Federer: Wimbledon is bigger than being number 1

PeteWasLucky

Jul 16, 2017, 11:15:39 AM7/16/17

He will target US open.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

SliceAndDice

Jul 16, 2017, 11:31:09 AM7/16/17
Roger has nothing to defend for the rest of the year. He could become number 1 without doing much.

John Liang

Jul 16, 2017, 11:38:08 AM7/16/17
He is the locker room No.1 now with two slam wins.

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 16, 2017, 5:37:43 PM7/16/17
True. Rafa was out, what, 4 months as well, so, he'll be looking to match up through the USO and then make a last ditch attempt at the YEC... :)

Feds looking like he's in a strong position.

Whisper

Jul 17, 2017, 6:30:12 AM7/17/17
On 17/07/2017 1:15 AM, PeteWasLucky wrote:

There's no comparison.

---
http://www.avg.com

Whisper

Jul 17, 2017, 6:48:08 AM7/17/17
He's no.1 right now without a doubt. Maybe if Rafa wins USO it's a coin
toss.

RaspingDrive

Jul 17, 2017, 8:42:01 AM7/17/17
He has to defend himself against a possible resurgent and dangerous Rafa. If he can perform another AO 2017 act at USO 2017 beating Rafa in another final, Federer will perhaps be regarded as an unassailable greatest of his era.

John Liang

Jul 17, 2017, 10:49:15 AM7/17/17
If Federer wins USO regardless of his final opponent he will be regarded as the greatest. Simply because he will have the best record in open era at the two of the biggest tournaments in tennis world when Nadal can only make such a claim on just 1 grand slam. With a gap at 5 slams I doubt Nadal has much time in his career to catch Federer.

Guypers

Jul 17, 2017, 10:53:42 AM7/17/17
Not time, talent and skills, wont win 5 Ws if he plays another ten years! LOL!

dn.u...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2017, 11:31:23 AM7/17/17
On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 3:48:08 AM UTC-7, Whisper wrote:

> He's no.1 right now without a doubt. Maybe if Rafa wins
> USO it's a coin toss.

Why would you need a coin toss? Is your 7543 filter broken?

Do they still play men's semis on Saturday at USO. If yes, Federer will have to play two best-of-5 matches in 2 days. At his age that is a disadvantage. And quite a few of the alleged clowns, Berdych, Cilic, Raonic, have beaten Federer at the majors. If his odds for USO-2017 seemed at 5% or so when the year started, even now I would put them no higher than 25-30% ; don't discount other players. Just as Djokovic stopped being mentally weak, somebody from the current crop or somebody totally new will emerge soon.

SliceAndDice

Jul 17, 2017, 11:34:43 AM7/17/17
Final is on Monday though, innit?

The Iceberg

Jul 17, 2017, 11:52:13 AM7/17/17
oh get over the age thing for goodness sakes, what does the guy have to do for you to understand it doesn't matter jack? what next time he has to win everything 61 61 61?

The Iceberg

Jul 17, 2017, 11:53:41 AM7/17/17
nah Nadal's been out of sorts except in the FO final. Saw him practice at Wimbledon quite a lot and he was quite different than used to be a few years ago.

The Iceberg

Jul 17, 2017, 11:54:26 AM7/17/17
LOL W2008!

Carey

Jul 17, 2017, 11:57:34 AM7/17/17
Hey Icey, what's the Nadal-Fed Grass H2H again? And since the USO is coming up, their HC H2H, as well?

Thanks Dood!

SliceAndDice

Jul 17, 2017, 11:58:42 AM7/17/17
Bald?

PeteWasLucky

Jul 17, 2017, 1:51:40 PM7/17/17

The Iceberg

Jul 17, 2017, 1:55:32 PM7/17/17
sounds like some real desperate questions there! haha

dn.u...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2017, 7:30:56 PM7/17/17
On Monday, July 17, 2017, The Iceberg wrote:

> oh get over the age thing for goodness sakes, what does the guy have to do for you to understand it doesn't matter jack?
> - - - - -

Federer himself agrees with me and rubbishes your argument at 0:30 mark : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxOSL0EP2NQ ("I hope I will be back next year. But there is never a guarantee, especially at 35-36.")

I would like him to win a second French but he is unlikely to play there ever again. It would be great if he won another Wimbledon (or two) but the chances are slim.

Now that they play USO men's semi-finals on Friday with a rest day for the players on Saturday, that is better news for Federer since at his age he is going to need more recovery period between matches than the younger opponents. But the odds are still for Federer at 20 or 30 % and the field at 80 or 70 per cent.

Federer's two slams in 2017 have been wonderful news, but some Fedfans here seem to believe that he is about to embark on another 2004 to 2007 type dominant run. And that is not going to happen.

RaspingDrive

Jul 17, 2017, 7:36:52 PM7/17/17
On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 11:53:41 AM UTC-4, The Iceberg wrote:
He is ranked 2 now. Soon to be 1.

PeteWasLucky

Jul 17, 2017, 8:10:18 PM7/17/17
> Now that they play USO men's semi-finals on Friday with a rest day for the players on Saturday, that is better news for Federer since at his age he is going to need more recovery period between matches than the younger opponents. But the odds are still for Federer at 20 or 30 % and the field at 80 or 70 per cent.

Are you sure? He won five sets against the biggest grinder in the AO, after playing two five sets and four sets matches.

fymido...@yahoo.com

Jul 17, 2017, 8:29:39 PM7/17/17
Agreed on all points. I remember the hype after Wimbledon 2012; then it took almost 5 years to get another major.

PeteWasLucky

Jul 17, 2017, 8:35:48 PM7/17/17
> Federer's two slams in 2017 have been wonderful news, but some Fedfans here seem to believe that he is about to embark on another 2004 to 2007 type dominant run. And that is not going to happen.

We are talking about 2017 only and he has had dominant run already

dn.u...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2017, 9:49:50 PM7/17/17
On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 5:35:48 PM UTC-7, PeteWasLucky wrote:

> We are talking about 2017 only and he has had dominant run already

Nadal was also dominant at FO in 2017. Then he regressed to the mean, the mean being that he loses early at Wimbledon. Federer will also regress to the mean and then retire, all of this to happen fairly soon. Federer's mean is that he had won 1 major between 2011 and 2016. Bad things tend to happen when a player is in his 30s. Federer may be the best bet for USO (say, 30% chance), with other big 4 (Djokovic, Murray, Nadal, Stan) having 25% chance between them, and rest of the field 45% . I am pulling these numbers out of a hat to make a point, but I do think these are realistic probabilities. Iceberg's contention was to disregard his age altogether and that is wrong.

By the way, I just noticed that both of Muguruza's major wins so far have had an odd end to the match. At last year's FO, she threw a lob on the last point, not expecting it to land; and when no OUT call came, she belatedly realized that she was FO-2016 champion. And this year she won Wimbledon-2017 after disputing a linesman's non-call when Venus Williams hit a shot long and Muguruza stopped playing the point to successfully challenge the linesman.

PeteWasLucky

Jul 17, 2017, 10:14:45 PM7/17/17
> Nadal was also dominant at FO in 2017

You are writing long pages, can you just write two sentences describing how the rest of 2017 will be for Fed, nadal and the rest of players?

Here is mine: Federer and nadal were the top two players for the first half.

Federer dominated HC and grass, and saved himself for the rest of the season.

Nadal has always been great on clay and he didn't take a break to dominate the clay season.

The rest of the season is all HC and indoor tennis and there is one slam left on fast hc.

Federer won two slams and Nadal won one.

How do you want to change these facts?

Even if Federer and Nadal didn't win the US open they have dominated 2017 already.

nani3...@hotmail.com

Jul 18, 2017, 12:12:39 AM7/18/17
On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 7:14:45 PM UTC-7, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> > Nadal was also dominant at FO in 2017
>
> You are writing long pages, can you just write two sentences describing how the rest of 2017 will be for Fed, nadal and the rest of players?

I had disputed somebody's claim that 'age doesn't coming into it' (not the exact words) when trying to predict Federer's future. And you are saying that 'Fed and Nadal have already dominated in 2017'. Who is disputing that? I am only saying that I give Fed only 30% chance at USO. Last December I would have given him about 2% chance of winning even one more slam, and here he is, having already won two more. This has been an epic, epic comeback, but it will soon run out of steam.

Then you ask me to write in two sentences how the rest of 2017 (August to December) will play out for Nadal, Fed, and in your response you write 6-7 sentences about how the 2017 so far (January to July) has played out. I have already said, in one sentence, how I assess USO 2017 : 30% chance to Federer, 25% total for the rest of the big 3-4.

Federer is lucky that Djokovic's form has dipped, and it is to his credit that it is he, at 35, and not somebody aged around 20, that is capitalizing on the opening created due to Djokovic's eclipse. If Djokovic had been at his 2011 or 2015 peak, Federer's comeback would have been similar to Venus William's. A highly creditable pair of runs to two GS finals, both resulting in losses to superior opponent. I would be very happy if Federer won his 20th title (and 21st and 22nd); I think he has been cheated out of several titles by PED-exempted Nadal. But the above-under for Federer winning one more major are under 50, if I am to make a guess.

- dn / usenet

PeteWasLucky

Jul 18, 2017, 12:43:50 AM7/18/17
> Then you ask me to write in two sentences how the rest of 2017 (August to December) will play out for Nadal, Fed, and in your response you write 6-7 sentences about how the 2017 so far (January to July) has played out. I have already said, in one sentence, how I assess USO 2017 : 30% chance to Federer, 25% total for the rest of the big 3-4.

Lol, so when Federer has 30% chance do you consider him the favorite?

dn.u...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2017, 1:22:06 AM7/18/17
On Monday, July 17, 2017, PeteWasLucky wrote:

> Lol, so when Federer has 30% chance do you consider him the favorite?

The word 'favourite' can mean several things, depending on the context. In 1982 Wimbledon, I thought McEnroe was 60% favourite to beat Connors. In 1984 Wimby, McEnroe was a near-100% favourite to beat Connors.

If I had estimated before this year's FO that Muguruza was 30% likely to win, and three other players each had a 20% chance, and rest of the field 10%, then, yes, Muguruza is the relative favourite. If 3 players have 30% chance each and rest of the field 10%, then those 3 players are co-favourites.

SliceAndDice

Jul 18, 2017, 1:44:41 AM7/18/17
On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 12:12:39 AM UTC-4, nani3...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 7:14:45 PM UTC-7, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> > > Nadal was also dominant at FO in 2017
> >
> > You are writing long pages, can you just write two sentences describing how the rest of 2017 will be for Fed, nadal and the rest of players?
> >

> I had disputed somebody's claim that 'age doesn't coming into it' (not the exact words) when trying to predict Federer's future. And you are saying that 'Fed and Nadal have already dominated in 2017'. Who is disputing that? I am only saying that I give Fed only 30% chance at USO. Last December I would have given him about 2% chance of winning even one more slam, and here he is, having already won two more. This has been an epic, epic comeback, but it will soon run out of steam.
>
> Then you ask me to write in two sentences how the rest of 2017 (August to December) will play out for Nadal, Fed, and in your response you write 6-7 sentences about how the 2017 so far (January to July) has played out. I have already said, in one sentence, how I assess USO 2017 : 30% chance to Federer, 25% total for the rest of the big 3-4.
>
> Federer is lucky that Djokovic's form has dipped, and it is to his credit that it is he, at 35, and not somebody aged around 20, that is capitalizing on the opening created due to Djokovic's eclipse. If Djokovic had been at his 2011 or 2015 peak, Federer's comeback would have been similar to Venus William's. A highly creditable pair of runs to two GS finals, both resulting in losses to superior opponent.

What are you basing this on? Fed in 2011 beat Djoker at the French and held match points at the US Open. Fed in 2015 played Djoker very close as well (missed numerous opportunities at the US Open, for example). And 2017 Roger is playing better than 2011 or 2015 Roger.

ahonkan

Jul 18, 2017, 3:05:21 AM7/18/17
What if Rafa refuses to keep his side of the bargain at USO as he has
done almost his entire career? Would it be Fed's fault if he beats
someone else for the USO title?

The Iceberg

Jul 18, 2017, 5:04:45 AM7/18/17
you morons use it as just negativity when anyone is over 30, that's the dumbness about it. You trot it out like robots, there's no thought or consideration behind it, again incredibly dumb.

The Iceberg

Jul 18, 2017, 5:05:53 AM7/18/17
the only times Fed has lost recently is either to peak Djoker or somebody serving at 140mph. Have been saying this for 2 years.

The Iceberg

Jul 18, 2017, 5:06:35 AM7/18/17
Murray's number 1 - would you say he's been playing at the same level he did post-FO last year??!

John Liang

Jul 18, 2017, 8:21:21 AM7/18/17
Sounds like 'out of sort' reply. Hang on, not out of sort for you. Just stupid reply.

stephenJ

Jul 18, 2017, 8:33:08 AM7/18/17
On 7/16/2017 10:15 AM, PeteWasLucky wrote:

Well of course it is. Only that dumb ESPN announcer on the far left was
clueless enough to think that winning W was just a stepping stone to the
real goal of being #1.

---

PeteWasLucky

Jul 18, 2017, 8:43:12 AM7/18/17
> Well of course it is. Only that dumb ESPN announcer on the far left was
clueless enough to think that winning W was just a stepping stone to the
real goal of being #1.

You don't get it still. If Federer wanted number one he would not have skipped thousands of points on clay, even if he didn't win the finals, right?

His ultimate goal was to win Wimbledon, the 8th Wimbledon.

Now he won it, he added some points that help him to get to number one if he wants to chase it.

But be I know his goal will be to do very well in US open and yec, he loves playing these two.

RaspingDrive

Jul 18, 2017, 8:59:22 AM7/18/17
Poor comparison. Nadal's ranking is based predominantly on this year's results. Post FO last year Nadal was largely out of the tour.

RaspingDrive

Jul 18, 2017, 9:02:46 AM7/18/17
It would not be Federer's 'fault'. But defeating a 15 slams champ, who is perceived as a superman in finals, in a USO final would be a great feat. I see Nadal as being a force at this year's USO.

stephenJ

Jul 18, 2017, 9:30:54 AM7/18/17
On 7/18/2017 7:43 AM, PeteWasLucky wrote:
>> Well of course it is. Only that dumb ESPN announcer on the far left was
> clueless enough to think that winning W was just a stepping stone to the
> real goal of being #1.
>
> You don't get it still.

WTF?

bob

Jul 18, 2017, 9:29:40 PM7/18/17
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 20:48:01 +1000, Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com>
wrote:

>On 17/07/2017 1:31 AM, SliceAndDice wrote:
>> On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 11:15:39 AM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:
>>> --
>>> He will target US open.
>>>

>>> ----Android NewsGroup Reader----
>>> http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
>>
>> Roger has nothing to defend for the rest of the year. He could become number 1 without doing much.
>>

>He's no.1 right now without a doubt. Maybe if Rafa wins USO it's a coin
>toss.

IMO fed's the USO favorite, but if he loses, rafa's chances aren't
great. rafa might be 5th choice or lower. but next FO, likely fave
again.

bob

SliceAndDice

Jul 18, 2017, 10:00:59 PM7/18/17
Depends on how much he is affected by the Wimbledon loss. He really wanted this one, and felt that he had a great chance. Nadal is a huge confidence player and builds his yearly campaign around his Roland Garros successes. This year, despite having an outstanding run, he has two niggling doubts that he has to contend with, Fed's dominance of him in the summer hard court run and the Wimbledon loss. Might be tough to shake off.