Magnus Norman: Rafa better than ever

Pelle Svanslös

Jun 23, 2017, 3:02:26 AM6/23/17
“Rafa had an aura around him. I’ve never seen him hit his backhand as
well as he did in the final, moving it cross-court to down-the-line, and
also with a lot of speed. And then he had the looping forehand to high
on Stan’s backhand.”

“For sure Rafa is playing better now than 10 years ago. And the same
with Roger. You look at pictures from then and they play further back,
they play slower. When I played, five years before that, we were also
hitting the ball quite hard, but now they’re moving better, taking the
ball early, taking time away from the opponent. That’s the evolution of
the game.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2017/06/17/learned-session-stan-wawrinkas-elite-super-coach-magnus-norman/

It's almost as if Norman reads RST. On both counts.

--
“Donald Trump is the weak man’s vision of a strong man.”
-- Charles Cooke

kaennorsing

Jun 23, 2017, 5:42:37 AM6/23/17
Op vrijdag 23 juni 2017 09:02:26 UTC+2 schreef Pelle Svanslös:
This has been clear since the start of the year. Of course, both Fed and Rafa will be susceptible to the pitfalls of being older, namely a loss of physicality. Other than that, in terms of pure tennis skills, they definitely seem better than ever.

Whisper

Jun 23, 2017, 5:59:11 AM6/23/17
I would say they both understand their own games, & also their
opponents', better than ever. This means they are wiser & know what it
takes to win a certain match. This doesn't mean they play every point
the 'right way', but they certainly do it a lot more than when they had
less experience/knowledge. Does this make them better tennis players
than when they were in their physical peak? I'd say yes.

Sure Fed would have reached more shots & hit stronger winners at 25, but
he has more ways of winning points today as he better understands what's
going on out there.

---
http://www.avg.com

The Iceberg

Jun 23, 2017, 6:26:22 AM6/23/17
He should've just written Fed is "at peak" and Nadal has been out of sorts until this final.

heyg...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2017, 8:29:01 AM6/23/17
On Friday, June 23, 2017 at 6:26:22 AM UTC-4, The Iceberg wrote:
> He should've just written Fed is "at peak" and Nadal has been out of sorts until this final.

Well at least there's no claiming Nadal is out of sorts from here on out. The rest of the year is "all sorted out" Nadal.

Gracchus

Jun 23, 2017, 3:41:24 PM6/23/17
On Friday, June 23, 2017 at 12:02:26 AM UTC-7, Pelle Svanslös wrote
-- Charles Cooke

The only significant thing Norman ever did is bang Hingis. Unless he wants to talk about that, who cares what he says?

Guypers

Jun 23, 2017, 4:12:07 PM6/23/17
So did a lot of dicks! Pass too?

undecided

Jun 23, 2017, 7:27:14 PM6/23/17
Movement is worse, much worse. Backhand was phenomenal.