Roddick vs Delpotro

Bharath Purohit

Aug 15, 2017, 12:28:14 PM8/15/17
Got into a nice argument for Delpotro vs Roddick today.

Who do you guys think is the better player? Here are some stats to help

Roddick vs Del Potro stats comparison :

~

Grand slam finals reached

Roddick : 5
Delpotro : 1

~

Masters thousand finals reached and won

Roddick : 5 wins , 4 loss
Del Potro : 0 wins , 3 loss

~

Total Career titles

Roddick : 32
Delpotro : 19

~

Top 10 wins

Roddick : 36
Delpotro: 38

~

Best of 5 sets won

Roddick : 160
Del potro : 86

~

ATP semi finals reached and won

Roddick : 96 reached , 56 won
Delpotro : 60 reached , 35 won

~

QF of a slam

Roddick : 19
Delpotro: 9

~

Semis of a slam

Roddick : 10
Delpotro: 3

~

PeteWasLucky

Aug 15, 2017, 12:44:50 PM8/15/17
Del Potro has been unlucky with many bad injuries, and I will choose DelPotro as the better player.

TennisGuy

Aug 15, 2017, 4:01:41 PM8/15/17
On 8/15/2017 12:44 PM, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> Del Potro has been unlucky with many bad injuries, and I will choose
> DelPotro as the better player.

That pretty much sums it up.

Bharath Purohit

Aug 16, 2017, 3:42:05 AM8/16/17
Roddick had his shares of injuries too

The Iceberg

Aug 16, 2017, 4:47:27 AM8/16/17
Nah Roddick was better on average, all those Wimbledon finals and only losing to that guy who kept bunting his serve back with those very very dull sliced returns ad infinitum, it was good when Potro whooped him!

Manuel aka Xax

Aug 16, 2017, 5:26:30 AM8/16/17
Le mercredi 16 août 2017 09:42:05 UTC+2, Bharath Purohit a écrit :
> Roddick had his shares of injuries too

Including DC & Olympic cannot but favor DelPotro.

Plus DelPotro has to play all 5 multi-slammists of his era (I cannot set Wawrinka aside, given his own slam results).
Roddick was playing during an "in between" era, mostly (and way too repeatedly for his, if not tennis, own good !) having to deal with Federer.

Bharath Purohit

Aug 16, 2017, 7:18:12 AM8/16/17
Well , Birthday boy , Roddick had the misfortune to run into absolute Peak Federer as well.

5 slam finals and 9 masters finals beats 1 slam final and zero masters titles i guess

Whisper

Aug 17, 2017, 10:04:30 AM8/17/17
This is a joke right? Potro is a complete moron who played well in 1
tournament in his life.

---
http://www.avg.com

Whisper

Aug 17, 2017, 10:06:37 AM8/17/17
On 16/08/2017 2:44 AM, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> Del Potro has been unlucky with many bad injuries, and I will choose DelPotro as the better player.

I'm not surprised.

Court_1

Aug 17, 2017, 10:26:44 AM8/17/17
LOL. I had a feeling you would enter this thread and make a comment like that.

😭

Yeah, it's hard to know with Del Potro how much of his clowning was due to injuries and how much due to other factors. I mean the guy has never won a Masters 1000 event. Surely, he should have been able to do that in his good periods if he was so fabulous. He's a weird player, very hot and cold at the best of times. When he's "on" he can beat any of the Big Four players though, which is something I guess.

Guypers

Aug 17, 2017, 10:47:13 AM8/17/17
Roddick could never Fed if his life depended on it!!

Whisper

Aug 17, 2017, 11:40:40 AM8/17/17
Potro's win over Fed in USO final was a fluke. It should have been 63
76 64, or at worst 63 67 64 76 to Fed. Ok he got lucky 1 day in his
life & won 2 tie-breaks to win in 5, but fuck me if I'm going to rate
him among the elite based on winning 1 match in 10 yrs. Go away.

kaennorsing

Aug 17, 2017, 12:22:21 PM8/17/17
Op dinsdag 15 augustus 2017 18:28:14 UTC+2 schreef Bharath Purohit:
No amount of 'bad luck' can overcome the huge gap in results you posted here. Obviously Roddick by a mile... Literally every stat is in his favor. Plus his peak overlapped the peak of the GOAT, who excelled on the same surfaces as well... That's about as unlucky as it gets. Roddick is unlucky to have only won one slam as all 4 slam finals losses were to Fed. The one final he avoided Fed, he won. Also, the Wim 09 final was a toss-up... Delpo otoh can be said to be lucky to have won one slam out of 1 final reached. Fed ran out of gas in that final IIRC, perhaps thanks to that Wimbledon final vs Roddick a few months before.

Whisper

Aug 17, 2017, 12:27:57 PM8/17/17
It's not even close.

But don't let me deter you - makes fun reading.

: )

Manuel aka Xax

Aug 17, 2017, 2:42:42 PM8/17/17
Why can't you consider his last Olympic run, for exemple ?

Also, DelPotro raised his level more often then Roddick did, when facing big 4 members.
Doesn't h2h count these days, or is it only to lower Fed's legacy ?!

I was among the few to burn DelPotro's choice concerning the first DC final he might have played (playing quite poorly at WTF instead, and getting or worsening, can't remember for sure, an injury), yet I tend to rank him higher than (the otherwise highly lovable) ARod in that One Slam Wonder group.

Younger DelPo was a bit a jerk to me, the way he fought his way back after quite a bunch of serious injuries / surgery, has won me over.
Loved his 2016 season, not matter he didn't win anything "big".

Guypers

Aug 17, 2017, 3:02:57 PM8/17/17
Yes, agree, Delpo has more talent in the sweat of his balls, than knobdick, saw him play at USO 08 on court 8!!!

AZ

Aug 17, 2017, 4:50:44 PM8/17/17
So Roddick gets credit for losing to Fed many times and avoiding Fed for his lucky slam win, but Del Potro gets penalized for actually confronting Fed and eking out a victory for his "lucky" slam win?

Whisper

Aug 17, 2017, 8:14:24 PM8/17/17
If you presented Roddick's record v Potro's to an impartial audience &
not knowing who the players were, just their stats - then really it'd be
99% in favor of Roddick, if not 100%.

soccerfan777

Aug 17, 2017, 10:18:31 PM8/17/17
Whisper you are off your rocker. Del Potro best Federer for his only slam. RODDUCK beat fucking Ferrero.

Roddick got lucky for his only slam. He is a no talent ace monster. Potty had deadly groundstrokes apart from his great serve

MBDunc

Aug 18, 2017, 2:41:58 AM8/18/17
perjantai 18. elokuuta 2017 5.18.31 UTC+3 soccerfan777 kirjoitti:
> Whisper you are off your rocker. Del Potro best Federer for his only slam. RODDUCK beat fucking Ferrero.
>
> Roddick got lucky for his only slam. He is a no talent ace monster. Potty had deadly groundstrokes apart from his great serve

Delpo's USO is as good as it can get: Beat peak Nadal/Fed back-to-back. And totally trounced Nadal.

Too bad he nowadays totally have lost his bh due wrist issues.

USO Final vs Fed was tough and Fed perhaps shoulda won but couple of crucial points in early Delpo won sets.

It still is one of those rare cases where Fed clearly run out of gas.

.mikko

Manuel aka Xax

Aug 18, 2017, 4:29:05 AM8/18/17
As long as your "impartial audience" is from USA I can totally agree with you "guess".

Then show to the same "impartial audience" highlights from both players versus top players they lost to / win against, I am totally ready to bet that your "raw stats results" won't get that much considerations.

Try to determine a player's legacy by using zero knowledge/interested people polls is mainly a bad joke.
We are, well, not really all RSTers for sure, tennis educated folks.

Some of us play tennis, and even compete in, despite their age !
Like myself (I turned 46 two days ago) :-)
I've been playing one tournament per year: the one I've been "hosting" most of the time, for the last 15 years or so, on behalf of the small club in parent's village La Bastide de Serou (http://www.comite.fft.fr/comite.ariege/23L00090_a/cms/index_public.php?PHPSESSID=332b8399277e8e24532013fadf2c5bfb&us_action=show_note_rubrique&ui_id_site=1&ui_id_rubrique=10205)

*skriptis

Aug 18, 2017, 4:59:56 AM8/18/17
Manuel aka Xax <xam...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:

>> > Why can't you consider his last Olympic run, for exemple ?
>> >
>> > Also, DelPotro raised his level more often then Roddick did, when facing big 4 members.
>> > Doesn't h2h count these days, or is it only to lower Fed's legacy ?!
>> >
>> > I was among the few to burn DelPotro's choice concerning the first DC final he might have played (playing quite poorly at WTF instead, and getting or worsening, can't remember for sure, an injury), yet I tend to rank him higher than (the otherwise highly lovable) ARod in that One Slam Wonder group.
>> >
>> > Younger DelPo was a bit a jerk to me, the way he fought his way back after quite a bunch of serious injuries / surgery, has won me over.
>> > Loved his 2016 season, not matter he didn't win anything "big".
>> >

>> If you presented Roddick's record v Potro's to an impartial audience &
>> not knowing who the players were, just their stats - then really it'd be
>> 99% in favor of Roddick, if not 100%.
>
> As long as your "impartial audience" is from USA I can totally agree with you "guess".
>
> Then show to the same "impartial audience" highlights from both players versus top players they lost to / win against, I am totally ready to bet that your "raw stats results" won't get that much considerations.
>
> Try to determine a player's legacy by using zero knowledge/interested people polls is mainly a bad joke.
> We are, well, not really all RSTers for sure, tennis educated folks.
>
> Some of us play tennis, and even compete in, despite their age !
> Like myself (I turned 46 two days ago) :-)
> I've been playing one tournament per year: the one I've been "hosting" most of the time, for the last 15 years or so, on behalf of the small club in parent's village La Bastide de Serou (http://www.comite.fft.fr/comite.ariege/23L00090_a/cms/index_public.php?PHPSESSID=332b8399277e8e24532013fadf2c5bfb&us_action=show_note_rubrique&ui_id_site=1&ui_id_rubrique=10205)

Have you won? And threw away the trophies? :)
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Whisper

Aug 18, 2017, 5:03:19 AM8/18/17
I see it as a classic 1-off fluke. Keep in mind in AO the very same
year Delpo led Fed 3-0 in 1st set & then never won another game, losing
18 straight to lose 63 60 60 - epic clown performance.

AZ

Aug 18, 2017, 5:58:11 AM8/18/17
But then he had a wonderful run at the US HC circuit same year and defeated Roddick twice, one in Washington and then in Montreal, and Nadal once in Montreal. In the USO he defeated Nadal and Fed back to back. Then at the YEC, he avenged his loss to Murray in Montreal, defeated Fed for the 2nd time.

During this hot period, Del Petro had h2hs 2-0 Roddick, 2-0 Fed, 2-0 Nadal, 1-1 Murray. That doesn't look that flukey.

Manuel aka Xax

Aug 18, 2017, 7:09:42 AM8/18/17
Didn't contested the men's single draw this year (would never have won anyway, far better and highly ranked players !) because I wasn't sure not to be a nightmare to schedule, given the fact I'm moving house this summer.
I entered men & mixed double: lost in SF to the runner up men pair , and was runner up in the mixed draw.
Not that bad, given how few matches (not a single tournament played since 2016 summer, and played less than 5 sets when training last winter, all in double with men partners), hence few "real conditions" moments :-)

About throwing away trophies, I was rather consider taking of shelf the ones I won younger !
Would collect less dust in our clubhouse's closets; and might bring again joy to the young players, as I once was :-)

Patrick Kehoe

Aug 18, 2017, 10:21:18 AM8/18/17
Great share M!

Cheers,

kaennorsing

Aug 19, 2017, 6:23:37 AM8/19/17
Op donderdag 17 augustus 2017 22:50:44 UTC+2 schreef AZ:
No, it's the opposite. Roddick gets penalized for losing to Fed every time, while Delpo's claim to fame is his one victory over Fed to win his only slam final. Based on all the stats though, Roddick is by far the greater player (at this point).

kaennorsing

Aug 19, 2017, 6:27:27 AM8/19/17
Op vrijdag 18 augustus 2017 11:58:11 UTC+2 schreef AZ:
To be honest, if a guy has a hot streak like that only to get injured later and never reach anywhere close to that level again it seems fishy to me.

*skriptis

Aug 19, 2017, 9:25:23 AM8/19/17
Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com> Wrote in message:
Yes, that was a weird clowning performance. Del Potro was young
back then and some new players occasionally have problems with
different Earth 's spin in the southern hemisphere, but he
himself is from Argentina so couldn't affected him.