Ostapenko through to quarters

SliceAndDice

Jul 10, 2017, 8:31:19 AM7/10/17
Good to see her not flame out in the next event like most other young first-time slam winners. Her game is still a work in progress, but the upside is tremendous. Win against quality opponent (Svitolina) today.

soccerfan777

Jul 10, 2017, 8:58:40 AM7/10/17
She will flame out soon

SliceAndDice

Jul 10, 2017, 9:13:42 AM7/10/17
On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 8:58:40 AM UTC-4, soccerfan777 wrote:
> She will flame out soon

Hopefully not. Her serve is a bit of a liability and she tends to overrun her shots, but the difference between and the ball bashers (Sharapova etc) is that while she hits the ball as hard as these girls, her shotmaking abilities are off the chart.

ahonkan

Jul 10, 2017, 9:47:55 AM7/10/17
11 straight grand slam wins for the 20-year old! Phenomenal shotmaking and
a remarkable never-say-die attitude. In fact, I start feeling "she's gonna
win the set" when she falls behind. She has done it so often since I
started following her ...

I expect her to beat Venus. Azarenka would be her toughest test (expect
Vika to get past Halep & Garcia/ Konta).

Carey

Jul 10, 2017, 10:07:51 AM7/10/17
Go Osta! You da (er) Woman!

soccerfan777

Jul 10, 2017, 10:31:14 AM7/10/17
Sharapova is not a ball basher. You cant bash your way to two French Open titles. Truck driver Coco on the other hand is a complete brain dead ball basher.

soccerfan777

Jul 10, 2017, 10:31:58 AM7/10/17
Aza is going out. And Venus will make mince meat of Ostakempo.

SliceAndDice

Jul 10, 2017, 10:33:47 AM7/10/17
I am not sure Osta is ready to beat Venus yet, whose grasscourt game is still very effective. She would have to serve very well and cut down the unforced errors. Should be a fun match..

Aza, unfortunately, still has not found her timing and Halep is outsteadying her at the moment.

soccerfan777

Jul 10, 2017, 10:37:48 AM7/10/17
fortunately yes. Never liked Azarenka. Walks like a man, screams like a little girl and has a crap serve.

SliceAndDice

Jul 10, 2017, 10:38:12 AM7/10/17
Yes, you can. With the state of the women's game being what it is.

Coco actually has a nice grasscourt game. Nice transition game and volleys to go with that serve.

soccerfan777

Jul 10, 2017, 10:43:27 AM7/10/17
You need to get your eyes checked. Rewatch the 2014 French Open final. Halep played amazingly well but Sharapova fought her heart out and out maneuvered her on the court.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fBI31_AlyU

Coco is anything but ugly to watch. She reminds me of James Blake.

SliceAndDice

Jul 10, 2017, 10:51:56 AM7/10/17
And you need to stop being such a lovesick puppy :). Sharapova is effective, no doubt, but she is a ballbasher with no nuance to her game.

Gracchus

Jul 10, 2017, 10:56:35 AM7/10/17
On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 7:51:56 AM UTC-7, SliceAndDice wrote:

> And you need to stop being such a lovesick puppy :). Sharapova is effective, no doubt, but she is a ballbasher with no nuance to her game.

Agreed.

krisr...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2017, 11:02:09 AM7/10/17
She retrieves well and moves well. And hits way too many angles to be considered a basher. A proper bashes barely moves and hits the balls straight back with double the force. Capriati was a prototype baseline basher. I might be Sharapova fan but there is no way she is a brain dead basher. She does not have plan B when she is misfiring though. I agree to that.

krisr...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2017, 11:02:41 AM7/10/17
Your opinions on this are irrelevant since you like Eugenie Douchard.

Gracchus

Jul 10, 2017, 11:05:09 AM7/10/17
Nothing to do with her tennis style though.

krisr...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2017, 11:21:33 AM7/10/17
Actually you just reminded me of what a basher Eugenie is. She is practically a modern version of Capriati

The Iceberg

Jul 11, 2017, 3:32:34 AM7/11/17
Ostapenko is quite remarkable, seen her live now twice this Wimbledon and she don't look particularly special, BUT she has this shot-making thing! against Abanda in the 2nd round she was looking to lose that one too, yet came back and resoundingly won it. Normally I'd say Venus would easily win, but really not sure Venus would be careful enough to close her out.

ahonkan

Jul 11, 2017, 10:29:39 AM7/11/17
On Monday, 10 July 2017 18:01:19 UTC+5:30, SliceAndDice wrote:
> Good to see her not flame out in the next event like most other young first-time slam winners. Her game is still a work in progress, but the upside is tremendous. Win against quality opponent (Svitolina) today.

Alona has got Venus just where she (Alona) is most comfortable -
down a set & a break. Watch out for her comeback ... anytime now ...
:-)

RaspingDrive

Jul 11, 2017, 10:37:45 AM7/11/17
Breaks Venus! 3-3 second set.

Whisper

Jul 11, 2017, 10:38:45 AM7/11/17
Yes remarkable shotmaking skills, & what really impresses me is her
mind. She seems to be a 10/10 in mental stakes. I wonder if Sharapova
was a role model?

---
http://www.avg.com

SliceAndDice

Jul 11, 2017, 10:54:18 AM7/11/17
On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 10:38:45 AM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:
> On 10/07/2017 11:13 PM, SliceAndDice wrote:
> > On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 8:58:40 AM UTC-4, soccerfan777 wrote:
> >> She will flame out soon
> >
> > Hopefully not. Her serve is a bit of a liability and she tends to overrun her shots, but the difference between and the ball bashers (Sharapova etc) is that while she hits the ball as hard as these girls, her shotmaking abilities are off the chart.
> >

> Yes remarkable shotmaking skills, & what really impresses me is her
> mind. She seems to be a 10/10 in mental stakes. I wonder if Sharapova
> was a role model?

I think it's Serena.