Daniel Day-Lewis to quit acting

Court_1

Jun 20, 2017, 10:33:12 PM6/20/17

Court_1

Jun 20, 2017, 10:34:06 PM6/20/17
I hope he's not ill.

SliceAndDice

Jun 20, 2017, 11:07:49 PM6/20/17
Joaquin Phoenix like stunt?

Gracchus

Jun 20, 2017, 11:53:29 PM6/20/17
So now DDL is the acting GOAT *and* BOAT! :)))

Now isn't that so much better than hanging around into old age doing crap roles like the once-great "Bobby" De Niro?

The Iceberg

Jun 21, 2017, 2:56:15 AM6/21/17
don't worry this is all just method acting, his next film is about an actor that quits acting.

soccerfan777

Jun 21, 2017, 8:52:01 AM6/21/17
Ddl has class.

Guypers

Jun 21, 2017, 9:12:33 AM6/21/17
On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 8:52:01 AM UTC-4, soccerfan777 wrote:
> Ddl has class.

Was good in Gandhi and Launderette!

TT

Jun 21, 2017, 11:17:56 AM6/21/17
Could be a marketing stunt to promote his latest film...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5776858/reference

Court_1

Jun 21, 2017, 12:42:06 PM6/21/17
DDL is the Bjorn Borg of the entertainment world. Go out on top and forever be an enigma.

Court_1

Jun 21, 2017, 12:43:59 PM6/21/17
No! DDL is the last person to do hokey marketing like that. If you look up the definition of fame whore you won't see DDL's picture.

TT

Jun 21, 2017, 1:06:49 PM6/21/17
Wonder who he did have to give blowjobs to get those Oscars?

Court_1

Jun 21, 2017, 1:36:07 PM6/21/17
If he isn't a worthy Oscar winner I don't know who is.

Gracchus

Jun 21, 2017, 1:43:50 PM6/21/17
Leo? ;)

SliceAndDice

Jun 21, 2017, 1:52:35 PM6/21/17
**puke**

SliceAndDice

Jun 21, 2017, 2:00:34 PM6/21/17
Jeff Bridges? Slips so effortlessly into his characters. None of this over-the-top method acting. I do love DDL, but I imagine he must be tiring to work with. I prefer his earlier work.

*skriptis

Jun 21, 2017, 2:01:03 PM6/21/17
Court_1 <olymp...@yahoo.com> Wrote in message:
I had to google him to see how does guy look like. I'm familiar
with the name but nothing else much.

So he's not that famous. At least not in the Clark Gable, Humphrey
Bogart, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Leonardo DiCaprio league.

Everyone knows how they look at what are they famous for.

B level fame. He's Djokovic type of his profession.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Court_1

Jun 21, 2017, 2:03:44 PM6/21/17
Jeff Bridges has played essentially the same character in his last bunch of films, i.e. a country hick with an accent you can hardly understand.

Court_1

Jun 21, 2017, 2:10:32 PM6/21/17
On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 2:01:03 PM UTC-4, *skriptis wrote:
> Court_1 Wrote in message:
Please go away and don't sully this thread with your usual garbage. DDL is A list all the way.

Gracchus

Jun 21, 2017, 2:23:46 PM6/21/17
Yeah, in recent years he's fallen into Duvall's pattern of playing the same gravelly-voiced crusty old coot still loaded with moxie despite a failing body. To think that he was once Eastwood's young sidekick "Lightfoot," and now he sounds like Eastwood.

*skriptis

Jun 21, 2017, 2:30:03 PM6/21/17
Court_1 <olymp...@yahoo.com> Wrote in message:
So home come I haven't heard about him, or more precisely disn't
know how he looks like?

I thought one of the things being A celebrity is being universally
recognised even outside of your profession by virtually everyone.

I'm not s big movie fan, and that's precisely what makes me an
authority here.

Of course movie aficionados would know him.

SliceAndDice

Jun 21, 2017, 2:31:16 PM6/21/17
Maybe, but he is still a magical actor. I guess pickings are slim at his age.

bob

Jun 21, 2017, 10:55:45 PM6/21/17
no - you'll see katy perry and nancy pelosi, side by side.

bob

bob

Jun 21, 2017, 10:57:16 PM6/21/17
how else could they get a global warming speech into prime time?

bob

bob

Jun 21, 2017, 11:00:09 PM6/21/17
true, but i wouldn't hold that against him as his performances have
been pretty good in those roles. i liked crazy heart and want to see
hell or high water soon.

bob

Gracchus

Jun 22, 2017, 12:29:04 AM6/22/17
IMO "Crazy Heart" was nothing special. I'm sick of stories about people who want to drink themselves to death and Bridges' musical skills are nothing to brag about.

grif

Jun 22, 2017, 3:31:13 PM6/22/17
This was already posted in ram.current-films (along with the purported death of Clint Eastwood!) by someone, but might as well link it here too.
http://www.looper.com/71486/real-reason-daniel-day-lewis-quit-acting/

bob

Jun 22, 2017, 7:49:26 PM6/22/17
On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 21:29:03 -0700 (PDT), Gracchus
bridges had no musical skills, and the story line may be an overused
one. but i thought he did a pretty good job in the role

bob

Gracchus

Jun 22, 2017, 8:05:12 PM6/22/17
On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 4:49:26 PM UTC-7, bob wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 21:29:03 -0700 (PDT), Gracchus

> >IMO "Crazy Heart" was nothing special. I'm sick of stories about people who want to drink themselves to death and Bridges' musical skills are nothing to brag about.

> bridges had no musical skills, and the story line may be an overused
> one. but i thought he did a pretty good job in the role

I watched a documentary about Bridges recently (a PBS thing made a few years back), and apparently he started playing guitar and writing songs in his teens. He said that for a while he even considered making a career of music instead of acting. Fortunately he settled upon the latter. I can play and sing better than him without trying, and I'm a lazy musician. As far as his acting in "Crazy Heart," he was fine. Academy Award for Best Actor fine? No.

bob

Jun 22, 2017, 8:15:00 PM6/22/17
it was the year to push the agenda of a "down on his luck drunk," so a
virtual given he'd win. :-)

bob

Gracchus

Jun 22, 2017, 9:05:16 PM6/22/17
It had been about 15 years since Nicholas Cage won for playing a drunken loser, so there's that factor, yeah. Plus looking at the other nominees the year of "Crazy Heart," no standout performances. In the end, the Academy probably just decided Bridges was overdue for an Oscar.

bob

Jun 22, 2017, 9:14:02 PM6/22/17
On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 18:05:14 -0700 (PDT), Gracchus
his dad was pretty good in Airplane. :-)

bob

Court_1

Jun 22, 2017, 9:41:07 PM6/22/17
On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 9:05:16 PM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:

> It had been about 15 years since Nicholas Cage won for playing a drunken loser, so there's that factor, yeah. Plus looking at the other nominees the year of "Crazy Heart," no standout performances. In the end, the Academy probably just decided Bridges was overdue for an Oscar.

Oh gosh, the other nominees were George Clooney in Up in the Air, Jeremy Renner in The Hurt Locker, Morgan Freeman in Invictus and Colin Firth in A Single Man! The only other movie from that list I saw was Up in The Air and it was a very average movie and Clooney's acting? Oy, don't get me started.

That did seem like a very weak year for best actor nominees and yes, I agree with you that they finally decided to give Jeff Bridges the honor. His performance in Crazy Heart was ok but nothing off the charts IMO.

The Iceberg

Jun 23, 2017, 6:51:21 AM6/23/17
George Clooney!

The Iceberg

Jun 23, 2017, 7:13:16 AM6/23/17
Yeah fair point, case proved really, I doubt a sizeable percentage of the population know what DDL looks like compared to Robert de Niro or Dicaprio.

TT

Jun 23, 2017, 7:49:07 AM6/23/17
The Iceberg kirjoitti 23.6.2017 klo 14:13:
> Yeah fair point, case proved really, I doubt a sizeable percentage of the population know what DDL looks like compared to Robert de Niro or Dicaprio.

He looks like Abraham Lincoln.

...Which btw was not Oscar deserving performance, imo.

TT

Jun 23, 2017, 7:56:19 AM6/23/17
Have to disagree there... good story and performance.

*skriptis

Jun 23, 2017, 8:01:03 AM6/23/17
The Iceberg <iceber...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> Yeah fair point, case proved really, I doubt a sizeable percentage of the population know what DDL looks like compared to Robert de Niro or Dicaprio.

He's like Nadal of movie industry with his long breaks.

Court_1

Jun 23, 2017, 8:52:43 AM6/23/17
I haven't seen the movie Lincoln yet.

RE DDL, he sure didn't look like Abe Lincoln in The Last of the Mohicans!

*swoon*

TT

Jun 23, 2017, 9:00:44 AM6/23/17
:)

Gracchus

Jun 23, 2017, 11:02:00 AM6/23/17
But you agreed that it was basically an inferior version "Tender Mercies." So either the writers of "Crazy Heart" copied the earlier film intentionally or the story wasn't that original in the first place. I suppose in both cases it was really character study above story, which I've no problem with when the character is interesting. But IMO a drunken old mediocre country singer isn't very interesting. Seriously, would you want to sit through that thing again?

TT

Jun 25, 2017, 5:26:36 PM6/25/17
I think I've seen it twice already...

I wouldn't say that Crazy Heart is inferior, just different.

Gracchus

Jun 25, 2017, 6:05:47 PM6/25/17
Well when I watched "Tender Mercies" I cared what happened to the main character. With "Crazy Heart," I didn't. And I don't think it's just because one came before the other or that I liked the actors better in the first. Beresford's direction and the editing certainly had something to do with it. No scene in "Tender Mercies" was longer than it needed to be. And somehow Duvall's character in that film never seemed as much of a total loser as Bridges' did. I'd never want to see that damn film again because I doubt very much if I'd get anything else out of it the second time around. And worse, I'd have to listen to that crap music all over again.

bob

Jun 27, 2017, 8:20:57 PM6/27/17
On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 15:05:46 -0700 (PDT), Gracchus
<grac...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 2:26:36 PM UTC-7, TT wrote:
>> Gracchus kirjoitti 23.6.2017 klo 18:01:

>> > But you agreed that it was basically an inferior version "Tender Mercies." So either the writers of "Crazy Heart" copied the earlier film intentionally or the story wasn't that original in the first place. I suppose in both cases it was really character study above story, which I've no problem with when the character is interesting. But IMO a drunken old mediocre country singer isn't very interesting. Seriously, would you want to sit through that thing again?
>> >

>> I think I've seen it twice already...
>>
>> I wouldn't say that Crazy Heart is inferior, just different.
>
>Well when I watched "Tender Mercies" I cared what happened to the main character. With "Crazy Heart," I didn't.

i did - but it was so obvious what was going to happen to him that it
spoiled it just a little.