Roger's Answers to Fans' Questions (chinese girl from rf.com did the translation)

Giovanna

Oct 12, 2010, 10:23:27 PM10/12/10
Q: Roger, hello! From some old photos of yours I can see that you were
once a ballboy. Do you think this experience in your childhood has
some sort of help in your current tennis career?

回答 A:I remember very well when I was a ball kid at my home tournament
in Basel. It was such a great experience to be able to see the very
best players so close and learn from them, so that was important for
me in my early stages.

Q: If, say, you didn't choose tennis, what profession would you like
to do the most? You have mentioned that perhaps you would hang the
racket after 6 years, but have you ever thought of what you would do
after that? Do you want your daughters to become tennis players as
well?

回答A:I still want to play tennis for a few years, I would like my
daughters to see me play, now they are too young. I think I will be
involved in tennis in some way in the future but it is early to think
about that, I still have have a lot of things that I would like to
achieve. I liked soccer very much when I was young so I could have
become a professional player in soccer.

Q: What means more to you - the 5 consecutive Wimbledon Championships
or the 5 consecutive USO Championships? You have to pick one.

回答A:They are both incredible achievements, Wimbledon is obviously such
a great event, so special and my first title but what I did in New
York is also very remarkable and important for me.

Q: Your career seems to be quite perfect after you completed Career
Grand Slam. Many have doubted that you still have motivation playing
forward, and that you might choose to retire. You have stated many
times that you still have motivation in tennis and it still excites
you. I want to ask what is the source of your motivation? Is it your
love to tennis or your happy family? It seems to your present state,
it's more a enjoyment to play in a tournament, is this enjoyment more
than the desire of winning competition?

回答A:I love tennis and it is not difficult to be motivated, I always
want to be the best I can be. Having a family now and having my wife
and daughters travelling with me everywhere, it contributes to me
having a balanced life.

Q: China is a familiar place to you, but only in Master Cups it seems,
because you have fond memories from winning the Master Cups, and you
have the pities of losing a few as well. You have your glory moment of
winning the Olympic Gold, and you have the moment of calmness when you
are wearing a Chinese traditional outfit facing the camera. I would
like to know, is there still anything else you would like to learn
about China? About Chinese women tennis break-through, do you like to
comment a bit on Chinese men's tennis? If I might remind you, you have
over 100 million fans in China by count. Thank you!

回答A:I love playing in China, I played my first year-end event in 2002
and kept coming back. I would love to learn a few words in Chinese, I
love speaking languages. The Chinese women have already made their
mark at the top level and I am sure that the men will have more and
more success. It is just a matter of time and experience.

Q: Hi Federer, I have a question for you. The gap between players in
men's pro tennis is getting smaller, it is particularly important for
a player to play well on key points. How would you enhance your focus
while you are playing key points, especially when your opponent has 2
or even 3 breakpoints against you? Your fans seem to be much more
stressed than yourself.

回答A:You can never lose your focus or get down on yourself, you always
have to stay strong no matter what the score is. Competition doesn’t
get any easier.

Q: As a top world athlete, what kind of change your new coach Annacone
brought to you? At your age, perhaps it's unlikely that you are going
to reinvent your strategy, so what type of direction your coach is
giving you on stretegy part? And what kind of effect it has on you
mentally?

You are already the GOAT, how much motivation of winning a title do
you have? Where is that motivation coming from?

回答A:Paul is a very nice guy and he's very calm and has experience as a
player as well as a coach. It is good to hear a different, fresh
opinion on how I need to handle myself both from a tactical and a
mental standpoint.

Of course, if I did not have the motivation, I would not be playing.

Q: Could you describe a bit of your daily life? When you have a match
and don't have a match? (e.g. what time do you get up, eat breakfast,
training, bed time, any other entertainments that are non tennis
related?

回答A:It is a normal life when I am away from tournaments, I need to
practice and work on my fitness but I get to spend more time with my
family which is fantastic. Luckily they travel with me so whenever I
have a break from my tournament routine, I am with them.

Q: Although there aren't any young players (born after 1990) in top
100, as the King of Tennis, I bet you concern about the next
generation as well. Amongst those young players named Ryan Harrison,
Nishikori Kei, Devin Britton or even Maron Fusovics, do you think any
of those could be "King" in the future?

回答A:Yes, for sure those players will be at the top one day. It is
probably a bit more difficult to break through now because the game
has become more physical and players reach the top at a slightly older
age than before.

Q:We always write to Federer (address) and sometimes we received a
reply with the autographed Federerbear. I want to ask, do you actually
read your fans' letters sometimes? Do you think the letters/comments
could help you in some way?

回答A:I like to read what my fans write, especially on my facebook
profile, I wish I could read and respond to them all! Of course it is
important to have their support and I do appreciate the fact that I
have been voted the fans’ favourite player on the ATP web site the
last few years.

http://cn.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2010/10/41/answers-from-Federer.aspx

bob

Oct 13, 2010, 5:29:31 PM10/13/10
On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 19:23:27 -0700 (PDT), Giovanna
<giova...@bol.com.br> wrote:

>Q: Roger, hello! From some old photos of yours I can see that you were
>once a ballboy. Do you think this experience in your childhood has
>some sort of help in your current tennis career?
>

>?? A?I remember very well when I was a ball kid at my home tournament

>in Basel. It was such a great experience to be able to see the very
>best players so close and learn from them, so that was important for
>me in my early stages.
>
>Q: If, say, you didn't choose tennis, what profession would you like
>to do the most? You have mentioned that perhaps you would hang the
>racket after 6 years, but have you ever thought of what you would do
>after that? Do you want your daughters to become tennis players as
>well?
>

>??A?I still want to play tennis for a few years, I would like my

>daughters to see me play, now they are too young. I think I will be
>involved in tennis in some way in the future but it is early to think
>about that, I still have have a lot of things that I would like to
>achieve. I liked soccer very much when I was young so I could have
>become a professional player in soccer.

in fact, i could've become teh greatest soccer player and strike
circles around ronaldo and all those clowns.

--well, that's what he would like to say, i'm sure.

bob

Scott

Oct 13, 2010, 5:59:29 PM10/13/10
> bob-

you sound bitter, resentful even.

Patrick Kehoe

Oct 13, 2010, 6:50:53 PM10/13/10
> you sound bitter, resentful even.- Hide quoted text -

Pete's demise as major's king has proven a deep wound... we keep
telling him Pete's still king of wimbledon, but, it's of little aid it
seems...

Scott

Oct 13, 2010, 7:22:13 PM10/13/10
king of the 1990s W, when you could still SV.

bob

Oct 13, 2010, 9:09:08 PM10/13/10
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 14:59:29 -0700 (PDT), Scott <scot...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

the guy just said he'd be professional soccer player, if not tennis.
or perhaps he could be olympic swimmer, skier, basketball player or
whatever? it's just another arrogant statement, that i wish he'd quit
saying..

bob

CloudsRest

Oct 13, 2010, 9:15:41 PM10/13/10

90s wimbledon: when all you had to do was bomb serves. staying with
that formula would've killed tennis.

Scott

Oct 13, 2010, 9:26:31 PM10/13/10
> that formula would've killed tennis.-

i was making a point about Sampras and Federer...Fed would have won
six W easy with the same conditions Pete enjoyed.