Muguruza looking imperious

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 13, 2017, 1:44:42 PM7/13/17
Just giving some love here on RST to Muguruza... seems only a few are giving her the props she deserves for the brilliant, aggressive tennis she has fashioned out there during this entire Wimbledon tournament.

She's looking for 'The Williams Double' on Saturday. :)

Can she be one of the only players ever to put a beat down on both Williams sisters in major finals?

Should be a compelling final.

FINALLY! (hope so at least)

heyg...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2017, 2:36:48 PM7/13/17
She would be the only one to beat them both in slam finals. Since her initial loss to Hingis in the 97USO final, Venus has never lost a slam final to anyone other than Serena.

The Iceberg

Jul 13, 2017, 4:04:03 PM7/13/17
there's a lot of Americans on here and Raja, if Mugu keeps playing like the last 3 matches, Venus will be in big trouble.

Carey

Jul 13, 2017, 4:07:47 PM7/13/17
On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 1:04:03 PM UTC-7, The Iceberg wrote:

> there's a lot of Americans on here and Raja, if Mugu keeps playing like the last 3 matches, Venus will be in big trouble.

Go Muguruza!

stephenJ

Jul 13, 2017, 4:41:40 PM7/13/17
>On 7/13/2017 12:44 PM, Patrick Kehoe wrote:

> Just giving some love here on RST to Muguruza... seems only a few are giving her the props she deserves for the >brilliant, aggressive tennis she has fashioned out there during this entire Wimbledon tournament.

She looks like Sharapova did at 2004 Wimbledon, like she can take over
tennis and win 10-15 slams or maybe more. Sky's the limit.

Then again, that didn't quite happen for Shrap, and Mugs looked the same
at the 2016 FO, and she hasn't been able to follow it up.

But the possibility is there.

---

PeteWasLucky

Jul 13, 2017, 5:13:53 PM7/13/17
> But the possibility is there.

I want Venus to win this one.

Gracchus

Jul 13, 2017, 5:21:53 PM7/13/17
On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 2:13:53 PM UTC-7, PeteWasLucky wrote:

> I want Venus to win this one.

She probably will. But it's a "feel-good story" I could do without.

calim...@gmx.de

Jul 13, 2017, 5:31:48 PM7/13/17
It would be like 37-year-old Arantxa Sanchez winning the FO in 2009.

Max

SliceAndDice

Jul 13, 2017, 8:20:58 PM7/13/17
Come on, Venus is way better than ASV. More like the Monica Seles of her generation (Serena would be the Graf)

Court_1

Jul 13, 2017, 9:14:17 PM7/13/17
I didn't think Venus would get this far in the tournament but the fact that she was cleared of criminal wrongdoing in that car accident and the fact that her sister Serena isn't around as her biggest threat seems to have freed her and she's playing the best grass court tennis I've seen from her in a long time.

It's hard to call a winner between Venus and Muguruza.

PeteWasLucky

Jul 13, 2017, 10:56:28 PM7/13/17
> It's hard to call a winner between Venus and Muguruza

If Venus can volley more in the final, she will have a better chance.

ahonkan

Jul 14, 2017, 12:39:08 AM7/14/17
On Friday, 14 July 2017 06:44:17 UTC+5:30, Court_1 wrote:
> I didn't think Venus would get this far in the tournament but the fact that she was cleared of criminal wrongdoing in that car accident and the fact that her sister Serena isn't around as her biggest threat seems to have freed her and she's playing the best grass court tennis I've seen from her in a long time.
>
> It's hard to call a winner between Venus and Muguruza.

IMHO, peak Venus would beat peak Serena on grass. I remember her fluid
movement, great wingspan, foot speed and superb serving when she won her
5 Wimbledons. She and Fed won together twice before.
I won't mind seeing both of them together at the winners' ball Sun night!

PeteWasLucky

Jul 14, 2017, 1:24:57 AM7/14/17
> IMHO, peak Venus would beat peak Serena on grass. I remember her fluid
movement, great wingspan, foot speed and superb serving when she won her
5 Wimbledons. She and Fed won together twice before.
I won't mind seeing both of them together at the winners' ball Sun night!

wow, she won five Wimbledon!!

John Liang

Jul 14, 2017, 2:11:33 AM7/14/17
I would say the other way round, I think Serena is a better player than Venus at peak.

The Iceberg

Jul 14, 2017, 7:07:37 AM7/14/17
On Thursday, 13 July 2017 21:41:40 UTC+1, StephenJ wrote:
> >On 7/13/2017 12:44 PM, Patrick Kehoe wrote:
>
> > Just giving some love here on RST to Muguruza... seems only a few are giving her the props she deserves for the >brilliant, aggressive tennis she has fashioned out there during this entire Wimbledon tournament.
>
> She looks like Sharapova did at 2004 Wimbledon, like she can take over
> tennis and win 10-15 slams or maybe more. Sky's the limit.
>
> Then again, that didn't quite happen for Shrap, and Mugs looked the same
> at the 2016 FO, and she hasn't been able to follow it up.
>
> But the possibility is there.

Mugu seems a very emotional person and can get seriously carried away and distracted by this, hence the past year when she should've won a lot more. I not sure any psychology or coaching can help that as it just her personality and prob drives her play when she focused. Also reckon if she wins one Wimbledon she'll win more than one.