fan of james taylor as i recall, not megadeath.

bottom line is N-I-K-E liked agassi's long hair and chose to promote
him.

bob

bob

Jul 10, 2011, 7:39:40 PM7/10/11

if u say so.

> I know those images
>are created and it tells us little about the real person. So telling
>me I don't know what I am talking about with respect to any tennis
>player is way off base. Just because you are a crazed Sampras fan does
>not mean every other tennis fan has to feel the same way about him.

me a crazed sampras fan? i don't like sampras all that much off court.

>The fact is like him or not, Agassi had charisma hence the many
>endorsements he had. Those big companies like Nike do not go with
>tennis players who can't market their product and have personalities
>of ants.

sure they do - they can create a fake image of someone that sells, but
it's not even the real person. happens all the time.

> You can say you don't like Agassi and that is fine

? i never said i don't like agassi. i thought because of this nice
*gig* nike and usta had going that agassi could bring in some more
fans.

> but you
>would have to be deaf dumb and blind if you did not at least concede
>that Agassi was more popular than Sampras both with fans and sponsors.

he was. he was promoted by nike, they thought they could sell the
rebel image - and proved correct.

>Whether you think so or not, the reality is Sampras could NEVER
>compete with Agassi in terms of being likeable, having charisma etc.
>Sampras was a tennis great but he was not lucky enough to have been
>born with or to have cultivated anything resembling a personality. He
>is probably one of the least liked number one tennis players in
>history in terms of personality.

you're confusing the "personality" that nike advertised with real
people IMO. they sold a product. he fit the bill for the sales pitch.
he's no more or less interesting, as a human being, than sampras or
chang.

bob

TT

Jul 10, 2011, 7:43:30 PM7/10/11
11.7.2011 2:31, bob kirjoitti:

> but who cares, and how relevant are things like these as to who is a
> "better human" or who is "more interesting?"

Well we're here to search am unbeatable tennis player who is also a
saint. When we find one he will be nominated as Jesus-candidate.

bob

Jul 10, 2011, 7:44:59 PM7/10/11
On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 15:57:17 -0500, steve jaros <sja...@chill.com>
wrote:

IMO that aspect is she had an influenctial father and more influential
step father. w/out them, she's nobody. wheras, lots of people who made
in entertainment/sports made it on their own. i'll say this for agassi
- he was chosen by nike, he fit their profile, but at least he came up
on his own.

>but back to tennis: the bottom line is that nike signed a lot of guys,
>like sampras and agassi, and only agassi captured the imagination of the
>broader public, become a celebrity far beyond tennis.
>he obviously had charisma that lendl/sampras types lacked.

i'll say his looks fit the profile of a rebel they were looking for.

bob

bob

Jul 10, 2011, 7:48:41 PM7/10/11

because, once again, let me repeat, the media machine can create
nearly anyone they want to out of thin air to be the "next big thing".
if you have a name like jenner or kardashian or hilton, welp???

>We don't have to like them but obviously a
>lot of people do, stupid people I am sure, but people nonetheless.

stupid people are *told* and *convinced* to like what they're "told"
to like. if you had nike behind you or your mom was goldie hawn, i bet
i could make YOU the "next big thing". look at goldie hawn's daughter
for chrissakes, a "movie star". lol.

>Agassi is no Paris Hilton. He has made a difference from taking what
>he earned from tennis and giving back. He has that "it" quality. Lendl
>and Sampras are two of the worst personalities in tennis. They could
>not sell ice to Eskimos.

lol. this really is a dumb conversation, i hae to admit.

bob

bob

Jul 10, 2011, 7:49:48 PM7/10/11

i propose to you kate hudson. enuff said.

> You can't create
>that. Sure you can try to package him/her in a certain way, but, there
>has to be an innate quality that the person has for him/her to
>resonate with the public.

no, i don't agree. not even close.

bob

bob

Jul 10, 2011, 7:54:36 PM7/10/11

i've seen em both in person more than once. last time i saw brooke
shields though she was playing lead role in cabaret, maybe 7-8 yrs
ago. very attractive, but not a singer.

agassi looks like he got very fat since he retired, which isn't a good
combination with bald. lean/mean/bald is ok i'd reckon. lol.

been to spago lately? i passed by there a few months ago, not a sole
in the joint. i'll be out there right after USO maybe check it out
agaiin.

bob

Joe Ramirez

Jul 10, 2011, 8:00:20 PM7/10/11
On Jul 10, 7:54 pm, bob <stein...@comcast.net> wrote:

> been to spago lately? i passed by there a few months ago, not a sole
> in the joint.

Then try the turbot.

bob

Jul 10, 2011, 8:03:33 PM7/10/11

so long as he has long hair.

bob

bob

Jul 10, 2011, 8:12:24 PM7/10/11

lmao.

bob

Court_1

Jul 10, 2011, 8:06:04 PM7/10/11

No I have not been to Spago in years. I saw Brooke and Andre there
while they were still married so that is what, 14 years ago? I don't
think Spago is "the place" to go any longer but it was when I saw
Brooke and Andre there. There are a million great restaurants in LA
though.

It is loading more messages.