Tomic loses to Lammer in Basel

jdeluise

Oct 29, 2011, 8:48:23 PM10/29/11
No, not Lamer. He was seeded #1 in this qualifying match and he did
manage to win a tiebreaker.

Scott

Oct 29, 2011, 9:14:33 PM10/29/11
On Oct 29, 8:48 pm, jdeluise <jdelu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No, not Lamer.  He was seeded #1 in this qualifying match and he did
> manage to win a tiebreaker.

maybe Tomic hasn't been reading all the praise Whisper has for him
here?

Patrick Kehoe

Oct 30, 2011, 1:12:37 AM10/30/11
Tomic has a bit of the "Don't-you-know-I'm-a-superstar" attitude about
him... as we all know, he's had attitude issues for a while, which his
father has - at times - taken the heat for as well (though the dad can
be a major tool also)... so, he's clearly got a lot of maturing and
attitude adjustment to do/make, if he's going to continue on into the
top ranks... he can react rather oddly (tempermentally) when things
aren't going his way... nothing he can't or shouldn't outgrow!

Whisper

Oct 30, 2011, 5:53:51 AM10/30/11
I have zero expectations for Tomic in tune-ups as they mean nothing.
You guys are free to dicuss significance of tune-ups matches but I'm not
interested. Guys like you wouldn't have given Goran any chance at
Wimbledon 2001 given he needed a wildcard, & early in the yr had to
playing qualifying for AO.

Vlado

Oct 30, 2011, 7:50:58 AM10/30/11
You are too obvious, There is no such a thing as a tune up especially
if you
are not tuning for anything. The only tuneup I can think of is Queens
and the
masters are required tournaments
Tuneups were derogatory statements for tournaments back in time where
top
players hid from each other to supposedly prepare for grand slams
where they
would only. Clearly Tomic is not a top player yet nor is he preparing
for a top
tournament and neither is he avoiding top players.
Other than that, can you just remove yourself from posting for
sometime, get a life and do something different before posting here?

Superdave

Oct 30, 2011, 9:17:34 AM10/30/11
RST has had ZERO expectations of you for a long time now.

You fool nobody anymore.

Patrick Kehoe

Oct 30, 2011, 5:35:49 PM10/30/11
On Oct 30, 6:17 am, Superdave <DaveHazelw...@remail-it.net> wrote:
> You fool nobody anymore.- Hide quoted text -

W doesn't seem to understand that 80% of an ATP professional players
career is ALL ABOUT the non-majors... :))))))

jdeluise

Oct 30, 2011, 7:28:13 PM10/30/11

On 30-Oct-2011, Patrick Kehoe <pke...@telus.net> wrote:

> W doesn't seem to understand that 80% of an ATP professional players
> career is ALL ABOUT the non-majors... :))))))

Yes, and especially for a guy seeded 1 in the *qualies* of an ATP 500. He
needs points if he wants to get out of that morass.

Whisper

Oct 31, 2011, 6:11:26 AM10/31/11
On 30/10/2011 10:50 PM, Vlado wrote:
> On Oct 30, 5:53 am, Whisper<beaver...@ozemail.com> wrote:

>>> maybe Tomic hasn't been reading all the praise Whisper has for him
>>> here?
>>
>> I have zero expectations for Tomic in tune-ups as they mean nothing.
>> You guys are free to dicuss significance of tune-ups matches but I'm not
>> interested. Guys like you wouldn't have given Goran any chance at
>> Wimbledon 2001 given he needed a wildcard,& early in the yr had to
>> playing qualifying for AO.
>
> You are too obvious, There is no such a thing as a tune up especially

Everything that isn't a slam is meaningless.

If you finish your career with no slams you are of zero consequence.

Whisper

Oct 31, 2011, 6:13:01 AM10/31/11
On 31/10/2011 8:35 AM, Patrick Kehoe wrote:
> On Oct 30, 6:17 am, Superdave<DaveHazelw...@remail-it.net> wrote:

>>> I have zero expectations for Tomic in tune-ups as they mean nothing.
>>> You guys are free to dicuss significance of tune-ups matches but I'm not
>>> interested. Guys like you wouldn't have given Goran any chance at
>>> Wimbledon 2001 given he needed a wildcard,& early in the yr had to
>>> playing qualifying for AO.
>>
>> RST has had ZERO expectations of you for a long time now.
>>
>> You fool nobody anymore.- Hide quoted text -

> W doesn't seem to understand that 80% of an ATP professional players
> career is ALL ABOUT the non-majors... :))))))

Why wouldn't I realize that? It's only a handful of players who are
legit slam contenders, the rest mean nothing to tennis once they retire.

Professor X

Oct 31, 2011, 10:13:47 AM10/31/11
Only a handful of footballers will ever play for teams that win
anything major.
Only a handful of Basketball players will win the NBA
Only a handful of cricketers will win the world cup.
Only a handful of lawyers will work on cases involving high profile
celebrities.
etc etc

I think the word you are looking for is "notorious" not "meaningless"

Professor X

Oct 31, 2011, 10:14:57 AM10/31/11
What is a challenger in whispers world?

Patrick Kehoe

Oct 31, 2011, 12:27:12 PM10/31/11
> Why wouldn't I realize that? [clipped]

No one really knows...

jdeluise

Oct 31, 2011, 12:55:13 PM10/31/11

On 31-Oct-2011, Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com> wrote:

> Why wouldn't I realize that? It's only a handful of players who are
> legit slam contenders, the rest mean nothing to tennis once they retire.

So what? The smart play is to increase your ranking where you can, and give
yourself a more favorable draw in the next major in the process.

jdeluise

Oct 31, 2011, 12:56:41 PM10/31/11

On 31-Oct-2011, Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com> wrote:

> Everything that isn't a slam is meaningless.
>
> If you finish your career with no slams you are of zero consequence.

If Wozniacki continues to keep her #1 and not win a slam, she might be
remembered for that more than for winning a single slam.

Joe Ramirez

Oct 31, 2011, 1:16:07 PM10/31/11
Like Mecir?

TT

Oct 31, 2011, 1:27:13 PM10/31/11
Like Pim Pim.

Professor X

Oct 31, 2011, 1:50:40 PM10/31/11
Does that mean whisper thinks the tennis world remembers Costa/Gaudio/
TJohansson more than Rios/Mecir/Murray e.t.c

TT

Oct 31, 2011, 3:03:19 PM10/31/11
I suggest we do a "mother test" here: I'm certain Murray is the only
player of which my mother has heard of. Thus everyone else is a
non-factor to general public and thus of zero consequence.

Professor X

Oct 31, 2011, 3:18:23 PM10/31/11
lol

Sakari Lund

Oct 31, 2011, 6:00:02 PM10/31/11
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 21:03:19 +0200, TT <as...@usenet.org> wrote:

>> Does that mean whisper thinks the tennis world remembers Costa/Gaudio/
>> TJohansson more than Rios/Mecir/Murray e.t.c
>
>I suggest we do a "mother test" here: I'm certain Murray is the only
>player of which my mother has heard of. Thus everyone else is a
>non-factor to general public and thus of zero consequence.

That opens up great opportunities to comment, but I'll be nice and let
it go...

jdeluise

Oct 31, 2011, 6:08:45 PM10/31/11

On 31-Oct-2011, TT <as...@usenet.org> wrote:

> I suggest we do a "mother test" here: I'm certain Murray is the only
> player of which my mother has heard of. Thus everyone else is a
> non-factor to general public and thus of zero consequence.

Your mother hasn't heard of Nadal from *you* !?!?

Joe Ramirez

Oct 31, 2011, 6:12:35 PM10/31/11
The love that dare not speak its name. :)

Sakari Lund

Oct 31, 2011, 6:28:56 PM10/31/11
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 22:08:45 GMT, "jdeluise" <jdel...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I think he meant from Costa/Gaudio/ TJohansson/Rios/Mecir/Murray
group. I can't see any reason why anyone here would have heard of
Murray but not about Nadal. Still opens up great possibilities...

Scott

Oct 31, 2011, 6:47:38 PM10/31/11
so if someone is clearly doing the most to help the WTA, by playing in
many tournaments and consistently performing well, despite ridiculous
travel demands, she is "of zero consequence"??

TT

Oct 31, 2011, 7:04:58 PM10/31/11
Fucker.

TT

Oct 31, 2011, 7:03:51 PM10/31/11
You already did.

TT

Oct 31, 2011, 7:07:35 PM10/31/11
She has...

You forget that I live in her basement, as Sakari obviously suggests.

DavidW

Oct 31, 2011, 7:27:02 PM10/31/11
TT wrote:
> I'm certain Murray is the only player of which my mother has heard of.

The only player of which your mother has heard.

Joe Ramirez

Nov 1, 2011, 12:12:02 AM11/1/11
"of whom"

reilloc

Nov 1, 2011, 12:34:02 AM11/1/11
Tell it to Harry Hopman.

LNC

Sakari Lund

Nov 1, 2011, 8:14:54 AM11/1/11
You only guessed a little part of it. Since you are already calling me
names even though I didn't say anything, I can as well say what I had
in mind. Something like:

It depends on the mother. I was talking so much about tennis even as a
kid that she heard about it a lot. Not to mention she played tennis
herself long before I did and followed it somewhat. I would not be
surprised if she knew all those names, especially Mecir and Rios, more
so than Murray, although I am pretty sure she knows Murray too.
Whereas your mother has only heard the names of tennis players from
the basement during the last few years.

:-)

TT

Nov 1, 2011, 1:35:39 PM11/1/11
Well you missed my point completely. It was an example of normal person,
not a big tennis fan.

And I doubt your mama or papa knows Mecir, Rios, Gaudio etc.

Sakari Lund

Nov 1, 2011, 3:17:48 PM11/1/11
I didn't miss it, it just was like an invitation to comment :-)
Especially an older person is more likely to know Mecir, who was quite
famous even in here, than Murray.

>And I doubt your mama or papa knows Mecir, Rios, Gaudio etc.

I just told you I wouldn't be surprised if my mother knew all of them,
but especially Mecir, Rios and Murray. If you want to bring my father
to it, he has seen many of them live...

drew

Nov 1, 2011, 3:08:31 PM11/1/11
On Oct 31, 6:13 am, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com> wrote:

> Why wouldn't I realize that?  It's only a handful of players who are
> legit slam contenders, the rest mean nothing to tennis once they retire.

You can tell Tomic only tries to win at the major events....and then
only the
blue chip ones. I've never seen him really get arsed to win the
Australian Open.
He mostly shows up in foreign countries to play a round or two while
he does
a little sightseeing.

Whisper is the same way...until he get's a Lifetime Achievement Award
from the Academy he's
going to continue to act poorly.

DavidW

Nov 1, 2011, 5:47:08 PM11/1/11
Yes, but 'which' is acceptable, and I deliberately used the same words except
for the one correction.

TT

Nov 1, 2011, 6:25:41 PM11/1/11
So your argument appears to be that my mother is a young person.

Mecir was not famous here by ANY stretch of imagination.

Javier González

Nov 2, 2011, 8:25:50 AM11/2/11
Both of them know of Gaudio and Rios. Have seen them play live, in
fact.

What? xD

Javier González

Nov 2, 2011, 9:44:36 AM11/2/11
In fact, and now that I remember, my parents actually where invited to
Rios' wedding. LOL.

TT

Nov 2, 2011, 10:13:06 AM11/2/11
Note that my father has PLAYED with Rios, Mecir AND Whisper.

Javier González

Nov 2, 2011, 12:53:01 PM11/2/11
ROFL.

But srsly, my father had a close working relationship with Jorge Rios
at the time (high position in a company where Jorge Rios sat on the
board of directors) so he got the invite. They had a blast, but my
mother noted it was kinda sad, because there where about 800 guests
and about 10 or maybe 20 where clearly Marcelo's friends, the rest
where mostly family and social contacts of his parents. One of the
costs of not living really anywhere most of the year, I guess.