OT: "War of the Planet of the Apes" review ...

stephenJ

Jul 14, 2017, 5:41:59 PM7/14/17
Outstanding film. Two hours and twenty minutes of being entertained in
multiple ways - by first rate SFX, by stunningly good performances from
animated characters, voice actors, and real humans, and most of all by
an excellent story that tells grand narratives by leveraging small
details. Emotionally and cognitively resonant, it hits all the marks.

A-

Highly recommended.

---

TT

Jul 14, 2017, 6:00:35 PM7/14/17
stephenJ kirjoitti 15.7.2017 klo 0:41:
> Outstanding film. Two hours and twenty minutes of being entertained in
> multiple ways - by first rate SFX, by stunningly good performances from
> animated characters, voice actors, and real humans, and most of all by
> an excellent story that tells grand narratives by leveraging small
> details. Emotionally and cognitively resonant, it hits all the marks.
>
> A-
>
> Highly recommended.

An entire planet of apes? And they have war? This sounds like really
intriguing concept... thanks!

jdeluise

Jul 14, 2017, 6:46:36 PM7/14/17
On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 16:41:56 -0500, stephenJ wrote:

> Highly recommended.

So it must be mediocre.

Gracchus

Jul 14, 2017, 6:50:30 PM7/14/17
Didn't you love the snappy review though? Only a real cinephile could write something that sophisticated. Almost makes you forget he's talking about an ape movie.

krisr...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2017, 8:55:06 PM7/14/17
I am sure the apes in the movie are more intelligent than Jaroast.

Court_1

Jul 14, 2017, 11:30:46 PM7/14/17
LOL.

And why is he posting his movie review on a tennis ng where "movie novices"(according to him) reside when he continues to tell us the reason he doesn't discuss other movies with us in the movie threads is not due to the fact that he hasn't seen them but is due to the fact that he wouldn't deign to discuss these movies with "philistines" on a tennis ng.

LOL @ his movie tastes-- his movie choices continue to show a real sophisticate--War of the Planet of the Apes, Captain Underpants, Baywatch, Pirates of the Caribbean Part 20, Spider-Man Homecoming, The Fate of the Furious, Wonder Woman, etc. Is this a 50+ year old person you would want to socialize with?

What an obnoxious individual.

TT

Jul 15, 2017, 12:32:58 AM7/15/17
The review was emotionally and cognitively resonant, hitting all the marks.

"Stunningly good performances from animated characters"

PeteWasLucky

Jul 15, 2017, 12:48:39 AM7/15/17
> LOL @ his movie tastes

I am not sure it's about taste if he watches 2-3 movies a week.

TT

Jul 15, 2017, 1:09:17 AM7/15/17
Court_1 kirjoitti 15.7.2017 klo 6:30:
> LOL @ his movie tastes-- his movie choices continue to show a real sophisticate--War of the Planet of the Apes, Captain Underpants, Baywatch, Pirates of the Caribbean Part 20, Spider-Man Homecoming, The Fate of the Furious, Wonder Woman, etc.

This is not a guy who has seen all those classic art films he claims he has.

TT

Jul 15, 2017, 1:18:55 AM7/15/17
PeteWasLucky kirjoitti 15.7.2017 klo 7:48:
>> LOL @ his movie tastes
>
> I am not sure it's about taste if he watches 2-3 movies a week.

Luckily his local movie theatre also showed The Phantom Carriage 1921.

stephenJ

Jul 15, 2017, 5:56:44 AM7/15/17
Luckily for me, your and C1's pathetic retreat to this last bunker
doesn't change reality at all, LOL.

stephenJ

Jul 15, 2017, 8:44:25 AM7/15/17
It's better than at least 300 of the 900+ films I've seen on that
"1,000" list of yours, and if you saw it I'd bet you'd agree. But your
concept of a good film is so narrow/limited to what others have decreed
on various lists that you probably won't ever find that out.

Your loss. :(

TT

Jul 15, 2017, 12:55:57 PM7/15/17
stephenJ kirjoitti 15.7.2017 klo 15:44:
> On 7/14/2017 5:00 PM, TT wrote:
>> stephenJ kirjoitti 15.7.2017 klo 0:41:
>>> Outstanding film. Two hours and twenty minutes of being entertained
>>> in multiple ways - by first rate SFX, by stunningly good performances
>>> from animated characters, voice actors, and real humans, and most of
>>> all by an excellent story that tells grand narratives by leveraging
>>> small details. Emotionally and cognitively resonant, it hits all the
>>> marks.
>>>
>>> A-
>>>
>>> Highly recommended.
>
>> An entire planet of apes? And they have war? This sounds like really
>> intriguing concept... thanks!
>
> It's better than at least 300 of the 900+ films I've seen on that
> "1,000" list of yours, and if you saw it I'd bet you'd agree. But your
> concept of a good film is so narrow/limited to what others have decreed
> on various lists that you probably won't ever find that out.
>
> Your loss. :(

Well I've seen (and rated) every planet of the apes film ever made, all
9 of them. Yeah, I sure am limited in that respect.

As for agreeing with others/critics - that couldn't be further from the
truth...

Darkfalz

Jul 15, 2017, 5:05:00 PM7/15/17
On Saturday, July 15, 2017 at 7:41:59 AM UTC+10, StephenJ wrote:
> Outstanding film. Two hours and twenty minutes of being entertained in
> multiple ways - by first rate SFX, by stunningly good performances from
> animated characters, voice actors, and real humans, and most of all by
> an excellent story that tells grand narratives by leveraging small
> details. Emotionally and cognitively resonant, it hits all the marks.
>
> A-
>
> Highly recommended.

The last one wasn't very good compared to the first. Most films these days are garbage, plots that cater to the LCD and characters lifted straight from SJW propaganda. Force Awakens was the nail in the coffin for me as far as films in general and franchises I cared about.

Still, I'll see it when it's released digitally. After the 2016 election and aftermath I am not giving any more money to Hollywood via the cinema.

Chimps only have a lifespan of 40-50 years or so. You'd think Caesar was getting too old for this shit.

stephenJ

Jul 16, 2017, 12:03:23 AM7/16/17
Well then go see this one, arguably the best, and 'rate' it as well.
What's stopping you?