Nadal on Toni...autobiography excerpt...

felangey

Aug 18, 2011, 8:23:46 PM8/18/11
...pretty much everything you expect from reading between the lines.
Interesting nonetheless.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/rafaelnadal/8707878/Rafael-Nadal-Uncle-Toni-terrified-me-but-without-him-Id-be-nothing.html

SliceAndDice

Aug 18, 2011, 8:55:49 PM8/18/11
On Aug 18, 8:23 pm, "felangey" <th...@thisplace.invalid> wrote:
> ...pretty much everything you expect from reading between the lines.
> Interesting nonetheless.
>
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/rafaelnadal/8707878/Rafael-Na...

Wow...that is more frank than I expected from Rafa. Does not seem like
he likes Uncle Toni a lot.

Court_1

Aug 18, 2011, 9:04:07 PM8/18/11

No, I did not get that at all. Toni is family. Family is not always
easy to work with. Probably a love/hate thing. It is normal. He is
probably trying to maintain some balance in the relationship now.
After all he does not have to listen to Tony. He is the cash cow not
Tony. The roles have surely shifted now. Nadal is probably sick of the
grind after all of these years on tour.

ed scheuert

Aug 18, 2011, 11:31:32 PM8/18/11

Definitely more frank than I would've expected. Interesting. It's
got to be one hell of a complex family dynamic morphing from childhood
through his 20s. Still seems much healthier than the father-daughter
dynamic that commonly causes so much drama on the women's tour.

TT

Aug 19, 2011, 7:55:03 AM8/19/11

Yes, that is very interesting. Thanks!

I almost commented to your post yesterday that imo Rafa has often too
little confidence and I think that is caused by Toni and his "reality
checks" etc. And now I read this...looks like I know Rafa very well...

Then again I've read an awful lot of his interviews, and Uncle Toni's too...

Superdave

Aug 19, 2011, 8:04:07 AM8/19/11

Toni probably told him to stop picking his ass and Rafa din like it one bit.

Javier González

Aug 19, 2011, 11:32:30 AM8/19/11
On Aug 18, 8:23 pm, "felangey" <th...@thisplace.invalid> wrote:
> ...pretty much everything you expect from reading between the lines.
> Interesting nonetheless.
>
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/rafaelnadal/8707878/Rafael-Na...

The mistery of the water bottle obsession explained?

"Toni never let up. Once I started playing competitive games, aged
seven, it got tougher. One very hot day I went to a match without my
bottle of water. I’d left it at home. He could have gone and bought me
one, but he didn’t. So that I’d learn to take responsibility, he said.
"

uly...@mscomm.com

Aug 19, 2011, 3:32:27 PM8/19/11
As if any of this is reality, this is all ghost-written and scripted,
same with Agassi's biography, Pete's bio and Mac's bio.

drew

Aug 19, 2011, 3:33:05 PM8/19/11

I was thinking the same thing. I can be tough with my kids but that's
just
being a prick. I suppose if you want to grow a kid who obsesses over
little things,
you'll have to teach likewise.

Javier González

Aug 19, 2011, 4:56:54 PM8/19/11
On Aug 19, 3:32 pm, "ulys...@msomm.com" <ulys...@mscomm.com> wrote:
> As if any of this is reality, this is all ghost-written and scripted,
> same with Agassi's biography, Pete's bio and Mac's bio.

Can you let up the bitter, bile-spewing anti-Nadal rhetoric for at
least a second? Of course it's ghost written - but, in the absence of
evidence to the contrary, I don't believe it's written out of thin
air. The account is probably embellished, but it isn't surprising to
read about a water-bottle incident during early childhood exists.

Court_1

Aug 19, 2011, 10:51:38 PM8/19/11
On Aug 19, 7:55 am, TT <as...@usenet.org> wrote:
> 19.8.2011 3:23, felangey kirjoitti:
>
> > ...pretty much everything you expect from reading between the lines.
> > Interesting nonetheless.
>
> >http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/rafaelnadal/8707878/Rafael-Na...

> Yes, that is very interesting. Thanks!
>
> I almost commented to your post yesterday that imo Rafa has often too
> little confidence and I think that is caused by Toni and his "reality
> checks" etc. And now I read this...looks like I know Rafa very well...
>
> Then again I've read an awful lot of his interviews, and Uncle Toni's too...

Plus having all of Nadal's articles and newspaper clippings on your
bedroom walls. That helps too! ;)

TT

Aug 20, 2011, 10:39:59 AM8/20/11

While you could tell of this by looking at his beach pics.