Blue-chip slam ladder

Whisper

Jun 8, 2011, 5:26:32 AM6/8/11

Sampras 12
Federer 12
Borg 11
Tilden 10
Nadal 9

This is the top 5 all time, not just open era. Rafa is outright 5th,
only 3 off the record.

RzR

Jun 8, 2011, 5:29:44 AM6/8/11

cheapskate should be second on that list since H2H in "blue chip" slam
is 0:1 vs federer

kaennorsing

Jun 8, 2011, 7:11:50 AM6/8/11

Good point. I'm sure Whisper agrees too, as he so vehemently defends
the h2h as a tiebreaker now... And that surely settles it then that
Federer is so obviously much greater as well as clearly better than
Sampras.

felangey

Jun 8, 2011, 7:35:00 AM6/8/11
> Good point. I'm sure Whisper agrees too, as he so vehemently defends
> the h2h as a tiebreaker now... And that surely settles it then that
> Federer is so obviously much greater as well as clearly better than
> Sampras<

Fin! :)

John Liang

Jun 8, 2011, 7:45:33 AM6/8/11

If you go back a few years ago FO wasn't even considered as blue chip
by Whispy there was only USO and W.

GOYLE

Jun 8, 2011, 7:51:31 AM6/8/11

What is a Blue-Chip slam? In all my many years I have only heard of
Blue-Chip on rst.

Gracchus

Jun 8, 2011, 8:07:09 AM6/8/11
On Jun 8, 6:51 pm, GOYLE <jameshollowa...@aol.com> wrote:

> What is a Blue-Chip slam? In all my many years I have only heard of
> Blue-Chip on rst.

That's probably the only place you'll ever hear of it. Someone got the
idea that casting the AO as a lesser slam would make good revisionist
fodder for a now-resurrected dead horse.

Whisper

Jun 8, 2011, 8:34:03 AM6/8/11

I've always said it's only slam finals that count. Fed never beat
Sampras in a slam final.

Whisper

Jun 8, 2011, 8:35:08 AM6/8/11

Incorrect. FO has always been a blue-chip.

You need to stop lying to this ng - it's easy to check up on archives.

RzR

Jun 8, 2011, 8:35:35 AM6/8/11

lol yeah right...unless finals play by the different rules than 1st
round- semifinals they i can agree...if they dont then your theory is crap

a slam match is a slam match is a slam match...

Whisper

Jun 8, 2011, 8:36:07 AM6/8/11

It means the 3 biggest slams.

Whisper

Jun 8, 2011, 8:39:07 AM6/8/11

If we convert this to 7543 scores;

Sampras 74
Federer 71
Borg 59
Tilden 56
Nadal 43

7543 measures the quality of slams won.

RzR

Jun 8, 2011, 8:41:09 AM6/8/11

once fed got 15th slam, it was all over for poor pete...it could happen
to fed too, unless he gets one more good run :)

kaennorsing

Jun 8, 2011, 8:43:34 AM6/8/11

You've said so many contradictory things that we should only listen to
what you said most frequently and recently. And that's obviously that
h2h proves who the better player is... Meaning Fed is better as well
as greater than Sampras.

Whisper

Jun 8, 2011, 9:00:38 AM6/8/11

No it's not. If that were true we'd remember every slam match ever
played in every rd, not just a handful. We don't care.

Whisper

Jun 8, 2011, 9:03:13 AM6/8/11

No, I've always said it's only slam finals.

The rest is just background noise.

RzR

Jun 8, 2011, 9:10:37 AM6/8/11

its over for sampras...just accept it and move on to cheering for
someone to take rafa out of slams before he can rack up 15, because then
sampras will be in 3rd place overall

and it all looked soo good a few years ago didnt it? :))))))))

undecided

Jun 8, 2011, 9:13:43 AM6/8/11

In Whisper's defense, JMac constantly mentions (while he is
commentating) that no one played the AO back in the 70s and even 80s.
He said it was of lesser importance than some of the Masters events
even.

Gracchus

Jun 8, 2011, 10:57:36 AM6/8/11
On Jun 8, 8:13 pm, undecided <cost...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In Whisper's defense, JMac constantly mentions (while he is
> commentating) that no one played the AO back in the 70s and even 80s.
> He said it was of lesser importance than some of the Masters events
> even.

The agenda is pretty obvious, isn't it? Suddenly, one of the slams is
no longer a "real" slam. Suddenly, Federer is tied with Sampras again.
Suddenly, Federer only leads Nadal by three slams. Oh, but wait,
there's that h2h thing, so Sampras and Nadal both in effect lead
Federer now.

Whisper loves this kind of shell game. He's been playing it for years.

Patrick Kehoe

Jun 8, 2011, 11:17:03 AM6/8/11

G-man... Joe can show you where to buy blue chips... not sure they
taste that good though...

Iceberg

Jun 8, 2011, 12:09:02 PM6/8/11

no, that was post-retirement for Sampras.

Iceberg

Jun 8, 2011, 12:10:44 PM6/8/11

yes that is why 7543 really needs a bit of revision. most after 2002
should be IDEFIX (for clown era).

Quincy

Jun 8, 2011, 12:25:30 PM6/8/11

Erghh Whisper.... So you just need one win to win a slam, not 7, right?

RzR

Jun 8, 2011, 12:26:03 PM6/8/11

lol

no it wasnt

fed sent him there lol

RzR

Jun 8, 2011, 12:27:27 PM6/8/11

hahaha you are delusional as usual

Patrick Kehoe

Jun 8, 2011, 1:20:54 PM6/8/11
Step right up! STEP RIGHT UP! GET YOUR BLUE CHIP SPECIALS!

W's Blue Chip special: http://kenyantykoon.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/blue-chip-cookie.jpg

AliAsoag

Jun 8, 2011, 1:34:35 PM6/8/11

Whisper surely meant, in Sampras' case, whenever he wanted (which was
not the case in 1996) he was seeded as first finalist already.

AliAsoag

Jun 8, 2011, 1:35:40 PM6/8/11

You state 754*3* but don't take the *3* into consideration. Too
obvious, Whisper. You were once better.

Thomas R. Kettler

Jun 8, 2011, 3:24:52 PM6/8/11
In article
<7cb2ad41-3a3c-4007...@32g2000vbe.googlegroups.com>,
AliAsoag <ali.a...@arcor.de> wrote:

Whisper is applying the famous Whisper Fudge Factor Theorem. That is,
you add/subtract/multiply/divide whatever is necessary to prove that
Sampras is a far worthier tennis player than Federer.
--
Remove blown from email address to reply.

Whisper

Jun 8, 2011, 4:18:28 PM6/8/11

lol Sampras was never my fave. McEnroe was far superior in talent &
watchability. Even Fed is maybe marginally more watchable than Sampras
overall. Sampras is just the best player since Laver/Hoad - by that I
mean he beats everyone at his & their best. Certainly Fed doesn't
qualify due to his many beatdowns in slam finals v his only rival.

RzR

Jun 8, 2011, 5:49:58 PM6/8/11

no kidding :) sampras is like black and white movie compared to likes of
fed and mcenroe

> Even Fed is maybe marginally more watchable than Sampras
> overall. Sampras is just the best player since Laver/Hoad - by that I
> mean he beats everyone at his & their best. Certainly Fed doesn't
> qualify due to his many beatdowns in slam finals v his only rival.

zzzzzz

felangey

Jun 8, 2011, 7:20:21 PM6/8/11
> No it's not. If that were true we'd remember every slam match ever played
> in every rd, not just a handful. We don't care<

Well, you can't win a lsam without a slam match, right? And I certainly
remember Fed dumping Samprasd at Wimby......historical. Seems like you
really really want to forget it?

felangey

Jun 8, 2011, 7:22:57 PM6/8/11
> 7543 measures the quality of slams won<

Oh do stop, you dreary little man. Can you hear this shoit? Shame on you for
sure.

felangey

Jun 8, 2011, 7:24:34 PM6/8/11
>It means the 3 biggest slams<

Biggest?

bob

Jun 8, 2011, 8:30:35 PM6/8/11

not to mention 3 in 09.

bob

Patrick Kehoe

Jun 8, 2011, 9:23:37 PM6/8/11
On Jun 8, 12:24 pm, "Thomas R. Kettler" <tkett...@blownfuse.net>
wrote:
> In article
> <7cb2ad41-3a3c-4007-a59e-47ea9ea51...@32g2000vbe.googlegroups.com>,
> Remove blown from email address to reply.- Hide quoted text -

STOP THE MADNESS!!!

http://kenyantykoon.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/blue-chip-cookie.jpg

Patrick Kehoe

Jun 8, 2011, 9:23:56 PM6/8/11
> qualify due to his many beatdowns in slam finals v his only rival.- Hide quoted text -

John Liang

Jun 8, 2011, 9:49:39 PM6/8/11
On Jun 8, 10:34 pm, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com> wrote:
> On 8/06/2011 9:11 PM, kaennorsing wrote:

> >> cheapskate should be second on that list since H2H in "blue chip" slam
> >> is 0:1 vs federer
>
> > Good point. I'm sure Whisper agrees too, as he so vehemently defends
> > the h2h as a tiebreaker now... And that surely settles it then that
> > Federer is so obviously much greater as well as clearly better than
> > Sampras.
>
> I've always said it's only slam finals that count.  Fed never beat
> Sampras in a slam final.- Hide quoted text -

It doesn't mean much if you can't get through the first two rounds.

Ali Asoag

Jun 8, 2011, 10:18:17 PM6/8/11

I a certain way, he is somehow naive. I have compassion (Mitleid) for him.

steve jaros

Jun 8, 2011, 10:50:28 PM6/8/11
On 6/8/2011 7:34 AM, Whisper wrote:
> On 8/06/2011 9:11 PM, kaennorsing wrote:

>>> cheapskate should be second on that list since H2H in "blue chip" slam
>>> is 0:1 vs federer
>>
>> Good point. I'm sure Whisper agrees too, as he so vehemently defends
>> the h2h as a tiebreaker now... And that surely settles it then that
>> Federer is so obviously much greater as well as clearly better than
>> Sampras.
>

> I've always said it's only slam finals that count. Fed never beat
> Sampras in a slam final.

No, you also said that any slam match counts. Which is good for you,
since anyone who thinks that any slam matches don't count would be a
complete idiot.

You can say a slam final counts more than any other slam match, but all
slam matches count.

--
"The partisan differences that emerged in 1972 were not caused by any
sudden

- Georffrey Layman

steve jaros

Jun 8, 2011, 10:51:06 PM6/8/11
On 6/8/2011 4:29 AM, RzR wrote:
> On 8.6.2011. 11:26, Whisper wrote:
>>

>> Sampras 12
>> Federer 12
>> Borg 11
>> Tilden 10
>> Nadal 9
>>

>> This is the top 5 all time, not just open era. Rafa is outright 5th,
>> only 3 off the record.
>>

> cheapskate should be second on that list since H2H in "blue chip" slam
> is 0:1 vs federer

Federer should be first because unlike Sampras he won all the blue-chip
slams.

--
"those who doubted whether Iraq or the world would be better
off without Saddam Hussein, and those who

- John Kerry, 12/16/03

Whisper

Jun 9, 2011, 1:11:02 AM6/9/11

This is an anlysis of the 3 biggest tournaments in the game, each played
on a different surface. To count AO we need to do analysis on the 4
biggest tournaments.

There's nothing wrong with looking at the 3 biggest. We can also look
at the 2 biggest & the single biggest.

Whisper

Jun 9, 2011, 1:12:25 AM6/9/11

When we look at the top 1, 2 & 3 tournaments yes Sampras has done
better. When we add the 4th biggest into the mix Fed sneaks ahead by
narrow margin.

Whisper

Jun 9, 2011, 2:23:57 AM6/9/11

Doesn't mean much if you do get through them & lose in the next couple
rounds either. Thus on balance it's all meaningless except slam finals.

Whisper

Jun 9, 2011, 2:25:25 AM6/9/11

I never hear anyone discussing eg Becker or Teltscher's 3rd, 4th rd slam
matches. It must be because no one cares about them.

Whisper

Jun 9, 2011, 2:26:37 AM6/9/11
On 9/06/2011 12:51 PM, steve jaros wrote:
> On 6/8/2011 4:29 AM, RzR wrote:
>> On 8.6.2011. 11:26, Whisper wrote:
>>>

>>> Sampras 12
>>> Federer 12
>>> Borg 11
>>> Tilden 10
>>> Nadal 9
>>>

>>> This is the top 5 all time, not just open era. Rafa is outright 5th,
>>> only 3 off the record.
>>>

>> cheapskate should be second on that list since H2H in "blue chip" slam
>> is 0:1 vs federer
>
> Federer should be first because unlike Sampras he won all the blue-chip
> slams.

Winning them all doesn't top someone who won lots of the others eg.
1 1 1 does not top 7 5 0

RzR

Jun 9, 2011, 3:27:06 AM6/9/11

lol

to get to the final, one has to play all the way through semis...its not
like laver to play only a final as a defending champion

steve jaros

Jun 9, 2011, 9:35:14 AM6/9/11

correct, but in this case we're talking about two players who each won
12. So the guy who won all of them ranks first.

--
In South Africa there is such an ill
distribution of wealth that any form of

- Steve Biko

bob

Jun 9, 2011, 12:48:59 PM6/9/11
On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 21:50:28 -0500, steve jaros <sja...@chill.com>
wrote:

>On 6/8/2011 7:34 AM, Whisper wrote:

>>> Good point. I'm sure Whisper agrees too, as he so vehemently defends
>>> the h2h as a tiebreaker now... And that surely settles it then that
>>> Federer is so obviously much greater as well as clearly better than
>>> Sampras.
>>

>> I've always said it's only slam finals that count. Fed never beat
>> Sampras in a slam final.
>
>No, you also said that any slam match counts. Which is good for you,
>since anyone who thinks that any slam matches don't count would be a
>complete idiot.
>
>You can say a slam final counts more than any other slam match, but all
>slam matches count.

they all count but they get progressively more important as you reach
later rounds, finals obviously most important.

bob

bob

Jun 9, 2011, 12:51:09 PM6/9/11
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 08:35:14 -0500, steve jaros <sja...@chill.com>
wrote:

>On 6/9/2011 1:26 AM, Whisper wrote:

>>> Federer should be first because unlike Sampras he won all the blue-chip
>>> slams.
>>>

>> Winning them all doesn't top someone who won lots of the others eg.
>> 1 1 1 does not top 7 5 0
>
>correct,

correct? ah, you've come quite a long way in past 5 yrs. :-)

> but in this case we're talking about two players who each won
>12. So the guy who won all of them ranks first.

won't disagree, but then again, more wimbledons is really a special
thing. serious now.

bob

steve jaros

Jun 10, 2011, 11:46:11 AM6/10/11

yes. you're sane, whisper isn't.

--
"when i visited Aden before collectivization,
all the markets were full of fish product. After

- Aleksandr Vassiliev, Soviet KGB official

steve jaros

Jun 10, 2011, 11:49:43 AM6/10/11

it is. Sampras can, should, and obviously does take great pride in being
the all-time Wimbledon King. It's what's left to him after losing the
GOAT or co-GOAT title, and it's a very significant distinction.

but when it comes to best at blue chip slams, that's not as good as
winning all of them when you didn't, so fed comes first.

bob

Jun 10, 2011, 8:04:01 PM6/10/11
On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 10:49:43 -0500, steve jaros <sja...@chill.com>
wrote:

whatever i say about sampras' 7 wimbledons, i think this or next yr
fed will get his 7th. he wants it too bad not to get it. the stars
will somehow line up for him.

bob

steve jaros

Jun 10, 2011, 9:29:27 PM6/10/11

the only way he'll get it is IF the stars line up for him. He'll need to
catch some breaks, like nadal and joker getting hurt or suffering some
shock upset.

--
there is no doubt that the black-white
power struggle in south africa is but a

- Steve Biko

John Liang

Jun 11, 2011, 2:05:24 AM6/11/11
> rounds either.  Thus on  balance it's all meaningless except slam finals.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, in your opinion it is always better to lost in semi, qf, r16,
r32,r64, r128 then losing to a rival.
Achievement wise losing 1st round is as good as reaching the final.

Pier

Jun 11, 2011, 5:46:48 PM6/11/11
On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 19:26:32 +1000, Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com>
wrote:

---- demented ravings snipped ------

What's a blue-chip slam?
Links?

Manco

Jun 11, 2011, 5:56:20 PM6/11/11
Fuck this "blue chip" nonsense and comparing Pre-Open Era with Open
Era. Fuck even in Open Era you have to divide as 1968-1987 and 1988-
present to emphasize when the Australian Open became equal with the
other slams. But that's too nuanced for Whimpy.