Skipping Clay

Jason White

Jul 16, 2017, 11:12:51 AM7/16/17
Certainly, no one will question this decision now. Remains true even if he wins a third slam. Going for all four in a year might have had opposite effect and tired him out.

Gracchus

Jul 16, 2017, 11:16:16 AM7/16/17
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 8:12:51 AM UTC-7, Jason White wrote:

> Certainly, no one will question this decision now. Remains true even if he wins a third slam. Going for all four in a year might have had opposite effect and tired him out.

I said it was a smart decision then, and it obviously was. Roger came into Wimbledon fresh as a daisy and went through the field like a daisy-cutter.

stephenJ

Jul 16, 2017, 12:22:42 PM7/16/17
> On 7/16/2017 10:12 AM, Jason White wrote:
> Certainly, no one will question this decision now.

Career management is a massive part of a player's on-court results, and
Fed's off the court decisions the past year have been impeccable, the
ROI on taking the last 6 months of 2016 off, and skipping clay, which I
questioned, have been off the charts.

---

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 16, 2017, 5:17:52 PM7/16/17
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 9:22:42 AM UTC-7, StephenJ wrote:
> > On 7/16/2017 10:12 AM, Jason White wrote:
> > Certainly, no one will question this decision now.
>
> Career management is a massive part of a player's on-court results, and
> Fed's off the court decisions the past year have been impeccable, the
> ROI on taking the last 6 months of 2016 off, and skipping clay, which I
> questioned, have been off the charts.

He's been Jack Nicklaus like in his 'career time management'... :)

The Iceberg

Jul 16, 2017, 5:23:58 PM7/16/17
Nobody can argue he wasn't sensible being so terrified of Nadal on clay as to not even bother showing up for a single event!

ali...@alinefx.com

Jul 16, 2017, 5:28:15 PM7/16/17
Who cares? 19 > 15, soon to be 20 > 15 within 2 month.
Glad I Have my USO Finals tickets already.

ali...@alinefx.com

Jul 16, 2017, 5:29:27 PM7/16/17
Or in other words, almost the same slam difference as between Sampras and Agassi.

Whisper

Jul 17, 2017, 6:34:14 AM7/17/17
Yes looks like a smart decision. He wasn't going to beat Rafa at FO
anyway, but what if Rafa got injured & pulled out, like last yr?

It's a shame a guy like Roger with such a phenomenal record doesn't have
the biggest feather in his cap - calendar slam.

8 Wimbledons is next best thing though & a mythical achievement. To be
the greatest ever at the greatest tennis tournament is quite something.

---
http://www.avg.com