(OT) A washed-up hoodwinker fish

Pelle Svanslös

Mar 1, 2019, 12:43:33 AM3/1/19
(CNN) This is the extraordinary tale of how a massive, strange-looking
fish wound up on a beach on the other side of the world from where it lives.

The seven-foot fish washed up at UC Santa Barbara's Coal Oil Point
Reserve in Southern California last week. Researchers first thought it
was a similar and more common species of sunfish -- until someone posted
photos on a nature site and experts weighed in.

It turned out to be a species never seen before in North America. It's
called the hoodwinker sunfish.

"When the clear pictures came through, I thought there was no doubt.
This is totally a hoodwinker," said Marianne Nyegaard, a marine
scientist who discovered the species in 2017. "I couldn't believe it. I
nearly fell out of my rocking chair".

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/28/us/hoodwinker-sunfish-north-america-trnd/index.html

A seven foot hoodwinker fish? Horrible!

TT