Memorable Quotes from RST Archives, #9

Sao Paulo Swallow

Oct 2, 2010, 1:32:39 PM10/2/10
Please see * at bottom.

But first: I'd almost forgotten this infamous Whisper canard. From
Jan. 6, 2007, a conversation between someone named Speedy, Whisper
and, finally, Yury:

>> 1- We know that Fed won his only matchup against Sampras when he was
>> two years away from his first slam, and 2.5 years of his peak period.
>> Still beat a sampras who had not lost since five years at wimbledon (31
>> matches), who played final at us open that year,
>> and who won us open only a year after !!!!
>> When fed beat sampras in five, it was sampras first five set loss ever
>> at wimbledon. Sampras himself admitted that he (sampras) played very
>> good tennis that day

> Yes, but why are you ignoring the amazingly obvious fact Sampras couldn't
> win a title of any description for > 2 yrs when he lost that match?

???? he was friggin' defending champ !!

* MQfRSTA may take a brief break while I search for the perfect quotes
between Whisper and either Robin or Mikko, my favorites among his
opponents. If anyone remembers particularly great exchanges between
Whisper and one of these two, let me know and I'll try to track them
down. TIA.

bob

Oct 2, 2010, 2:00:47 PM10/2/10
On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 10:32:39 -0700 (PDT), Sao Paulo Swallow
<Sao_Paul...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Please see * at bottom.
>
>But first: I'd almost forgotten this infamous Whisper canard. From
>Jan. 6, 2007, a conversation between someone named Speedy, Whisper
>and, finally, Yury:
>
>>> 1- We know that Fed won his only matchup against Sampras when he was
>>> two years away from his first slam, and 2.5 years of his peak period.
>>> Still beat a sampras who had not lost since five years at wimbledon (31
>>> matches), who played final at us open that year,
>>> and who won us open only a year after !!!!
>>> When fed beat sampras in five, it was sampras first five set loss ever
>>> at wimbledon. Sampras himself admitted that he (sampras) played very
>>> good tennis that day
>
>> Yes, but why are you ignoring the amazingly obvious fact Sampras couldn't
>> win a title of any description for > 2 yrs when he lost that match?
>
>???? he was friggin' defending champ !!

yes - and his game, motivation, practice habits and focus went right
into the toilet day after he win Wim 2000. facts are facts.

>* MQfRSTA may take a brief break while I search for the perfect quotes
>between Whisper and either Robin or Mikko, my favorites among his
>opponents. If anyone remembers particularly great exchanges between
>Whisper and one of these two, let me know and I'll try to track them
>down. TIA.

while you're at it, what's the fed deficit this yr and predicted for
next dumbo? lol.

bob

Iceberg

Oct 2, 2010, 3:04:13 PM10/2/10
On Oct 2, 7:00 pm, bob <stein...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 10:32:39 -0700 (PDT), Sao Paulo Swallow
>

> <Sao_Paulo_Swal...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >Please see * at bottom.
>
> >But first: I'd almost forgotten this infamous Whisper canard. From
> >Jan. 6, 2007, a conversation between someone named Speedy, Whisper
> >and, finally, Yury:

> >> Yes, but why are you ignoring the amazingly obvious fact Sampras couldn't
> >> win a  title of any description for > 2 yrs when he lost that match?
>
> >???? he was friggin' defending champ !!
>
> yes - and his game, motivation, practice habits and focus went right
> into the toilet day after he win Wim 2000. facts are facts.

according to Sao etc since Henman smashed Fed to bits in the next
round, surely Henman should rate way above Fed.

bob

Oct 3, 2010, 1:29:07 PM10/3/10

some people like comparisons "if A > B when both non peak then A > B
proven when both are peak". cannot really make that comparison. nobody
can accurately guess 50%, 60%, 70%. but we can pretty well see 100%
peak and relevant comnparisons can be made at 100% - like nadal/fed
for ex.