Coco News: Coco Survives a Hexentennis Set

mimus

Jan 14, 2011, 10:00:19 AM1/14/11
w00+

American young gun and Big Babe Coco Vandeweghe just won her AO
Qualifying 1R match against Aiko Nakamura 5 and 3.

The first set was apparently a fairly wild example of what I call
"hexentennis" ("the game of breaks", in which whomever is broken the
fewest times wins, the all-time champion at such play being the
recently-retired and much-mourned Elena Dementieva), with Coco being
broken at love twice and Nakamura being broken at love once and 15
twice, and Coco's surviving that seemed to give her more confidence
and loosen her up some for the second set (her first serve percentage
went from sub-50% in the first to about 80% in the second), and
hopefully the memory will be likewise helpful in the future.

http://www.tennisbetsite.com/index.php?option=com_mvx_trdb&type=livegameinfo&gid=38356&live=0&Itemid=29

--

Take a deep breath, take a walk, cool off, plot a bit, and serve
again.

DavidW

Jan 17, 2011, 11:19:42 PM1/17/11
mimus wrote:
> w00+
>
> American young gun and Big Babe Coco Vandeweghe just won her AO
> Qualifying 1R match against Aiko Nakamura 5 and 3.

Looks like curtains for Coco against Cornet, 2-6 1-5.

mimus

Jan 21, 2011, 1:19:52 PM1/21/11

Yep. Slam experience dominated there. (Not to mention the evil
European Red Stuff tactic of keeping points going until your more
inconsistent opponent makes a mistake.)

But Alise just et Martinez Sanchez in two, too (giving another final
breadstick).

All three of the wimmen I've been keeping my eye on recently--
Vandeweghe, Chakvetadze and Dokic-- are out.

But none discreditably, really.

Sakari Lund

Jan 21, 2011, 1:21:48 PM1/21/11
On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 10:19:52 -0800 (PST), mimus <mim...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Jan 17, 11:19 pm, "DavidW" <n...@email.provided> wrote:
>
>> mimus wrote:
>>
>> > w00+
>>
>> > American young gun and Big Babe Coco Vandeweghe just won her AO
>> > Qualifying 1R match against Aiko Nakamura 5 and 3.
>>
>> Looks like curtains for Coco against Cornet, 2-6 1-5.
>
>Yep. Slam experience dominated there. (Not to mention the evil
>European Red Stuff tactic of keeping points going until your more
>inconsistent opponent makes a mistake.)
>
>But Alise just et Martinez Sanchez in two, too (giving another final
>breadstick).

Now if Cornet wins her next match, that would be something.

mimus

Jan 21, 2011, 1:25:56 PM1/21/11
On Jan 21, 1:21 pm, Sakari Lund <sakari.l...@welho.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 10:19:52 -0800 (PST), mimus <mimu...@gmail.com>

Yes. Yes, it would.

DavidW

Jan 22, 2011, 5:02:49 AM1/22/11

Should have won of course, but it was nice of the organizers to give her a
bouquet.

Sakari Lund

Jan 22, 2011, 5:05:09 AM1/22/11
On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 21:02:49 +1100, "DavidW" <n...@email.provided>
wrote:

It was her birthday. Kim did her best to give her a present too.

DavidW

Jan 22, 2011, 5:22:10 AM1/22/11

Yes. 21st.

> Kim did her best to give her a present too.

Cornet can play better than that and should have taken advantage of one of
Kim's usual AO stumbles. Another is coming, though. I can feel it.