Zverev now US Open favorite?

SliceAndDice

Aug 13, 2017, 5:22:09 PM8/13/17
Even before Roger got injured, was looking pretty darn formidable. Has not yet proved himself at the slams yet, but has improved by leaps and bounds since JCF joined his team.

PeteWasLucky

Aug 13, 2017, 5:25:35 PM8/13/17
lol

AZ

Aug 13, 2017, 5:26:49 PM8/13/17
On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 3:22:09 AM UTC+6, SliceAndDice wrote:
> Even before Roger got injured, was looking pretty darn formidable. Has not yet proved himself at the slams yet, but has improved by leaps and bounds since JCF joined his team.

5 setters are different. The field is more diverse. Lots of unknown surprises. USO is building up to be Zverev's breakout slam, just like Djokovic and Murray many years before him. But he has to prove himself. He beat Djok this year in a clay masters only to crash out in the 1R in Roland Garros.

SliceAndDice

Aug 13, 2017, 5:31:59 PM8/13/17
Why is the idea laughable? Zverev is unbeaten on hard courts this summer so far.

PeteWasLucky

Aug 13, 2017, 5:36:46 PM8/13/17
> Why is the idea laughable? Zverev is unbeaten on hard courts this summer so far.

High risk game with very tiny margins.

SliceAndDice

Aug 13, 2017, 5:40:21 PM8/13/17
I do not disagree with you, but Zverev is looking like a different player this summer. All the elements of his game seem to working in unison. His second serve was massive today.

Carey

Aug 13, 2017, 5:43:26 PM8/13/17
On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 2:31:59 PM UTC-7, SliceAndDice wrote:
> Why is the idea laughable? Zverev is unbeaten on hard courts this summer so far.

Who else *but* Sascha can be seen, for now, as USO favorite?

PeteWasLucky

Aug 13, 2017, 5:45:58 PM8/13/17
> I do not disagree with you, but Zverev is looking like a different player this summer. All the elements of his game seem to working in unison. His second serve was massive today.

What happened this summer?

SliceAndDice

Aug 13, 2017, 5:47:23 PM8/13/17
Well, Fed and Nadal, simply for their Grand Slam credentials. I guess Cincy will give us more info. I almost feel Sascha should tank or withdraw from Cincy to keep himself fresh for New York.

Carey

Aug 13, 2017, 5:48:13 PM8/13/17
On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 2:45:58 PM UTC-7, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> > I do not disagree with you, but Zverev is looking like a different player this summer. All the elements of his game seem to working in unison. His second serve was massive today.
>
> What happened this summer?

216 kph second serves, for one thing. ;)

PeteWasLucky

Aug 13, 2017, 5:49:00 PM8/13/17
> Well, Fed and Nadal, simply for their Grand Slam credentials. I guess Cincy will give us more info. I almost feel Sascha should tank or withdraw from Cincy to keep himself fresh for New York.

Zverev is young and he would have no problem playing everyday.

PeteWasLucky

Aug 13, 2017, 5:53:04 PM8/13/17
>216 kph second serves, for one thing. ;)

lol

Court_1

Aug 13, 2017, 6:25:12 PM8/13/17
On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 5:43:26 PM UTC-4, Carey wrote:
Obviously Federer and Nadal are the favorites(if both are healthy) simply based on their slam pedigrees but Zverev would probably be a solid third choice. It's hc though and fluke wins and losses can happen.

The Iceberg

Aug 13, 2017, 6:39:01 PM8/13/17
so Fed only lost to guy who was serving 140mph! now what does that remind me of?

Carey

Aug 13, 2017, 7:19:06 PM8/13/17
Fed's old and apparently injured, Raffi is out of sorts (again), so at the moment, I see Sascha as fave. Cincy will tell us more, as S and D said.

RaspingDrive

Aug 13, 2017, 7:50:33 PM8/13/17
Fed tried tactics but they didn't work. It was sorta like against Cilic at USO. 2014

Court_1

Aug 13, 2017, 7:56:27 PM8/13/17
Nah. There was clearly something wrong with Federer today. He was serving 20 km off his normal speed and he wasn`t arching his back the way he normally does when he serves. However, Zverev if he`s on is the type of player who can take the match from Federer or any player. We saw him do it with Djokovic on clay and he almost beat Nadal at the AO 2017. He`ll only improve and he`s only 20!

RaspingDrive

Aug 13, 2017, 8:00:12 PM8/13/17
All true, but it happened only in the middle of the second set. Federer initially in the second set tried going far back on Zverev's second serves, then tried drop shots to move him and not give him the comfort of blasting from the baseline etc. But Federer's serve today being what it was, there was no hope for him. He was clearly out of sorts.

TT

Aug 14, 2017, 8:24:54 AM8/14/17
Zverev never got past 4th round at a slam...

SliceAndDice

Aug 14, 2017, 9:11:50 AM8/14/17
Neither had Nadal, until he won the 2005 French Open.