Today 30 years ago - dawn of the "Golden Age" in women's tennis!

calim...@gmx.de

Jun 6, 2017, 2:59:35 PM6/6/17

PeteWasLucky

Jun 6, 2017, 3:01:04 PM6/6/17
Bye bye Steffi :)

Saved Steve a post :)

calim...@gmx.de

Jun 6, 2017, 4:01:27 PM6/6/17
On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 9:01:04 PM UTC+2, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> Bye bye Steffi :)
>
> Saved Steve a post :)

Steffi never was more relevant than today. The contrast with a person like Williams elevates her even more.

Plus back then it was Steffi vs. Navratilova and Evert.
Today it is Williams vs. Kerber and Pliskina ...

Max

stephenJ

Jun 6, 2017, 4:05:29 PM6/6/17
On 6/6/2017 3:01 PM, calim...@gmx.de wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 9:01:04 PM UTC+2, PeteWasLucky wrote:
>> Bye bye Steffi :)
>>
>> Saved Steve a post :)
>

> Steffi never was more relevant than today.

Terrible era. MN and CE were 3-5 years past their primes, and nobody
else was around.

Until Seles arrived in 1990, it was a women's tennis wasteland from
1987-1989.

---

calim...@gmx.de

Jun 6, 2017, 4:49:32 PM6/6/17
On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 10:05:29 PM UTC+2, StephenJ wrote:
> On 6/6/2017 3:01 PM, calim...@gmx.de wrote:
> > On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 9:01:04 PM UTC+2, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> >> Bye bye Steffi :)
> >>
> >> Saved Steve a post :)
> >

> > Steffi never was more relevant than today.
>
> Terrible era. MN and CE were 3-5 years past their primes, and nobody
> else was around.

Lol, then MN must have had a very, very short prime, say 1984-85, right?
And CE must have lied when she said that 1985/86 were her best years ever?

Face it - Steffi took over the game from two of the greatest ever until then, won most of her slams before MN made her last final.

Williams on the other hand won most of her slams only after the last second-tier great ((Enna) had retired.

> Until Seles arrived in 1990, it was a women's tennis wasteland from
> 1987-1989.

1987-89 were three years with an unprecedented number of all-time classic slam finals - FO 87, Wim 88, Wim 89, USO 89 come to mind.
1988/89 saw peak Navratilova with a 70-3 win/loss record at some point, losing only three 3-setters against the GOAT, German girl Steffi Graf!

Those were really the times when giants walked the earth!!!!

Today we have Williams vs. Kerber, Plosova, Magoraza types ...

Max

bob

Jun 6, 2017, 8:00:04 PM6/6/17
plosova & magoraza! lmao.