Federer/Serena FO viewing impact?

stephenJ

Jun 2, 2017, 1:48:42 PM6/2/17
I have to admit that without Fed and Serena in the draws, I've watched
about 50% less of the FO than I usually do. Without them, it just seems
kind of pointless.

And it's not a fanboy thing - I'd be rooting for Nadal to win this
whether Fed is playing or not, and Venus is as good as Serena as a fan
choice in my book. It's just that there's a big emptiness without them,
they loom so large.

Anyone know the last time the male and female of slam X both failed to
play at slam X+1?

---

calim...@gmx.de

Jun 2, 2017, 2:09:44 PM6/2/17
On Friday, June 2, 2017 at 7:48:42 PM UTC+2, StephenJ wrote:
> I have to admit that without Fed and Serena in the draws, I've watched
> about 50% less of the FO than I usually do. Without them, it just seems
> kind of pointless.
>
> And it's not a fanboy thing - I'd be rooting for Nadal to win this
> whether Fed is playing or not, and Venus is as good as Serena as a fan
> choice in my book. It's just that there's a big emptiness without them,
> they loom so large.
>
> Anyone know the last time the male and female of slam X both failed to
> play at slam X+1?
>
> ---
> This email has been

Do you really think there are less people watching the women's competition because Serena isn't there???
Maybe in the USA, but else?

Face it - Serena is no Borg, Agassi, Graf, Federer!

Max

MBDunc

Jun 2, 2017, 2:22:09 PM6/2/17
On Friday, June 2, 2017 at 8:48:42 PM UTC+3, StephenJ wrote:
> I have to admit that without Fed and Serena in the draws, I've watched
> about 50% less of the FO than I usually do. Without them, it just seems
> kind of pointless.

Dunno, Fed would have had no chance to win. Even with his new approach/backhand - not good enough. Same with Serena...as superb she can be on faster surfaces - she has no business on clay anymore...no legs...

Women's draw is mess and it is essentially a result of series of coin tosses who will come up alive...

Mens: three plus one things:
1) Nadal will win for sure ... but 2-4 minor question marks...
2) ...Djoker summons beast (unlikely)
3) ...Thiem survives earlier rounds and suddenly finds himself as good as he actually is. (best bet?)
+) Delpo (who will beat Murray)

.mikko

Carey

Jun 2, 2017, 2:26:47 PM6/2/17
And there's Stan.

stephenJ

Jun 2, 2017, 2:34:52 PM6/2/17
On 6/2/2017 1:22 PM, MBDunc wrote:
> On Friday, June 2, 2017 at 8:48:42 PM UTC+3, StephenJ wrote:
>> I have to admit that without Fed and Serena in the draws, I've watched
>> about 50% less of the FO than I usually do. Without them, it just seems
>> kind of pointless.
>
> Dunno, Fed would have had no chance to win. Even with his new approach/backhand - not good enough. Same with Serena...as superb she can be on faster surfaces - she has no business on clay anymore...no legs...
>
> Women's draw is mess and it is essentially a result of series of coin tosses who will come up alive...

You're saying that Serena, who made the last two FO finals, would have
no chance if she was in this year's "mess" of a draw?

PeteWasLucky

Jun 2, 2017, 2:40:45 PM6/2/17
> Mens: three plus one things:
1) Nadal will win for sure ... but 2-4 minor question marks...
2) ...Djoker summons beast (unlikely)
3) ...Thiem survives earlier rounds and suddenly finds himself as good as he actually is. (best bet?)
+) Delpo (who will beat Murray)

Where is Wawrinka? Did he lose?

MBDunc

Jun 2, 2017, 3:01:50 PM6/2/17
On Friday, June 2, 2017 at 9:34:52 PM UTC+3, StephenJ wrote:
> You're saying that Serena, who made the last two FO finals, would have
> no chance if she was in this year's "mess" of a draw?

Serena would have been there as a part of that mess. A big name, yes. Favorite...perhaps...but essentially too much to ask her to win this one - too upset prone...

.mikko

heyg...@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2017, 5:11:55 PM6/2/17
Serena has the best clay record by far since 2012. Something like 80-5 on it.

Court_1

Jun 2, 2017, 6:35:19 PM6/2/17
He will. He's not winning this tournament unless Nadal gets injured.

bob

Jun 2, 2017, 9:24:36 PM6/2/17
pregnant, perhaps.otherwise, if motivated, she could take most of
these girls on even clay.

bob

MBDunc

Jun 3, 2017, 3:18:13 AM6/3/17
On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 4:24:36 AM UTC+3, bob wrote:
> >On Friday, June 2, 2017 at 9:34:52 PM UTC+3, StephenJ wrote:
> >> You're saying that Serena, who made the last two FO finals, would have
> >> no chance if she was in this year's "mess" of a draw?
> >
> >Serena would have been there as a part of that mess. A big name, yes. Favorite...perhaps...but essentially too much to ask her to win this one - too upset prone...
>
> pregnant, perhaps.otherwise, if motivated, she could take most of
> these girls on even clay.
>
> bob

Could...yes... but regular Jaros serena-jinx *) would have had now way more value..

*) Jaros (reverse)-jinx: no matter who Serena faces she is destined to lose based on <insert here normal Jaros jinx-insight>

.mikko

kaennorsing

Jun 3, 2017, 6:04:06 AM6/3/17
Op vrijdag 2 juni 2017 20:22:09 UTC+2 schreef MBDunc:
Saying Federer had no chance if he chose to enter, as in 0% chance, is silly. He's won every big tournament he entered this year and owned the one guy who always had his number on clay... Not to mention Djoker (and Murray) being out of sorts. Fed would have had an outside chance for sure. He's the GOAT after all. He just didn't want to risk his recovered knee with Wimbledon around the corner.

And Serena would have had even more than an outside chance. Probably the favorite, as in virtually every slam she enters. There are currently no other truly great female players, after all. None.

stephenJ

Jun 3, 2017, 7:43:32 AM6/3/17
On 6/2/2017 4:11 PM, heyg...@gmail.com wrote:
> Serena has the best clay record by far since 2012. Something like 80-5 on it.

Yes, it's not her best surface, but many draw from that the wrong
inference that she's not good on it. During that time she's won two FOs,
made a final, and won two Italian Opens as well.

stephenJ

Jun 3, 2017, 7:48:36 AM6/3/17
Nadal does look overwhelming right now, and a big advantage he has is
his form isn't dependent on the weather. E.g., joker tends to be better
on sunnier/drier days when the clay is playing faster and its more like
Rome. But whether the clay is dry-fast or moist-slow, Nadal is Nadal, it
just doesn't matter.

Whisper

Jun 3, 2017, 11:23:50 AM6/3/17
On 3/06/2017 3:48 AM, stephenJ wrote:
> I have to admit that without Fed and Serena in the draws, I've watched
> about 50% less of the FO than I usually do. Without them, it just seems
> kind of pointless.
>
> And it's not a fanboy thing - I'd be rooting for Nadal to win this
> whether Fed is playing or not, and Venus is as good as Serena as a fan
> choice in my book. It's just that there's a big emptiness without them,
> they loom so large.
>
> Anyone know the last time the male and female of slam X both failed to
> play at slam X+1?

Happened a lot in 70's when most big names skipped AO.

---
http://www.avg.com

Whisper

Jun 3, 2017, 1:30:21 PM6/3/17
On 3/06/2017 4:22 AM, MBDunc wrote:
> On Friday, June 2, 2017 at 8:48:42 PM UTC+3, StephenJ wrote:
>> I have to admit that without Fed and Serena in the draws, I've watched
>> about 50% less of the FO than I usually do. Without them, it just seems
>> kind of pointless.
>
> Dunno, Fed would have had no chance to win. Even with his new approach/backhand - not good enough.

I tend to agree, even though Fed should probably have had a go, given he
has some realistic chances at Wim/USO. What if Rafa/Djoker/Murray all
fail to make semis for eg?

I guess Fed realized his chances were very low & not worth risking his
new approach to fast court tennis?

If he somehow does end up winning Wim/USO it's going to be an
interesting conversation topic for yrs to come. I give him about 8%
chance of winning both Wim/USO this yr.

>Same with Serena...as superb she can be on faster surfaces - she has no business on clay anymore...no legs...
>
> Women's draw is mess and it is essentially a result of series of coin tosses who will come up alive...

Yes, in the end I decided the girl who's been promising to break through
on clay for a couple of yrs (Halep) & the old proven slam champ who
likes FO (Stosur) have the best odds of battling through to the final
this yr.

> Mens: three plus one things:
> 1) Nadal will win for sure ... but 2-4 minor question marks...

He should win. Seems the only bar is some kind of injury?

> 2) ...Djoker summons beast (unlikely)

Djoker can join Laver/Emerson as the only players to win all 4 slams
more than once each.

---
http://www.avg.com

Whisper