Muguruza beats Venus 7-5 6-0, wins Wimbledon!

stephenJ

Jul 15, 2017, 10:29:33 AM7/15/17
Feel bad for Venus, but great job by Mugs!

---

John Slade

Jul 15, 2017, 10:31:30 AM7/15/17
On 7/15/2017 7:29 AM, stephenJ wrote:
> Feel bad for Venus, but great job by Mugs!

Venus got bageled? Wow. Good tournament but the young kid
was just too much for her.

John

Whisper

Jul 15, 2017, 10:34:12 AM7/15/17
On 16/07/2017 12:29 AM, stephenJ wrote:
> Feel bad for Venus, but great job by Mugs!

Yes, the 2 sets couldn't be more different. 1st set was some real heavy
hitting & nothing in it, 2nd set was terrible from Venus. Mugs played
the same all the way through - advantage of youth. If all your best
shots keep coming back you're simply going to be gassed at age 37.

Mugs probably would have won in 3 even if Venus got 1 of those set
points based on what we saw in the 2nd set.

---
http://www.avg.com

Court_1

Jul 15, 2017, 10:42:09 AM7/15/17
Muguruza the first player to beat both Williams sisters in slam finals?

Whisper

Jul 15, 2017, 10:43:31 AM7/15/17
On 16/07/2017 12:42 AM, Court_1 wrote:
> Muguruza the first player to beat both Williams sisters in slam finals?

Probably, though Henin beat them both in straights in 2007 USO.

---
http://www.avg.com

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 15, 2017, 10:43:59 AM7/15/17
I enjoyed that final... Muguruza showing her amazing all court power tennis... now she has to do it more than every 18 months... :)

Cheers for the champion!

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 15, 2017, 10:45:40 AM7/15/17
On Saturday, July 15, 2017 at 7:42:09 AM UTC-7, Court_1 wrote:
> Muguruza the first player to beat both Williams sisters in slam finals?

Yes, I called it "The William Double"... Muguruza first to achieve it... and both were boarder line beat downs... impressive from Gaby...

Whisper

Jul 15, 2017, 10:46:50 AM7/15/17
On 16/07/2017 12:43 AM, Patrick Kehoe wrote:
> On Saturday, July 15, 2017 at 7:29:33 AM UTC-7, StephenJ wrote:
>> Feel bad for Venus, but great job by Mugs!
>>
>> ---
>
> I enjoyed that final...

Only the 1st set. The 2nd was pretty ugly due to Venus' huge drop in form.

---
http://www.avg.com

Court_1

Jul 15, 2017, 10:49:42 AM7/15/17
Yes. I agree with you, hopefully she can become more consistent and not have another slump or have an awful attitude. With her game she should be dominating.

Manuel aka Xax

Jul 15, 2017, 11:14:35 AM7/15/17
Wait a minute !
Is it just me, or has whisper just been coulda-woulda...ing ?

Congrats Muguruza !
Not only for beating both W sisters at slam finals :-)

stephenJ

Jul 15, 2017, 11:21:19 AM7/15/17
On 7/15/2017 9:42 AM, Court_1 wrote:
> Muguruza the first player to beat both Williams sisters in slam finals?

Yes.

stephenJ

Jul 15, 2017, 11:23:00 AM7/15/17
Mugs has the tools to be a dominant, generation-defining champ, maybe
even eventually surpass Serena as open era GOAT.

But, other girls have had great skills too, and haven't done it. There's
a lot of competition.

We'll see if Mugs can. But right now, the sky seems to be the limit for her.

PeteWasLucky

Jul 15, 2017, 11:27:41 AM7/15/17
> Mugs has the tools to be a dominant, generation-defining champ, maybe
even eventually surpass Serena as open era GOAT.

But, other girls have had great skills too, and haven't done it. There's
a lot of competition.

We'll see if Mugs can. But right now, the sky seems to be the limit for her.

She is too moody to be that dominant.

calim...@gmx.de

Jul 15, 2017, 11:43:20 AM7/15/17
BS.
No chance to overtake Serena as the 21st century greatest.

Max

PeteWasLucky

Jul 15, 2017, 11:48:44 AM7/15/17
> No chance to overtake Serena as the 21st century greatest.

I don't know how he makes these :)

wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Jul 15, 2017, 1:58:46 PM7/15/17
In article <c39d04a5-4fe9-4d4f...@googlegroups.com>,
olymp...@yahoo.com (Court_1) wrote:

> Muguruza the first player to beat both Williams sisters in slam
> finals?

Yes. They haven't lost many to people other than each other. Other players
- Sharapova, Henin, Kerber - have beaten them both at Slams, but Muguruza
is the only one to have beaten both in Slam *finals*.

wg

stephenJ

Jul 15, 2017, 2:21:36 PM7/15/17
LMAO! BYE BYE STEFFI !!!! :)

dn.u...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2017, 2:47:28 PM7/15/17
On Saturday, July 15, 2017, wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:

> Yes. They haven't lost many to people other than each other. Other players
> - Sharapova, Henin, Kerber - have beaten them both at Slams, but Muguruza
> is the only one to have beaten both in Slam *finals*.

WHAT? Both of them have lost to dozens of players at the majors. From 2010 to 2016, Venus failed to reach any Slam final, and lost in the slams 25 times over that period. Serena needed a 19 year stretch (1999-2017) to win 22-23 slams, losing again and again and again to various players. If she had shown half of Chris Evert's consistency, she would have had 30+ slams, especially given the poor depth at the top among women over last 10 years. If a young, dominant player like Steffi Graf or Seles had come up around 2010, Serena's tally would be much lower. This is woulds-coulda territory but it also takes into account the context of her success. Chris Evert was shut out after 1983 (when she had 15 majors) by MN and Graf. Graf would have been shut out by the sisters if she had continued. No such rival emerged for Serena after that Belgian woman retired (forgetting her name this moment) who beat Serena in 3 slam QFs in one calendar year.

DavidW

Jul 15, 2017, 2:53:43 PM7/15/17
On 16-Jul-17 12:29 AM, stephenJ wrote:
> Feel bad for Venus, but great job by Mugs!

Yes, great job, but would have lost to Steffi '89.

stephenJ

Jul 15, 2017, 3:01:11 PM7/15/17
LMAO !!!

calim...@gmx.de

Jul 15, 2017, 3:28:58 PM7/15/17
Thanks to Serena Steffi's legacy is growing and growing. Serena's race to 22 and then 23 slam titles made people in the whole world to reflect back on the times and life of Ms. Graf. Comparisons were inevitable.

People were reminded that success does not always go hand in hand with class, grace, humbleness, charisma. And that the truly greats are revered not only in their home country but world-wide.

Steffi will be talked about even in 50 years. Serena not so much.

Max

Darkfalz

Jul 15, 2017, 5:12:36 PM7/15/17
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 12:29:33 AM UTC+10, StephenJ wrote:
> Feel bad for Venus, but great job by Mugs!

You "feel bad" for someone who killed a senior citizen a couple of weeks ago and then went on with her life like nothing happened?

If 37 year old women are making the final, really speaks volumes about the depth of the women's game.

That being said, I watched about 30 minutes of Cilic and Querry the other day. I know it has ever been thus at Wimbledon (at least for the last 30 years) but fuck me, two giant dudes hitting massive serves until one of them flounders and can't return rally balls, I'd rather watch second rate women's tennis match than that any day of the week. I hope Fed dismantles him.

calim...@gmx.de

Jul 15, 2017, 6:31:10 PM7/15/17
On Saturday, July 15, 2017 at 11:12:36 PM UTC+2, Darkfalz wrote:
> On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 12:29:33 AM UTC+10, StephenJ wrote:
> > Feel bad for Venus, but great job by Mugs!
>
> You "feel bad" for someone who killed a senior citizen a couple of weeks ago and then went on with her life like nothing happened?

Lol, where did Venus kill someone, dickhead?

> If 37 year old women are making the final, really speaks volumes about the depth of the women's game.

That's the first intelligent statement from you this year.

Max

stephenJ

Jul 15, 2017, 6:35:52 PM7/15/17
On 7/15/2017 2:28 PM, calim...@gmx.de wrote:
> On Saturday, July 15, 2017 at 8:21:36 PM UTC+2, StephenJ wrote:

>>> BS.
>>> No chance to overtake Serena as the 21st century greatest.
>>
>> LMAO! BYE BYE STEFFI !!!! :)
>

> Thanks to Serena Steffi's legacy is growing and growing.

HA HA! No More Steffi! LMAO!

stephenJ

Jul 15, 2017, 6:38:01 PM7/15/17
On 7/15/2017 3:45 PM, Gordon Freeman wrote:
> stephenJ <sja...@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>> Mugs has the tools to be a dominant, generation-defining champ, maybe
>> even eventually surpass Serena as open era GOAT.
>>
>> But, other girls have had great skills too, and haven't done it.
>> There's a lot of competition.
>>
>> We'll see if Mugs can. But right now, the sky seems to be the limit
>> for her.
>
> Not today, as the roof was closed!
>
> I was happy she won but sad it ended on a challenge, given she was up
> 5-0 at that point you'd think she'd have had the generosity to let it
> slide to end the match on a better note,

IMO Mugs was wise to challenge and end it right there. Tennis isn't like
most other sports, where if you have a huge lead you can just ride the
clock out. A tennis match can turn for good at any time, and if she let
a gutsy champ like Venus, who has rallied from big deficits before, have
that point, who knows where that would lead to.

stephenJ

Jul 15, 2017, 6:39:55 PM7/15/17
On 7/15/2017 4:12 PM, Darkfalz wrote:
> On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 12:29:33 AM UTC+10, StephenJ wrote:
>> Feel bad for Venus, but great job by Mugs!
>
> You "feel bad" for someone who killed a senior citizen a couple of weeks ago and then went on with her life like nothing happened?

Remind me of when it was that Venus was found guilty in court of killing
anyone? Between all the hot sex and great food i've been enjoying, I
must have missed that.

undecided

Jul 15, 2017, 7:56:47 PM7/15/17
You'd rather have a 6'1'' guy hit massive serves? Fed would have zero wimbledons without his serve. It's probably better than Querrey's and Cilic's combined.

Court_1

Jul 15, 2017, 11:24:42 PM7/15/17
On Saturday, July 15, 2017 at 1:58:46 PM UTC-4, wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:
> In article <c39d04a5-4fe9-4d4f...@googlegroups.com>,
> :
>

> > Muguruza the first player to beat both Williams sisters in slam
> > finals?
>
> Yes. They haven't lost many to people other than each other. Other players
> - Sharapova, Henin, Kerber - have beaten them both at Slams, but Muguruza
> is the only one to have beaten both in Slam *finals*.
>
> wg

Thanks Wendy.

calim...@gmx.de

Jul 16, 2017, 12:48:33 AM7/16/17
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 12:39:55 AM UTC+2, StephenJ wrote:
> On 7/15/2017 4:12 PM, Darkfalz wrote:
> > On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 12:29:33 AM UTC+10, StephenJ wrote:
> >> Feel bad for Venus, but great job by Mugs!
> >
> > You "feel bad" for someone who killed a senior citizen a couple of weeks ago and then went on with her life like nothing happened?
>
> Remind me of when it was that Venus was found guilty in court of killing
> anyone? Between all the hot sex and great food i've been enjoying, I
> must have missed that.

I knew it - some Trumpette fucked your brains out.

Max

Darkfalz

Jul 16, 2017, 3:59:51 AM7/16/17
Of course it is. It takes a lot more skill and variety. He's not hitting it out of a tree like the other two.

wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Jul 16, 2017, 2:54:19 PM7/16/17
In article <edd0ad70-94fe-4e76...@googlegroups.com>,
We were talking about Slam *finals* rather specifically.
wg

wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Jul 16, 2017, 2:54:20 PM7/16/17
In article <5a0af9f7-080f-48c7...@googlegroups.com>,
darkfal...@gmail.com (Darkfalz) wrote:

> *From:* Darkfalz <darkfal...@gmail.com>
> *Date:* Sat, 15 Jul 2017 14:12:35 -0700 (PDT)
The police conclusion is that VW was not at fault in the accident.
wg

jdeluise

Jul 16, 2017, 4:11:45 PM7/16/17
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 13:54:17 -0500, wendyg wrote:

> The police conclusion is that VW was not at fault in the accident.
> wg

Darkfalz is an "alternative facter"

stephenJ

Jul 16, 2017, 5:35:03 PM7/16/17
IIRC, the police report originally said VW was at fault, based on having
entered the intersection on a red light. Then, after the video came out,
they amended the report to say that VW had entered the intersection on
green, deleted the statement that she was at fault, but did not conclude
that she was *not* at fault, rather said it was no under further
investigation.

So the way i read it, the police went from "VW at fault" to "no
determination of fault at this time", rather than to "VW not at fault".