Oudin

mimus

Oct 27, 2010, 10:54:22 AM10/27/10
Don'tcha think the people writing Melanie Oudin off after this year
are discounting the usual "sophomore slump" after a breakout year?

--

Take a deep breath, take a walk, cool off, plot a bit, and serve
again.

Yama

Oct 27, 2010, 12:49:20 PM10/27/10
mimus <mim...@gmail.com> wrote:
: Don'tcha think the people writing Melanie Oudin off after this year

: are discounting the usual "sophomore slump" after a breakout year?

Often, "sophomore slump" is sort of an illusion. Player has one excellent
result and gets attention, then can't repeat it next year but plays otherwise solid
year, thus creating illusion of "slump".

It is too early to write Oudin off, but looking at her results, it is obvious that
they have tailed off since spring.

bob

Oct 27, 2010, 7:42:56 PM10/27/10
On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 07:54:22 -0700 (PDT), mimus <mim...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Don'tcha think the people writing Melanie Oudin off after this year
>are discounting the usual "sophomore slump" after a breakout year?

i wrote her off last yr. seriously.

bob

Fan

Oct 28, 2010, 1:35:46 AM10/28/10
The flaw in these posts and the thinking behind them is that they only
value those who win everything all the time. Other players, who
perform to the limits of their abilities while not achieving as much
are also successful in my book.
This is how judge all achievements.
I believe that Oudin had to overcome much more than most people to
become a tennis professional.

Calimero

Oct 28, 2010, 1:37:50 AM10/28/10
On 27 Okt., 16:54, mimus <mimu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Don'tcha think the people writing Melanie Oudin off after this year
> are discounting the usual "sophomore slump" after a breakout year?

Who is she?

Max

m4816k

Oct 28, 2010, 3:45:23 AM10/28/10
"Fan" <Turnag...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Well said.

mimus

Oct 28, 2010, 9:54:03 AM10/28/10
On Oct 27, 12:49 pm, Yama <tj...@NOSPAMpajuoulu.fi> wrote:

I think there's more to the "sophomore slump", in that other players
are more familiar the second season 'round with what it is you brought
to your game and broke out with.

Then starts the long slog of polishing assets and patching holes in
the game.

bob

Oct 28, 2010, 6:47:48 PM10/28/10

that's sweet, but did oudin overcome some hardships that i'm not aware
of? from what i read, her mom is a stage mom and home schooled her
from middle school onward to promote a tennis life. IMO, that's much
easier path than most people get...and she's not 5'2".

bob

mimus

Oct 29, 2010, 9:38:23 AM10/29/10
On Oct 28, 6:47 pm, bob <stein...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 22:35:46 -0700 (PDT), Fan

She's from Georgia <shudder>.

MBDunc

Oct 29, 2010, 11:25:00 AM10/29/10
On 28 loka, 02:42, bob <stein...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 07:54:22 -0700 (PDT), mimus <mimu...@gmail.com>

> wrote:
>
> >Don'tcha think the people writing Melanie Oudin off after this year
> >are discounting the usual "sophomore slump" after a breakout year?
>
> i wrote her off last yr. seriously.
>
> bob

One of you better judgments. I never undersood the fuzz. It was clear
that she just got early career ultra-lucky streak with opponents
giving it out and none of her play qualities actually impressed (very
light-weight version of Wozniaki at the best).

May be gets regular top20. May be even visits top10 but slam
finalist?.....no...no...no....she is destined to be Donald Young of
WTA....(relatively our dear Oudin probably will be regular top20
player in a long run but D.Young....year after year struggling to stay
around top100-top150).

.mikko

bob

Oct 29, 2010, 6:04:00 PM10/29/10
On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 06:38:23 -0700 (PDT), mimus <mim...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Oct 28, 6:47 pm, bob <stein...@comcast.net> wrote:

so is elton john.
agree, i hate georgia, personally.
don't care much for oudin either.

bob

bob

Oct 29, 2010, 6:05:16 PM10/29/10

i think she has the fortitude, effort and athleticism to be top 20 for
a good 3-5yrs. and that's as far as it goes.

bob