Federer's greatest mistake

Tuan

Jul 16, 2017, 11:45:11 AM7/16/17
Not taking 6 months off in 2013. If he did he would have > 20 majors by now. It's now clear that he was getting stale. His freedom from serious injury, ironically, kept him from achieving even more.

kaennorsing

Jul 16, 2017, 7:24:30 PM7/16/17
Op zondag 16 juli 2017 17:45:11 UTC+2 schreef Tuan:
> Not taking 6 months off in 2013. If he did he would have > 20 majors by now. It's now clear that he was getting stale. His freedom from serious injury, ironically, kept him from achieving even more.

I agree. I think an earlier break would have greatly benefitted him like this year. Earlier switch to the bigger frame would have helped as well. As it was he was close to winning majors on a number of occasions, particularly against peak Djoker. A half of a procent here and there could have made all the difference.

John Liang

Jul 17, 2017, 1:27:23 AM7/17/17
Taking on new coaches like Edberg/Ljubu instead of sticking with Annacone would have helped him too.

The Iceberg

Jul 17, 2017, 4:02:01 AM7/17/17
yes, totally agree, Annacone was totally pointless.

steveh...@yahoo.com.au

Jul 17, 2017, 7:39:31 AM7/17/17
On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 1:45:11 AM UTC+10, Tuan wrote:
> Not taking 6 months off in 2013. If he did he would have > 20 majors by now. It's now clear that he was getting stale. His freedom from serious injury, ironically, kept him from achieving even more.

Maybe, maybe not. In 2014, he still has to deal with Djokovic and Nadal before they fall off cliffs. And he's never had the type of bad run that suggests total burnout (eg Nadal 2015-2016).

On the other hand, his two slams this year are because he's always hanging around at the end of the big tournaments and everyone else blinked when he never has. Could just as easily happened in 2015 whereas, in hindsight, 6 months off in 2013 wouldn't have had him beating Djokovic then.