Enna "like a little girl in front of Steffi"

Calimero

Mar 11, 2010, 5:31:48 PM3/11/10
Henin is due on court Friday night at the Hit for Haiti 2 benefit at
Tennis Garden, where she is already getting nerves about appearing on
the same court with her idol, retired German legend Steffi Graf.
"I'm like a little girl in front of Steffi," Henin admitted. "I'll
always be a big fan. It's always emotional for me."
Henin has played benefits with Graf before but always finds it
exciting.
"I saw her once on a plane, but I was too shy to say hello to her. I
met her for the first time in Orlando in 2004 when we did something
for a sponsor," Henin said. "My legs were shaking, and that will never
change. I feel we have a lot in common, and she gave me a lot (in
tennis)."

Max

Manco

Mar 11, 2010, 6:35:32 PM3/11/10
Still Henin would destroy Graf if they played at peak. The game has
moved on since Graf's time.

Raja, The Great

Mar 11, 2010, 6:44:09 PM3/11/10
On Mar 11, 5:35 pm, Manco <musefan2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Still Henin would destroy Graf if they played at peak. The game has
> moved on since Graf's time.

you must be joking.

Manco

Mar 11, 2010, 6:57:33 PM3/11/10

Uh no I'm not. Henin hits the ball alot harder off both wings and
would destroy Graf with her useless slice.

SliceAndDice

Mar 11, 2010, 7:07:18 PM3/11/10

Give Henin Graf's old Dunlop racquet and let us see how hard she hits
the ball. And P.S. Henin does NOT hit the ball "a lot harder" than
Graf on the forehand wing.

Superdave

Mar 11, 2010, 7:33:48 PM3/11/10

that is so nonsense.

Raja, The Great

Mar 11, 2010, 8:11:41 PM3/11/10

Graf's racket is not match to Henin's racket and Henin's game is no
match to Graf's.

Gracchus

Mar 11, 2010, 8:32:17 PM3/11/10

Like all discussions of this sort, it is foolish and can never be
tested in any meaningful way. Yes, there have been changes in the game
and in racquet/string technology, but more important, both players are
from different (though slightly overlapping) eras. Suffice it to say
that neither extreme expressed here has any truth to it.

Consider that Graf--with whatever racquet she was using at the time--
was able to beat Venus at Wimbledon, so Graf's slice couldn't be too
"useless." It is also untrue that Henin's game is no match to Graf's.

I know Raja would like to believe that even if Graf were 75 years old,
she'd be able to come back and flatten the competition, but it is
fantasy. I've no idea which would win if both were at peak, but doubt
very much that it would be a blow-out win for either.

Ali Asoag

Mar 11, 2010, 8:39:03 PM3/11/10
On 3/11/2010 4:35 PM, Manco wrote:
> Still Henin would destroy Graf if they played at peak. The game has
> moved on since Graf's time.

Hingis thought this, too. Remember FO 1999?

Raja, The Great

Mar 11, 2010, 9:27:17 PM3/11/10
On Mar 11, 7:32 pm, Gracchus <cernunn...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 11, 8:11 pm, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 11, 5:57 pm, Manco <musefan2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Uh no I'm not. Henin hits the ball alot harder off both wings and
> > > would destroy Graf with her useless slice.
>
> > Graf's racket is not match to Henin's racket and Henin's game is no
> > match to Graf's.
>
> Like all discussions of this sort, it is foolish and can never be
> tested in any meaningful way. Yes, there have been changes in the game
> and in racquet/string technology, but more important, both players are
> from different (though slightly overlapping) eras. Suffice it to say
> that neither extreme expressed here has any truth to it.
>
> Consider that Graf--with whatever racquet she was using at the time--
> was able to beat Venus at Wimbledon, so Graf's slice couldn't be too
> "useless." It is also untrue that Henin's game is no match to Graf's.
>
> I know Raja would like to believe that even if Graf were 75 years old,

wrong. I say 22 year old Graf crushes 22 year old Henin in straights
on all surfaces. Graf had too much game for Henin. Henin is one flashy
backhand and nothing else. Graf also had the better serve and was more
athletic.

bubba

Mar 11, 2010, 9:49:20 PM3/11/10

"Graf's racket is not match to Henin's racket" Not only is this not
English, it is not true.

bubba

Mar 11, 2010, 9:49:56 PM3/11/10
> athletic.- Hide quoted text -

Total BS.

Gracchus

Mar 11, 2010, 10:13:56 PM3/11/10
On Mar 11, 9:27 pm, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> wrong. I say 22 year old Graf crushes 22 year old Henin in straights
> on all surfaces. Graf had too much game for Henin. Henin is one flashy
> backhand and nothing else. Graf also had the better serve and was more
> athletic.

Again, these are things you prefer to believe. Henin did not win 7
slams with her backhand alone. This is as silly as another notorious
doofus claiming that Federer has a big serve and nothing else.

I think Graf as the greatest women's player ever, but there is no
reason to believe that she'd "crush" Henin. Look at the trouble Graf
had with Amanda Coetzer, a retriever who had Henin's speed but none of
her weapons.

Whisper

Mar 12, 2010, 12:58:32 AM3/12/10

It's hard to think of 2 better players (stylistically) than Graf/Henin.

Whisper

Mar 12, 2010, 1:01:51 AM3/12/10
Manco wrote:
> Still Henin would destroy Graf if they played at peak. The game has
> moved on since Graf's time.

Personal opinion, which by definition is devoid of meaning.

Please refrain from polluting the ng.

Whisper

Mar 12, 2010, 1:02:42 AM3/12/10

He means moved on to a weaker level.

Calimero

Mar 12, 2010, 1:30:23 AM3/12/10
On 12 Mrz., 00:35, Manco <musefan2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Still Henin would destroy Graf if they played at peak. The game has
> moved on since Graf's time.

Yes, that's why a 39-year-old Kimiko Date - who returned after 12
years off the tour - beat four top-30 players last year ...

Max

Calimero

Mar 12, 2010, 1:32:38 AM3/12/10

What trouble did Graf have with Coetzer???

Max

Gracchus

Mar 12, 2010, 1:41:16 AM3/12/10
On Mar 12, 1:32 am, Calimero <calimero...@gmx.de> wrote:

> What trouble did Graf have with Coetzer???
>
> Max

http://www.southafrica.info/about/sport/greats/coetzer.htm

Take a look at that for a refresher. And just one paragraph from that
link:

"Later in the year, Coetzer handed the German her worst defeat ever, a
6-0, 6-1 thrashing on home ground in Berlin. When Coetzer defeated
Graf in the quarterfinals of the French Open she became one of only
five players since 1987 to beat Graf three times in a year."

I'd call that giving Graf some trouble.

Calimero

Mar 12, 2010, 1:47:40 AM3/12/10

You do know why Graf lost those three matches against Coetzer in 1997,
no?

Max

Gracchus

Mar 12, 2010, 1:50:34 AM3/12/10
On Mar 12, 1:47 am, Calimero <calimero...@gmx.de> wrote:

> You do know why Graf lost those three matches against Coetzer in 1997,
> no?

Let me guess. Her injured back?

heyguys

Mar 12, 2010, 9:09:49 AM3/12/10

> > I think Graf as the greatest women's player ever, but there is no
> > reason to believe that she'd "crush" Henin.

Henin's one-handed BH would be a big help against Graf's slice. Easier
for her to deal with it than a two-handed backhand player. But the BH
is the only advantage you can give to Henin. FH, serve, speed, mental
strength all go to Graf. Return of serve is probably equal.

Fan

Mar 12, 2010, 10:46:28 AM3/12/10
The little guy has a crush on Steffi but Steffi’s heart belongs to
Andre :-)

Calimero

Mar 12, 2010, 2:19:17 PM3/12/10

Wrong.
In the 97 AO match (played in terrible heat) she was full of
antibiotics; she could have died that day.
In the GO 97 match she couldn't barely move due to a knee injury,
played only for the German fans in Berlin and lost 0-6 1-6.
And in the FO 97 match her knee finally fell apart, she had
reconstructive knee surgery 2 days later and didn't play for the next
8 months.
I don't think she would have won those three days against Maleeva,
Huber, Tauziat or Fernandez either.

Max

Calimero

Mar 12, 2010, 2:20:24 PM3/12/10
> The little guy has a crush on Steffi but ...

... who hasn't, you wanted to say?

Max

SliceAndDice

Mar 12, 2010, 2:34:27 PM3/12/10

I wonder how Martina will react, if she reads this. No mention of her
at all, and Justine is partnering her, isn't it? :) I always felt that
Martina was a bit jealous of Steffi.

KNIFE!

Mar 12, 2010, 3:13:10 PM3/12/10
On 12/03/10 19:19, Calimero wrote:
> On 12 Mrz., 07:50, Gracchus<cernunn...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mar 12, 1:47 am, Calimero<calimero...@gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>>> You do know why Graf lost those three matches against Coetzer in 1997,
>>> no?
>>
>> Let me guess. Her injured back?
>

> Wrong.
> In the 97 AO match (played in terrible heat) she was full of
> antibiotics; she could have died that day.
> In the GO 97 match she couldn't barely move due to a knee injury,
> played only for the German fans in Berlin and lost 0-6 1-6.
> And in the FO 97 match her knee finally fell apart, she had
> reconstructive knee surgery 2 days later and didn't play for the next
> 8 months.

Not much compared to a stabbing in the back.

Calimero

Mar 12, 2010, 3:46:50 PM3/12/10
On 12 Mrz., 21:13, "KNIFE!" <kn...@ebay.com> wrote:
> On 12/03/10 19:19, Calimero wrote:

> > ... And in the FO 97 match her knee finally fell apart, she had

> > reconstructive knee surgery 2 days later and didn't play for the next
> > 8 months.
>
> Not much compared to a stabbing in the back.

LOL!
A knee that needs reconstructive surgery is definitely far worse than
a 1.5cm cut.

Max

Gracchus

Mar 12, 2010, 8:37:49 PM3/12/10
On Mar 12, 2:19 pm, Calimero <calimero...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Wrong.
> In the 97 AO match (played in terrible heat) she was full of
> antibiotics; she could have died that day.
> In the GO 97 match she couldn't barely move due to a knee injury,
> played only for the German fans in Berlin and lost 0-6 1-6.
> And in the FO 97 match her knee finally fell apart, she had
> reconstructive knee surgery 2 days later and didn't play for the next
> 8 months.
> I don't think she would have won those three days against Maleeva,
> Huber, Tauziat or Fernandez either.

Incredible coincidence then, or tremendous luck for Coetzer to be
playing Graf at three different places and times when Graf was
seriously compromised physically--and all within the same year!

Of course, I don't seriously believe that a healthy Graf would lose to
*anyone* 0-6, 1-6. But my original point stands. Coetzer was a pesky
little retriever whose only real weapon was her speed. One would think
that even on her worst day, Graf would drill such a player into the
ground, but she didn't. Henin has the speed and retrieving ability,
plus the ability to play aggressively. That is why I say that with
both players at peak, a blowout win would be unlikely.

Quincy

Mar 12, 2010, 8:46:34 PM3/12/10
On 11 Mrz., 23:31, Calimero <calimero...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Henin said. "My legs were shaking, and that will never
> change. "

Was she afraid somebody could "jump out of the bush" and stab her with
a boning knife?

Calimero

Mar 13, 2010, 4:13:01 AM3/13/10
On 13 Mrz., 02:37, Gracchus <cernunn...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 12, 2:19 pm, Calimero <calimero...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Wrong.
> > In the 97 AO match (played in terrible heat) she was full of
> > antibiotics; she could have died that day.
> > In the GO 97 match she couldn't barely move due to a knee injury,
> > played only for the German fans in Berlin and lost 0-6 1-6.
> > And in the FO 97 match her knee finally fell apart, she had
> > reconstructive knee surgery 2 days later and didn't play for the next
> > 8 months.
> > I don't think she would have won those three days against Maleeva,
> > Huber, Tauziat or Fernandez either.
>
> Incredible coincidence then, or tremendous luck for Coetzer to be
> playing Graf at three different places and times when Graf was
> seriously compromised physically--and all within the same year!

Graf played only 5 matches against top 15 players that year.
Lost those three matches to Coetzer, won against Majoli at the AO in a
earlier round (without antibiotics) and beat Spirlea in a close three-
setter in Strasbourg (where she beat Coetzer, too).

BTW, Graf is 11-4 against Coetzer. In 8 of Graf's wins Coetzer didn't
make more than 5 games.

Max